Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013
This game looks awesome. Now to figure out which platform to pick this up on (PC, 360, or PS3). First world problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Obsidian is responsible for one of my favorite games ever, New Vegas, and I also like the Mario RPGs (which is one of the influences of the battle system). I mean... why play a game if not for the gameplay?

I'm pretty confident this game will be like 80% South Park, 20% Obsidian.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Snostorm posted:

This game looks awesome. Now to figure out which platform to pick this up on (PC, 360, or PS3). First world problems.

PC for 20% off on green man gaming. Read a few pages back for the code.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I didn't realize that the battle system was gonna be similar Mario RPG... I'm actually a little more excited for this, especially since I've been watching a bit of South Park again (mostly new-ish episodes on the South Park Studios site) recently after years of not watching it.

Also, I wonder what happens if you do name your character 'Douchebag'... I know what I'm gonna do if/when I get the game. :)

general chaos
May 20, 2001
That argument over having to fight in turns is hilarious. I hope the rest of this game can match the first 15 minutes.

When was there ever an RPG that didn't take itself seriously like this? I can't wait.

general chaos fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 14, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

I have this question about lots of things on the internet. People seem to really like telling everyone just how little they enjoy whatever is being discussed, how they were never into it, and how they hope it somehow works out but they just don't get all the hype. It's a sickness.

It's called nerds

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think it's unreasonable to use the game discussion thread to talk about the game, even if the opinion goes against the majority. I'm sure there are lots of other people who are interested in an Obsidian title but put off by the South Park wrapper.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

general chaos posted:

That argument over having to fight in turns is hilarious.

I liked the non-explanation explanation for why the New Kid is silent ("It's good that he doesn't remember"). I hope they never go into that at any point in the game, we just assume that he's been hosed up by something. I also like the dad rolling his eyes as he leaves.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

My only very slight and not-at-all gamebreaking expectation from this is that the other pretend play things are referenced somewhere along the way, like you can eventually buy the ninja stuff from "Good Times With Weapons" or run into Star Wars nerds and have in-fight arguments about your jew staff not instantly breaking against their plastic lightsabers.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
For those who are thinking of being non-doucebags, let me just say there is a very good chance my mother gets the game. So my mom is cooler than you.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't think I can take 20 hours of technically ironic Jew jokes and the word douchebag. I'd like to be able to tolerate it enough to play the game but I'm not 16 anymore. Oh well at least PoE is on its way.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

epitasis posted:

I don't think I can take 20 hours of technically ironic Jew jokes and the word douchebag. I'd like to be able to tolerate it enough to play the game but I'm not 16 anymore. Oh well at least PoE is on its way.

Douchebag spotted.

:byewhore:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sector_corrector posted:

I mean... why play a game if not for the gameplay?

Story, visuals, atmosphere, dialogue, production values, music, setting, characters. Probably like 10 more.

They all complement good gameplay, but if you hate all of them, then I can't imagine myself really enjoying the gameplay that much, regardless of how good it is.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Personally, I'm always interested in a new Obsidian game, but kinda neutral/cool on South Park. Fairly turned off by the $60 price point.

I'll probably wait and see how reviews are (reviews here, not on gaming 'journalism' sites) after a few weeks and make up my mind then. :)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

general chaos posted:

That argument over having to fight in turns is hilarious. I hope the rest of this game can match the first 15 minutes.

When was there ever an RPG that didn't take itself seriously like this? I can't wait.

I'm actually glad it seems to be avoiding direct jokes about the conventions of RPGs. I mean, theyre THERE but it's not the only focus. Games that usually just rip on a genre tend to be fairly mediocre games themselves (e.g. The new Deadpool game makes fun of sewer levels then makes you play a sewer level) which sort of dulls your point significantly.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to use the game discussion thread to talk about the game, even if the opinion goes against the majority. I'm sure there are lots of other people who are interested in an Obsidian title but put off by the South Park wrapper.
"wrapper" doesn't seem to describe this adequately enough. I think this is more "you got rpg in my south park" than "you got south park in my rpg." The n64 game was the latter, it was "you got south park in my fps"

What I'm saying is that if you like RPGs and obsidian, that only makes up for 30% of the game and you should probably skip this or wait until its $5 but even then you will have to "waste" your time muddling through the south park parts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I am really looking forward to this, the Dad's brief :mad: face when his kid didn't reply to him was hilarious.

"Yeah great I love you too! :mad:"

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Supreme Allah posted:

I suspect that the final battle will come down to unleashing a God-Fart directly into Saddam Hussein's mouth, and if you don't like farts, it may not work out so good for you. Cartman may even threaten to kick yew in the nuts.

Prrbtbbt

I spit my food out onto my computer screen while reading this. Please somebody make it happen.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

epitasis posted:

Sometimes I get mad when a Jewish guy and his best friend make fun of their own races too.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

This is a really great thread because sometimes I wonder what life was like back in middle school. I'm glad the forums finally enabled time travel

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope Scott is in the game in some role. I also suspect Scott Tenorman will show up as a baddie.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'm thinking I'll definitely pick this up once it goes on sale, but I don't think I can justify spending 60 dollars on it.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I'm calling it now: this game will be a contender for GOTY 2014. Why? Matt and Trey made Book of Mormon, a broadway musical they had no previous experience making and it won every loving award that exists for those things. And I've seen it - it's unbelievably good. I think, at this point, betting against them is a seriously misguided thing to do.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pathos posted:

I'm calling it now: this game will be a contender for GOTY 2014. Why? Matt and Trey made Book of Mormon, a broadway musical they had no previous experience making and it won every loving award that exists for those things. And I've seen it - it's unbelievably good. I think, at this point, betting against them is a seriously misguided thing to do.

I've been calling it as GOTY since it was announced. It may not win because of "next-gen!" consoles, but it will be the GOTY, nevertheless.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Will Matt and Trey be the first to EGOTY?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

King Vidiot posted:

Do they just feel compelled to play every single game that Obsidian releases because it's Obsidian?

I know I sure do, I've loved almost everything they've touched regardless of the setting. I'm kind of indifferent to South Park so I'll probably get this because, yeah, Obsidian.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
God drat that 15 minute video is great. I know it's wizards and elves etc but its so tongue in cheek that this really is starting to look like one of the more original RPGs of the last decade.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Really tempted to watch the video, but I think I'll save myself for the actual game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Does the 20% off code still work or not on GMG? It doesn't seem to, and if it's expired I"ll just grab it off of Steam proper.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Giant Bomb is calling the game offensive and racist. I haven't heard such a media outlet call them that since their first season!

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009

Mr E posted:

Does the 20% off code still work or not on GMG? It doesn't seem to, and if it's expired I"ll just grab it off of Steam proper.

A Tartan Tory posted:

20% off stick of truth on Green Man Gaming code if anyone wants it.

3MCRLE-CG7AF1-G7T08U

That one worked fine for me earlier today, but the 25% one Flamadiddle posted doesn't work anymore.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

Giant Bomb is calling the game offensive and racist. I haven't heard such a media outlet call them that since their first season!

When did they? At most Jeff Gerstmann said that the stopped watching it after the south park movie because he wasn't a fan of the humor. Brad also said that he was excited for more of the game after playing the 2 hour demo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
"Everybody hates Butters so they are 2x as likely to attack him!"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

When did they? At most Jeff Gerstmann said that the stopped watching it after the south park movie because he wasn't a fan of the humor. Brad also said that he was excited for more of the game after playing the 2 hour demo.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4RY0opa7hpI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4RY0opa7hpI

Comment section is a goldmine for the gamers.txt thread.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Oh, you meant the community. I thought you were talking about the actual cast.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Obsidian's Silly Hate Crime 2000

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

A Tartan Tory posted:

20% off stick of truth on Green Man Gaming code if anyone wants it.

3MCRLE-CG7AF1-G7T08U

Just tried this one and it doesn't seem to work.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

I'm still not quite getting why there are people who hate South Park but are following this game's development and this thread really closely. They watch every video, read press releases and early preview articles, then go on to say "well I just don't like South Park so I don't know if I'll be getting this".

Do they just feel compelled to play every single game that Obsidian releases because it's Obsidian? Most of the appeal of this game is going to be because it's South Park, and fans of the show will like it because it captures the feeling and humor of the show. It being made by a company with a good track record is just a nice bonus. I happen to like Obsidian, and South Park (and Trey Parker and Matt Stone in general), so I'm definitely looking forward to this game. But if you're not don't just force yourself to get it and play it for nebulous reasons because "gameplay" or "it's Obsidian".

Mostly because I like watching failure and miserable dissapointment.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

twoot posted:

Just tried this one and it doesn't seem to work.

It expired today. OQE4LG-WEQPSE-SMCME1 is the new one but I have no idea if it applies to South Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

TheCoon posted:

It expired today. OQE4LG-WEQPSE-SMCME1 is the new one but I have no idea if it applies to South Park.

Didn't work for me. Maybe it'll work for Europeans though. Sometimes GMG's vouchers work differently in different regions.

• Locked thread