Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

I looked it up because I couldn't believe it given how incredibly bad NG3 Vanilla was but they really did fix almost every single problem with Ninja Gaiden 3. Still shouldn't have released that game as it was but goddamn, nice going.

Definitely, Ninja Gaiden 3 was a very, very, VERY misguided attempt to cater to the :airquote:"wider audience":airquote: and it blew up in their face, it removed to many things that the hardcore NG fan liked and it was still far to difficult for a newcomer. Razors Edge on the other hand feels like something made for people who where fan of the series, you got your upgrade system back, enemies are aggressive and tough, you got all your old weapons back, the tests of valor came back now made even harder since you have to fight a classic NG boss at the end of it and the campaign is expanded and longer since you get to play as multiple characters.

I was legitimately surprised at how good Razors Edge ended up being, if we ever see NG games again, I hope they'll be more like Razor than NG2 Sigma and NG3 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Atomicated posted:

According to a NPD leaker on Neogaf Wii U sold less than 55k in January. Hardly surprising.
Later updated to 49k for the Wii U, ~100k for the 3DS.

In other words the Wii U is up marginally YoY, 3DS is down ~20%. Wii U outsold LTD in America by the PS4, will be behind the Xbone by April at the current rates.

On the other hand software sales for both were up (6% for the 3DS, 26% on the Wii U) so it's not all bad news?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Didn't Team Ninja's leading developer leave the company after 2? Like, it was the equivalent of making MGS games without Hideo Kojima.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A big flaming stink posted:

Didn't Team Ninja's leading developer leave the company after 2? Like, it was the equivalent of making MGS games without Hideo Kojima.

Yea a bunch of issues with Tecmo higher ups and some payments and it wasn't just Itagaki, like 95% of the team that worked on Ninja Gaiden Black and 2 left the company.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
You know what would be great? The WiiU to go back to some of the Gamecube stuff. It's weird, so many games on the 3DS just made me want to see them on the WiiU, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion 2, and a couple others. What I'd love to see is a continuation of the Pokemon XD duo, they're actually really neat little side games for what can be a really samey series. Of course I'd love to see Mario Sunshine 2, but that's because that's my childhood game.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
The more I read about the Wii U, the more I'm reminded of the Virtual Boy back when it first launched. Both are obscure consoles that are (or were) overpriced, have gimmicks that can't save the console's dismal sales numbers, both have a limited library of games, and both were quickly abandoned by Nintendo's core gaming audience early into the console's life cycle.

At this point, I don't think there's anything that can save the Wii U or make it profitable. People will continue to buy the Wii U in small numbers (especially once its price goes down), but Nintendo needs to abandon any hope of making any meaningful profit from the Wii U. Its hardware architecture is already 8 years behind, competitors have already released cutting edge next-gen consoles that have shown some degree of success despite the early product cycle (and the Steam Machine hasn't hit the market yet), developers aren't flocking to the Wii U like Nintendo had originally hoped, and at ~$300 it's not even competitively-priced.

In my non-expert, armchair executive opinion: Shelf the Wii U, shake-up Nintendo's ancient (and hilariously out of touch) executive leadership who seem to think that the gaming market hasn't changed since they joined the company in the 1980s. They also need to choose their battles more effectively. Either compete toe-to-toe with the Microsoft/Sony by releasing a new console that isn't out-dated by the time its released. Or, focus on the handheld gaming/casual market and stay out of the console race altogether. Either, or. Not both. You can't do both. Otherwise, Nintendo will continue spinning their wheels and apologizing for poor balance sheets.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 14, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Papercut posted:

This is the best idea from this thread and would own.

I even have a plausible justification for it. Samus could stumble her way into the yarn dimension while on the lam from the Federation. poo poo, I think a bunch of games can get made from Samus Aran's cop dodging adventures.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

melon cat posted:

The more I read about the Wii U, the more I'm reminded of the Virtual Boy back when it first launched. Both are obscure consoles that are (or were) overpriced, have gimmicks that can't save the console's dismal sales numbers, both have a limited library of games, and both were quickly abandoned by Nintendo's core gaming audience early into the console's life cycle.

I think that one key difference between the Wii U and Virtual Boy, at least as far as the current situation is concerned, is that the technology to do the Virtual Boy's gimmick properly just did not exist at the time. The Wii U, however, does its schtick in a perfectly serviceable manner, and making a console that has the tablet controller and can keep up with the other consoles is perfectly doable, Nintendo just didn't do it. Admittedly because it would've been pretty spendy, but the fact remains that it's not an inherently unworkable idea.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MechaCrash posted:

I think that one key difference between the Wii U and Virtual Boy, at least as far as the current situation is concerned, is that the technology to do the Virtual Boy's gimmick properly just did not exist at the time. The Wii U, however, does its schtick in a perfectly serviceable manner, and making a console that has the tablet controller and can keep up with the other consoles is perfectly doable, Nintendo just didn't do it. Admittedly because it would've been pretty spendy, but the fact remains that it's not an inherently unworkable idea.

The WiiU has multiple games worth playing, the Virtual boy had like, the one. The WiiU isn't doing well but it's more of a Dreamcast than a Virtual Boy, I really love my WiiU personally.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Austrian mook posted:

The WiiU has multiple games worth playing, the Virtual boy had like, the one. The WiiU isn't doing well but it's more of a Dreamcast than a Virtual Boy, I really love my WiiU personally.

It's doing worse than the Dreamcast. The Xbox One is doing around the same as the Dreamcast however.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's doing worse than the Dreamcast.

:stare: Good lord. Well, as long as it's got 2 Platinum titles I'm still going to give it lots of playtime. :shrug:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The Wii U doesn't give half of its audience a horrible headache after 10 minutes of use, so it has that over the Virtua Boy.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I'd still take Wario Land over 3D World any day.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I must be taking crazy pills because X looks terrible to me and I have no idea why people are hyped about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvoxOeK2_N8

E: I do realize that this is clearly a staged build and that final game will probably be different.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 15, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It basically is a direct sequel to Xenoblade with the same combat engine and everything and people like Xenoblade.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MechaCrash posted:

I think that one key difference between the Wii U and Virtual Boy, at least as far as the current situation is concerned, is that the technology to do the Virtual Boy's gimmick properly just did not exist at the time.

Yes it did. Nintendo just thought they could save money if they stuck with the rotating mirrors + red led only setup. As it turns out, saving that money that way resulted in a system that already would have had issues selling being actively unpleasant to use - the Virtual Boy would probably have been a better seller at $90 more but actually having 2x 384x224 color lcd screens in it, or frankly even lower resolution but still stationary LCD screens.

The way the Virtual Boy turned out, you couldn't even keep the batteries in the system because room was needed in the main unit to have LED arrays and paths and room for the multiple sets of spinning mirrors. The decision to stick with lines of LCDs and mirrors to simulate a full display meant you had to use red LEDs only because in those days red LEDs were the lowest power and cheapest, and that whole combination caused most of the headache poo poo.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 15, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Neo Helbeast posted:

I must be taking crazy pills because X looks terrible to me and I have no idea why people are hyped about it.

E: I do realize that this is clearly a staged build and that final game will probably be different.

It's the last hope for a dying genre that people are desperately clinging to (which is why it works perfectly as a Nintendo exclusive)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Neo Helbeast posted:

If it's anything like Xenoblade I'm going to hyperventilate while playing it because it's so loving awesome.

Well as long as the sidequests are more meaningful, I won't have any complaints.

That video is basically like "yep, that's good. oh good they kept that. Oh rad you can do that too! Nope, not finding any major complaints so far"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Papercut posted:

It's the last hope for a dying genre that people are desperately clinging to (which is why it works perfectly as a Nintendo exclusive)

But Dark Souls 2 is an RPG and Dragon Age 3 and Persona 5 are coming out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Link Between Worlds is a good game :shobon:

I never thought I'd say this but I got about 1-2 hours into that and sold it to a guy in russia. Maybe I'll get a downloadable version in the future but uh, I wish it had more linear direction like the older games. Maybe linear like wind waker that opens up for exploration later, because I was confused as gently caress from the getgo about what I should do/go. In wind waker when I went exploring (or most open world games) I knew I was supposed to go back and do the main quest at least and I knew where to go and what was probably going to happen.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

I am going to beat up anyone badmouthing the Wii U, the console.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Xbox One is doing around the same as the Dreamcast however.
No?

The Xbone right now is pretty close to where the Dreamcast was after 18 months, but yes the Wii U is definitely in that DC range. But that's a little flattering to the Wii U even, because the DC had a staggered worldwide launch.

Papercut posted:

It feels an awful lot like one of those games that garners an astounding amount of Internet hype then dies a quick death on release.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Edmund Honda posted:

It feels an awful lot like one of those games that garners an astounding amount of Internet hype then dies a quick death on release.

Xenoblade did well but it was a limited disc print wasn't it? I don't know how well it'll do with a full printing on a console with like 1/50th the install base.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah the Xbox One sold 3 million between November 22, 2013 and January 6, 2014; while the Wii U sold 5.9 million between November 18, 2012 and December 31, 2013. People get all upset about it but it's probably gonna end up ahead of the Wii U in total by the end of this year at the latest.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

But Dark Souls 2 is an RPG and Dragon Age 3 and Persona 5 are coming out.

Yes, when I think "games that are similar" Dark Souls and Xenoblade is the first example that pops into my mind.

Persona 5 is the only one that you named that's really in the same vein. He wasn't saying the RPG genre is dying out, more JRPG style games specifically. That is probably an arguable statement, still, but I wouldn't use Dragon Age 3 or Dark Souls 2 as a counterexample to the statement.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Yes, when I think "games that are similar" Dark Souls and Xenoblade is the first example that pops into my mind.

Persona 5 is the only one that you named that's really in the same vein. He wasn't saying the RPG genre is dying out, more JRPG style games specifically. That is probably an arguable statement, still, but I wouldn't use Dragon Age 3 or Dark Souls 2 as a counterexample to the statement.

Yeah, I'm not being entirely serious, but I was talking about the FF-esque JRPG genre. I liked Xenoblade a lot for what it was, but it wasn't particularly innovative or original and I'm just not sure where that type of game has left to go. I am a bad nerd though, I've never played a Persona game (I played a Shin Megami on DS, I think that might be the same series as Persona?).

I would definitely buy a used Wii U in a couple of years for $100 that came with the X and the two or three other games that I'd be interested in.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I never thought I'd say this but I got about 1-2 hours into that and sold it to a guy in russia. Maybe I'll get a downloadable version in the future but uh, I wish it had more linear direction like the older games. Maybe linear like wind waker that opens up for exploration later, because I was confused as gently caress from the getgo about what I should do/go. In wind waker when I went exploring (or most open world games) I knew I was supposed to go back and do the main quest at least and I knew where to go and what was probably going to happen.

There are literally X's on the map telling you where to go, and signs outside each dungeon telling you what you need.

It's a great game, I don't see how the format shakes things up enough, but I hope they use it for the next Zelda. I liked how you could knock out all of the side quests pretty early in the game instead of having areas that are conveniently blocked off. On the flip side, those limitations probably would have added another 5 hours to the game if they were in there, so it was nice not having the side quests be a chore. There was no feeling of "I need to come back later and do x once I get a certain weapon"

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Astro7x posted:

On the flip side, those limitations probably would have added another 5 hours to the game if they were in there, so it was nice not having the side quests be a chore. There was no feeling of "I need to come back later and do x once I get a certain weapon"

Conversely the game doesn't have the same sense of escalating power vs escalating challenge and progression that the other Zelda games do. In those games the difficulty would escalate from dungeon to dungeon, 1>2>3>4>all the way to 8 for the final boss, but if you knew what you were doing you could break the sequence and tackle an area with a difficulty of 6 or 7 when logically you should be at 3. You took that risk because you felt you could take the challenge prematurely, at your own pace. With ALBW, once you hit the second phase of the game every Sage dungeon is designed to be a 3 in difficulty, so the game expects you to tackle them in any order - instead of the challenge escalating from area to area it dwindles because there's no dynamic difficulty - and the final boss is a 4 or 5.

I really like this game but that's because I'm not a fan of the standard Zelda style, and I can see how the general formula of the series would appeal to players and how the evolution of that formula in ALBW would leave some players cold. It feels vaguely like parental mollycoddling, like ALBW is pretending to give you the freedom that you exploited in other games.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Papercut posted:

Yeah, I'm not being entirely serious, but I was talking about the FF-esque JRPG genre. I liked Xenoblade a lot for what it was, but it wasn't particularly innovative or original and I'm just not sure where that type of game has left to go. I am a bad nerd though, I've never played a Persona game (I played a Shin Megami on DS, I think that might be the same series as Persona?).

I would definitely buy a used Wii U in a couple of years for $100 that came with the X and the two or three other games that I'd be interested in.

Persona is a spinoff of Shin Megami Tensei, yes. That being said, JRPGs haven't really died off, they've just migrated over to handhelds.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I guess I now understand why every other Nintendo game has 20 hours of tutorials.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Mattavist posted:

I guess I now understand why every other Nintendo game has 20 hours of tutorials.

I don't understand. Do the giant blinking GO HERE TO CONTINUE symbols on the map mean that I should go there to continue? Please help :confused:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Help there aren't three hours of exposition cutscenes and minigames before the first dungeon and an hour between each thereafter, i'm scared and confused

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 15, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

kimpira posted:

I don't understand. Do the giant blinking GO HERE TO CONTINUE symbols on the map mean that I should go there to continue? Please help :confused:

Look man, do you wanna know how to Z-Target or not?

No?

TOOOOOOOOO BAD

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

...you wouldn't happen to have reviewed Nier for any major games websites, would've you?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I heard some stuff about a reviewer quitting the game because of the one mandatory fishing bit, but were there actually people who couldn't figure out where to go in Nier? It was a pretty straightforward game.

Motto fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 15, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

kimpira posted:

Look it looks like you've been playing for a while. Maybe you should take a break? You can end the game from the pause menu

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

kimpira posted:

No. Please understand.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I actually saw an ad for Donkey Kong when I was watching a youtube video for adults today!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Macaluso posted:

Look it looks like you've been playing for a while. Maybe you should take a break? You can end the game from the pause menu

The WiiU gamepad is engineered in such a way that a player will not continue to play after 3 hours and take a break. Because the gamepad battery life is awful and needs to recharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I keep seeing people suggest that Nintendo's upcoming fitness hardware will be the start of a shift away from videogames altogether. Would that really happen? Would they rather dump all their franchises than go third party?

• Locked thread