Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Not gonna lie, I got pretty creeped out when Lauren's eyes went from "Psionics!" to "HEEEEEEEERE'S SNARL!"

I wonder if it actually broke her brain...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A planet whose only inhabitant is the Snarl? And maybe whichever souls he claims?

It does look like escaping through the portal would have been a bad idea after all.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The "whatever the gently caress is coming out of that rift" is a lot more smooth and ...orderly compared to what we previously have seen of the Snarl.
Of course, all we have seen was a single claw, from a third party flashback.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Johnny Aztec posted:

The "whatever the gently caress is coming out of that rift" is a lot more smooth and ...orderly compared to what we previously have seen of the Snarl.
Of course, all we have seen was a single claw, from a third party flashback.

In crayon, everything was rough.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I have in my mind the image of two brothers, each building a lego city. But the big brother kept poking the little brother and the little brother started lashing out at him.

Or would the snarl be the big brother? Either way, I'm thinking it just wants to protect its world from interfering outsiders.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tenebrais posted:

I have in my mind the image of two brothers, each building a lego city. But the big brother kept poking the little brother and the little brother started lashing out at him.

Or would the snarl be the big brother? Either way, I'm thinking it just wants to protect its world from interfering outsiders.

I don't know, an Epic? or at the very least high leveled Psion couldn't sense anything alive in the ocean that was right through the portal.

I have a feeling its more camouflage than an actual fully built world.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It is the remnants of the first attempt at making a world. Maybe in it's resting state, it is one? After all, that world never got any sapient life put onto it. Maybe it's inimical to intelligent species? Or close observers in general?

gently caress if I know, but it doesn't seem to mind a huge rift existing above Azure Goblin City, so unless we get a scene change to show that rift also freaking the gently caress out, that's my best guess.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

VanSandman posted:

It is the remnants of the first attempt at making a world. Maybe in it's resting state, it is one? After all, that world never got any sapient life put onto it. Maybe it's inimical to intelligent species? Or close observers in general?

gently caress if I know, but it doesn't seem to mind a huge rift existing above Azure Goblin City, so unless we get a scene change to show that rift also freaking the gently caress out, that's my best guess.

Well, it was made of the fibers of a world being designed.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So any speculation on what Snarl eyes are? Will we see Lauren as a avatar of the abandoned god in a later strip?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
You know, it did always seems a bit weird that no one was much worried about enemies having control of the rifts when it was supposedly super important to seal them with gates. I guess that's finally coming back to bite them in the rear end.

WarpedLichen posted:

So any speculation on what Snarl eyes are? Will we see Lauren as a avatar of the abandoned god in a later strip?

It seems most likely to me that she's dead. Touching a godkilling abomination with your mind is probably unsafe.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty sure it was just being reflected in her eyes. It just looks a bit odd due to the relatively low detail of the strip.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Taciturn Tactician posted:

You know, it did always seems a bit weird that no one was much worried about enemies having control of the rifts when it was supposedly super important to seal them with gates. I guess that's finally coming back to bite them in the rear end.

Yeah, you'd think that if an adventuring party can gate them, Xykon and co would just re-gate the rifts and keep going with their plans, unless it's a "these people knew how to do it and there's literally no evil spellcaster anywhere who could also do it" thing.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

VanSandman posted:

After all, that world never got any sapient life put onto it.

If the flashbacks are anything to go on, yes the first world was inhabited. It had a full world population. The snarl gibbed the Greek gods, then turned on the planet.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, I like the fact that even though the evil adventuring party are all friends, they still gently caress each other over to get what they want.

Well, they may be Evil, but they're still grown-ups. It's not like they're so spiteful as to begrudge someone for behaving exactly like they would.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

Yeah, you'd think that if an adventuring party can gate them, Xykon and co would just re-gate the rifts and keep going with their plans, unless it's a "these people knew how to do it and there's literally no evil spellcaster anywhere who could also do it" thing.

Why would an arrogant Chaotic Evil spellcaster like Xykon trust any other caster to rebuild the gate in a way he could take advantage of?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I know that the big moment was supposed to be the snarl pushing through the portal but the "Oh poo poo!" moment for me in that comic was the casually mentioned line that there aren't any fish in that ocean. I could be the portal screened psionics or it could be that whatever is on the other side is a dead husk and we have been lured into thinking, "Maybe the snarl isn't the real bad guy."

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
No fish in the ocean but wasn't there green (and thus plants) in Redwing's (or whatever his name is's) view of the earth from that previous comic ender? Someone else should go back and check.

edit: Green it is.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 15, 2014

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Random Stranger posted:

I know that the big moment was supposed to be the snarl pushing through the portal but the "Oh poo poo!" moment for me in that comic was the casually mentioned line that there aren't any fish in that ocean. I could be the portal screened psionics or it could be that whatever is on the other side is a dead husk and we have been lured into thinking, "Maybe the snarl isn't the real bad guy."

Deep ocean is pretty sparse of life. The majority of fish life in ocean are in relatively shallow areas. Oceans are pretty big, how far could a high level/epic psion detect things?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Deep ocean is pretty sparse of life. The majority of fish life in ocean are in relatively shallow areas. Oceans are pretty big, how far could a high level/epic psion detect things?

I actually knew that but this is one of those places where the lack of fish is clearly supposed to be significant. It's a long way around for a red herring (hah, fish pun!).

FWIW, the planet was greenish-brown with a huge northern polar ice cap. Right now I'm with the theory that the Snarl is even nastier than we first thought; it's destroyed all animal life on that planet and is looking for more things to eat. Using it as a weapon is pointless because once out then it's all over.

So... I'm also now predicting that Redcloak joins the party as Durkon's replacement after Durkon turns against them! :v:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Random Stranger posted:

So... I'm also now predicting that Redcloak joins the party as Durkon's replacement after Durkon turns against them! :v:

Nope, not gonna happen. He's too far in with Xykon for his betrayal to be anything other than last minute.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007
Is that Orion's Belt in the sky above the ocean? Do DnD settings usually have real-world constellations?

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

magicalblender posted:

Is that Orion's Belt in the sky above the ocean? Do DnD settings usually have real-world constellations?

Hey, you're right! The way the three stars of the belt and the shoulders are placed here, it can't just be a coincidence. Is this just a constellational cameo, or is Rich being devious again?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Nope, not gonna happen. He's too far in with Xykon for his betrayal to be anything other than last minute.

Unless the Snarl obliterates the gently caress out of Gobbotopia out of the rift above Azure City, leading Redcloak into some major self-reflection and re-examination of everything!

Maybe. :I

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

This would be the perfect setup for Rich to end the comic right here.

"The Gods unmade everything to create Earth 3.0, thank you for reading!"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The relative brightnesses of the stars aren't correct for it to be Orion, and the rest of the sky is all wrong, as far as I can tell.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

The relative brightnesses of the stars aren't correct for it to be Orion, and the rest of the sky is all wrong, as far as I can tell.

And the relative positions aren't correct. If it was an intentional hint I'd think the "bow" would also be included to make it definitive. In this case, I suspect it's just some similarities. Besides, we've been explicitly told the world in the rift is not our earth.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheAceOfLungs posted:

it can't just be a coincidence.

Why not?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Oddly enough, it could be a really weird callback to the fact that Earth exists as an alternate plane of reality to Oerth, where Greyhawk takes place. There's also a few other planes mentioned, if I recall right, but Gygax all but said way back when that Earth is a place as far as D&D is concerned.

Edit: Didn't realize we've been told that it's not Earth in the portal, possibly another of said planes though? Either way, I can't wait for all this to come to a halt in 3 comics for his usual book break.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
She said that there's no fish in the water, so clearly it's Earth in about twenty years. :v:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

The fact that the Snarl didn't show itself until someone was peering too deeply into the portal with plans to go in, makes me think that you might very well be correct. It seemed to have opportunities to strike people close to the rift before that point that it didn't take. It doesn't feel like a mindless abomination trying to escape from it's prison. The whole unmaking of creation was what the azure city gods told people but how much do they really know since they fled right after the greek gods were slain? I'm not really sure if you can trust their interpretation of events as being completely accurate, especially since there seems to be an intact world here.

The Snarl's MO might just be: meddling gods just cause problems, so they need to get the hell out and stay out. However that said, it might still be interested in jumping worlds if offered the chance, depending on how much it hates the remaining gods (maybe it would want to "save" the other world too who knows) or it might just want to be left alone.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I'm kinda getting the impression that it isn't that someone was close enough to get in; after all, there've been at least two times where that easily could have happened. I'm thinking it may be more what Laurin is: a psion. My guess is that that's actually a real planet in there, and the Snarl is effectively it's god or guardian deity. Why lash out at Laurin in particular, and not Blackwing or Roy and co.? There are really only two major differences between them: alignment (and I'm not gonna go there because :can:) and their abilities. So the Snarl senses something it doesn't recognize outside of its domain, and attacks it. And it doesn't recognize psionics.

...were there any psions in 2e DnD?

(:speculate:)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pseudoscorpion posted:

psionics was a thing in 2e DnD as much as it was in 3rd.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh the Snarl its Rajat, is what you're saying, gonna silt up that sea, they better seal that planet da gently caress off.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I'm kinda getting the impression that it isn't that someone was close enough to get in; after all, there've been at least two times where that easily could have happened. I'm thinking it may be more what Laurin is: a psion. My guess is that that's actually a real planet in there, and the Snarl is effectively it's god or guardian deity. Why lash out at Laurin in particular, and not Blackwing or Roy and co.? There are really only two major differences between them: alignment (and I'm not gonna go there because :can:) and their abilities. So the Snarl senses something it doesn't recognize outside of its domain, and attacks it. And it doesn't recognize psionics.

Sort of? I think they were called psionicists, and they were a big deal in Dark Sun. Mind you, I started with 3.5e, so I've never seen them in action.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Pseudoscorpion posted:

See that could actually work if you look at it as just LOOKING at the portal is fine, but trying to do anything to the other side, like scan it with psionics, pisses the snarl off.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Blackwing and the order both only looked in, Laurin reached in with her mind. A better question is why it reacted to Laurin amd not all the humans Redcloak threw in to the rift for research purposes

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Well, their position just looks too deliberate to me, what with the shoulders and everything, and their seeming to be spaced a little away from the rest of the random speckling. Does it mean anything? I have no idea; maybe Rich was only being whimsical. But I have doubts that it's just an accidental arrangement (which is what I mean by a coincidence).

ETA: For what it's worth, Orion has long been my favorite constellation partially because it's the only one I could reliably find in the night sky. The rest all look like random dots with possibly seven or more Dippers and the occasional star that turns out to be an airplane.

TheAceOfLungs fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 16, 2014

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Potsticker posted:

psionics was a thing in 2e DnD as much as it was in 3rd.

Psionics debuted in the original D&D's Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry, making it as core to D&D as the Druid class.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Blackwing and the order both only looked in, Laurin reached in with her mind. A better question is why it reacted to Laurin amd not all the humans Redcloak threw in to the rift for research purposes

Maybe it reacts to intent to study it? Like with Soon's wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

wdarkk posted:

Maybe it reacts to intent to study it? Like with Soon's wife.

Maybe as a creature born of conflicting artistic desires it detests creativity and/or curiosity?