Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I have no idea what I just watched, but it was kind of interesting. Looked like people skiing down a slope and doing sick tricks after ramping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SpannerX posted:

Holy gently caress, the black Canadian hockey uniforms are... I don't really know what they are. I guess that's one of our colours?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBOxGFA7Oig

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

SpannerX posted:

Holy gently caress, the black Canadian hockey uniforms are... I don't really know what they are. I guess that's one of our colours?
I love them. Makes Canada look kinda evil. How awesome is Sidney Crosby?

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:

sochiswag.jpg

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Darth123123 posted:

What other countries even do this like the USA?

e: And why does the USA govt not fund their teams? (Besides the fact they don't have to)

Well the Jamaican bobsled team had to use kickstarter to fund their trip.

The USOC gets funding from TV rights and sponsorships which it then doles out to each US Sporting federation. Individual athletes will naturally get individual sponsorships with success at the games.

edit: well a little Googling says the US is one of three countries that do not publically fund their olympic teams.

nickutz fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 14, 2014

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
The past 20 pages have made me feel like a bad lesbian. I haven't done the dadgaysowhat with the :shlick: emoticon at every 2nd or 3rd picture of anything remotely resembling a female at about a rate of five to twelve :shlick:'s a page.

.... Shall I be excommunicated now? Please let me stay.
Here, have some more gifs as my personal apology.
..sour brite octopus?

I'm sorry but I'm addicted to these holy poo poo. It does something to my brain.

End with a dawwww moment:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

pope archibald posted:

sochiswag.jpg

Dogtarp very nice. Dog love, look how happy.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ahh, the Torino games. AKA, when I got obsessed with curling because two of the women on the US team were twins.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Darth123123 posted:

I'm amazed she could skate at all with all the extra.

Sports bras are impressive pieces of equipment.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
Hanyu won the gold in men's figure skating, despite falling on his first and third jump (because of cumulative scoring I guess?) The guy is awesome, if you like figure skating he's worth watching on Youtube.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Pheeets posted:

Hanyu won the gold in men's figure skating, despite falling on his first and third jump (because of cumulative scoring I guess?) The guy is awesome, if you like figure skating he's worth watching on Youtube.

As Johnny Weir said, no one actually wanted to win a loving medal today.

An Olympic gold to a performance with two falls, a step-out, etc (Chan's performance also had 2 falls, step-outs, etc).

R.I.P. Plushenko's spine

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Sports bras are impressive pieces of equipment.

The technology to develop a material strong enough to create a space elevator has to start somewhere.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Vakal posted:

The technology to develop a material strong enough to create a space elevator has to start somewhere.

Sounds about right to me.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pheeets posted:

His short program was flawless.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

ChairmanMeow posted:

His short program was flawless.

I heard it was amazing, but I can't find a video of it anywhere. Is it on Youtube yet?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Haven't found a video, but it's bound to pop up. No one was even close. It seemed like every one else seemed to fall. It was the only over 100 score ever.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

SpannerX posted:

they're alternate colors for when the other team's uniform is similar, in this case austria's white and red would have been indistinguishable from canada's own white and red uniforms

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Did Bob Costas Disease strike Matt Lauer, or was he telling the truth when he said the other day he was running out of clothes? :ohdear:

Meredith Viera's achoring tonight.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can't wash clothes, they might become contagious.

Drink only beer/vodka, bottled water is reserved for the sponge baths.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

Did Bob Costas Disease strike Matt Lauer, or was he telling the truth when he said the other day he was running out of clothes? :ohdear:

Meredith Viera's achoring tonight.

as that figure skater said yesterday, they're only human

here's my favorite meredith moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fca9YOOFIzU

these skeleton women do not have skeleton butts

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

as that figure skater said yesterday, they're only human

here's my favorite meredith moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fca9YOOFIzU

these skeleton women do not have skeleton butts

I always enjoyed the 30 Rock bits that implies she was a depraved sex fiend. I think she also had a green card marriage with one of the janitors.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

american tyrant skeleton report

i was right, they didn't give the winner the time of day

they acted like the silver medalist won

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

ChairmanMeow posted:

Haven't found a video, but it's bound to pop up. No one was even close. It seemed like every one else seemed to fall. It was the only over 100 score ever.

Found a video in Russian here. Not sure how to direct link to it as it's in some player. I don't "get" ice dancing, but I guess it was okay.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Konjuro posted:

The second result in google for 'curling anime' is a hentai game about a high school curling club :wtc:

hahahahaha

They dress just like that one team too. Amazing.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Fun fact: I went to high school with the Irish skeletoneer responsible for the :aaa: moment where he held onto the sled during a bail and recovered. Can't post the GIF from mobile.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 15, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

pope archibald posted:

sochiswag.jpg

Even dog must be buried in nice suit.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Is Bob Costas blind / dead yet?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Al Borland posted:

Is Bob Costas blind / dead yet?

The bug alien that's wearing him like a suit is going to need to either go back to his home planet or inhabit Matt Lauer soon, that's for sure.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The bug alien that's wearing him like a suit is going to need to either go back to his home planet or inhabit Matt Lauer soon, that's for sure.

The question is, should we give Costas the Galaxy so he leaves us alone, or just shoot him.

Mike88511
Aug 12, 2008

Looks like Ivan has been playing with the thermostat again.

“Canada was silver at the top, but the further we went down, the slower we got, and that’s a clear sign that the track slowed down dramatically,” Staudinger said to the Toronto Star after just missing the podium."

"The temperature on luge tracks is controlled, so in order to slow down the track, one can simply turn up the heat. And Staudinger believes that Russia did just that to ensure that their team medaled. The Russian relay team won silver, while top contenders like Canada and Austria missed the podium altogether."

:flame:

"In response, Gilbert Felli, the executive director of the games for the IOC, said in a press conference on Friday that Staudinger should stop being a sore loser."

In other news, has anyone seen the Putin pins for the Olympics?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

He later used those to smother a dog.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I... need... sugar, and... a.... teleprompter.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Listening to the curling matches during work is pretty calming, and then I can take a break to watch the last four stone throws per end.

Hearing the curlers roar their barbarian shouts after a high-scoring end is a treat.

---

The off-air CBC banter continues to be strangely charming.

During the Canada vs Denmark match (Starts at 29:40):

On air:
While explaining that the IOC mandates that name on the athletes' shirts must match the last name on their passport...
:colbert: : "His last name is actually Hansen but he goes by Stjerne all the time. Stjerne is actually his middle name. Fun Fact."
;-* : "I think you need to need to explain... I am a tad confused, just because his dad is a well-known curler, Thomas Stjerne."
:colbert: : "I got what I got, what can I tell you?"
:v: : "Joan, sometimes you just have to accept the Fun Facts and move on. They are not to be questioned."

Off air:
:colbert: : "That was a Fun Fact!"
:v: : "This is painful for me to do, but I gotta to side with Joan, because I'm not sure that Fun Fact made any sense."
;-* : "Here's my theory. Hansen is his mother's name, and maybe he took his mother's name and then they got married after he was born."
:colbert: : "It's not Fun Theories. It's Fun Facts. We speak of this no more."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
When I hear curling mentioned...

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

That skeleton GIF I mentioned is here.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

CLAM DOWN posted:

has Vanek done anything?

He had a pretty nice dump and change after getting stuck in his own zone chasing Crosby around for a few minutes...?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

strangemusic posted:

That skeleton GIF I mentioned is here.
Here I linked it for you

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Hhaha yeah god forbid American media highlights anything where the US doesn't win, what I now find hilarious is how in the Summer Olympics since China now get more golds than the US it's no longer about the number of golds oh no it's about the total number of medals (bronzes apparently counting just as much) leading to a total redesign of the medal table.

from a country whose media never fails to bring up world war two when competing against german teams in anything I will not accept lessons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i hear nobody can finish the super g course heh

• Locked thread