Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Republicans posted:

I'm honestly temped to sign up for his premium site so I can download today's episode and share that guy's call. It was such a perfect microcosm of the entire Tea Party.

Edit: Eh, it was cheap. Here's the call.

Ho lee poo poo that is incredible. This is a great example of just how detached from reality right wing media has made people. Scottsdale, AZ, everybody.

pacerhimself fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

BiggerBoat posted:

Cain was going on about this, whining about how the richest 10% pay 70% of the taxes. Well no poo poo, Herman. Maybe that's because they have all the loving money. I guess I'm supposed to be shocked that someone making $500,000 a year contributes more to the tax base than I do.

Maybe ten years ago, I was listening to my favorite morning radio show (Lanigan and Malone - shout out Cleveland!), and they opened the phones to talk about taxes. Early on, this guy called in absolutely FURIOUS about the amount of taxes he's paid the previous year. He named a number, $85,000, and he pounded on that number. He went on and on about the injustice of having $85,000 stolen from his pocket by the greedy welfare state just to give free houses and food stamps to those lazy poors who, unlike himself, contribute absolutely nothing to society. This guy was honestly pissed, and ranted about being a business owner (construction), and how he paid $85,000 last year, while XX% of the population paid NOTHING, and how unfair and unjust it was for him to shoulder this massive burden - $85,000 in case you'd forgotten - when, just by existing, he is doing more for the economy, and society, and the world than any hundred of those leeches who didn't pay $85,000 last year...

I'm exaggerating his fury, but the message was exactly what I pasted above: $85,000 is an enormous, obnoxious burden, and it was absolutely unfair for the government to rob him of that much money.

So, one of the hosts eventually asks, "So, you paid $85,000. That means you earned, what, $500,000?"

There's a pause, and the guy says, "Well, it was a little more than that."

Yeah. Even at the minimum-stated number of $500,000, the dude is paying 17% in taxes. If we reasonably assume his "little more" means, say, $650,000, he paid 13%. My wife earned something like $28,000 that year and paid ~14%.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Republicans posted:

I'm honestly temped to sign up for his premium site so I can download today's episode and share that guy's call. It was such a perfect microcosm of the entire Tea Party.

Wow. Medved just sounds completely fed up with this guy, and I don't blame him.

It's like listening to a parent try to explain to a bawling child who lost a little league game that he can't just push the other kids off the podium, take the trophy and declare his team the winner, it doesn't work like that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Republicans posted:

This is art.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Centripetal Horse posted:

Maybe ten years ago, I was listening to my favorite morning radio show (Lanigan and Malone - shout out Cleveland!), and they opened the phones to talk about taxes. Early on, this guy called in absolutely FURIOUS about the amount of taxes he's paid the previous year. He named a number, $85,000, and he pounded on that number. He went on and on about the injustice of having $85,000 stolen from his pocket by the greedy welfare state just to give free houses and food stamps to those lazy poors who, unlike himself, contribute absolutely nothing to society. This guy was honestly pissed, and ranted about being a business owner (construction), and how he paid $85,000 last year, while XX% of the population paid NOTHING, and how unfair and unjust it was for him to shoulder this massive burden - $85,000 in case you'd forgotten - when, just by existing, he is doing more for the economy, and society, and the world than any hundred of those leeches who didn't pay $85,000 last year...

I'm exaggerating his fury, but the message was exactly what I pasted above: $85,000 is an enormous, obnoxious burden, and it was absolutely unfair for the government to rob him of that much money.

So, one of the hosts eventually asks, "So, you paid $85,000. That means you earned, what, $500,000?"

There's a pause, and the guy says, "Well, it was a little more than that."

Yeah. Even at the minimum-stated number of $500,000, the dude is paying 17% in taxes. If we reasonably assume his "little more" means, say, $650,000, he paid 13%. My wife earned something like $28,000 that year and paid ~14%.

Yeah this is basically the common argument and they won't ever seem to shut the gently caress up about it. People at that level pay more in taxes than most people make in a year while often making that money off of the backs of others. Business owner was the biggest giveaway, I think.

It makes me think of a married couple that I had the misfortune of working for a long time back. They'd constantly whine about every single little expenditure be it taxes, wages, or even goddamned supplies necessary for running the business. When I started there they'd say that I should stick around for a while because if more people would stick around past training they could afford to pay more. Utter bullshit, really. It was an unskilled job that had a week of training but really only took two shifts to learn the place's quirks. The reason nobody stayed very long was that they paid like poo poo and didn't give anybody benefits, ever. They'd also moan and complain that all their workers were not very motivated and they could never seem to get good people and the ones they did saw it as a part time thing for extra scratch for a few months. This was PROOF that the poor were just lazy shits that wanted everything handed to them for free.

I heard the husband, at least twice, complain that, as a business owner, he should just have his supplies given to him for free because, as a business owner, he works really, really hard and deserves to have his business maintained by the government. No, really, he actually said that. His reasoning was that, as a person that owned a business that had workers, he was a job creator and deserved extra perks. He was an advocate of taxing the gently caress out of his employees and paying no taxes himself, ever. He literally viewed other people as things that existed only to give him money.

Guess who his favorite radio personality was?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There's a decent thread in GBS called "FOX News.jpg" that's pretty relevant to this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608712

Decent by the standards of whatever GBS is supposed to be these days anyway.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Republicans posted:

What a nice soundcloud account to have created! Keep it up!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a decent thread in GBS called "FOX News.jpg" that's pretty relevant to this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608712

Decent by the standards of whatever GBS is supposed to be these days anyway.

Loving all the "truth in the middle" poo poo posters that bugger off once anyone asks them to provide an example of the "liberal media" doing the same thing (usually because they are too cool to do it and they don't care enough to although they care enough to post a bunch of time complaining about it).

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

pacerhimself posted:

Ho lee poo poo that is incredible. This is a great example of just how detached from reality right wing media has made people. Scottsdale, AZ, everybody.

The irony of Michael 'whole shows devoted to creationism' Medved calling someone out as detached from reality is pretty funny.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Radish posted:

Loving all the "truth in the middle" poo poo posters that bugger off once anyone asks them to provide an example of the "liberal media" doing the same thing (usually because they are too cool to do it and they don't care enough to although they care enough to post a bunch of time complaining about it).

"Yeah, but this one time Dan Rather ran a story an prptpptptttt..."

edit: aside, what the hell IS GBS now? I used to enjoy it but drat if I can parse it anymore.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Republicans posted:

Oh my god, thank you for this. That host of all people as the voice of reason is great.

MR. REASONABLE

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BiggerBoat posted:

edit: aside, what the hell IS GBS now? I used to enjoy it but drat if I can parse it anymore.

A Safe for Work FYAD, basically.

I don't know if I want to know the context of this screenshot.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

MR. REASONABLE
It's astounding how much of the right winger crowd is obsessed with being right, and the caller in that recording is the most extreme case. My grandfather is a right wing media junkie as well, and when we talk politics, he can't seem to fathom how I can favor the truth over being RIGHT, and is baffled when I occasionally check the facts and admit I was wrong. He just doesn't understand why I would ever admit being wrong, which I in turn don't really understand.

snorch fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 14, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

snorch posted:

...he can't seem to fathom how I can favor the truth over being RIGHT, and is baffled when I occasionally check the facts and admit I was wrong. He just doesn't understand why I would ever admit being wrong, which I in turn don't really understand.

"Conservatism.txt" basically.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

pacerhimself posted:

The tree of liberty blah blah blah more blood more for the blood god.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Guess who his favorite radio personality was?

Thom Hartmann :rimshot:

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah this is basically the common argument and they won't ever seem to shut the gently caress up about it. People at that level pay more in taxes than most people make in a year while often making that money off of the backs of others. Business owner was the biggest giveaway, I think.
Due to the tax increases last year at both the federal and state levels, California, New York, and Hawaii, the net marginal tax rates on business income now exceeds 50%. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2176526

If the guy earned $500k (that is, pre-tax net profits both the corporation side) there is no way in hell he only lost 17 cents in his pocket for each dollar of net profit. The only way you get that kind of taxation figure quoted is if a) you are talking about a long term capital gain like selling a stock and b) you are ignoring state and local taxes or live in a state that does not tax such things.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

snorch posted:

It's astounding how much of the right winger crowd is obsessed with being right, and the caller in that recording is the most extreme case. My grandfather is a right wing media junkie as well, and when we talk politics, he can't seem to fathom how I can favor the truth over being RIGHT, and is baffled when I occasionally check the facts and admit I was wrong. He just doesn't understand why I would ever admit being wrong, which I in turn don't really understand.

It's not about whether you're right or wrong, but whether your team wins or not.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

snorch posted:

This is why, quite honestly, reality has a liberal bias. Sometimes people are wrong about things, but pointing that out with facts and numbers is rude and unfair. The media's job should be to say "Well some studies say the opposite, but hey these guys could still be right, who knows?"; anything more than that is LIBERAL BIAS.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

nebby posted:

Due to the tax increases last year at both the federal and state levels, California, New York, and Hawaii, the net marginal tax rates on business income now exceeds 50%. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2176526

If the guy earned $500k (that is, pre-tax net profits both the corporation side) there is no way in hell he only lost 17 cents in his pocket for each dollar of net profit. The only way you get that kind of taxation figure quoted is if a) you are talking about a long term capital gain like selling a stock and b) you are ignoring state and local taxes or live in a state that does not tax such things.

I believe it depends a lot on how the business is incorporated whether or not those figures hold true. Granted, when I owned a business I never came close to that magical 500k profit in a year, but I paid significantly less than 50% in taxes as an S-Corp; I believe the tax rates on other businesses like Sole Proprietorships are far more lenient in what you're able to write off in order to limit your tax liability as well. It's been a long time since I did any of the leg work on that though, since I gave up being my own boss and buckled into being another cog in the machine of a large corporation.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

nebby posted:

Well sure, if you have a poo poo accountant and no clue what you're doing in regards to corporate structuring then I guess you could pay more than 50% on profits over a certain threshold.

In reality nobody actually does, though

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Good Citizen posted:

Well sure, if you have a poo poo accountant and no clue what you're doing in regards to corporate structuring then I guess you could pay more than 50% on profits over a certain threshold.

In reality nobody actually does, though
If this is now a legitimate argument that current tax rates are not as high as they seem I don't ever want to hear the line about how the US had much higher marginal tax rates in the past and everyone was cool with it so we should do that again.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Wow, Limbaugh just flat out told to a caller that liberals only see women as 'walking vaginas who want to have sex all the time.' Coming from a man that has no loving idea how birth control works.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

nebby posted:

If this is now a legitimate argument that current tax rates are not as high as they seem I don't ever want to hear the line about how the US had much higher marginal tax rates in the past and everyone was cool with it so we should do that again.

As a matter of good legislative and economic policy, I do think that the corporate tax rate should be lowered and tax loopholes should be patched up.

As an accountant working on my CPA I hope they boost the rate sky high and make loopholes even more complicated for my own future job security

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

nebby posted:

Because... closing loopholes and tightening enforcement to raise the current effective tax rate would be preferable to raising the nominal tax rate, or what? I don't think I follow the criticism here.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

kik2dagroin posted:

Wow, Limbaugh just flat out told to a caller that liberals only see women as 'walking vaginas who want to have sex all the time.' Coming from a man that has no loving idea how birth control works.

Not to mention being a sex tourist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

kik2dagroin posted:

This is because the idea of women having agency at all of any kind (but especially with regard to sex) is totally alien to him. Conservatives use access to birth control and abortion to control women and make them submit to sex on men's terms, so of course free access to birth control must force women to have sex always.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Republican projection is getting to the point where they are just going to list liberals wanting the GOP platform and how that's bad. I'm pretty sure I've already heard them whining that the liberals want to give businesses BIG BENEFITS at the cost of the little guy (it's true if you think Democrats count as liberals but that's not who they are talking about really).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kik2dagroin posted:

And I'm pretty sure he stole that same insult from Mike Huckabee's speech from a month ago.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

kik2dagroin posted:

Hey give him a break with Viagra you have to pop a pill every time you have sex, maybe he just assumed the pill works the same way.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So Fox and friends "goes Galt" over a gradeschool valentines day. Because literally every asinine thing in people's everyday lives has got to be some kind of cultlike ideological battleground to attempt to validate libertarian anti-altruism bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKoQuHnsumo

Cupid shrugged....

...And didn't care because he's not a loving Ayn Rand cultist.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 15, 2014

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
:qq::qq::qq:

https://soundcloud.com/rightwingwatch/cruz-heart-weeping-due-to-gay

quote:

“Our heart weeps for the damage to traditional marriage that has been done,” Cruz said, warning that marriage is “under attack.”

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Spacedad posted:

So Fox and friends "goes Galt" over a gradeschool valentines day. Because literally every asinine thing in people's everyday lives has got to be some kind of cultlike ideological battleground to attempt to validate libertarian anti-altruism bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKoQuHnsumo

Cupid shrugged....

...And didn't care because he's not a loving Ayn Rand cultist.

But if we don't buy Valentine's cards for EVERY kid, then Hallmark will make less money and may have to cut jobs! WHAT THEN? :smug:

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Centripetal Horse posted:

Maybe ten years ago, I was listening to my favorite morning radio show (Lanigan and Malone - shout out Cleveland!), and they opened the phones to talk about taxes. Early on, this guy called in absolutely FURIOUS about the amount of taxes he's paid the previous year. He named a number, $85,000, and he pounded on that number. $85,000...

I'm sure the hosts were sooo happy that for the length of that call, Majic went from being a non offensive oldies station to Galt-FM. It seems like these types of people are the kind to try and interject politics into any conversation...and it just makes me feel weird and work hard to steer it back to more neutral topics. I was in Jacksonville NC the other day, and this guy walks in and asks me "Are you one of Baracks people?" - simply because my car had NJ plates. I replied that no, I was more of a Bernie Sanders socialist...he looked at me like I had three heads.

In other news...http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n28432

Radio-Online posted:

Syndicated talk host Phil Hendrie has made the decision to leave terrestrial radio. In a post on his website, Hendrie said he's making the move in order to have time to focus his energy on his successful podcast and other ventures in media. He will also continue doing "The World of Phil Hendrie Show" on TuneIn, iTunes, the Sideshow Network and philhendrieshow.com. The last day of "The World of Phil Hendrie" terrestrial radio broadcast will be March 14.

Guess terrestrial radio isn't the easy money it used to be...

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Is Phil Hendrie right wing now? I remember back back in his KFI days in Los Angeles he was the only guy worth listening to on a station stuffed full of Dr. N-word Schlessinger, Limbaugh, and other right wing blowhards. His last syndicated station in New York just fired everyone and went Spanish recently, so the move he's making now isn't too surprising.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

bigtom posted:

I was in Jacksonville NC the other day, and this guy walks in and asks me "Are you one of Baracks people?" - simply because my car had NJ plates. I replied that no, I was more of a Bernie Sanders socialist...he looked at me like I had three heads.

Kinda surprised you made it out of there in one piece with that attitude.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

bigtom posted:

I was in Jacksonville NC the other day, and this guy walks in and asks me "Are you one of Baracks people?" - simply because my car had NJ plates. I replied that no, I was more of a Bernie Sanders socialist...he looked at me like I had three heads.

I troll Mississippi Republicans by curbing Hicks, "Stalin had the right idea, he was just an underachiever".

That always ends up in a very awkward scene.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

comes along bort posted:

Kinda surprised you made it out of there in one piece with that attitude.

It helps that I'm 6 foot 1, 320 pounds, and look like a mobster (in stereotypical fashion, I drive a Cadillac - maybe he thought I had some dead bodies in it or something). The fact I had a date might have been a factor as well - I didn't want any trouble, but I was taken aback by his way of introducing himself.

Guy was very nice otherwise (he did drop the obligatory "I have black friends" when talking about how Obama has divided us by race and income level) - but it was a big reminder why I only lasted 10 months living in Eastern NC and got back to NJ as fast as I could. I had forgotten how many stations down there carry Rush, Beck, Levine, Savage, etc...almost as many religious stations to boot too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Overall, do all those religious stations actually get listened to or what? Lots of them seem like they're running on shoestring budgets and the sheer determination of a few local Guys Doing Well For Themselves to make sure the Word goes out, regardless of if anyone actually listens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is Phil Hendrie right wing now? I remember back back in his KFI days in Los Angeles he was the only guy worth listening to on a station stuffed full of Dr. N-word Schlessinger, Limbaugh, and other right wing blowhards. His last syndicated station in New York just fired everyone and went Spanish recently, so the move he's making now isn't too surprising.

Dude has always been right wing, he just never really talked about politics much. He might do it more now to more appeal to the average talk radio listener.