Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bizwank posted:

Which you can't, because the airport has no speaker terminals. Add this to it though and it does:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/twenty-airplay-amplifier
Why not just buy active monitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Kaizoku posted:

If you hook the speakers to the airport, you can use the ATV to automatically put out audio over airplay to said speakers. That is exactly how I do this, and it works fine.

EDIT: That means no DAC and no Amp. I use this speaker, but use the wired connection.

bizwank posted:

Which you can't, because the airport has no speaker terminals. Add this to it though and it does:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/twenty-airplay-amplifier

Therein lies the problem.... My whole issue is the fact that I want a single, compact unit that can sit neatly on the shelf, can convert the digital signal coming from the ATV and spit it out to analog so I can use regular ol' passive speakers... AND have a remote control so I can adjust the freaking volume. Sure, I could certainly buy a bunch of gadgets and other stuff to convert data around in proprietary formats with a menagerie of adapters, but I want a simple solution.
As far as I can tell, there is really nothing out there that isn't expensive and/or gigantic.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

vas0line posted:

Therein lies the problem.... My whole issue is the fact that I want a single, compact unit that can sit neatly on the shelf, can convert the digital signal coming from the ATV and spit it out to analog so I can use regular ol' passive speakers... AND have a remote control so I can adjust the freaking volume. Sure, I could certainly buy a bunch of gadgets and other stuff to convert data around in proprietary formats with a menagerie of adapters, but I want a simple solution.
As far as I can tell, there is really nothing out there that isn't expensive and/or gigantic.

Would one of those home theaters in a box fit the bill? They are typically much smaller than a standard receiver.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I was looking for a DAC/amp combo
with speaker terminals a while ago too and I had trouble finding anything decent.

I think you're going to be stuck settling for a home theater receiver even though they are giant. Check local classifieds, you can probably find somebody unloading their old basic HDMI receiver because they wanted to upgrade to 3D or something.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Is there a way to get access to all of the most current apps (most notably the new WWE app) without updating the Apple TV 2? I'm currently on 5.0.1 and it's been really stable for me for a long time, so I was hoping for some kind of workaround.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Acrolos posted:

Is there a way to get access to all of the most current apps (most notably the new WWE app) without updating the Apple TV 2? I'm currently on 5.0.1 and it's been really stable for me for a long time, so I was hoping for some kind of workaround.

I think the only option would be Airplay streaming if the WWE app allows it.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I think the only option would be Airplay streaming if the WWE app allows it.

It does, I think. I guess I'll dust off my old ipad and test it out.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Airplay has definitely worked on the WWE App in the past. Last year I watched an entire PPV that way. I'd be surprised if that changed for the Network, since it's technically the same app.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I just verified and it works. Thanks!

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Acrolos posted:

Acrolos posted:

Just curious- Are you jail broken? Is there any other real reason to not update other than that you don't really want to?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

1997 posted:

Just curious- Are you jail broken? Is there any other real reason to not update other than that you don't really want to?

Yes, I'm jailbroken. Sorry, I thought I mentioned that in the post, but I see that I didn't.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I have an ATV 2 jailbroken on some older firmware but now netflix doesnt work anymore. Can i upgrade it to the latest firmware and then downgrade to whatever the last jailbroken one is?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not by any means I was able to find - unless you can get your hands on a copy of the early v5 jailbreakable firmware and manage to get it installed / signed, you'll only get Netflix back by losing the jailbreak.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
If you've been waiting to pick one (or another one) up, Apple is offering a $25 iTunes gift card with purchase for the next week. However, that probably means something new's on its way. Or not. It's Apple so who knows.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karki posted:

If you've been waiting to pick one (or another one) up, Apple is offering a $25 iTunes gift card with purchase for the next week. However, that probably means something new's on its way. Or not. It's Apple so who knows.

Interesting. Has there been any word about rolling out a new one?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Interesting. Has there been any word about rolling out a new one?

Not officially obviously, but there's been some rumors that they'll be unveiling a new one and an SDK in the next few months.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

Not officially obviously, but there's been some rumors that they'll be unveiling a new one and an SDK in the next few months.

yeah it just doesn't seem like Apple to do a promotion like that unless they're trying to reduce inventory in the channel.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Has anyone experienced HBO GO just sitting at the "Accessing HBO GO" screen with the loading wheel then saying something like "you must reside within the 50 states of the US"? It's only doing this on my Apple TV and not on my iPhone which is on the same network. I don't have any sort of unblock.us service or anything.

Edit: ok I was wrong. It doesn't work on my iPhone, at least not on the same network. It does, however, work on my iPhone with wifi turned off. However, I get a different error message on my iPhone with wifi turned on. It says that HBO GO requires an internet connection. But only if I try to play a video, it let's me browse and everything.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 6, 2014

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Just traded up my aTV2 for an aTV3 and made a cool £75 in the process. Is being able to put XBMC on this thing really worth that extra money?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thinking of getting one of these. One question: can anyone with Comcast tell me of the HBO Go app works with it? HBO Go won't work with Comcast on my PS3 is why I'm asking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you've got the setup, yeah. If your don't otherwise exist in the xbmc ecosystem then probably not. It really depends on where you get your content.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

Thinking of getting one of these. One question: can anyone with Comcast tell me of the HBO Go app works with it? HBO Go won't work with Comcast on my PS3 is why I'm asking.

Yes, it does.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Soul Glo posted:

The only supported content provider that doesn't seem to work is ABC/Disney. I'm not sure if that is comcast, everyone seems to be blaming everyone else when I call support lines.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anyone interested in buying an ATV2? I have two I wouldn't mind upgrading to ATV3s since I don't have either of them jail broken. What are they worth these days?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

e.pilot posted:

Anyone interested in buying an ATV2? I have two I wouldn't mind upgrading to ATV3s since I don't have either of them jail broken. What are they worth these days?
I was just looking into ditching mine as well, they're pretty consistently going for around $200 on Ebay, $250 if jailbroken.

I'm probably moving to a Roku3, I'm tired of wrestling with plexconnect, and since the Roku's remote uses RF I can tuck the box up behind my wall-mounted TV and ditch the shelf under it. It'll do everything the ATV can except access the iTunes store, which is currently only used by my wife to watch Here Comes Honey Boo-boo so I think we'll survive.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

6.1 firmware is out. It makes it much easier to rearrange and even hide channels that you don't care about. I believe you had to resort to Parental Controls to hide channels in the past.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did I miss safari being added on the appletv? One of the fixes in the changelog for the update is: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The OS probably contains WebKit even if no apps use it, and they would roll in any security fixes because that's always a good thing.

Where's the changelog?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What I saw was on Macintouch.

Edit: and apparently here (security changes at least) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6163?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

6.1 firmware is out. It makes it much easier to rearrange and even hide channels that you don't care about. I believe you had to resort to Parental Controls to hide channels in the past.

6.1 auto pushed or do I have to seek it?

Anyone know if it hurts Plexconnect?

[edit]
To answer my own post, folks on the internet are confirming PlexConnect still works post 6.1 update.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 10, 2014

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Feenix posted:

[edit]
To answer my own post, folks on the internet are confirming PlexConnect still works post 6.1 update.

Just updated here and 6.1 is working fine with my self signed certs and plex connect 0.3.1+

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
My 6.1 update has been stuck on "preparing update" with no progress bar movement for fifteen minutes now. Should I keep waiting or try restarting it? (By the time I get an answer in this thread I will have given up and restarted, so really this is a silly question.)

Edit: I pulled the power cord and it rebooted just fine.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 12, 2014

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Removing all those channels I will never use is great, but watching anything from my iTunes library seems reeeeaaally flaky now. Without fail it kicks me out to the main menu every 20 minutes.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Are Apple TV remotes interchangeable or is each one tied to a specific device?

I recently bought an ATV3 for my dad and kept his old ATV2 for myself, but I'm starting to think that I might have grabbed the wrong remote because the one I have at home won't work. I can see the ATV white light blink when I press a button, but nothing happens.

I can still use my iPhone as a remote, so it's not a big deal.

I haven't tried reinstalling the ATV's software yet, since I'd rather not lose my jailbreak, so I'm hoping someone else has an answer.

Edit: obviously I'll try swapping back the remotes the next time I'm at my dad's house, but I'm hoping for a more immediate solution.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Are Apple TV remotes interchangeable or is each one tied to a specific device?

I recently bought an ATV3 for my dad and kept his old ATV2 for myself, but I'm starting to think that I might have grabbed the wrong remote because the one I have at home won't work. I can see the ATV white light blink when I press a button, but nothing happens.

I can still use my iPhone as a remote, so it's not a big deal.

I haven't tried reinstalling the ATV's software yet, since I'd rather not lose my jailbreak, so I'm hoping someone else has an answer.

Edit: obviously I'll try swapping back the remotes the next time I'm at my dad's house, but I'm hoping for a more immediate solution.

You might have to set it up through the settings menu on Apple TV

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
There are simple commands for un-pairing and re-pairing a remote. I think it's hold Left+Select for the former and hold Right+Select for the latter.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Anecdotally, I've had three of those remotes, one I bought for my Mac when I was using it for an HTPC, and one each with AppleTV I've bought and they've all worked interchangeably.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The remote has no smarts itself, it just emits infrared signals tagged with a unique ID. So you can bind a device to only allow a single remote to use it but you can't bind a remote to not control other devices.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Don't forget you can also connect just about ANY remote to the Apple TV by having the Apple TV learn the buttons (if you have a universal remote that supports Apple devices that's even easier of course). I see too many people stick with that tiny, easy-to-lose second remote when they could just be using their normal TV/cable box remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's also Remote.ipa, but that's obviously a bit of a pain to use compared to a remote. Thankfully, my receiver's supports it, so it was a simple procedure to get it working.

• Locked thread