Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Here's what I've been working on recently:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You can try downloading the pack I was talking about at it's technic URL: http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/draugur-saga

I can't make guarantees since I'm still tweaking it and looking for bugs. I'd suggest tweaking the configs in ways that make it more your style.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Even if it's buggy, it'll let me see some of these mods that I haven't messed with personally and stuff.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fortis posted:

* Unstable ingots are pretty terrible. They explode catastrophically 10 seconds after being crafted, which WILL kill you (there is a special death message for it). They'll also explode if you drop them on the ground. You basically have to make them and then immediately make what you want to make with them and if you gently caress up, you're going to die. The only thing I've found them to be really useful for is Ethereal Glass, which will let players pass through it, but not mobs, and looks pretty cool.

Are you making GBS threads on the phenomenal builder's wand? With a click on (nearly) any block, you place another block of the same type from your inventory on it! Unimpressed? The effect expands to all nearby blocks of the same type at that level, to a maximum of nine at a time! Just click once on top of a wall with a builder's wand, and now that wall is one block taller. Expand rooves and floors across the ground with speed, ease, and precision! And it has infinite uses and no cost to utilize.

Everyone should spawn with a goddamn builder's wand, they are phenomenal.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

McFrugal posted:

The gently caress? RF should be 10, not... that number.

In the Resonant Rise pack:
code:
compatiblity {
    D:"BuildCraft Conversion Ratio"=25.0
    D:"IndustrialCraft Conversion Ratio"=10.0
    B:"Is Network Active"=false
    B:"Is Voltage Sensitive"=false
    D:"Thermal Expansion Conversion Ratio"=2.5
}

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Out of curiosity, what's the difference, besides aesthetics and some waypoint details, between the different minimap mods? Mapwriter's been popular in a lot of packs I've used lately but some things about it feel less convenient/user-friendly than the others I've tried.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Roland Jones posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the difference, besides aesthetics and some waypoint details, between the different minimap mods? Mapwriter's been popular in a lot of packs I've used lately but some things about it feel less convenient/user-friendly than the others I've tried.

I'm pretty sure Zan's/Voxelmap is essentially Rei's with more features (I believe one is a fork of the other or something like that), but MapWriter has several functionality differences; the two I found most notable (and the biggest reasons I prefer Zan's over it) are the fact that waypoints don't appear in-world and you can't move while you have the big overview map open. (Also I think waypoints are a bit easier to set in Rei's/Zan's.)

Those said, MapWriter does save all areas you've seen, and you can pan around on the big overview map to view the map beyond your immediate area, and apparently it has groups for waypoints that you can turn on and off all at once. I don't know what other features MapWriter has over the other two, if any.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

GotLag posted:

In the Resonant Rise pack:
code:
compatiblity {
    D:"BuildCraft Conversion Ratio"=25.0
    D:"IndustrialCraft Conversion Ratio"=10.0
    B:"Is Network Active"=false
    B:"Is Voltage Sensitive"=false
    D:"Thermal Expansion Conversion Ratio"=2.5
}

Well that's correct, but only because IC2 power is set to 10 instead of 40.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Danny Glands posted:

Here's what I've been working on recently:

Very pretty!

If you pop into my IRC channel, there's a link to 0.3.0X3, which includes the active cooling system. It's not documented yet, but the CC API for active cooling should be done and stable now. :ssh:

Hoping for a full 0.3.0 public release in a week-ish.

Edit: Dumped a link to the 0.3.0X builds in the Evolution PGS thread, here.

Erogenous Beef fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 14, 2014

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!

Erogenous Beef posted:

Hoping for a full 0.3.0 public release in a week-ish.

Is that going to be 1.7.2 or 1.6.4?

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Mutamu posted:

Is that going to be 1.7.2 or 1.6.4?

1.6.4. I won't be going to 1.7 until TE does, as I'm pretty tightly coupled to RF.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

m2pt5 posted:

I'm pretty sure Zan's/Voxelmap is essentially Rei's with more features (I believe one is a fork of the other or something like that), but MapWriter has several functionality differences; the two I found most notable (and the biggest reasons I prefer Zan's over it) are the fact that waypoints don't appear in-world and you can't move while you have the big overview map open. (Also I think waypoints are a bit easier to set in Rei's/Zan's.)

Those said, MapWriter does save all areas you've seen, and you can pan around on the big overview map to view the map beyond your immediate area, and apparently it has groups for waypoints that you can turn on and off all at once. I don't know what other features MapWriter has over the other two, if any.

The waypoint setting and visibility are the things that have been annoying me about Mapwriter, yeah. Those other features sound neat, but not like things I'd use too often so I'll probably go for convenience here.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Mapwriter also integrates with Opis, which is really incredibly useful from a server op's perspective. As far as I know, there aren't any similar tools available for Rei or Zan.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Mystic Mongol posted:

Are you making GBS threads on the phenomenal builder's wand? With a click on (nearly) any block, you place another block of the same type from your inventory on it! Unimpressed? The effect expands to all nearby blocks of the same type at that level, to a maximum of nine at a time! Just click once on top of a wall with a builder's wand, and now that wall is one block taller. Expand rooves and floors across the ground with speed, ease, and precision! And it has infinite uses and no cost to utilize.

Everyone should spawn with a goddamn builder's wand, they are phenomenal.

The builder's wand spawns as dungeon loot in the pack I'm using. :colbert:

(I forgot about it, I agree it is super useful. Unstable ingots are still dumb as hell.)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
All the pigmen are hostile to me be default in NST 1.6. I went in with a power suit that wasn't shielded and one beat the poo poo out of me in three hits. By the time I got back I had lost the leg and chest pieces. :(

(NEI cheat mode to the rescue)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

All the pigmen are hostile to me be default in NST 1.6. I went in with a power suit that wasn't shielded and one beat the poo poo out of me in three hits. By the time I got back I had lost the leg and chest pieces. :(

Are you sure it's by default? Did you maybe dig up a nether ore? (That aggros them.)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there a limit on tesseract fluid throughput?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There's some mod that causes explosions upon your first arrival in the nether, and that aggros nearby pigmen. Could be Nether Ores doing it, even.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I probably pulled up some nether coal or something. Man that's pretty dumb. So I guess now I have to go into the Nether with my war face on. They stayed active even after I had died, which I thought particularly obnoxious.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I probably pulled up some nether coal or something. Man that's pretty dumb. So I guess now I have to go into the Nether with my war face on. They stayed active even after I had died, which I thought particularly obnoxious.

If you're playing single player or it's your server, you can disable pigman aggression due to nether ore mining. I do, because I think it's dumb.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

The waypoint setting and visibility are the things that have been annoying me about Mapwriter, yeah. Those other features sound neat, but not like things I'd use too often so I'll probably go for convenience here.
If you alt+f4 it doesn't save your stuff. That is the worst part about mapwriter. I've lost entire maps, all my waypoints, etc, multiple times because of that. It's very particular about when it saves things clientside. The other map mods provide a better user experience overall, but mapwriter's limitations (besides the saving thing) are nice too depending on the pack.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Mapwriter has a lot of handy server side things.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Far from the prying eyes of gods and men lies a secluded island retreat. What secrets could hide within this quaint cottage?

http://imgur.com/a/xCGcn

The Witchery mod is far deeper than I thought based on first impressions. Gotta build out my secret underground chamber to house all that stuff next!

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 15, 2014

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Far from the prying eyes of gods and men lies a secluded island retreat. What secrets could hide within this quaint cottage?

http://imgur.com/a/xCGcn

The Witchery mod is far deeper than I thought based on first impressions. Gotta build out my secret underground chamber to house all that stuff next!

:swoon: That moss roof, those cupboards! Dark secrets! I love it!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The slope bricks seem cool at first but then when I actually think about using them, I find it impossible. If I use them anywhere then I've got to use them everywhere. I do like the other carpenter stuff, like disguised buttons and grass on any block, that makes transitioning from a retaining wall to a grass surface much neater.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

It is like I am playing Daggerfall all over again!

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

GotLag posted:

How long does deuterium last in the reactor?
I last played with Atomic Science in Tekkit (1.5.2) and two deuterium cells in a single reactor would produce continuous steam (and so power) for about 10 minutes, with falloff over the next 4 minutes. I believe this was a flood type reactor (1z high, diamond shaped, 6 distance between reactor and outer wall on the cardinals). It produced enough steam over something like 80 large turbines to produce 22.5 million MJ in that time period. I remember being annoyed that it was gonna take four of them to run a mining laser at full tilt with TE power conduit limits and would take 50,000 or so copper to build all the turbines. (Didn't have access to Magic Crops + Magic Lilypads in Tekkit. Huge logistical problem. With them though, there's no reason to make all that power... :shepface:)

Needless to say, you don't want to feed deuterium into it constantly, it's hugely inefficient. There used to be a lot of topics somewhere on setting the things up, but I can't find any now with some token searches, and I don't know if the details have changed. Seems like all the useful threads got nuked with a Technic forums update.

e: I remember just using a Computer Craft timer to fuel them roughly every 10 minutes was best. The real problem for automation was AS fission reactors because to efficiently automate you had to pull the fuel rod before it broke, dump it into the breeder setup, and pull it back out again as soon as it repaired to avoid wasting breeder rods... it was a huge pain in the rear end and Big Reactors does the whole idea way better. The AS fusion reactors were okay though.

GotLag posted:

Is there a limit on tesseract fluid throughput?
According to this: no. Probably.

Dux Supremus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 15, 2014

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Dux Supremus posted:

According to this: no. Probably.

IIRC, KL stated on one of DW20's videos this season that there was no longer a limit on any tesseract throughput. He basically said they are strictly space bridges now and whatever goes in one end comes out the other.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The Yogscast YogLabs series just covered a really cool mod called StarMiner from a Japanese developer. I don't know how the developer managed it, but it allows you to walk on certain pads, whether they're placed on the floor, wall or ceiling. It apparently also has ways to effect gravity without relying on the pads, but I'm not entirely sure how that works with just a little messing around on my own after throwing it into Attack of the B-Team.

The gravity pads.

Something you can do inside of a bit of worldgen added by the mod.

The mod they show a little bit of in the beginning (that I skipped over in the link above, if it works) is Sync, which also looks really cool. It allows you to transfer consciousness between clones of yourself, which are made through machines powered by treadmills operated by animals. Their previous video covered it well enough.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I love the look of both of these mods. I am going to have to look into rolling a light modpack so I can try them out in single player, as the big packs I usually play in MP are too big for me to even generate a world in SP on anything but superflat.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blacktooth posted:

It is like I am playing Daggerfall all over again!

This is what I thought when I saw that screen shot too. Most of my modding experience has been trying to turn Minecraft into a randomized Daggerfall :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yo Sultan Tarquin, I’m really happy for you, Imma let you finish but this is one of the best island compounds of all time:

Behold the elegant tree and crop farms, the floating dirt paddies suspended off the ocean floor by magic. The hobbit hut crammed in the middle and filled and blocked in by trees makes it nice and cozy. And who doesn't like a giant Wifi array on top of their dirt mound? Sleep to the calming sounds of a nether portal hissing and vomiting next to your cobblestone bed.

An interior space like this lets you know, "Hey, I'm too busy preparing to make nice accommodations to actually make nice accommodations. And by the time I get there, I will probably quit playing."

Here is an example of lavish furnishings that says, "Seriously I suck and this only happened because I only had some pink wood when I made this door."

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
As dirt mounds go it's pretty up there!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I have a weird issue with NST Diet and I doubt it's a known one but I might as well try. When I enter the Nether, everything's fine for a minute or two, then I start getting this weird, horrible lag like the server is dropping connection and I'm getting stuck. It lasts for 2-5 seconds and there's about a second or so between lag bursts. Mobs freeze in place, but ghast legs keep moving, blocks don't disappear when mined but you can move through them, etc.

Even weirder is that if I manage to get back to a Nether portal and go through to the Overworld, chunks don't load and the issue gets even worse, freezing for nearly 10 seconds at a time. I have to restart the server AND the client to fix it. What the gently caress is going on?

The server TPS is fine, the CPU usage is normal, and the issue appears to be clientside as there's nothing in the server logs. It makes mining for quartz and glowstone a real pain. Until it's fixed, I just set up a couple of command blocks to give me a stack of glowstone dust, a stack of quartz, and 2 stacks of netherrack until I fix it.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Technic's site appears to be making GBS threads itself grossly. :(

EDIT: What's the preferred upload service of choice for modpacks? Silly people like me have no access to our own hosting or anything like that, and Dropbox direct linking doesn't work.

The Mattybee fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 15, 2014

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

D34THROW posted:

I have a weird issue with NST Diet and I doubt it's a known one but I might as well try. When I enter the Nether, everything's fine for a minute or two, then I start getting this weird, horrible lag like the server is dropping connection and I'm getting stuck. It lasts for 2-5 seconds and there's about a second or so between lag bursts. Mobs freeze in place, but ghast legs keep moving, blocks don't disappear when mined but you can move through them, etc.

Even weirder is that if I manage to get back to a Nether portal and go through to the Overworld, chunks don't load and the issue gets even worse, freezing for nearly 10 seconds at a time. I have to restart the server AND the client to fix it. What the gently caress is going on?

The server TPS is fine, the CPU usage is normal, and the issue appears to be clientside as there's nothing in the server logs. It makes mining for quartz and glowstone a real pain. Until it's fixed, I just set up a couple of command blocks to give me a stack of glowstone dust, a stack of quartz, and 2 stacks of netherrack until I fix it.

Sounds like chunk generation may be wonky on your setup. What kind of server are you using?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

mechaet posted:

Sounds like chunk generation may be wonky on your setup. What kind of server are you using?

$20/month Akliz server since none of my home computers are beefy enough to run more than a vanilla server. I have dynmap installed, might that be something to do with it? Or should I try to pregen the Nether or something?

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Onean posted:

The mod they show a little bit of in the beginning (that I skipped over in the link above, if it works) is Sync, which also looks really cool. It allows you to transfer consciousness between clones of yourself, which are made through machines powered by treadmills operated by animals. Their previous video covered it well enough.

Sync is cool and all, but it doesn't play very well with SMP currently. On servers I've played with it, it's caused permanent-invulnerable players, losing all their inventory in the process.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I noticed that TE machines will now just pull ore it can mine, and leave poo poo it can't in the chest, does this work with AE? Can I just slap an export bus on the pulverizer, an input on the Furnace and call it a day?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

I noticed that TE machines will now just pull ore it can mine, and leave poo poo it can't in the chest, does this work with AE? Can I just slap an export bus on the pulverizer, an input on the Furnace and call it a day?

You'd need to use an ME interface, not an export bus, and that would only work if TE machines are capable of seeing the entire inventory through the interface or not. (The only thing I've seen that I know is able to do that is Logistics Pipes' supplier pipe.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am finally started to hollow out and set up the work site for my undersea dome using (mostly) NST 1.6 (added enchantment plus and switched the mapping mod). This means migrating a lot of gear and setting up a respectable workshop instead of cramming poo poo into a mud hut. I have some questions on using big boy tools.

What's an optimal ore grinding setup? I have been smelting with the Tinker's Construct smeltery, which already has a 2x yield. I am close to having enough stuff to set up a respectable clear glass dumping rig with a second smeltery, but I could just get started now if I tore down my current one and merged it into the new parts I have. I am hearing things about different things that provide little bonuses and crap when grinding down ores, and it looks like nether ores are best serviced by grinding them down, so now I am looking into it with some seriousness.

How do I plan out a biofuel setup for powering a bunch of stuff going on underground? I have been setting up farming mostly to get the seeds for making magic crops, so I have a bunch of wheat left over. Right now, every harvest I can safely got a full 64 bales of hay (9 x 64 wheat) from what I have. What kind of stuff can I drive with that? I also have 8 heat pumps that give me a little help charging my power suits right now which I can throw into the mix.

I saw everybody going on about the AE storage. How should I do a mid-game setup? I am looking at something I know I'll want to move again, and I am getting fed up building more chests for random stuff. I'm also looking looking at something like mining out 500,000+ blocks from under the dome area where I want to setup all the workshops and such, so I need something better than, say, 300 chests. I was tempted to just get the basics set up next to each other and consolidate my current setup.

• Locked thread