Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
That is the worst bivariate color map I have ever seen, and I have seen some bad bivariate color maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

rscott posted:

What do the colors on the map mean?

e: Red areas are poor and blue areas are wealthy?

According to the source of the map, red indicates high correlation between obesity and poverty, blue indicates low correlation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

US National Trails System

Indiana: There's absolutely nothing scenic or historic here, so just move along! :v:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
More like "Indiana: Spend money on something other than highways and basketball stadiums? Surely you jest."

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

US National Trails System

At first glance I read "US National Trains System" and wondered if there is no railway in most parts of the US. :blush:

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 14, 2014

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Indiana: There's absolutely nothing scenic or historic here, so just move along! :v:

European long trails map.

Former Yugoslavia: Very scenic and historic but we planned all routes around it for your convenience.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Faber posted:

At first glance I read "US National Trains System" and wondered if there is no railway in most cities of the US. :blush:
You were still right, though.

e: \/ It is, and that's kind of the point. You can't go from Cheyenne to New York on freight unless you're a hobo.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 15, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Flagrant Abuse posted:

That looks like a passenger map.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Anosmoman posted:

Former Yugoslavia: Very scenic and historic but we planned all routes around it for your convenience.

This may be because the Balkan countries don't belong to the EU.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Is going by train an actual option, after all? I know that you fly most of the time, as the distances are incredibly huge.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^Edit: :argh:

Anosmoman posted:

I have the suspicion that these were all build/pad for by the EU, so it would make sens to not to include Yugoslavia. Which isn't even true since some parts are going through Slovenia. And notice the unfinished routes in the relatively new EU members Bulgaria and Estonia? And how the routes stop at the borders to Kaliningrad, Norway, Belarus, Turkey and Ukraine?

Do you have a source for this map?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Anosmoman posted:

Where can I get more information on these hiking trails please?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When I visited the US, the few cargo trains I saw were REALLY long REALLY slow beasts, making you wait a very long while for a level railroad passage.

Do cargo trains and passenger trains share any railroads over there like they do in Europe?

Edit: ^^^^^ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_long-distance_paths

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

When I visited the US, the few cargo trains I saw were REALLY long REALLY slow beasts, making you wait a very long while for a level railroad passage.

Do cargo trains and passenger trains share any railroads over there like they do in Europe?

Edit: ^^^^^ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_long-distance_paths

They do share rails, but freight has right-of-way over passenger.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The red line seems to be the main path of the famous pilgrimage route El Camino de Santiago.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Torrannor posted:

I have the suspicion that these were all build/pad for by the EU
The Danish route is mostly the old army road, so I was actually going to ask if that was the case for any of the other routes too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Faber posted:

Is going by train an actual option, after all? I know that you fly most of the time, as the distances are incredibly huge.

Someone recently did an A/T thread about it (or maybe it was in Tourism & Travel) but yeah it is possible.

You're right about the distances though; going from Barcelona to Berlin is roughly the same distance as going from Houston Texas to Phoenix Arizona.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The page I just linked suggests they use existing national trails and otherwise popular paths, so it's indeed not surprising if you recognize some of the paths.

Did you know there's also European cycle routes?

I hear Route 12, or the North Sea Cycling Route is quite popular. The countries are actually putting some effort into it to make it work. It's actually a circuit around the North Sea. Starting from England, you cycle along the coast to Scotland, take a ferry to the Orkney and then Shetland Islands, take a ferry to Norway, cycle southeast until you end up in Sweden, cross to Denmark, and then cycle along the coast to Germany, Netherlands and Belgium (where you could cross over back to England).

fermun posted:

They do share rails, but freight has right-of-way over passenger.

Here in Holland, afaik the central rail operators try to schedule things so trains don't have to stop/brake more than necessary. I don't know if there's any kind of priority other than "get everything where it needs to be in time".

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 15, 2014

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

computer parts posted:

Someone recently did an A/T thread about it (or maybe it was in Tourism & Travel) but yeah it is possible.

You're right about the distances though; going from Barcelona to Berlin is roughly the same distance as going from Houston Texas to Phoenix Arizona.

Thank you for the hint!

For the record, here's the link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586823

----

http://gmaps-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/poly/puzzledrag.html

Map puzzle for comparing country sizes and of course demonstrating the infamous mercator projection.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

I hear Route 12, or the North Sea Cycling Route is quite popular. The countries are actually putting some effort into it to make it work. It's actually a circuit around the North Sea. Starting from England, you cycle along the coast to Scotland, take a ferry to the Orkney and then Shetland Islands, take a ferry to Norway, cycle southeast until you end up in Sweden, cross to Denmark, and then cycle along the coast to Germany, Netherlands and Belgium (where you could cross over back to England).
Hey, I worked on (a tiny section of) that! :v:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

The page I just linked suggests they use existing national trails and otherwise popular paths, so it's indeed not surprising if you recognize some of the paths.

Did you know there's also European cycle routes?

Here in Holland, afaik the central rail operators try to schedule things so trains don't have to stop/brake more than necessary. I don't know if there's any kind of priority other than "get everything where it needs to be in time".

I'm partial to the Mediterranean route with the victory lap around Cyprus. :3:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm partial to the Mediterranean route with the victory lap around Cyprus. :3:
How about the Iron Curtain? Probably wins in variety.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

The main issue here is that Amtrak (the national passenger rail service) owns very little of the track it actually runs on-- outside of the Northeast, most of it is track owned by freight companies who just begrudgingly permit Amtrak to operate along their routes. Unsurprisingly, the private companies are more interested in keeping their own operations in order than in letting Amtrak run smoothly everywhere, so freight takes precedence over passenger services and it takes longer to go from Station A to Station B.

Naturally this situation has deterred potential passengers in the past, leading to a slow decline in services. Post 9/11 and with recent rises in gas costs, ridership has started to go up, but it's still a poorly-supported service. Compare that contemporary map of Amtrak's routes:
to a map of Amtrak's routes back in '77, six years after the corporation was established:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Faber posted:

The Empire Builder (the one in the very north through Montana) runs from Chicago to Seattle or Chicago to Portland. The Chicago/Portland Route is 2,257 miles (3,632 km). The average speed is 50 miles per hour (80 kph). That's about the same distance as Gibraltar to Warsaw at slow highway speed.

edit: For an amtrak story I hopped the Cardinal at Cincinnati, Ohio to Washington DC and it took around 18 hours. Mostly because we had to stop for around an hour in West Virginia for a freight train to amble by.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 15, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've taken the Detroit-Chicago line from Ann Arbor down to Chicago before, and that was okayish. Still cost me something like $40 one way.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Here's the freight transport volume map for the US.

The giant red pipe out of Wyoming is coal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I would have thought railways would be picking up more than trucks. The US has like the world's best and more used freight system. Europe is to freight rail what the US is to passenger rail. Both continents now seem to be really trying to make up for their opposite deficiencies though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
American passenger rail mostly only moves when there happens to be gaps between freight trains.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Ofaloaf posted:

The main issue here is that Amtrak (the national passenger rail service) owns very little of the track it actually runs on-- outside of the Northeast, most of it is track owned by freight companies who just begrudgingly permit Amtrak to operate along their routes. Unsurprisingly, the private companies are more interested in keeping their own operations in order than in letting Amtrak run smoothly everywhere, so freight takes precedence over passenger services and it takes longer to go from Station A to Station B.

Naturally this situation has deterred potential passengers in the past, leading to a slow decline in services. Post 9/11 and with recent rises in gas costs, ridership has started to go up, but it's still a poorly-supported service. Compare that contemporary map of Amtrak's routes:

to a map of Amtrak's routes back in '77, six years after the corporation was established:

The oil boom in North Dakota is causing huge delays for Amtrak as they have to sideline while more oil cars use the track.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022516636_freightamtrakxml.html

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Do you have a source for this map?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Straight from Wikipedia... go look for the articles for Long Distance Paths and European long-distance paths.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Both continents now seem to be really trying to make up for their opposite deficiencies though.

In the US, absolutely not. There was a pittance for "high speed rail" construction in the stimulus package, a bunch of Republican governors decried it as tyrannic big government and rejected funding to build better rail lines, and the push for a better passenger rail system died out. The train line from Chicago to St. Louis has been one of the few lines that has seen significant work. When construction on the line finishes in a few years, it'll be a few minutes faster than driving, at best.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Emanuel Collective posted:

In the US, absolutely not. There was a pittance for "high speed rail" construction in the stimulus package, a bunch of Republican governors decried it as tyrannic big government and rejected funding to build better rail lines, and the push for a better passenger rail system died out. The train line from Chicago to St. Louis has been one of the few lines that has seen significant work. When construction on the line finishes in a few years, it'll be a few minutes faster than driving, at best.

California seems to be doing their damnedest to build a state HSR system. If finished I'd prefer it over driving from LA to Sacramento even if it's slower.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

California seems to be doing their damnedest to build a state HSR system. If finished I'd prefer it over driving from LA to Sacramento even if it's slower.

Odd definition of damnedest you got there :v:. I'm not all up to speed (lol) on the HSR project we're doing but its not going to be finished before 2025 and the until 2020 the only section of track that's going to exist is between Merced, Fresno and Bakersfield. The three worst and least needing of HSR cities in all of California.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Peanut President posted:

The Empire Builder (the one in the very north through Montana) runs from Chicago to Seattle or Chicago to Portland. The Chicago/Portland Route is 2,257 miles (3,632 km). The average speed is 50 miles per hour (80 kph). That's about the same distance as Gibraltar to Warsaw at slow highway speed.

edit: For an amtrak story I hopped the Cardinal at Cincinnati, Ohio to Washington DC and it took around 18 hours. Mostly because we had to stop for around an hour in West Virginia for a freight train to amble by.

The other fun thing about the Empire Builder is that probably the most interesting part of the journey through upper Idaho/Montana is during the middle of the night so you can't see poo poo anyway.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Apparently taking amtrak from LA to new york costs like ~1200$ yikes...

Only 300 something for a seat though! That'll you'll sit in for so long you'll want to kill yourself probably.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Apparently taking amtrak from LA to new york costs like ~1200$ yikes...

Only 300 something for a seat though! That'll you'll sit in for so long you'll want to kill yourself probably.

That sounds about right, going from Beijing to just outside of Hong Kong costs about $150 (converted dollars) one way, and that's half the distance as LA to NYC.

It'd also be a 16 hour trip for the latter, so maybe you should just fly. :v:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Odd definition of damnedest you got there :v:. I'm not all up to speed (lol) on the HSR project we're doing but its not going to be finished before 2025 and the until 2020 the only section of track that's going to exist is between Merced, Fresno and Bakersfield. The three worst and least needing of HSR cities in all of California.

Never mind that it's in jeopardy and tied up in lawsuits because of projected cost overruns before the first track is laid, to the point that even Gavin Newsom (among a number of other Democrats) opposes the plan now. The actual completion of any HSR system in California is still very much in doubt.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

I would have thought railways would be picking up more than trucks. The US has like the world's best and more used freight system. Europe is to freight rail what the US is to passenger rail. Both continents now seem to be really trying to make up for their opposite deficiencies though.

That is because of the different rails used in the different European countries. You need different trains to use the French and German rails for example. That makes it kind of pointless for freight, while passengers are not that bothered by having to change trains.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Torrannor posted:

That is because of the different rails used in the different European countries. You need different trains to use the French and German rails for example. That makes it kind of pointless for freight, while passengers are not that bothered by having to change trains.

German and French railways should all be Standard Gauge, along with nearly all of Europe. Among the Europeans, it's notably the Spanish and Russians that use an alternate gauge.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dusseldorf posted:

Here's the freight transport volume map for the US.

The giant red pipe out of Wyoming is coal.

The only thing we're good for :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Faber posted:

This may be because the Balkan countries don't belong to the EU.

Going by train isn't just an option, I consider it by far the better option. Let me give you a hypothetical--say I started planning my trip home for spring break today. That trip starts on March 15, and returns on March 23.

I can go from Milwaukee to Minneapolis on the Amtrak in about six to seven hours, depending on rail traffic. Same in reverse. Booking today, the cheapest seats cost $57 dollars either way. I know it gets pricier around the holidays and in other high-traffic situations, but only to about $75 either way provided you book in advance. Better seats and sleepers are more expensive by a significant proportion, but that's true with my other options as well.

Now, the bus takes a little longer, about eight hours, but on the other hand I can book Megabus for about fifteen bucks total provided I plan the trip a few months in advance. If I were to book it today, it'd cost forty-one dollars TOTAL, which is still cheaper by more than half.

Going by air varies by carrier for cost, but still takes about four to six hours. Maybe it'd be faster if I was in Chicago instead, but I'm not, so eh. US Airways will get me there if I book today... for 468 dollars.

Now, bear in mind, on the bus I'm going to have limited leg room and ability to move around. I will have free Wi-Fi, however, and the views are alright. On the plane I will have virtually no leg room, I'll have to check a bag which will cost even more money, and while I'll get complementary snacks I won't have any space to move. The views are also dicey, and while I might be able to get Wi-Fi it'll cost me an arm and a leg.

On the train, I have a vast amount of leg room, enough to practically La-Z-Boy my seat out--and it has a footrest for just that decision. I can walk all over the place, if I want food I can get overpriced snacks or go to the dining car, which has pretty darn good eats. It'll be pricey, sure--but no worse than buying non-complementary airline food. Plus, you get to eat at an actual table, and the views are phenomenal. Amtrak passenger trains are designed for soaking in the scenery. No Wi-Fi, though, which baffles me.

So, yeah, hands down, the train is the best option for a short scenic hop. If you start discussing long distances and factors of time, the airplanes start to gain massively, since the price doesn't go up too much while the time generally remains the same. Ideally, some time in the next decade or so we'll begin actually investing into that expansion of the rail networks that's been on the political lips since about halfway through Obama's first term, and the train will start to pick up as an alternative. But in the meantime, it's definitely worth experiencing at least once--over shorter distances none of the alternatives can compare for comfort or experience.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 15, 2014