Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
Had a funny issue where some guy kept accidentally paging the whole office when trying to log out of a queue on our phone system. Didn't even know we had a page-all-extensions number set up. Tested a bunch of possible errors in entering the logoff string for the queue to confirm this was happening, before I dug around in freepbx to find out what extension it was that was paging the whole office, and of course I found the number and called the whole office in the middle of the day. :downs:. I changed the page-all extension to something long and weird that nobody will guess because now that management knows about it they want to use it for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
There are quite a few things you can do with a compromised PBX. You can use it as a relay to make expensive long distance calls. You can use it to take part in a denial of service attack on someone else's phone lines.

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

Had a laptop come in a bit ago that had a very obvious foot print on it, were talking a perfect high heel shoe imprint right on the top (and in the broken LCD as well). The user claimed that it broke in the overhead compartment on a flight, and its not worth the fight since she's a V.P. but its always funny when people just wont give you the real story.

TheLordOfKraa fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 14, 2014

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Jeoh posted:

Couldn't you use it to place calls to (your own) expensive phone numbers and rake in the cash that way?

We had exactly this happen once a few years ago. I believe I posted about it back then. Someone got into our system and made a bunch of calls to some numbers in Africa I believe that were pay-per-minute numbers or something. They racked up like $40,000 in charges before our provider stopped it. Then we had to fight with out provider to not have to pay the charges. They said since our server wasn't secure it was our fault even though they stopped the calls and alerted us because they knew it was a scam. We had to threaten lawyers and switching service for them to finally see the error in their ways.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

TheLordOfKraa posted:

The user claimed that it broke in the overhead compartment on a fight

I had to look at that three times to make sure it was a typo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A ticket came in: Yeah, you're working in Wales this Valentines weekend Dog, good luck!

Why good luck you say? Go google UK weather right now. Check what places are hit the worst. I'll be in one of them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Haha, have fun with that.

A ticket came in: I dont have to work tonight and tomorrow. Customer isn't replying to our phone calls to arrange access to the site. Still billing them overtime because they kept us waiting to 6:30 pm on a friday.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

dogstile posted:

A ticket came in: Yeah, you're working in Wales this Valentines weekend Dog, good luck!

Why good luck you say? Go google UK weather right now. Check what places are hit the worst. I'll be in one of them.

Reminds me of the following bad joke:

"How do you get two giraffes in an (insert small car of your choice here)? Open the sunroof.

How do you get two elephants in a (car as above)? The only problem is trunk space...

How do you get two whales in a (car)? Along the M4 and across the Severn Bridge."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

waffle iron posted:

Are you in the US? Because just about every phone system uses 9. Probably because 0 in the US system is a collect call.

0 is a call to the operator. You can set up a collect call from there by using automated menus, but just dialing starting with 0 will not start a collect call on most phone providers. You especially couldn't dial 0+number to get an automatic collect call when office phone systems started shipping with 9 as the default.

9 is the number because the first popular PBX-type systems that had automated in-premises routing had 9 as the default outside line prefix for absolutely no known reason. And then people never bothered to change it off the default. And of course, 911 wasn't chosen as the official emergency number until 1968, so they wouldn't thought of a conflict with it (and hell it took until 1960 for all US area codes to support direct dialing to another area code, without contacting a long distance operator). To top it off, sticking with 9 even with the potential to accidentally dial 911 wasn't a problem in most areas because 911 service was rather spotty until the late 80s.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Two of our higher-ups went to a meeting recently and saw someone using a netbook, so now they both want to outright replace their laptops with netbooks.

Did the market for 10" netbooks just vanish recently or what? All I want is a 10" netbook or smaller that runs windows and has an SSD, but I can't find anything. She's very adamant about it fitting into her purse, so I don't really want to start looking at 13" laptops or ultrabooks.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

Two of our higher-ups went to a meeting recently and saw someone using a netbook, so now they both want to outright replace their laptops with netbooks.

Did the market for 10" netbooks just vanish recently or what? All I want is a 10" netbook or smaller that runs windows and has an SSD, but I can't find anything. She's very adamant about it fitting into her purse, so I don't really want to start looking at 13" laptops or ultrabooks.

Surface Pro 2?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
The last 10 inch netbook I remember seeing even remotely recently was the Acer aspire one. The problem with netbooks is that tablets have completely destroyed the market for them. So you can try to get her a Surface Pro I guess? The only netbooks I see that you can still buy new have the shittiest processors imaginable, which I doubt anyone would be happy with.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Lenovo had an 11 inch "don't call it a netbook" machine that seemed to be ok. I bought some for salesmen at my last job about a year and a half ago. They liked them a lot. So : it still exists, but lots of things are better served by tablets/convertibles now.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah the Surface is smaller than I had thought. I guess the demand for tiny laptops was replaced by tablet hybrid PCs once Windows 8 came out.

edit: thanks for the suggestions.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wa27 posted:

There are plenty of 11 or 12 inch netbooks/plain old laptops out there, but if the thing specifically needs to be 10 inches they're probably out of luck.

The "11 inch" ones do start out as 10.6 inch actual diagonal though.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

We bought a few Asus Transformer T100s for work, and they actually seem decent. Atom and 2Gb RAM, so you don't get that much performance, but for our "on the road presentation/show off our web page" usage they're quite nice.

They're 10", 768p (I think?) convertible tablets, and cost the local equivalent of $400 - and come with an Office license.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

11" macbook air is the only sub-13" laptop I know of that isn't a complete piece of crap, and even then it's really only good as a citrix client and web browser.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

wa27 posted:

Yeah the Surface is smaller than I had thought. I guess the demand for tiny laptops was replaced by tablet hybrid PCs once Windows 8 came out.

edit: thanks for the suggestions.

Just so I can double post: I've got a Surface Pro 2 too, and it's very nice if you can live with some applications (like Chrome :argh: even with the experimental hiDPI flag yes) not working very well with a high DPI screen.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

11" macbook air is the only sub-13" laptop I know of that isn't a complete piece of crap, and even then it's really only good as a citrix client and web browser.
It does a pretty great job running Windows 7 and 8.1 though. We had a client with a few users that couldn't use Macs with their software config (the client was all-Mac, on 13" Airs) so we threw Win 7 Pro on there so the hardware warranties/refresh cycle stayed the same.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
"Need acces to all the things, word isn't working and not walking to nearest networked printer so need my own."

This is a teacher's aide. I told her no, showed her the shortcut for Word and no. Then, moonwalked out as I closed the ticket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:slick:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Just asked my CDW guy to price match Logitechs' ~$5 cheaper MSRP on a new mouse for myself...

instead...

FREE SH*T!!!

drukqs fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 15, 2014

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

drukqs posted:

Just asked my CDW guy to price match Logitechs' ~$5 cheaper MSRP on a new mouse for myself...

instead...

FREE SH*T!!!

You missed a few names in the image.

Congrats on the free poo poo!

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Hiyoshi posted:

You missed a few names in the image.

Congrats on the free poo poo!

DAMNIT

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Oh man...I'm really starting to loathe one of the guys who left our MSP around a year ago, and whose place I've taken over.

One of the clients I've got has an application installed on their server called SQAD. It's used by 5 people at said client, they're an advertising firm and so we basically loaded the app on the server, created a network drive that mapped to the program's install folder, then created a shortcut so they don't have anything loaded locally on the PC. Apparently, the app is supposed to be updated monthly so that it has all the features and current knowledgebase info available, not unusual for a lot of programs.

I check through our documentation, no prior tickets logged for these updates. Hm..that's rather odd...and the information we DO have is way outdated, has old server/install locations for the program, and a bunch of other outdated information (including a login to the update website that's no longer valid, so I can't log in to download patches). Called the support line, thankfully the client has a direct support tech they've talked to for help to install updates in the past.

Call the guy up, give him my info, we get everything in order and check the client's account. Updates haven't been run for this SQAD application since March 2012. :psyduck: I give the tech my info, get set up with a login, talk to the client and they want all patches from this month going back to January 2013. Thankfully it didn't take too long, a little over an hour to download and install everything since the patches aren't cumulative and there's no way to bulk download and install them. Client is happy, documentation is updated and complete now, login info is in the system and my partner has it as well in case I'm out for any reason and he needs to run updates.

Funny thing is, it's not the first time this has happened with this particular former engineer for the company, other engineers have run into problems with documentation, tickets not put in for work done, changes made that nobody was made aware of, all sorts of retarded poo poo. I seriously want to find the guy and break his knees, mob style...people like him should NEVER work in the IT field.

Farking Bastage posted:

lovely MSP story

This is from a ways back but in all fairness, not all MSPs are like this - the one you work (or worked) for was run by a bunch of goddamn idiots and pushovers. The problem is nobody had a backbone enough to say "gently caress it, you don't want to take our recommendations, you're not going to be our client. Peace." I know MSPs care about making money, but there comes a point when a compromise needs to be made and people need to know a lovely situation (from a potentially lovely cheapskate client) when they see one. The MSP I work for is great, has a shitload of rules in place and standards that clients have to adhere to, and it all came about when we drat near got our asses sued after someone decommissioned a server from a medical client, didn't wipe or pull the drives, sold it on eBay, and someone bought it and alerted said medical client that their information (including patient data) was on the drives. Stupid mistake, engineer that did it was fired, the guy who bought the server was honest about it, data was recovered then destroyed, new policies and rules put in place, no problems since. And we have zero problems telling someone to gently caress off if they don't want to play by the rules, especially if we recommend something, they turn it down, then try to hold their tech/engineer responsible. We've even got policies in place that say what type of hardware/software they need, including servers, switches, firewalls, access points, you name it.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 15, 2014

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
So this was fun, a few weeks ago, a tech puts a 'deny any' rule at the end of the ACL for a load balancer. To ensure it's the last line of the ACL, it's added at line 65535 via the command line.

Later, another tech adds another entry in the ACL via the GUI. When a line is added by the GUI, it handles the list by moving all the ones below it down one.

Guess what happens to the 'deny any' line at 65535 when you move it down by one!

:shepicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NZAmoeba posted:

So this was fun, a few weeks ago, a tech puts a 'deny any' rule at the end of the ACL for a load balancer. To ensure it's the last line of the ACL, it's added at line 65535 via the command line.

Later, another tech adds another entry in the ACL via the GUI. When a line is added by the GUI, it handles the list by moving all the ones below it down one.

Guess what happens to the 'deny any' line at 65535 when you move it down by one!

Aren't ACLs implicitly "Deny All" if none of the conditions get met?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Inspector_666 posted:

Aren't ACLs implicitly "Deny All" if none of the conditions get met?

On Cisco ACLs, yes. But if you want to log hits on that rule (some people do), you have to add it anyway so you can tag it at the end with 'log'.

What kind of load balancer was this, NZAmoeba? I want to make sure we don't do this if it's one we use.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
F5, not exactly sure what model.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dogstile posted:

Sup fellow resident of Wales :v:

Not been too bad where I am, lost power a couple of time last week, and tonight has had a couple of dropouts just long enough to flicker the lights but nothing major, though our home PCs, router and cordless phones are on UPSes.

The crosswinds are somewhat sketchy on the motorways, even before you get near the bridge, means everyone is driving in terrified panic mode.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

NZAmoeba posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA no it wasn't me but I was responsible for cleaning up the All Services tickets from this.

Sorry bro :(

e: well, a bunch of them anyway. There were, like, 400.

e: and it was a BigIP 3600 I think.

e: and if it makes you feel any better it ruined my last day in Support. I'm moving to another team after I get back from vacation next week.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 15, 2014

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Lum posted:

Sup fellow resident of Wales :v:

Not been too bad where I am, lost power a couple of time last week, and tonight has had a couple of dropouts just long enough to flicker the lights but nothing major, though our home PCs, router and cordless phones are on UPSes.

The crosswinds are somewhat sketchy on the motorways, even before you get near the bridge, means everyone is driving in terrified panic mode.

I'm amazed the bridge is still open to be honest!

For the benefit of the American audience, the Severn bridge is not the only way into Wales but if you're coming from the south it's certainly the quickest.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rolleyes posted:

I'm amazed the bridge is still open to be honest!

For the benefit of the American audience, the Severn bridge is not the only way into Wales but if you're coming from the south it's certainly the quickest.

For further benefit of the American audience: the main difference between the Severn Bridge and the gates of Mordor is that Sauron didn't charge £4.99 to enter.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

spog posted:

For further benefit of the American audience: the main difference between the Severn Bridge and the gates of Mordor is that Sauron didn't charge £4.99 to enter.

Do they really charge 4.99 instead of an even 5 on a toll? That seems really weird.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

demonachizer posted:

Do they really charge 4.99 instead of an even 5 on a toll? That seems really weird.

http://www.severnbridge.co.uk/toll_prices.shtml

Nah, it's actually £6.40 for a normal car

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
It's also notable that you only get charged to enter Wales - leaving is free! :v:

Domnu
Jan 14, 2006

rolleyes posted:

It's also notable that you only get charged to enter Wales - leaving is free! :v:

That's like the Staten Island ferry in New York, just reversed. Free to enter, pay to leave.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

rolleyes posted:

That's because anyone entering Wales will feel compelled to spend all their money on the local culture1, entertainment2 and business opportunities3 and so have nothing left for the tolls.

1 None
2 None
3 None

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Depends what you class as entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Depends what you class as entertainment.

Are you going to make that 'what do you call a sheep tied to a lampost in Swansea?' joke?

• Locked thread