Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bass Bottles posted:

I keep seeing people suggest that Nintendo's upcoming fitness hardware will be the start of a shift away from videogames altogether. Would that really happen? Would they rather dump all their franchises than go third party?

Honestly, they were a card/toy company long before video games. I wouldn't be surprised if they would rather drop games and use their properties in other entertainment avenues before letting other companies make money off 'em making games.

Nintendo movies, cartoons, toys, clothes, etc.

Not saying it's more likely than third party, but it would make sense.

e: They already do all that stuff anyway. Doing it primarily instead of games would probably be cheaper and still turn a profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Soul Glo posted:

Honestly, they were a card/toy company long before video games. I wouldn't be surprised if they would rather drop games and use their properties in other entertainment avenues before letting other companies make money off 'em making games.

Nintendo movies, cartoons, toys, clothes, etc.

Not saying it's more likely than third party, but it would make sense.

e: They already do all that stuff anyway. Doing it primarily instead of games would probably be cheaper and still turn a profit.

It would also lay off hundreds of workers, which is a social taboo in Japan I believe, especially for a bigger company like Nintendo.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Astro7x posted:

It would also lay off hundreds of workers, which is a social taboo in Japan I believe, especially for a bigger company like Nintendo.
It really seems like this is one of the reasons why Nintendo hasn't been able to compete with Microsoft, Sony, or even the PC market. Since Japanese companies don't lay-off or transition employees to other positions, they simply can't adapt to the new market and this is what's killing them. Every time Nintendo makes a big announcement, it's always some 50 to 60 year old man who barely speaks English. ie. the same guys who were doing the driving almost 30 years ago. Heck, Hiroshi Yamauchi was the company's President from 1949 to 2002. And Iwata has been President ever since. Just as a means of comparison- the average CEO tenure for most large companies is about 6 years.

If the only time your company re-shuffles its executive leadership is when one of them retires, you're in for tough times ahead.

They're so out of touch with their audience that it's just incredible.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 15, 2014

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Also they didn't acquire loads of secondary studios and made friends with third-parties.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

melon cat posted:

It really seems like this is one of the reasons why Nintendo hasn't been able to compete with Microsoft, Sony, or even the PC market. Since Japanese companies don't lay-off or transition employees to other positions, they simply can't adapt to the new market and this is what's killing them. Every time Nintendo makes a big announcement, it's always some 50 to 60 year old man who barely speaks English. ie. the same guys who were doing the driving almost 30 years ago. Heck, Hiroshi Yamauchi was the company's President from 1949 to 2002. They're so out of touch with their audience that it's just incredible.

Japanese buissnes practices is really almost the entire reason that they're struggling overseas. Buissnes is a part of a countries culture over there, and Nintendo could desperately use some new blood. Like Retro.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

In the first 3 quarters of this year, they took Y287b in hardware sales, Y211b in software sales, and Y1.5b in non-gaming sales. Or: 0.3% of all revenue.

Yes, they do it already, but it's a tiny part of their business. And honestly without the games I wouldn't expect their brands to last.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bass Bottles posted:

I keep seeing people suggest that Nintendo's upcoming fitness hardware will be the start of a shift away from videogames altogether. Would that really happen? Would they rather dump all their franchises than go third party?

Yes. This will happen.

*edit: or not.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its amazing how little non-gaming media they have. There is the Kirby tv show (though I assume that was cancelled awhile ago,) the short lived F-Zero show and I think that is about it. Then there is all the Mario and Zelda branded crap and a few figures/toys. Why isn't there a new Mario tv show every few years like there is for Sonic? Why isn't there ever any stuff from Star Fox, Zelda, etc.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah if they can't figure out how to make a new Start Fox game, it send like something adaptable to a children's TV show extremely easily.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm just waiting for Nintendo to get Dark Horse or IDW to make them comics so the glorious day can come where I buy Waluigi #1 by the BrawlintheFamily guy.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Cliff Racer posted:

Its amazing how little non-gaming media they have. There is the Kirby tv show (though I assume that was cancelled awhile ago,) the short lived F-Zero show and I think that is about it. Then there is all the Mario and Zelda branded crap and a few figures/toys. Why isn't there a new Mario tv show every few years like there is for Sonic? Why isn't there ever any stuff from Star Fox, Zelda, etc.

If I had to make a guess, its probably a combination of a few things. Stuff like Nintendo of Japan taking back more control since older days would make it more difficult for western branches to hand out licenses. The attempts by Nintendo to have material produced at home (the F-Zero and Kirby series) may not have been as profitable as they would have preferred. They're far more assuming of what their properties 'should' be (Mario's total disregard of a continuous universe whilst Zelda now has the Hyrule Historia) than they would've been years ago. And maybe they don't feel so keen on making animated series anymore due to an increased mindset of being a games company first.

Or perhaps its a side effect of the successes they had with both the DS and the Wii - making so much money off the consoles and games alone, what could they POSSIBLY need extra material for?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm just waiting for Nintendo to get Dark Horse or IDW to make them comics so the glorious day can come where I buy Waluigi #1 by the BrawlintheFamily guy.

Nintendo + comic books is a perfect storm of two things are dying out because they don't bother to really extend their audience past what they already have.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Astro7x posted:

The wouldn't lay them off, they'd just put them to work doing something completely different than what they're trained for, what they're good at, and what they've been doing for the last ten years. Japanese companies do this all the time. They'll have former games programmers producing marketing materials for their new health lifestyle fitness whatever-the-gently caress products.

Then, they'll go out of business. But they won't lay anyone off.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If Japanese companies can't get rid of employees, they should at least be able to trade them like Pokemon.

Speaking of which, that's a highly successful multi-format series. I think they even rebooted the cartoon recently. It's a wasted opportunity if kids only get to see Mario in $60 video games, and not anywhere else.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, totally forgot about Pokemon. Also Hamtaro was owned by a second party I think. Though that is long dead now.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

greatn posted:

Yeah if they can't figure out how to make a new Start Fox game, it send like something adaptable to a children's TV show extremely easily.

I would love to see a new starfox game, make it a homage to the original SF, with a structure similar to SF64, but the same visual style of the original snes game, very few polygons with basic shading, but with way more stuff going on. Make it a straight up score attack/leaderboard game, and of course, sell it digital only for $20.

Or they can keep doing stupid free roaming stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When people say they want a new Star Fox game, are they counting Kid Icarus? Because that game's Star Fox Assault done right.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Kid Icarus Uprising was amazing. I'd love a version that didn't murder my hands after 30 minutes.

It would really suck if Nintendo quit games. No one else makes them like they do. Also a huge waste of IP. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Japan should nationalize Nintendo.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

What's different about Sony that they don't suffer the same business culture issues that Nintendo does?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

The_Frag_Man posted:

What's different about Sony that they don't suffer the same business culture issues that Nintendo does?

Apparently Sony is willing to listen to other divisions in an effort to improve things, as opposed to just driving their heads deeper into the sand.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The_Frag_Man posted:

They live in the year 2014. Nintendo is still in the 1980s.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The_Frag_Man posted:

When the PS3 happened, they put all of the descision making in the hands of SEA and SEE and that fixed basically everything while SEJ still has "final say" on everything.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The_Frag_Man posted:

They're just not suffering them in the gaming division, many of their other divisions are in trouble and that may be up to business culture issues. Do keep in mind that Sony Americas and Sony Europe have wayyyy more influence at Sony HQ then NOA and NOE do at NOJ.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Install Windows posted:

They're just not suffering them in the gaming division, many of their other divisions are in trouble and that may be up to business culture issues. Do keep in mind that Sony Americas and Sony Europe have wayyyy more influence at Sony HQ then NOA and NOE do at NOJ.

It's pretty unbelievable that they can't figure out how to make a competitive TV.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How did Japanese businesses get so far ahead of everyone in the technology field in the eighties with these kinds of cultural problems?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

greatn posted:

How did Japanese businesses get so far ahead of everyone in the technology field in the eighties with these kinds of cultural problems?
For one, Japanese corporate culture kind of went full retard after the crash of the early nineties. But, the corporate culture they had before then, and to a lesser extent the one they have now, is great for doing rock-solid engineering. There is a reason Nintendo products hardly ever break, just like there is a reason Japanese cars are very reliable. And, it's the same reason.

After the war the Japanese took the ideas of this dude: W. Edwards Deming, and elevated them to cult status. And, it turns out they work.

For whatever reason, this doesn't seem to apply to software companies. I don't know why.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

greatn posted:

I feel like the cultural problems are down to the age of the major players and the growth of these companies from one or two guys up to corporations with hundreds of employees. Nintendo has existed since the 1800s, but the previous president of Nintendo inherited the family business when he was midway through college and he was the one that sent them on the path to doing arcade games and later home consoles. A lot of the other big names in Japanese games were founded by people of the Gates/Jobs generation and those same companies are having trouble keeping up as that generation starts dying off or retiring. Konami's had the same chairman since its founding in '69. Koei's focus on historical strategy was because that's what the founder wanted to program and play. The guy who founded GameFreak started off doing arcade fanzines in the early 80s.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bass Bottles posted:

Kid Icarus Uprising was amazing. I'd love a version that didn't murder my hands after 30 minutes.

It would really suck if Nintendo quit games. No one else makes them like they do. Also a huge waste of IP. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

If anything, they'd never stop making handhelds because somehow those never suffer from the same problems the consoles do and practically rake in money.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

greatn posted:

Besides what other people have said, the simple fact that Japan's economy grew enormously in the postwar era, was one of the largest single markets behind the US during that time, and focused on export goods, made them a powerful economy in general. Their business culture isn't messed up enough to negate a country of 150 million people industrializing in a world with no competition besides the USA.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kilroy posted:

For whatever reason, this doesn't seem to apply to software companies. I don't know why.

Successful software companies always seem to be run by a younger crowd. It makes sense, the field changes rapidly and someone who hasn't been in it long isn't going to be stuck with the whole "Well, things have always been like this" mentality. Japanese companies keep the same people in charge for ages, they get stuck in their ways, and then the end up 5-10 years behind everyone else because they don't see the value in a lot of new things until it's become an industry standard, and the industry standard that replaced it has, itself, been replaced.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

greatn posted:

Plus, after WWII, Japan's government was essentially banned from spending on military endeavors, so they had the cash to invest into things like cars or electronics.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MinibarMatchman posted:

If anything, they'd never stop making handhelds because somehow those never suffer from the same problems the consoles do and practically rake in money.

That's because they're making games at 240p or whatever still. I think the 3DS resolution still doesn't match the SNES. Making the handheld have higher resolution has to be almost unavoidable in the future and then they'll run into the same development problems where their guys have no idea how to make high resolution games.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

greatn posted:

That's because they're making games at 240p or whatever still. I think the 3DS resolution still doesn't match the SNES. Making the handheld have higher resolution has to be almost unavoidable in the future and then they'll run into the same development problems where their guys have no idea how to make high resolution games.

I do think it's worth stating that the vast majority of consumers have no idea what resolution even is, and HD is a buzzword that's been thrown around since the Sega Genesis days.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Neo Helbeast posted:

I must be taking crazy pills because X looks terrible to me and I have no idea why people are hyped about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvoxOeK2_N8

E: I do realize that this is clearly a staged build and that final game will probably be different.

This looks more like Monster Hunter than a JRPG. It sounds more annoying though. People calling this the last JRPG are probably not aware of like, the upcoming western release of Trails in the Sky SC or Persona 5, which is fair.

I hope that robot piloting anime monster hunter sells well though because I don't actually want the Wii U and Nintendo's home console presence to sink like a steel diver. I don't think it'll push systems but I know Wii U owners are in need of some software to buy and it should fill a much needed gap.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If you've never played Xenoblade then that trailer is extremely boring, otherwise you can see the potential and changes they made and that's what makes it exciting.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I do think it's worth stating that the vast majority of consumers have no idea what resolution even is, and HD is a buzzword that's been thrown around since the Sega Genesis days.

This is a joke post, right?! In today's world, tech consumers know about "display resolution," this isn't some arcane knowledge only the tech elite are clued into.

And the fact the 3DS screens look like utter trash is obvious even lacking any detailed information.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
If you think your average consumer know what resolution actually is outside the phrase "High Resolution Retina Display" you are kidding yourself. Someone who watches unboxings on youtube or posts on SA is not an average consumer. Like, the resolution of the 3DS screen is so far down Nintendo's laundry list of problems, it's almost a non-issue.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

greatn posted:

The 3DS has a resolution of 400x240, discounting the 3D effect, which is greater than the SNES' resolution of 256x224, but lower than the PSP's 480x272.

However, Nintendo have been making games that look great in HD since 2001, they just haven't had the hardware capable of running them at those resolutions. It's up to them if they want to make the most of their new hardware by bump mapping every texture, but since they won't increase the size of the development teams or understand the costs or techniques required for this more complex form of development then they're not making games very efficiently.

Take Luigi's Mansion, a launch title for the Gamecube. It's not easy to emulate in Dolphin thanks to its advanced lighting effects, but it was the first game on the platform to show how beautifully modelled and animated Mario characters could look.

They've been working with that same engine ever since, and used it for Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy as well. The screenshots from Galaxy just have a custom camera angle, with none of the actual assets changed.

There's a gallery of more screenshots here.

E: For reference, this is roughly what Luigi's Mansion looks like at 1080p, 480p, and 240p.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That really makes me want to play F Zero GX again.

• Locked thread