Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
It looks like this arc is wrapping up. I hope we get into more politics and what will happen when the Crusty Princess romance inevidibly develops. The worst thing that could happen is a mysterious shadowy evil emerges and they have to go fight it. Keep the emphasis on the social/political!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
drat that was a good episode. It definitely seems like a new arc is about to start, but they haven't really hinted at it yet.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ArchangeI posted:

Reshaping reality with the power of friendship contract law!

Make a contract with Kyubey Shiroe and become a Magical Girl an Adventurer.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
So this episode of course has a huge number of implications, but instead of spinning on something I feel like wont ever be re-visited in the anime specifically, I'd like to instead note how "Adventurer" is just a full-on subclass instead of some kind of base status in this instance. Does that mean there are additional unlockable benefits to the State Of Existing As An Adventurer that nobody else has yet? Or is it really just something that occured for circumstance?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Emalde posted:

So this episode of course has a huge number of implications, but instead of spinning on something I feel like wont ever be re-visited in the anime specifically, I'd like to instead note how "Adventurer" is just a full-on subclass instead of some kind of base status in this instance. Does that mean there are additional unlockable benefits to the State Of Existing As An Adventurer that nobody else has yet? Or is it really just something that occured for circumstance?

Yeah, that is something I just noticed on rewatching the episode just now. It being the case that POTL can be given Adventurer status as a sub-class, I think that this precludes the chance for POTL to infinitely spread Adventurer status among themselves unless there is already at least one POTL who is a level 90 scribe (not likely). So in other words, it confers a potential power-relationship that can be exploited by adventurers; only Adventurers are free to take the subclass "Scribe" and thereby grant POTL the subclass of Adventurers.

Although I guess it'd work if a POTL who didn't already have a class was contracted by Shiro. Then he'd probably gain "Adventurer" as his main class, and then be able to take on "Scribe" as a subclass. I dunno about this, though, without knowing more about how the class system works.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Evil Thing posted:

New episode.

Sure is Alucard in here.

I'd be interested to know if those crafting components Shiroe used are finite. The possibility of giving any PotL unlimited respawns (if not necessarily immortality) sounds like it would make scribes very, very important.

They are probably rare and difficult to obtain even if they are infinitely obtainable. It is unlikely that any guild would dedicate their efforts to getting those exclusively. Shiroe used to join a bunch of other groups for raids and such, since enchanters are rare but are in demand for larger groups. Some crafting materials are monster drops, he used to fight endgame monsters a lot, so the obvious conclusion is that he was using that sort of ingredients. So, a guild would need to do a bunch of raids toward the goal of creating a single <30 adventurer who could never learn a real subclass. Some of those raids might even be recurring events like the goblin king, thus limiting the farming speed even further.

I wasn't expecting it to be included, but it looks like the next book might be part of this season. Which is nice, because it would be a terrible way to start a new season and the anime has kept everything in order thus far. The events of this episode would have been a good way to end the season, but the end of the next book would be much better.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Ok, I now definitely think that Sage guy is orchestrating things. That look he gave when the contract was signed was just not right.

veekie posted:

Make a contract with Kyubey Shiroe and become a Magical Girl an Adventurer.

Someone better make fanart of this.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 15, 2014

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Serious Frolicking posted:

They are probably rare and difficult to obtain even if they are infinitely obtainable. It is unlikely that any guild would dedicate their efforts to getting those exclusively. Shiroe used to join a bunch of other groups for raids and such, since enchanters are rare but are in demand for larger groups. Some crafting materials are monster drops, he used to fight endgame monsters a lot, so the obvious conclusion is that he was using that sort of ingredients. So, a guild would need to do a bunch of raids toward the goal of creating a single <30 adventurer who could never learn a real subclass. Some of those raids might even be recurring events like the goblin king, thus limiting the farming speed even further.

I wasn't expecting it to be included, but it looks like the next book might be part of this season. Which is nice, because it would be a terrible way to start a new season and the anime has kept everything in order thus far. The events of this episode would have been a good way to end the season, but the end of the next book would be much better.

I haven't read the books, but since I played the Enchanter in EQ, I can agree that there isn't much you need when you can buff your intellegence and you get mana regen by yourself. So I got really expensive drops from camps and sometimes taking silly equipment that any class would kill for but because I was there and not the class I would get items that made no sense for an Enchanter to have. Again, I love the main character is an Enchanter. If this was like any other show based on an MMOG, it would be some melee person with "GUTS" or something like Lina from Slayers.

If the PotL find out from a leak this kind of ability exist, I would imagine entire kingdoms offering massive rewards for adventurers to get those items and it would get to the point it is just too juicy not to take

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Bremen posted:

Ok, I now definitely think that Sage guy is orchestrating things. That look he gave when the contract was signed was just not right.

Someone better make fanart of this.

I dunno, I guess he could be like Heathcliff/Kayaba from SAO, but I think he might just genuinely be a POTL/NPC with an advanced enough background, thanks to the games designers, that he has the inside scoop on a lot of things. I think seeing world-level magic being cast probably just piqued his interests.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

How many episodes are left, 4?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArchangeI posted:

How many episodes are left, 4?

Six left. So we have room for one or two more small plot arcs.

Great episode, though I'm probably more excited about the Shiroe/Akatsuki focused episode next week.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also, Who the gently caress picks Scribe in an MMO.

Outside of now, it appeared to be a totally worthless job.

I wouldn't be surprised if the subset of Scribes who have experience and scribe loot from high level raids is small. He probably has a ton of random rear end mats as he was the only one who could use Epic Paper and Ink.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bremen posted:

I don't think he's orchestrating things, but I do think he told Shiroe all that because he knew something interesting would come of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dexo posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the subset of Scribes who have experience and scribe loot from high level raids is small. He probably has a ton of random rear end mats as he was the only one who could use Epic Paper and Ink.

If it lets you create things like EVE contracts, place bounties, merge guilds/alliances, or whatever then it might be quite useful on a macro level, which fits with Shiroe's playstyle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dexo posted:

Well, if nothing else there are bound to be quests that require player-crafted items. So, any crafting class has some utility.

EVIR Gibson posted:

I haven't read the books, but since I played the Enchanter in EQ, I can agree that there isn't much you need when you can buff your intellegence and you get mana regen by yourself. So I got really expensive drops from camps and sometimes taking silly equipment that any class would kill for but because I was there and not the class I would get items that made no sense for an Enchanter to have. Again, I love the main character is an Enchanter. If this was like any other show based on an MMOG, it would be some melee person with "GUTS" or something like Lina from Slayers.

If the PotL find out from a leak this kind of ability exist, I would imagine entire kingdoms offering massive rewards for adventurers to get those items and it would get to the point it is just too juicy not to take

Enchanters are useful for raids because they can manage group mp. Solo, they are piss-weak in this setting.

See, the thing is that aside from the potential to raise levels, a ruler who became an adventurer would be unkillable and as far as anyone knows at the moment, unaging. The prospect of immortality for a select few is the sort of thing that topples civilizations. People would be carrying out assassinations and starting wars left and right in order to acquire the wealth and influence necessary to get one of those contracts. When the dust settled, there would be a much smaller potl population with a few newly-minted adventurers on top.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 15, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I would think the remaining episodes will try to cover something about what actually happened with the world/at The Apocalypse. It would at least be something to wrap up with, considering most other kinds of topics have been covered?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The ability to create magically binding contracts is a pretty big deal, especially for someone like Shiroe. I look forward to contract shenanigans in the future. :getin:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I do hope that this show gets a second season. It'd be a painful let-down if 26 episodes was all that we ever got!

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I do hope that this show gets a second season. It'd be a painful let-down if 26 episodes was all that we ever got!

It's been pretty steady in adapting a volume about every five episodes, but... There's only one seven volumes out right now. If we see a continuation, it probably won't be for a very long time, although they could theoretically fit two volumes into one season if they slowed the pace a bit.

But regardless, yeah, Log Horizon is amazing and is far and away my favorite show in quite some time.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Dexo posted:

Scribe sounds like it would be pretty powerful in a world based on D&D rules. If people learned new magic from consumable scrolls and if consumable scrolls also gave you a way to circumvent casting requirements/limits then being a scribe would be good for making money and it would give you an edge in combat.

But in a world where magic is balanced by cooldown and people learn spells through leveling it's pretty weak.

Maid/Cleaner is probably the most worthless job though. For starters who the hell plays an MMO so they can do digital versions of household chores and secondly what advantages are there for high-level maids?
"I am the Master of the dancing brush, Wielder of the spotless cloth, Bringer of immaculate kitchens... and before this day is done I will see this house squeaky clean!".
Actually... being MMO Mary Poppins could work.

Bremen posted:

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, but I think there's about a 95% chance he turns out to be evil.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Adelheid posted:

It's been pretty steady in adapting a volume about every five episodes, but... There's only one seven volumes out right now. If we see a continuation, it probably won't be for a very long time, although they could theoretically fit two volumes into one season if they slowed the pace a bit.

But regardless, yeah, Log Horizon is amazing and is far and away my favorite show in quite some time.

Wow, that fast? I had no idea about the pacing versus the number of volumes. Gee, that probably does mean that it'll be much more than a year till the next season. :smith:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Adelheid posted:

You have a funny idea of "very long time".

Light novel publishing pace is usually 1 volume every 3-6 months, with monsters like Nishio releasing Katanagatari at a rate of 1 book per month. Looking at how Log Horizon was published, it seems the first five books all came out in 2011. I've no idea if much of that was pre-published as a web novel or whatever (if at all), but even at the more recent rate of two novels per year, we'd have enough material for a second season by 2015.

This isn't George R.R. Martin we're talking about.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
If there are 7 volumes, and 5 of them all came out three years ago, doesn't that mean they're coming out fairly slowly now?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Elite posted:

Maid/Cleaner is probably the most worthless job though. For starters who the hell plays an MMO so they can do digital versions of household chores and secondly what advantages are there for high-level maids?
"I am the Master of the dancing brush, Wielder of the spotless cloth, Bringer of immaculate kitchens... and before this day is done I will see this house squeaky clean!".

Finding change in the couch cushions. Higher levels have a better chance of finding a nice piece of candy without too much dirt or hair on it. Also make all those dust bunnies into living dust bunnies.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Blhue posted:

If there are 7 volumes, and 5 of them all came out three years ago, doesn't that mean they're coming out fairly slowly now?

The books have come out:
v1 March 2011
v2 May 2011
v3 August 2011
v4 September 2011
v5 November 2011
v6 March 2013
v7 December 2013

The author has also been parallel-releasing a bunch of Maoyuu+gaiden books/manga/anime, but if that thing is over-ish now, maybe Log Horizon will get more writing attention. Three of the Maoyuu novels came out in 2012, and he might've been involved with the anime production, which would account for the 2012 gap for Log Horizon.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Enchanters are useful for raids because they can manage group mp. Solo, they are piss-weak in this setting.

Actually, this is very accurate in Everquest and why I like the show even more. Soloing as an enchanter is usually related to charming something large, killing things until the charmed monster is about to die and then use your weak rear end DPS to kill it for another exp kill. Enchanters are brought into groups and raids because they make EVERYTHING better. Melee, magic; whatever. I had things to help out every nuance of the group.

I just remember acting like the main character on bad pulls. I had timers running in my head and could predict when my crowd control would be fading (when EQ didn't have timers on spells).

"Mez on this creature is going to last for 20 seconds and if I put Glamour on this high level mob, it's going to break in 14 seconds but if I slow it's attack and then mem blur it so the tank can get aggro back easily it should be no problem and whatever they are killing now should be dead in 10 seconds... if not..."

It actually hurt my head when going deep in dungeons because I was more aware of the surroundings then anyone else who were focused on killing things as fast as possible. Had to keep tons of timers in my head and I've surprised many warriors when they think I am not doing anything but can't complain when they turn around and see 3 monsters drooling at him with me already saying to hit the one on the left first because it would be breaking soon"

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Elite posted:

Actually... being MMO Mary Poppins could work.

Maids(actually Housekeeper) get the following benefits:
-Reduce zone upkeep with cleaning. For big expensive zones like guildhalls, a maid dramatically cuts upkeep costs, just by cleaning.
-Maids get a reduced(1/2 or 1/3 ratio I think?) level version of many other production subclass abilities. They can brew, cook, sew, repair, gather plant materials, gather animal materials, etc. This, when you think it through, has a lot of possible interactions with the new cooking method. However good a cook Nyanta is, he'd simply not be able to create a sauce which manages to count as a Brewing action, though he might be able to improvise liquid food similar enough to finish his major dish off. Serara would be able to do all of these, but not be able to create level 90 dishes. It's a useful way to cross apply crafts.
-Maids have no entry requirements.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

veekie posted:

-Reduce zone upkeep with cleaning. For big expensive zones like guildhalls, a maid dramatically cuts upkeep costs, just by cleaning.
-Maids get a reduced(1/2 or 1/3 ratio I think?) level version of many other production subclass abilities. They can brew, cook, sew, repair, gather plant materials, gather animal materials, etc. This, when you think it through, has a lot of possible interactions with the new cooking method. However good a cook Nyanta is, he'd simply not be able to create a sauce which manages to count as a Brewing action, though he might be able to improvise liquid food similar enough to finish his major dish off. Serara would be able to do all of these, but not be able to create level 90 dishes. It's a useful way to cross apply crafts.

Maid is one of those subjobs that have a spread of skills as opposed to hyper-focused production classes. The big guilds won't really have an issue because they have enough members for everything to be covered but a smaller guild like the Crescent Moon Alliance and Log Horizon benefit from these hybrid subjobs.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

Reshaping reality with the power of friendship contract law!

Somewhere, a libertarian begins furiously writing his fanfic for this setting.

Maybe the only issue I have is it comes across as a bit deus ex machina because Shiro just so happens to have everything he needs to pull off a miracle that has never been done before, but not too badly; at least it's led up to by other related innovations like the cooking and the inventing, so it's not completely out of the blue.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

Maybe the only issue I have is it comes across as a bit deus ex machina because Shiro just so happens to have everything he needs to pull off a miracle that has never been done before, but not too badly; at least it's led up to by other related innovations like the cooking and the inventing, so it's not completely out of the blue.

That's like saying Nyanta discovering that food could be cooked is a deus-ex-machina. The contract was an experiment based on the discovery that Adventurers were no longer bound by the rules of the game and could use their skills in ways that would normally break it. Shiroe was confident that it would work because he was confident in his understanding of the rules of the world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You only lose money when you die, and Shiroe was serving as a diplomat the day before. It isn't odd that he would have high end scribe materials on hand.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mo_Steel posted:

This is an MMO.

In WoW SWTOR and TSW My Bags are generally filled with whatever I pick up until It gets full enough that I have to bank something.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

You only lose money when you die, and Shiroe was serving as a diplomat the day before. It isn't odd that he would have high end scribe materials on hand.

He's been a high level player for years, done raids that plenty of other high level players couldn't even dream of doing, already had his scribe sub-class at level 90 and to boot could probably get other people to give him materials for his experiments. Of course he's going to have high end paper and ink.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I might see more reason to complain if this was yet another situation of Shiroe solving every problem by always being the smartest and cleverest, but this was something that was properly set up and foreshadowed being done by simply one of the more clever people in a wide cast of important, competent people. No it isn't deus ex machina, it's merely awesome.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I'll never get tired of Krusty's murder face.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

KoB posted:

I'll never get tired of Krusty's murder face.

I'll never get tired of Lenessia's oh poo poo I think I'm in love with a murderer face.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Mo_Steel posted:

It's indicated that the ink might have been Shiroe's Plan B if the Round Table didn't work out. Draft a contract to enforce Law over the city. Blackmail them with the guild building access into signing it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Redcrimson posted:

I'll never get tired of Lenessia's oh poo poo I think I'm in love with a murderer face.

A mindreading bloodthirsty berserker's murderer face.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

veekie posted:

So Serara chose the red mage of secondary skills. I was hoping her skill would lead to her finding millions between couch cushions. Oh well, maybe next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Where did you find such detailed subclass specifications, anyway?

• Locked thread