Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Slow Motion posted:

I'm on the same page as you although I do get some value out of tracking the individual categories. As Shadowhand00 pointed out it's not a big deal to blow a single slice in the budget; it IS a big deal to blow the whole pie.

This is a little blog post about how getting granular id very helpful in identifying parts of your budget you might be able to reduce:

http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/2013/getting-granular-how-adding-six-categories-helped-me-discover-a-200-per-month-leak-in-my-budget/

Basically getting granular is good if you're really trying to control your spending.

Slomo, have you ever considered maybe using a program like YNAB to help you budget? It makes it so easy, especially if you're just getting started. Your spreadsheet, it always seems to take a bit longer and people complain about that in this thread.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

Here's the thing, SlowMo can live the way he does fine if he continues to increase his income accordingly.

Usually, when people can't control their spending and rely entirely on increasing their income to fix their finances, it doesn't work. Even if the numbers look like they ought to work, they never do. Sure, they're making more, but since they never got their tendency to overspend under control, they end up spending more too so they remain in the red. SlowMo is making good progress on that front, but he can still relapse.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The thing about SlowMo is that he eventually needs to develop these skills just as a general life thing. The reason his relationship with his wife was so miserable is the same reason he's in debt, which is bad impulse control and a desire to have what he wants now (or the illusion of it) without really accommodating the reality of the situation. She was beautiful, but high maintenance and demanding - everything you'd expect from someone who marries for image over substance. She was basically a human lifestyle accessory.

This is not to totally blame SlowMo for how bad their marriage was, it takes two and she was truly horrible, just that he was willing to overlook it for so long because he was clinging to the idea of the 'perfect' life they had built. And it took a really long time to convince him that sticking with her was a bad idea because he just could not see how much damage she was doing him. Much like he does not see how much damage he is doing to himself by not developing some patience.

He can still live well now, it just takes being creative and, ya know, thinking about how to live well on a budget. He makes more than enough to get what he wants and to put money away. But what he craves is the luxury of not thinking, just being able to spend and it all being ok - because ballers don't think about money, they just spend it. That's really the thing that makes all this the most painful, he's making enough that he could easily manage this situation but he just chooses not to. And to make it worse, he's making just enough that he could probably keep coasting by on never learning how to compromise with himself, instead just cycling the debt around himself in various ways.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Do you know Slomo and/or SlomoExWife in person? That seems like quite a huge amount of conclusions to jump to about her personality, their relationship etc, based solely on what we've learned from this thread.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

End of week hours update?

Plans for the weekend for work, study, and play?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SlowMo, this might be the single most powerful thing you ever do, if you think you can handle it.

Get high (only on weed, not "goofballs") and read Steven Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I'm 100% serious. It will change your life for the better.

If I'm on your ignore list, this advice/guidance/whatever you want to call it applies to anyone.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Do you know Slomo and/or SlomoExWife in person? That seems like quite a huge amount of conclusions to jump to about her personality, their relationship etc, based solely on what we've learned from this thread.

StrangersInTheNight is 100% spot on. Once you understand that there is wisdom that comes from listening to others, you gain a near-psychic ability to determine these things. If you read through the thread, you'll see it there in certain posters (but not me, I was just being an rear end in a top hat :v:)

Read that book, people. I'm loving serious.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 15, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

SlowMo, this might be the single most powerful thing you ever do, if you think you can handle it.

Get high (only on weed, not "goofballs") and read Steven Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I'm 100% serious. It will change your life for the better.

If I'm on your ignore list, this advice/guidance/whatever you want to call it applies to anyone.

StrangersInTheNight is 100% spot on. Once you understand that there is wisdom that comes from listening to others, you gain a near-psychic ability to determine these things. If you read through the thread, you'll see it there in certain posters (but not me, I was just being an rear end in a top hat :v:)

Read that book, people. I'm loving serious.

You could just read a thing without being intoxicated.

But yeah, it's pretty good as far as self-help books go.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

tuyop posted:

Seriously why they hell do you need to get high.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Seriously why they hell do you need to get high.

I can tell you've never been high before.

tuyop posted:

Sure, you could, but knowing SlowMo a bit, I figured he'd respond to "fun thing + productive thing" more than just "productive thing"

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think it would be better to learn that fun comes from within.

That's kind of slow motion's — and anyone who has a spending problem — problem in a nutshell.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

WampaLord posted:

I can tell you've never been high before.

No, as a fellow 27 year old I grew up after my sophomore year of college. At some point you stop getting high and move on (keeps a clearer mind) and the industry I worked in for the last 6 years doesn't allow me to even if I wanted. (I live in Colorado to boot...)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

spwrozek posted:

No, as a fellow 27 year old I grew up after my sophomore year of college. At some point you stop getting high and move on (keeps a clearer mind)
While I agree that the advice is silly (though it is a great book!), I also think that it's kind of wrong to say that people "grow up" out of weed Would you be so condescending to someone who goes out drinking every once in a while? Any form of intoxication is just another form of relaxation, really, and I wouldn't judge anyone who uses drugs as long as they're safe about it. It's a luxury just like alcohol, but relatively cheap.

And yes, I agree with tuyop - fun comes from within, not without. Drugs and alcohol can only enhance what's already there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

moana posted:

While I agree that the advice is silly (though it is a great book!), I also think that it's kind of wrong to say that people "grow up" out of weed Would you be so condescending to someone who goes out drinking every once in a while? Any form of intoxication is just another form of relaxation, really, and I wouldn't judge anyone who uses drugs as long as they're safe about it. It's a luxury just like alcohol, but relatively cheap.

And yes, I agree with tuyop - fun comes from within, not without. Drugs and alcohol can only enhance what's already there.

I would have said the same thing if he had said, "get a couple of bottles of wine and read this book." You shouldn't have to be hosed up to relax or enjoy normally enjoyable stuff, I agree with you.

Doing otherwise seems pretty immature, hence the "grow up".

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

No I agree with you.

Just think it is ridiculous that he suggested the most powerful thing he can do is get high and read a book. As someone who smoked and knew many who did it makes it very hard to actually study and retain the info when high.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

tuyop posted:

I would have said the same thing if he had said, "get a couple of bottles of wine and read this book." You shouldn't have to be hosed up to relax or enjoy normally enjoyable stuff, I agree with you.
Or if he said "Eat a couple of loaves of focaccia smeared with pesto from the finest BASIL manufacturer in Canada and read this book"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Read between deadlift sets IMO.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I'm out at the bars and have spent $80 so far - is it bad that I thought of Slomos thread when I was buying my group some shots of Balvoine? (I love scotch but have no idea if I spelled that right)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tuyop posted:

Doing otherwise seems pretty immature, hence the "grow up".

You're right, it's just that to me a couple bottles of wine is worse than vaping a bit of weed, because massive amounts of wine and my body don't mix, just ask the red stain that used to be on my carpet. :v:

moana posted:

Or if he said "Eat a couple of loaves of focaccia smeared with pesto from the finest BASIL manufacturer in Canada and read this book"

Moana knows what's up.

spwrozek posted:

No I agree with you.

Just think it is ridiculous that he suggested the most powerful thing he can do is get high and read a book. As someone who smoked and knew many who did it makes it very hard to actually study and retain the info when high.

I write down a lot of my deeper insights that I discovered while high and I find that it helps with the structuring and retaining of information. It's something that Carl Sagan talks about in his essay on weed.

E: VVV Exactly. Why not indeed?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 15, 2014

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
Altered states of consciousness have their place. Don't know if they're great for retaining information, but I know that when I'm extremely tired I'm a lot more creative. If you can retain information while high, then why not?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Correction: $4,800 tax return. Also started the weekend with 92 billed hours. I'm going to go for 108 before Monday. It's all gravy after that. I'll be down to one CC with a balance by March. I can wipe that balance out in April.

My Redbull and cigarette spending is getting a little out of hand. Anyone have advice on alternative stimulants?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Slow Motion posted:

Correction: $4,800 tax return. Also started the weekend with 92 billed hours. I'm going to go for 108 before Monday. It's all gravy after that. I'll be down to one CC with a balance by March. I can wipe that balance out in April.

My Redbull and cigarette spending is getting a little out of hand. Anyone have advice on alternative stimulants?

Drink coffee like a grown man and quit smoking. Also like a grown man.

Or switch to ecigarettes. A couple of batteries and protank mini 2 will run you like $65 from panda ecigs, the nicotine liquid stuff will cost like $12 a month.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
I drink a lot of coffee. It's good but doesn't keep me going like a smoke break or an adderall does. Redbull is somewhere somewhere in between.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Slow Motion posted:

I drink a lot of coffee. It's good but doesn't keep me going like a smoke break or an adderall does. Redbull is somewhere somewhere in between.

Just quit the energy drinks and you won't miss them after a week. I used to drink a redbull every day until my dentist told me that my teeth were literally rotting out. You're getting plenty of sugar in your crazy diet anyway.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
My gf has done the ecig thing since she can't seem to quit. $130 in hardware and $40 in liquid and she's been good to go for months. Definitely recommend the Protank (v3), the build quality is great and the vapor produced is far better than some lessor models.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I love how the solution in slow motions brain is "hey guys, I'm spending a lot of money, are there any other alternative ways for me to poison myself? Quitting is for pussies AM I RIGHT high five gently caress I'm awesome".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

My gf has done the ecig thing since she can't seem to quit. $130 in hardware and $40 in liquid and she's been good to go for months. Definitely recommend the Protank (v3), the build quality is great and the vapor produced is far better than some lessor models.

V2 is better apparently.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Why have we never seen a cigarette line item in the budget? That poo poo's expensive. Is it rolled into groceries? Redbull ain't cheap either. Does work provide them?

Does anybody remember when piloting was mentioned and then dropped? Was SloMo taking flying lessons, or did I misunderstand?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah quit the energy drinks and smoking asap. You are trying to lift seriously while smoking... What the gently caress? Go make a Ylls thread so everyone can take the piss out of you and maybe you will listen.

[E] Slomo you seem like a cool dude but drat you do some daft poo poo.

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 16, 2014

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Saros posted:

Yeah quit the energy drinks and smoking asap. You are trying to lift seriously while smoking... What the gently caress? Go make a Ylls thread so everyone can take the piss out of you and maybe you will listen.

Tried that here, he just took his ball(er) and went home to sook.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Saros posted:

Go make a Ylls thread

Why do you hate me?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shine posted:

Why do you hate me?

Jealousy, mostly.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Jealousy, mostly.

There is nothing I've accomplished that anybody else can't accomplish simply by giving a poo poo for a few years.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Shine posted:

Why do you hate me?

Because I am travelling and haven't seen the inside of a gym in three months so I must spread the pain.

Plus lets be honest here I really want to see a Slomo '5k' calorie thread.

Slow Motion posted:

I want to get my squat up to 275 and curl to 50 before I start to cut. Currently at 245 and 45 respectively. I'm gaining everywhere else too but I don't really give a poo poo about the rest as far as targets go.

Shine posted:

Why do you hate me?

Goddamn why do Americans use pounds they are the stupidest weight. Anyway stop loving smoking holy poo poo.

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 16, 2014

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Saros posted:

Fucks sake why do Americans use pounds they are the stupidest weight. Anyway stop loving smoking holy poo poo.

Makes my lift look over twice as big, bro.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

Because I am travelling and haven't seen the inside of a gym in three months so I must spread the pain.

Plus lets be honest here I really want to see a Slomo '5k' calorie thread.

Goddamn why do Americans use pounds they are the stupidest weight. Anyway stop loving smoking holy poo poo.

Figuring out your bar weight is hard enough when you're all hosed up from a lift, kg plates have loving decimals and are kind of meaningless when you think of your body weight in pounds.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Do your bars not have the weights printed on them? Plus the only decimal I have ever seen is 0.5kg so really...

The real answer is you should measure height and weight in cm and kg. :smugface:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Saros posted:

The real answer is you should measure height and weight in cm and kg. :smugface:
And your body temperature in Kelvin. And I think you meant Newtons.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Slow Motion posted:

Also started the weekend with 92 billed hours. I'm going to go for 108 before Monday. It's all gravy after that.

Pretty good job assuming you are on the plan of 8 hours a day, 4 hours Saturday, no work Sunday. You should have been at 88 hours so well done. Are you still studying?

Also try drinking water. Staying hydrated makes you much more attentive and awake.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

spwrozek posted:

Pretty good job assuming you are on the plan of 8 hours a day, 4 hours Saturday, no work Sunday. You should have been at 88 hours so well done. Are you still studying?

Also try drinking water. Staying hydrated makes you much more attentive and awake.

With the amount of caffeine, sugar, and adderall intake he is way beyond using only water to put in the billable hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Kid Cudi posted:

Slow mo (what, what)
When the tempo slows up and creates that new, new (what, what)
He seems alive though he is feeling blue (what, what)
The sun is shining man he's super cool, cool
The lonely nights (what, what)
They fade away he slips into his white Nikes (what, what)
He smokes a clip and then he's on the way (what, what)
To free his mind in search of,
Dammit. Now every time I hear this song, I think of this thread. Probably a fitting anthem anyway.

• Locked thread