Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Did someone poo poo in your Wheaties? I probably shouldn't mention that the game is a few hundred MB...

He's right. If you want to blow $16 on a game you first owned in the fourth grade go right ahead but don't get huffy about people not paying for masterpieces in the same breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I find it silly to characterise pricing decisions as moral quandries. Companies price their products so as to maximise their profit, simple as that. If people are willing to pay or not, their balance sheet goes up, or not. A company choosing to price their flappy bird variant at One Million Dollars is making a suboptimal business decision, but all the huff and puff about it being morally *evil* is just naive.

I assume the FF6 remake is being targetted at people who haven't played it before.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fangz posted:

I assume the FF6 remake is being targetted at people who haven't played it before.

I would expect the opposite. It would be interesting to see data regarding that.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I want to give a heads up to Only One, an arena combat game with pixel graphics: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rebelbinary.onlyone

It isn't much to look at but it's actually pretty fun and is quite challenging, and the iOS version has gotten some surprisingly glowing reviews.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Are there any CCGs for android that you can get by without paying real money? Namely something you can actually utilize the currency you earn by playing the game to get more cards as opposed to that currency being absolutely useless and having the only way to get new cards be a paid currency(aka Order & Chaos Duels: Hey, here is absolutely useless gold that literally is not used for anything except providing a couple boosts in battles). I know that a F2P model is possible in a game like this(see: Hearthstone and, while it is not a ccg it has many things in common, Mass Effect 3 multiplayer), but I have yet to find an android ccg that doesn't use the tired "useless currency you earn and useful currency you have to pay money for) freemium, pay-to-win model.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yea, my Moto X was not compatible at first. Sent them a message and it was fixed in a couple hours.

I just got the response that they added my device to the compatibility list too! Took a little longer than a couple of hours, but still within a day so I'm pleased.
Besides, I haven't beaten the Epilogue of the first game yet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Khisanth Magus posted:

Are there any CCGs for android that you can get by without paying real money? Namely something you can actually utilize the currency you earn by playing the game to get more cards as opposed to that currency being absolutely useless and having the only way to get new cards be a paid currency(aka Order & Chaos Duels: Hey, here is absolutely useless gold that literally is not used for anything except providing a couple boosts in battles). I know that a F2P model is possible in a game like this(see: Hearthstone and, while it is not a ccg it has many things in common, Mass Effect 3 multiplayer), but I have yet to find an android ccg that doesn't use the tired "useless currency you earn and useful currency you have to pay money for) freemium, pay-to-win model.

Well, Hearthstone itself is coming to Android eventually, so there's that. :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kyrosiris posted:

Well, Hearthstone itself is coming to Android eventually, so there's that. :v:

Well, I'm set until M:tG joins in the fun.

Was there a date announced at all?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mister Macys posted:

I don't think so, but I believe they inferred it'd maybe would be Q2? I'm not sure, though, been a while since Blizzcon.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has it been confirmed if it's coming to phones or just tablets? I'm having a tough time trying to imagine how you'd play any CCG on a 5 inch screen.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sab669 posted:

Has it been confirmed if it's coming to phones or just tablets? I'm having a tough time trying to imagine how you'd play any CCG on a 5 inch screen.

Just tablets. I can't imagine any ccg being playable on a phone.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

I know it's lame, but is anyone playing Dungeon Keeper? If there is, can we make a guild? I think it's quite fun, but I love DK, and I won't be spending any money on this. Suck it EA!

I'd join a DK guild, sure, w/e. But I will also recommend going to GoG today and getting your free PC copy of it as well.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Looks like Dungeon Keeper 2 is on sale for $1.50 as well.

Wet Bandit
Nov 6, 2005

WebDO posted:

I'd join a DK guild, sure,

Likewise. Also not spending a dime on it.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Mister Macys posted:

Duels of the Planeswalkers in on Android already, it's not too bad, but I don't like MTG all that much to begin with.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Geektox posted:

Duels of the Planeswalkers in on Android already, it's not too bad, but I don't like MTG all that much to begin with.
Did they ever update it? I remember the controls being really fiddly or herky-jerky on my tablet, and combat selection was a real chore if I recall correctly.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

I want to give a heads up to Only One, an arena combat game with pixel graphics: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rebelbinary.onlyone

It isn't much to look at but it's actually pretty fun and is quite challenging, and the iOS version has gotten some surprisingly glowing reviews.

Not compatible with my N5 apparently.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

coyo7e posted:

Did they ever update it? I remember the controls being really fiddly or herky-jerky on my tablet, and combat selection was a real chore if I recall correctly.

Apparently it doesn't support online multiplayer, which is pretty hilarious.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cerepol posted:

Not compatible with my N5 apparently.
It's compatible with mine. Maybe just your country is locked out?

Excalibur_Z
Oct 2, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

There's Tekken Card Tournament, I was playing that for a few months. It has a soft currency (gold) and a hard currency (credits). Credits are earned on level-up or sometimes as a post-match bonus and gold is earned after every match, win or lose. You can buy packs of random cards with credits, or you can purchase individual cards or upgrade existing cards with gold. It's not a typical resource-management CCG per se, it has more of a fighting pace to it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently it doesn't support online multiplayer, which is pretty hilarious.
Well I went to reinstall it (Magic 2014) to check if it's still as janky as I remember it being (I bought and played 3 or 4 of the DotP on XBox Live Arcade, this version is way worse and has a sketchy UI from what I recall,) but after an hour of 502 errors over and over, I gave up.

It does look like it has received some recent updates though, so it's probably not entirely unplayable.. Except for being unable to download it right now. :(

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Well I went to reinstall it (Magic) to check if it's still as janky as I remember it being (I bought and played 3 or 4 of the DotP on XBox Live Arcade, this version is way worse and has a sketchy UI from what I recall,) but after an hour of 502 errors over and over, I gave up.

It does look like it has received some recent updates though, so it's probably not entirely unplayable.. Except for being unable to download it right now. :(

I eventually uninstalled it since it would routinely hang up on updating and zap my battery.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Geektox posted:

Which years? I think I have up to 2012 on the 360.

Nevermind, just read Coyote's post.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Once I got away from my work wifi I was able to DL it, I'm going to make a point to kick it around a bit this weekend because I do want to like it.

1.5 gig download, pretty sure that all the XBox versions combined aren't that big. ;)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can you share your dungeon keeper game across iOS and android like you can Clash of Clans?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

To anyone playing hay day, it looks like your diamonds can and will magically disappear.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Has anyone played the Doodle God games? I picked up Doodle Kingdom yesterday and it seems like a really fun little timewaster. It was hard to figure out what the actual gameplay would be without getting the demo version, because it's so simple: you get a handful of elements to start with, and you need to figure out how to combine them to create more things. I'm not sure exactly why, but it's fun. Good sense of humor, too. And incredibly minor IAPs -- in Doodle Kingdom, the initial handful of gems you start with is enough to buy the upgrade that disables matches you've already made (so you don't waste time and get excited watching the animation when you're experimenting), and it seems like the only other thing you can buy are hints and temporary item borders, which are really just another version of hints. The hints recharge slowly, and honestly, you shouldn't be using them very often anyway, since the entire game is thinking about how to create things. It seems like they released a large update to the original Doodle God that makes it the definitive game to play, with the most elements and a lot of extra modes that give more direction to what you're doing, but Doodle Kingdom has some cool extras, too.

The only thing is that, once I've completed all 3 quests and unlocked all the elements, I doubt there will be much replay value.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
If anyone here isn't sick of Scrabble clones and word games yet I suggest giving Word Puttz a look: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.jackboxgames.wordputtz

Basically its a mix of Scrabble and minigolf, in that you need to make chains of words that connect to the hole in order to pass each level. It's actually pretty interesting.

Fractal Wave
Feb 7, 2009
Full disclosure, I am one of the developers of the game I'm about to shamelessly promote.

Pork Chop Hero: One pig's quest for freedom.
Help Pork Chop escape the voracious Pork Enthusiasts on his journey to freedom.

Basically it's a top down shooter/puzzle game played using two virtual joysticks.

You shoot the bad guys with bacon, as you shoot them they get fatter until they explode. (Later you get other weapons with different effects)

There is a "Campaign Mode" with two worlds (and a third on the way). Each world has about 15 levels.
There is also "Survival Mode" where endless waves of pork enthusiasts attack you and you see how many waves you can survive. There is currently only a single survival map (more on the way).

World 1 of Campaign Mode (Bacon Acres) and Survival Mode are free to play.
World 2 of Campaign Mode (Forest Hamlet) is $1.99

Website - http://www.porkchophero.com/
Promo/Gameplay Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYUZB7ljI1A

Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycroft.porkchophero
Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Mycroft-Softworks-Inc-Pork-Chop/dp/B00IB0F92K
iOS - Waiting Approval

Let me know what you think of the game or if you have any issues.

If you enjoy the game please take a few seconds to rate it, it is hard to get a game exposure and ratings really help with visibility in the store.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
Why is Bookworm Adventures not on android? Or the original Bookworm game? They'd be perfect for the platform.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

TiCK posted:

Why is Bookworm Adventures not on android? Or the original Bookworm game? They'd be perfect for the platform.

PopCap's owned by EA now and they don't care about their old games unless it has Bejeweled, Peggle or Plants Vs Zombies in the title.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Phenotype posted:

Has anyone played the Doodle God games? I picked up Doodle Kingdom yesterday and it seems like a really fun little timewaster. It was hard to figure out what the actual gameplay would be without getting the demo version, because it's so simple: you get a handful of elements to start with, and you need to figure out how to combine them to create more things. I'm not sure exactly why, but it's fun. Good sense of humor, too. And incredibly minor IAPs -- in Doodle Kingdom, the initial handful of gems you start with is enough to buy the upgrade that disables matches you've already made (so you don't waste time and get excited watching the animation when you're experimenting), and it seems like the only other thing you can buy are hints and temporary item borders, which are really just another version of hints. The hints recharge slowly, and honestly, you shouldn't be using them very often anyway, since the entire game is thinking about how to create things. It seems like they released a large update to the original Doodle God that makes it the definitive game to play, with the most elements and a lot of extra modes that give more direction to what you're doing, but Doodle Kingdom has some cool extras, too.

The only thing is that, once I've completed all 3 quests and unlocked all the elements, I doubt there will be much replay value.

Sounds like an Alchemy clone, there's tons of 'em. You can go on forever!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

mrkillboy posted:

PopCap's owned by EA now and they don't care about their old games unless it has Bejeweled, Peggle or Plants Vs Zombies in the title.

You can't get Peggle on Android, either. :(

baka kaba posted:

Sounds like an Alchemy clone, there's tons of 'em. You can go on forever!

I'd seen this comparison when reading reviews, but I'd never heard of or played Alchemy before. Alchemy itself seems a little bland, and I definitely prefer the theme and humor of Doodle Kingdom. I honestly didn't think it'd be my cup of tea, but for some reason I'm really enjoying it. It seems like a perfect cell phone game -- the mechanics (or lack thereof) means I can pick it up or put it down whenever I want. This was nice the other day when I was standing around a server closet waiting for a disk to format, and one of the client's people burst in to check on me. No worries about losing progress if I just pop my phone back into a pocket, and no awkward "Hang on, lemme finish this battle".

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Anybody like the online game genre of games like "toss the turtle", or the penguin one. The games where you shoot out some animal out of a cannon and try to get further and further, upgrading your equipment.

Anyone knew of any good android equivalents? I have angry gran toss, and it's okay.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Looks like new Flappy Bird clones with the word "flappy" in the name are being rejected by Google (and Apple) left and right:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/16/google-evidently-begins-rejecting-flappy-games-from-the-play-store-as-clones-continue-to-march-in/
http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/15/apple-google-begin-rejecting-games-with-flappy-in-the-title/

I like how that one guy tried to get a $50K grant for his clone.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 16, 2014

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I saw a few clones on the Amazon store, maybe they aren't caring as much.

I wonder how many of the clones have ad/malware with them?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Deep Winter posted:

Anybody like the online game genre of games like "toss the turtle", or the penguin one. The games where you shoot out some animal out of a cannon and try to get further and further, upgrading your equipment.

Anyone knew of any good android equivalents? I have angry gran toss, and it's okay.

[url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bored.berzerkball2[/url]

I played this a long time ago. I like it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mrkillboy posted:

Looks like new Flappy Bird clones with the word "flappy" in the name are being rejected by Google (and Apple) left and right:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/16/google-evidently-begins-rejecting-flappy-games-from-the-play-store-as-clones-continue-to-march-in/
http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/15/apple-google-begin-rejecting-games-with-flappy-in-the-title/

I like how that one guy tried to get a $50K grant for his clone.

I really wish both companies were far more active in preventing their markets from being such complete garbage.

quote:

This is just not my loving week: Rejected. "We found your app name attempts to leverage a popular app." Which app? FB doesn't exist!?!?!

loving ridiculous.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Fallom posted:

I really wish both companies were far more active in preventing their markets from being such complete garbage.

X percent of an install/IAP/subscription for an extremely lovely game is still X percent of sweet sweet profit. v:shobon:v

There's no incentive at all to weeding out the garbage beyond "b-b-but ~principles~". What I wish for is something like Appbrain but relevant and functional (so, like it used to be, basically). Active curation would be a plus, but probably impossible for anyone but an Elder Sperglord with a low-effort desk job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Was it this thread or the gamers.txt thread where someone discovered an entire book/website about reskinning apps?

(and the book turned out to be mostly marketing)

I loving love the idea of mobile gaming but holy poo poo is it dominated by the absolute worst of the worst garbage.

• Locked thread