Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm assuming it's okay to write down a few points of information, like what hate cards they brought in after sideboarding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sharzak posted:

Here's an idea: ask your opponent "is it okay if I just take a picture instead of writing it down?" If he says yes, then do that. If he says no, write it down.

This is perfectly fine at FNM. The issue is Competitive and Professional REL.

bhsman posted:

Why would you need more than one photo?

Why do you need more than one Thoughtseize in your deck?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Looking for Young Pyromancers on UK magic card sites makes me wonder why the prices on those are so much higher compared to places like tcgplayer, does anyone know? I mean, I don't want to pay $20 for a playset of them! :psyduck:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ScarletBrother posted:

This is fine for FNM, but it's still against the loving rules for competitive REL and above, which is what I've been saying for 3 loving pages now. It's a bad habit to get into if you want to get into serious play.

What is the point of just arguing "it's against the rules so we shouldn't discuss it"?

Stinky Pit posted:

Its not about how many photos you need or don't dude, its about how you can't write rules, regarding many things not just slow play, comparable to those that exist for physical notes. You can't have one set of rules that doesn't apply to photos-as-notes and one rule applying to physical ones. :psyduck: Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Well no poo poo, I'm not blind to those differences; I'm talking about the effective differences being relatively few at the end of the day. We can spend all day discussing theoretical restrictions on the use of phones, but my point is that if the worry is disseminating information in violation of the rules, or the amount of time it takes to take a picture versus writing card names down, and so on, that there doesn't seem to be a lot of meaningful difference.

The hostility to that argument is what's surprising me.

AnacondaHL posted:

Why do you need more than one Thoughtseize in your deck?

You take another picture because the other one is out of date. I was responding to the 'look through 10 pictures' comment.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 14, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bhsman posted:

Well no poo poo, I'm not blind to those differences; I'm talking about the effective differences being relatively few at the end of the day. We can spend all day discussing theoretical restrictions on the use of phones, but my point is that if the worry is disseminating information in violation of the rules, or the amount of time it takes to take a picture versus writing card names down, and so on, that there doesn't seem to be a lot of meaningful difference.

There is one. It takes a person MUCH less time to scribble down 7 cards (more often than not it will be less than that, because of duplicates etc), and it precludes any sort of foul play (like looking at other notes or anything else).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Serperoth posted:

There is one. It takes a person MUCH less time to scribble down 7 cards (more often than not it will be less than that, because of duplicates etc), and it precludes any sort of foul play (like looking at other notes or anything else).

If it's 7 cards, then a phone is almost always faster unless you have Pringles cans for thumbs.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

bhsman posted:

The hostility to that argument is what's surprising me.

I apologize if I seem hostile.

How easily you can or cannot reference a picture on a phone is a stupid and irrelevant argument that has no bearing on how rules for tournament play are written. Not that you're alone in trying to discuss it or anything, you certainly had help, but your position gave the appearance of someone completely blind to the obvious obstacles in writing enforceable rules for pictures-as-notes, trying to wave away explanations by bragging about how easily you could look at images on your updated iPhone.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

bhsman posted:

If it's 7 cards, then a phone is almost always faster unless you have Pringles cans for thumbs.

Yo, jesus. Not everybody is as good with their phone as you are. The rule is in place to keep all people acting under the same rules.

Stop thinking that just because you're good with your phone that everybody is the same. My smartphone sucks dick and I am not upgrading for a while and it would take a lot longer for me to take a photo than to write things down.

Yes, it's not a big deal at fnm, where you said you normally play, so you can continue on as normal.

Let's seriously drop this dumb discussion.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bhsman posted:

I love my magical phone which never takes more than a second to load the camera app, and focuses in an instant, with superior strike-out technology whenever a card is played.

But seriously now, uggy is right, this is a dumb derail. Do whatever you want at your FNM, or ask your FNM's judge. Personally, when I actually become a Judge, if anyone asks, I'll say no. My job is not to time your thumbs or criticize your handwriting.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Stinky Pit posted:

I apologize if I seem hostile.

It's cool. :respek:

quote:

How easily you can or cannot reference a picture on a phone is a stupid and irrelevant argument that has no bearing on how rules for tournament play are written. Not that you're alone in trying to discuss it or anything, you certainly had help, but your position gave the appearance of someone completely blind to the obvious obstacles in writing enforceable rules for pictures-as-notes, trying to wave away explanations by bragging about how easily you could look at images on your updated iPhone.

I was arguing as if that was assumed, just pointing out that there seemed to be this disconnect and trying to emphasize that, yes, you can easily look up images if you have an updated iPhone since that is the perspective I'm speaking directly from. For a long time I eschewed taking photos in the moment because it would take so long, but beginning with the last iOS update it got a lot fast. You just flick up on the screen from the bottom and it brings up a little sub-menu. Hitting the phone icon there magically opens the app faster than doing it normally.

I don't why the hell this is the case, but it is. It's been tremendously convenient and it's why I started using it for Magic.

uggy posted:

Yo, jesus. Not everybody is as good with their phone as you are. The rule is in place to keep all people acting under the same rules.

I'm the last person to admit to being some phone savant, so just drop that dumb argument right now.

And you can have rules allowing people to take pictures with their phones under certain conditions so that 'all people act under the same rules,' so I'm not entirely sure what you're going for there.

quote:

Stop thinking that just because you're good with your phone that everybody is the same. My smartphone sucks dick and I am not upgrading for a while and it would take a lot longer for me to take a photo than to write things down.

Then use your loving notepad like anyone else would sensibly do, Jesus Christ. :psyduck: I'm not advocating the phone thing as the best way, just as a way that I found more convenient.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

uggy posted:

And I am bad with my handwriting. Why should I be impaired by having to try and read my scrawl of a mess of a note when I could have just taken in a pic in less time than you take to write it down.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Simple solution: ban Thoughtseize, Duress, Lifebane Zombie, and Slaughter Games.

Works for me!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Well I could see that. I'd still snatch them up pretty quick if I could get sets for $1/card for trade fodder if nothing else. Still can't imagine either card hanging under $1 unless something from JiN comes out that's more useful post-rotation.

I bought a set of Thalias for $10 about 3 months after DKA came out. I bet Spirit will be at that price point at least until rotation.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Honestly, everyone should stop playing Magic. It's a bad game played by horrible people.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

whydirt posted:

Honestly, everyone should stop playing Magic. It's a bad game played by horrible people.

It's the paper equivalent of EvE: Online.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I didn't think anything could top BoPchat, but you guys found a way.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know what you can do with a written list of cards that you can't with a photo? You can cross the cards off the list as they are played and don't have to remember what's still there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mehall posted:

It's the paper equivalent of EvE: Online.

Only if you're playing Storm or Eggs.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Look, it's really obvious that the only time it's okay to photograph a game in progress is when you need proof that someone plays with their lands in front. A photo is admissible as evidence in court and you can make sure these people end up in jail, where they belong.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I've only ever drafted once before and that was at the Modern Masters release. I was planning on doing it tonight for Standard. How do I be good at it?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

Only if you're playing Storm or Eggs.

It's more like playing a draw-go mirror match.

You both sit around for ages waiting for something to happen, then when it does, someone is quickly left disappointed, but it can still take a while for them to die.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sharzak posted:

I've only ever drafted once before and that was at the Modern Masters release. I was planning on doing it tonight for Standard. How do I be good at it?

Do it, pretty much. Gotta put in the practice to get anywhere.

More elaborately, it helps to watch channelfireball draft videos or find limited twitch streamers that you like, but there's no way to get good at draft without putting in the time.

Also, by "Standard" I assume you mean the current block limited draft, since standard is a constructed format :eng101:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
^embarrassing mixup! thanks.

I also just remembered there was at one point a draft or limited thread. I'll poke my head in there, thanks.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Anyone ever seen something like this? I got this ages and ages ago, came out the box like this, from Phyrexia vs. Coalition.

It looks like a signature, but it's definitely printed onto the card.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Star Man posted:

You know what you can do with a written list of cards that you can't with a photo?

Hug it? Teach it to love?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

mehall posted:

It looks like a signature, but it's definitely printed onto the card.

Is this something like a QA inspector signing off on a run, only they left the card in the machine? Weird.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That signature thing is cool.

I can't believe in all these pages nobody pointed out the real reason they don't allow phones:

- Not everyone has one. Or as useful a one to another. Allowing a resource to some players creates an unfair advantage.
- Two, who is going to know what you're doing when you're messing around with your phone during a match? "Oh I was just referring to the photo of my opponent's hand I took five minutes ago." Nowadays phones can look up anything. Why would judges want to deal with that?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Veyrall posted:

Also, Wizards likes their cards being expensive, and will likely only bring the price "down" if it's guaranteed to rise back up due to increased availability increasing demand. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that most Wizards employees directly involved in Magic trade cards with advance knowledge of what archetypes will exist/become better supported, thus supplementing their income by a notable margin.

It's a :tinfoil:Conspiracy:tinfoil:.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Veyrall posted:

Also, Wizards likes their cards being expensive, and will likely only bring the price "down" if it's guaranteed to rise back up due to increased availability increasing demand. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that most Wizards employees directly involved in Magic trade cards with advance knowledge of what archetypes will exist/become better supported, thus supplementing their income by a notable margin.

Knowing multiple people at WOTC: no one does this. They'd be fired instantly.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I can't believe in all these pages nobody pointed out the real reason they don't allow phones:

- Not everyone has one. Or as useful a one to another. Allowing a resource to some players creates an unfair advantage.

That this is in a thread about a trading card game is loving hilarious.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Promoted Pawn posted:

Not really? I see your point but the cards themselves having value is different from outside technology.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I work in a phone store therefore it is essential to my job that I have a smartphone, but I frequently do not own or have pen/paper.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
man this thread moves fast.

Okay, looking for a recommendation for a ~$50 budget mono black devotion deck. My friend has built his blue/white heroic hoplite hidden strings deck and I want to be able to put up a fight. It seems like mono black devotion could be fun even if a budget version isn't going to win me any tournaments. This is strictly casual play.

I have an Erebos and 4x boon of erebos, 4x read the bones, 4x gray merchant, etc. What's a reasonably priced build for a mono-black devotion deck? Please keep in mind I'm really new to MTG.

edit: I don't have any thoughseizes unfortunately :cry:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Promoted Pawn posted:

Check your privilege duder. Kids play. People all over the world play. You can play magic with next to no money if you stick to limited and can recycle your winnings.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Promoted Pawn posted:

That you seem to think that every single person who plays Magic in the world, even at FNM level, has a smart phone with a camera is equally loving hilarious. For example, I haven't had a phone with a camera on it until last year. I simply never needed one.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

What is your favorite instagram filters for putting on your opponents deck? I pick mine by which deck they are playing. Mono Blue is 1977, whereas R/G is OBVIOUSLY Walden.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

New rule, you can take pictures of your opponent's hand but you have to photoshop in a Shiba Inu offering commentary on their deck choice.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

threefive posted:

Knowing multiple people at WOTC: no one does this. They'd be fired instantly.
Why? It's completely legal, unless their employment contracts specifically bar it, and piss-easy to hide either way. Granted, the possibility of this behavior is not evidence that they do, in fact, engage in this behavior. It is merely one possible explanation as to why Wizards works so hard to keep the secondary market from experiencing any shocks.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Not to derail photo chat but

Count Bleck posted:

Every FNM has the inevitable U/W mirror in which three of us commentate like its a featured golf match.

"And now Walser is playing his third scryland, he scrys it and does not like it. Mercual responds to Walser's turn ending by Revving for six. Again."

Only if I get to yell BABA BOOEY! at every board wipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Veyrall posted:

Why? It's completely legal, unless their employment contracts specifically bar it, and piss-easy to hide either way. Granted, the possibility of this behavior is not evidence that they do, in fact, engage in this behavior. It is merely one possible explanation as to why Wizards works so hard to keep the secondary market from experiencing any shocks.

I guarantee you that anyone in a position to affect corporate policy this way already makes enough money that they don't need to give a poo poo about insider trading, at least not at the level of wizard cardboard rectangles.

(Note: People like Maro and Forsythe aren't in such a policy-affecting position, if we take them at their implied word that they would like to roll back or skirt around the obstacles to reprinting but are not in a position to do so. I'm talking about the Hasbro CEOs here.)

• Locked thread