Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Thanks guys. Actually, i read somewhere that XBMC can connect to plex server. So if i install Plex Server on my Windows Server 2012 machine, will it also index the library for my XBMC clients for me? That would seem like an easier option than setting up mysql... honestly, i don't care too much about pausing on one machine and resuming on another.

evilalien posted:

Yes, that should be fine.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You could use plexbmc but I wouldn't even bother.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

if i install Plex Server on my Windows Server 2012 machine, will it also index the library for my XBMC clients for me? That would seem like an easier option than setting up mysql...
I believe you would have Plex index the library, then PleXBMC just caches that index (maybe...I haven't messed with PleXBMC much).

If you're staying within your local network, it's generally recommended to just stay on one app. Setting up MySQL takes under 30 minutes, even if you've never done anything like it before. This method also helps any slow machines that can't handle their own library updates (my old dell laptop from 2005 would die when I tried to run a library update from it).

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Alright, you guys convinced me to do the MySql route, hope i don't screw this up! Thanks.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've been having constant buffing issues with XBMC for quite some time now, but only on one computer, and only using XBMC. The computer is hard-wired with gigabit ethernet to the router, and streams videos from a SMB share. Wireless streaming from to my Nexus 7, gaming desktop, and Macbook is 100% fine, even with 1080p videos, but XBMC on the hard-wired computer always seems to needs to buffer. It seems to be completely random: sometimes I can watch a few episodes of a show and everything is fine, other times it starts buffering if I pause too long in between episodes, and sometimes I have to reboot the computer 2-3 times to get it to not buffer. I've run VLC on this computer and it has no issues. It's driving me crazy, does anyone have any suggestions?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 12, 2014

redhalo
May 19, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've been having constant buffing issues with XBMC for quite some time now, but only on one computer, and only using XBMC. The computer is hard-wired with gigabit ethernet to the router, and streams videos from a SMB share. Wireless streaming from to my Nexus 7, gaming desktop, and Macbook is 100% fine, even with 1080p videos, but XBMC on the hard-wired computer always seems to needs to buffer. It seems to be completely random: sometimes I can watch a few episodes of a show and everything is fine, other times it starts buffering if I pause too long in between episodes, and sometimes I have to reboot the computer 2-3 times to get it to not buffer. I've run VLC on this computer and it has no issues. It's driving me crazy, does anyone have any suggestions?

How well does it handle 1080p files locally?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Are you actually connecting at 1gbps?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

redhalo posted:

How well does it handle 1080p files locally?

I've never put 1080p files on it since it's running off of a 32gig SSD drive. When I stream them using VLC on the same computer I've never had a single problem, but obviously I'd prefer having the nice library of XBMC.

Don Lapre posted:

Are you actually connecting at 1gbps?

According to the network portion of the control panel, yes. Both the router and the computer have gigabit ports and I purchased a 1000BASE-T cable just to be sure.

I actually went into the settings and disabled all of the extra audio options (DTS Capable Receiver, AAC Capable Receiver, etc...) even though my receiver can handle all of that and more and I haven't run into a problem so far..knock on wood.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've never put 1080p files on it since it's running off of a 32gig SSD drive. When I stream them using VLC on the same computer I've never had a single problem, but obviously I'd prefer having the nice library of XBMC.

According to the network portion of the control panel, yes. Both the router and the computer have gigabit ports and I purchased a 1000BASE-T cable just to be sure.

I actually went into the settings and disabled all of the extra audio options (DTS Capable Receiver, AAC Capable Receiver, etc...) even though my receiver can handle all of that and more and I haven't run into a problem so far..knock on wood.

Yeah see, it sounds to me like your pc just wasn't capable of processing large 1080p files in XBMC as opposed to it being a networking issue. I had buffering problems on my first crappy htpc in the same way with 1080p files. XBMC is not VLC, performance between the two is not equal. Sounds like disabling that stuff may have brought it just under the threshold.

I decided to upgrade my htpc when I attempted 10bit 1080p files and it just poo poo the bed. Played fine in VLC in that case too.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

redhalo posted:

Yeah see, it sounds to me like your pc just wasn't capable of processing large 1080p files in XBMC as opposed to it being a networking issue. I had buffering problems on my first crappy htpc in the same way with 1080p files. XBMC is not VLC, performance between the two is not equal. Sounds like disabling that stuff may have brought it just under the threshold.

I decided to upgrade my htpc when I attempted 10bit 1080p files and it just poo poo the bed. Played fine in VLC in that case too.

Honestly, I would agree with you if it just didn't play 1080p files at all in XBMC, but that's not the case. From what I can tell it's completely random; sometimes exiting and re-opening XBMC 3-4 times fixes it and it will play hours of 1080p movies completely fine, other times I need to restart the computer once or twice, and sometimes it just works. I build the computer less than 2 years ago so the specs should be just fine for 1080p playback; the computer I used before this one was able to play 1080p just fine as well and it was ~5 year old hardware by the time I upgraded to my new setup. It does the same exact thing with 720p and SD files as well.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Honestly, I would agree with you if it just didn't play 1080p files at all in XBMC, but that's not the case. From what I can tell it's completely random; sometimes exiting and re-opening XBMC 3-4 times fixes it and it will play hours of 1080p movies completely fine, other times I need to restart the computer once or twice, and sometimes it just works. I build the computer less than 2 years ago so the specs should be just fine for 1080p playback; the computer I used before this one was able to play 1080p just fine as well and it was ~5 year old hardware by the time I upgraded to my new setup. It does the same exact thing with 720p and SD files as well.

It's not always as simple as that. My previous pc that had trouble was about a year old. What are the specs of the computer, namely processor and graphics card or motherboard if using onboard video. The age is irrelevant if you don't have appropriate graphics hardware acceleration. Then it relies on the processor for everything, and yes it is still easy to build a pc in this day that misses this.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

redhalo posted:

It's not always as simple as that. My previous pc that had trouble was about a year old. What are the specs of the computer, namely processor and graphics card or motherboard if using onboard video. The age is irrelevant if you don't have appropriate graphics hardware acceleration. Then it relies on the processor for everything, and yes it is still easy to build a pc in this day that misses this.

It's this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V4G2W6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With 8 gigs of ram. I appreciate your input here, but honestly, it's not the hardware. Like I've said, this problem happens with SD and 720p videos too, and my setup is more than capable of playing both of these types of files. It can and has gone long stretches where it plays 1080p, DTS files perfectly fine and then randomly decides it needs to buffer every minute until I restart the program a few times, following which it plays the exact same movie 100% fine.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V4G2W6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With 8 gigs of ram. I appreciate your input here, but honestly, it's not the hardware. Like I've said, this problem happens with SD and 720p videos too, and my setup is more than capable of playing both of these types of files. It can and has gone long stretches where it plays 1080p, DTS files perfectly fine and then randomly decides it needs to buffer every minute until I restart the program a few times, following which it plays the exact same movie 100% fine.

OK, here's the thing, you don't know what your talking about. You have self admitted that by coming here saying you're stumped and asking for advice. The way you describe your problems, reboots and all, are exactly symptoms of your graphics hardware not decoding and putting it all on the processor, also your motherboard is practically the AMD equivalency of my ION I had before that had issues, it's basically much shittier than advertised. But there may be hope, go into XBMC and verify in Settings -> Video -> Playback that "Allow hardware acceleration" is turned on and "Render method" is set to auto.

edit: If those settings look good, play a video in XBMC that is struggling and hit "O", does the second line say "dxva" anywhere? The last line should list the CPU average, what is that percentage?

double edit: This is a stretch, but I have come across someone who had more drastic video problems that were tied to incompatibilities between his audio driver and the GPU. Check Settings -> System -> Audio output and try seting it to "WASAPI AMD HDMI"

redhalo fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 13, 2014

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

redhalo posted:

your motherboard is practically the AMD equivalency of my ION I had before that had issues, it's basically much shittier than advertised.

I have three Zotac AD10s which have the same dual core E350 processor and 6310 graphics that the OP has in his motherboard and I've never had any issues playing any 1080p x264 encode, so I wouldn't say it's the hardware. The OP should try OpenELEC.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

wolfbiker posted:

I have three Zotac AD10s which have the same dual core E350 processor and 6310 graphics that the OP has in his motherboard and I've never had any issues playing any 1080p x264 encode, so I wouldn't say it's the hardware. The OP should try OpenELEC.

I also have a Zotac system that has the same E350 chip and it had serious buffering problems, but only on WiFi. Turns out that the Wifi driver for windows 7 for the Atheros chip it uses is dog poo poo. OpenELEC runs great on it.

I know his configuration was wired, but just the same, trying OpenElec is pretty low effort.

In any case, that system should have no problem playing back 1080p files, if everything else is right.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
PseudoTV isn't catching my subtitle key, anyone else run into this?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Gunslinger posted:

PseudoTV isn't catching my subtitle key, anyone else run into this?

Speaking of this, I get script errors when trying to launch this on 12.3. I had it installed previously and it was working but I think Frodo broke it. I downloaded the newest version but can't get it to run.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I had to manually nuke the addon data for it awhile ago after a similar problem, uninstall wasn't doing it for some reason. Make sure you get the stable-pre, it works on Frodo. For some reason the channel config wouldn't work until I restarted XBMC but then it was fine.

Now if I could just get the thing to stop showing subtitles it would be perfect, totally love the addon.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

I also have a Zotac system that has the same E350 chip and it had serious buffering problems, but only on WiFi. Turns out that the Wifi driver for windows 7 for the Atheros chip it uses is dog poo poo. OpenELEC runs great on it.

I know his configuration was wired, but just the same, trying OpenElec is pretty low effort.

In any case, that system should have no problem playing back 1080p files, if everything else is right.

Same here. No issues over gigabit ethernet but it buffers on anything over 720p over wifi.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

I'm not saying it's bad hardware, I'm saying it isn't using hardware decoding for whatever reason, which could be multiple possible things on any hardware, namely it may just be turned off in XBMC by accident, whereas most people don't fiddle with VLC settings and it's on by default. Without the hardware decoding activated that processor will struggle to decode on it's own. Turn it off on yours and see.

I'm offering steps to troubleshoot it to narrow down what the problem could be. If he chooses not to attempt the obvious steps to rule things out then I just don't know what to tell him.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

redhalo posted:

OK, here's the thing, you don't know what your talking about.

This is just a bit condescending..not sure if that was your intent but I've been working with computers for quite some time and most of the time I can figure this stuff out on my own, but right now I can't which is why I'm asking here.

redhalo posted:

But there may be hope, go into XBMC and verify in Settings -> Video -> Playback that "Allow hardware acceleration" is turned on and "Render method" is set to auto.

This is how it's been set up.

redhalo posted:

edit: If those settings look good, play a video in XBMC that is struggling and hit "O", does the second line say "dxva" anywhere? The last line should list the CPU average, what is that percentage?

I haven't had a video stutter since I adjusted the audio settings but yes, the 2nd line says dxva, and the core hovers between 15-25% on a 1080p movie.

redhalo posted:

double edit: This is a stretch, but I have come across someone who had more drastic video problems that were tied to incompatibilities between his audio driver and the GPU. Check Settings -> System -> Audio output and try seting it to "WASAPI AMD HDMI"

When I do this, I don't get any audio at all.

Lowen SoDium posted:

If problems pop up again I'll try out OpenElec, looks like I can just toss it on a thumb drive and see how it goes..thanks for the suggestion!

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Has anyone in Perth Australia had much luck with finding a decent XMLTV source for the PVR?

EDIT: To elaborate - how do I make my PVR look as nice as this (with the icons and all):

Spekkio fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 14, 2014

redhalo
May 19, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is just a bit condescending..not sure if that was your intent but I've been working with computers for quite some time and most of the time I can figure this stuff out on my own, but right now I can't which is why I'm asking here.

I apologize, I assumed you were being condescending first when I ask trouble shooting questions and you dismissed it because "It can't be the hardware" when that's not what I said. You've worked with computers so you can understand that when an issue arises there are common reasons you need to rule out first. You sounded like you had your system figured out and there's nothing I can do to convince you that it might not be networking issues. Again, I'm sorry. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

redhalo posted:

I apologize, I assumed you were being condescending first when I ask trouble shooting questions and you dismissed it because "It can't be the hardware" when that's not what I said. You've worked with computers so you can understand that when an issue arises there are common reasons you need to rule out first. You sounded like you had your system figured out and there's nothing I can do to convince you that it might not be networking issues. Again, I'm sorry. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Hey no worries, I re-read my posts and I can see how I could come across as a prick. I've spent a lot of time the past few weeks on the phone with customer support for a few other things as well, so I also probably don't have a ton of patience at the moment :)

From everything I can tell, something in the audio settings was causing the problems, but I watched a 1080p movie with a DTS audio track last night and it played perfectly fine, so it seems unchecking the 'DTS Receiver' buttons didn't really affect anything. I'll do some experimenting this weekend and see if I can narrow it down to a specific setting in that menu.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hey no worries, I re-read my posts and I can see how I could come across as a prick. I've spent a lot of time the past few weeks on the phone with customer support for a few other things as well, so I also probably don't have a ton of patience at the moment :)

From everything I can tell, something in the audio settings was causing the problems, but I watched a 1080p movie with a DTS audio track last night and it played perfectly fine, so it seems unchecking the 'DTS Receiver' buttons didn't really affect anything. I'll do some experimenting this weekend and see if I can narrow it down to a specific setting in that menu.

Yeah, I got buggy for some reason. I'm going to assume your drivers are up to date. I don't know, it does sound like there's some wonkyness going on with the audio drivers, but enabling those settings "should" imply that it's just sending the audio untouched directly to the receivers. It "should" be offloading processing, not the other way around.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have an older model Zotac running XBMC that hasn't failed me - I've been using it for a couple years now and love it.

My buddy wants to have a similar HTPC experience but I'm out of the loop with what small form factor units are considered the best. What he should be looking at in the ~$200 range?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I have an older model Zotac running XBMC that hasn't failed me - I've been using it for a couple years now and love it.

My buddy wants to have a similar HTPC experience but I'm out of the loop with what small form factor units are considered the best. What he should be looking at in the ~$200 range?

Probably a Celeron Nuc.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Anyone else use the Radbox video plugin to share youtube to xbmc and have it stop working the last few weeks? It seemed to not work at all for a couple days then came back, but adding items to it doesn't show in XBMC. However deleting items from it deletes them from xbmc as normal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
How does one login to the Youtube plugin these days? My Google email address has two G+ accounts on it (one for youtube and my own personal one) which I think fucks up trying to login.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

How does one login to the Youtube plugin these days? My Google email address has two G+ accounts on it (one for youtube and my own personal one) which I think fucks up trying to login.
I made an application-specific password: https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yeah, I did that too but it just sat there 'working' for a few minutes before.. either crashing or just not logging in and returning to otherwise normal operation.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, I've had no fun with that plugin ether. Honestly the Youtube Channel Plugin is far better by virtue of the fact that it skips whatever Google auth bullshit is making the Youtube Plugin poo poo itself.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
There are a bunch of different NUCs aren't there? Can anyone recommend a couple that work out-of-the-box with OpenELEC the way that an AD10/12 does?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

wolfbiker posted:

There are a bunch of different NUCs aren't there? Can anyone recommend a couple that work out-of-the-box with OpenELEC the way that an AD10/12 does?

AFAIK, they all work with the OpenELEC Intel builds. The new Celeron 2820 model had some install issues, but it's either been ironed out or the fixes are simple. You can run it fine from a USB drive and skip the SSD if you want.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

wolfbiker posted:

The cheapest Intel NUC will do fine.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

amitlu posted:

Anyone else use the Radbox video plugin to share youtube to xbmc and have it stop working the last few weeks? It seemed to not work at all for a couple days then came back, but adding items to it doesn't show in XBMC. However deleting items from it deletes them from xbmc as normal.

I've also been noticing problems with Radbox. Since they sort of abandoned it (last post on their blog was December 2012), I'm not very hopeful about it working well again.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

dox posted:

The cheapest Intel NUC will do fine.

Any idea how the different models would do for performance at all?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Is it possible to get sickbeard to update the mysql library database?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Is it possible to get sickbeard to update the mysql library database?

Directly? no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Are current builds of XBMC on Raspberry Pi (Raspbmc or Openelec I guess) solid?

I've used XBMC for a few years now with a Revo and its been excellent. I'm thinking about setting up a secondary install on a Raspberry Pi, but I'm skeptical that it will actually work the way I'm used to. I don't need fancy skins or anything, I just want to watch my content (mostly 720p) from another room in the house and maybe also check out movie trailers from Apple or whatever.

If it's liable to stutter or be a pain in the rear end to keep running I'll spend more and grab a NUC but if it will work on a Pi, I might as well just do that considering it's a secondary box.