Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Sir Kodiak posted:

Do the Dinobots ever look like actual dinosaurs, or is it always a transformation between obviously-robotic dinosaur and obviously-robotic humanoid?

Bay's movies rarely look too carefully at transformer toy past and as usual the bayverse dinobots are doing a bunch of their own things rather than recycling ideas fom twenty or more years ago.

Most iterations of the dinobts are nostalgia grabs and stay pretty close to the originals which were pretty much just robot dinosaurs (animated was the most fun version of this, liu he had a steam shovel jaw). Comics and wfc are kind of more... realistic, but the designs still try to evoke the toys that were released in 1984.

Whereas the movie has its own style, its own dinosaurs (team is mostly carnivores) and its own "realism" (two heads. horns. fins on cheeks).
I don't know, the tenuous connections to the old franchise are kind of the least interesting part of the movies to me and I'm sure I know too much about that anyway. I'm looking forward to terry's thoughts more than the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rita Repulsa posted:

I'm looking forward to terry's thoughts more than the movie.

You're the kind of person that will watch the rifftrax version of a movie instead of the original, aren't you.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've never watched a rifftrax, but I find myself more often watching reviews than shows
They're easier to multitask to and I have a hard time picking up subtle or interesting details that they can pick out.
Especially since I don't have time to sit and really really focus on a movie for two hours.
So I guess... kinda? Sometimes I like analysis better than the fiction, especially with the transformers films which are so loud and obnoxious that it's hard to stay tuned in. I guess I fins the ideas behind the analysis interesting, but i do not have fun wtching the films.
Especially since I often end up seeing them with my christain conservative parents. It's hard to find anything that doesn't offend them so the transformer movies are a safe choice. They unironically believe live action prime to be a hero.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Armyman25 posted:

The Dinobots have always been stupid, arrogant, immensely powerful, and loving hilarious. I hope we get something similar to this in the next movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdNz2fMOYng

Also, note that Grimlock thinks of himself as the boss. This could cause conflict with Optimus Prime over who is the leader of the Autobots.

I hope we get a scene like this in the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aTbHsZJ9g

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rita Repulsa posted:

Bay's movies rarely look too carefully at transformer toy past and as usual the bayverse dinobots are doing a bunch of their own things rather than recycling ideas fom twenty or more years ago.

Megatron sat on the Lincoln Memorial, anything from the old toys and show could happen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Well, if that did not make me more excited (other than Optimus-on-Grimlock and gun-face) I don't know what will.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Ever since I heard the title of the movie, I've wondered if it's referring to the Cybertronian race.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I just had someone quote these threads to me in an actual conversation and the excerpt they quoted to me mentioned me directly.

Terry, we've done good things. Very good things.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

We get a clearer look at the new character designs.

Lockdown aka Gun-Face

Drift :nyoron:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Literally Tokyo Drift :thejoke:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

api call girl posted:

Literally Tokyo Drift :thejoke:

Yet he is a Bugatti. Transformers transcends the boundaries of human culture.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Decepticon with a naked face, Autobot with a mask.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's some interesting Hasbro slides from Toyfair 2014:

I find that description of Age of Extinction's premise very amusing in light of this thread.

Hasbro thinks only boys play with their robots. They also seem to exclude most teenagers from their target demographic entirely, but this does fit a recent report that states toy sales have fallen due to the popularity of video games. And apparently, they think anybody who buys toys of characters not from the cartoon or movies (the Generations line) are automatically adults.

edit:
In case you think Drift is the only anime robot this year.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 15, 2014

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
"It's About a Truck That Needs a Friend to Save the World" is a hot contender for a thread title if I ever I saw one.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

The MSJ posted:

Kind of ironically, windblade is a character made by Hasbro putting up a poll to make a new transformer, with options for names, weapons, altmodes, color schemes... and gender.

So Transformers are a boys only line that shouldn't have female characters because they don't sell and "why should robots have gender, let's just make them all genderlessmale" and all that, and the moment they put up a poll for what buyers want in a new character they all vote "female"

Windblade's going in the IDW continuity, where a previous writer made gendered transformers impossible in an incredibly offensive storyline they've been reluctant to touch.
So to put her in they have to redact that and they're introducing more female transformers along with her - and handing her spotlight to an all-women team of writers and illustrators to make sure it will be handled right this time.

Resulted in kind of a funny moment in the comic where one group of autobots meet two female transformers. Ratchet only notices they're women because they use "her" and "she" as pronouns, and then decides they have other things to worry about and to ask about that later.

oh yeah, the movie.
Kind of odd that the movies are pretty much the crassest and most violent of the Transformers properties with any depth only noticable by older viewers who can see things in context and yet all the toys they've shown are aimed at the youngest of audiences, touting one-step transformation.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 15, 2014

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

"It's About a Truck That Needs a Friend to Save the World" is a hot contender for a thread title if I ever I saw one.

Contender? There's no other choice as far as I'm concerned.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Boys 18+

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They tried to find the raddest looking dude they could find. They should've just cut to the chase and said "Boys 25+".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They tried to find the raddest looking dude they could find. They should've just cut to the chase and said "Boys 25+".

That would certainly fit the age group that would wear an "84" t-shirt.

Here's the face of Hound:

The toys have also confirmed that the Freightliner truck is Galvatron, the silver robot in the Superbowl trailer.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Rita Repulsa posted:

Kind of ironically, windblade is a character made by Hasbro putting up a poll to make a new transformer, with options for names, weapons, altmodes, color schemes... and gender.

So Transformers are a boys only line that shouldn't have female characters because they don't sell and "why should robots have gender, let's just make them all genderlessmale" and all that, and the moment they put up a poll for what buyers want in a new character they all vote "female"

Wasn't Prime Arcee really well received?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Milky Moor posted:

Wasn't Prime Arcee really well received?
Yes, but that was kind of separate from Simon Furman's attempt to bury all "female" Transformers ever. Dude's got issues, I think.

Hound looks pretty hardcore, if his toy is any indication. He's got a, uh, shitload of guns and stuff.

Three sets of pistols, a triple-minigun, and a knife. :hellyeah:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

Yes, but that was kind of separate from Simon Furman's attempt to bury all "female" Transformers ever. Dude's got issues, I think.

Hound looks pretty hardcore, if his toy is any indication. He's got a, uh, shitload of guns and stuff.

Three sets of pistols, a triple-minigun, and a knife. :hellyeah:

It's like if Rob Liefeld designed a Transformers character. What does he transform into, a gun?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Corek posted:

It's like if Rob Liefeld designed a Transformers character. What does he transform into, a gun?
This thing:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Corek posted:

I wouldn't doubt if whoever designed him played a poo poo-ton of Gears of War because all of his weapons look really close to weapons from the franchise.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The MSJ posted:

edit:

Well now that's a nice Jetfire.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Well now that's a nice Jetfire.

Naw man, that's Skyfire.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
...a bullet cigar. That is loving beautiful :golfclap:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

The MSJ posted:

The toys have also confirmed that the Freightliner truck is Galvatron, the silver robot in the Superbowl trailer.

Looks like they're referencing The Steel Helmet. Nice!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The MSJ posted:

He looks like that bearded PMC from Iraq or Afghanistan.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I eagerly await to see Bonecrusher, Blackout and Long Haul resurrecting themselves from the void of mooks before getting beheaded by Optimus...for the 4th time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SirDrone posted:

I eagerly await to see Bonecrusher, Blackout and Long Haul resurrecting themselves from the void of mooks before getting beheaded by Optimus...for the 4th time.

I know its probably been said ad nauseum in this thread, but it really does kind of blow your mind when you go back and watch these movies and you get to the moment where Optimus says "give me your face"(I think to Sentinel). Does anybody think the line was intentionally kind of garbled and difficult to hear? Its so easy to miss the line completely the first time because you're focused on the action.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Decepticon with a naked face, Autobot with a mask.

"Autobot with a mask" is indeed interesting because the character bio on the toy packaging reveals that Drift used to be a Decepticon. He's obscuring his true nature, like the rest of the Autobots.

Lockdown's naked face is much more meaningful because his face transforms into a weapon in the trailer. He knows that he is a mechanical being, and a weapon on top of that.

Armyman25 posted:

It's also a reference to Kup from the Transformers comics, but I can't deny that comparison either.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Just noticed his helmet says "A-3" short for Alpha Trion, the "grandfather" of the Autobots.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Alpha_Trion_%28G1%29

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Armyman25 posted:

I don't think every beard and cigar is reference to an obscure war film.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sire Oblivion posted:

Beard and cigar and helmet :pseudo:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

Steven Spielberg named the character of Short Round in Temple of Doom after a similar character in The Steel Helmet. Sam Fuller's films are a little obscure, but def well known in the movie industry.

Seriously though, Sgt. Zack is like the Ur-hardnosed soldier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db5kkXCrWg8

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Armyman25 posted:

Steven Spielberg named the character of Short Round in Temple of Doom after a similar character in The Steel Helmet. Sam Fuller's films are a little obscure, but def well known in the movie industry.

Seriously though, Sgt. Zack is like the Ur-hardnosed soldier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db5kkXCrWg8
They're not all that obscure. The Big Red One is a well-known classic in which you get to see Mark Hamill stretch a condom over his gun. Merrill's Marauders is a pretty great film too.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Oh, I know, I've seen a bunch of his films. Gene Evans plays basically the same character in Fixed Bayonets though it's a little broader. And I was surprised to see Lee Van Cleef playing a North Vietnamese in China Gate.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Humans with alien weaponry? Why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008
Too bad Megatron's form has already been confirmed by the toys. It'd be cool if Mark Wahlberg ran around with Megatron as a talking gun for half the movie.