Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
The channel's gotten 1.6 million viewers total. I got curious and compared it to some big name speedrunners:

Speeddemosarchivesda (the one for Awesome Games Done Quick) - 42.9 million
Cosmo (Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time) - 21.5 million
Siglemic (Mario 64) - 17.5 million
Werster (Pokemon games played by one person) - 9.8 million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I figure the 3 days we saved at the Surge Puzzle will now be spent here.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

horriblePencilist posted:

The trash can puzzle was dumb luck. Besides, it was more likely to just turn around and hit A. In this case, we have to move 12 spots without anyone hitting down. This time around the trolls have a much easier time undoing progress.

i'm sure any troll with get bored in a week or two when they are still stuck in the same spot

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I thought it was decided that it needs to be two downs in a row?

And shame on those in this thread calling for the admin to disable certain buttons. That defies the entire experiment. Eventually the masses will move on and we'll down to a more permissible volume.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Imagine this with Earthbound. Among a million other things, you've got your dad calling you every so often to say "hey, don't you think you should take a break?"

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Google Translate posted:

Do not gently caress this! You need to get all of the badge of the gym and win the loving book us! Must be cooperative is us! We get the Pokemon before your loving bank, but this is not the point! Did you mean I have to say? ! Kappa
:allears:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's really great seeing people asking down to be banned, as they overshoot the small passage and have to go down anyway

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

And shame on those in this thread calling for the admin to disable certain buttons. That defies the entire experiment. Eventually the masses will move on and we'll down to a more permissible volume.

I agree, it's not like opening the menu would slow down their progress at this point anyway.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

pksage posted:

Imagine this with Earthbound. Among a million other things, you've got your dad calling you every so often to say "hey, don't you think you should take a break?"

I've been trying to think of other games this concept would work with, but Pokemon is unique in that it's an RPG where the penalty for losing is incredibly minor. (You don't get kicked to the title screen or anything, you just lose some money and go back to the Pokemon Center.)

EDIT:

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You could probably make millions running something like this with SNES SimCity and selling prints of the resulting map.

I actually thought about SimCity, but the cursor-based interface would likely just make it impossible for the stream to select anything or get near the menus. It'd just be an arrow shaking in the middle of the screen.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 15, 2014

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I hope that the input being fed to the emulator is actually random, with a human player occasionally taking the wheel to make progress. The real social experiment is watching people perceive and get irrationally angry at "trolls" that don't exist.

You could probably make millions running something like this with SNES SimCity and selling prints of the resulting map.

Edit: I was misremembering the SNES port as being completely tile based selections, but I guess it does use a cursor like every other version.

Any "light" turn based strategy game like Military Madness for TurboGrafx would probably work well.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 15, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rocketlex posted:

I've been trying to think of other games this concept would work with, but Pokemon is unique in that it's an RPG where the penalty for losing is incredibly minor. (You don't get kicked to the title screen or anything, you just lose some money and go back to the Pokemon Center.)
Dragon Quest has the same penalty but has a similarly convoluted UI.

Games Twitch Plays could try:
- Dr. Mario
- Yoshi's Cookie
- Clu-Clu Land
- Dance Dance Revolution
- Final Fight
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Bonanza Bros
- Space Harrier
- Toejam & Earl
- Puyo Puyo

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 15, 2014

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm pretty sure this is the only acceptable soundtrack for the stream. Just add a crowd of Moonbase Alpha voices calling out every direction and yelling at each other for being trolls.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTyN-vvFIkE

This music also works, just put it on repeat and you'll be set for this part of the game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

The Bee posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the only acceptable soundtrack for the stream. Just add a crowd of Moonbase Alpha voices calling out every direction and yelling at each other for being trolls.
I love that the guy got so mad about the MBA quotes spamming up his video that he not only turned off comments, he lectures the watcher in the annotations

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I keep checking in to see the progress and half the fun for me is just seeing how upset people are getting over this. :allears:

quote:

imagine what we could do if we just elected 1 person to control this

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

The Bee posted:

loving youtube comments man. Why does there need to be a big disclaimer in a super mario soundtrack clip about "Freedom of speech is notfreedom to belittle others"?

Edit: FOLLOW THE PLAN http://imgur.com/FMW0Low Haha amazing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Bee posted:

What on earth is so controversial about a SMB theme that he felt the need to disable comments? :psyduck:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Broken Cog posted:

What on earth is so controversial about a SMB theme that he felt the need to disable comments? :psyduck:
Welcome to the internet.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Broken Cog posted:

Oh, you're in for a treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is how you get the true experience of the stream: opening up every video posted in the last two pages in this thread and playing them alongside the stream. It goes about as well as you'd expect.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Broken Cog posted:

You know, if I can manage to figure out how to connect to Twitch Chat via IRC client (I tried several times without success), I probably could write a script to read out input Moonbase Alpha style.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

You know, if I can manage to figure out how to connect to Twitch Chat via IRC client (I tried several times without success), I probably could write a script to read out input Moonbase Alpha style.

You are officially the hero Twitch needs (even if not the one it deserves.)

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1302780-twitch-irc

Make sure to get your oauth token, passwords aren't supported anymore.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

0.5 seconds later: down down

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Would it ruin the experiment if an admin briefly took control to steer them past a particularly hard part?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Slate Action posted:

Would it ruin the experiment if an admin briefly took control to steer them past a particularly hard part?

Yes

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Slate Action posted:

If so, then it's already been ruined by the intervention after they managed to do the soft reset command and start a new game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Slate Action posted:

They can get past this... eventually. Stopping soft resetting and potentially 'fixing' the Safari zone are necessary though.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah there has been enough meddling by admin already to taint the experiment. Bah humbug.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Skaw posted:

If so, then it's already been ruined by the intervention after they managed to do the soft reset command and start a new game.

There's a bit of a difference between pulling a rat through a difficult part of a maze since it's unable to do it and replacing the rat in the last good spot after it jumps out of the maze entirely. This is within the intent and specification of the experiment, a soft reset wasn't.

edit: also this is still hilarious so I'm calling the experiment a success

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Slate Action posted:

I don't know why people consider this to be some sacred hands-off social experiment

maybe whoever runs this just wants to see the credits before queuing up the next game and getting rich of sub-only mode.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Forget an admin taking control, it needs to be set to subscriber only to beat the safari zone. :getin:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

As if it was ever a real experiment to begin with.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I am joining team down.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Twitch Plays Pokemon: Double Down on Trolling

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

This is the most art that video games have ever been.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

E4C85D38 posted:

There's a bit of a difference between pulling a rat through a difficult part of a maze since it's unable to do it and replacing the rat in the last good spot after it jumps out of the maze entirely. This is within the intent and specification of the experiment, a soft reset wasn't.

There's already been stated intent to get around having chat obtain Surf from the Safari Zone legitimately, which is theoretically doable outside of the area being gated with an entry fee and running out of funds. I don't really see much difference in getting Surf within a 500 step limit and going through a maze that resets progress if you go the wrong way during single-tile wide straights.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Skaw posted:

There's already been stated intent to get around having chat obtain Surf from the Safari Zone legitimately, which is theoretically doable outside of the area being gated with an entry fee and running out of funds. I don't really see much difference in getting Surf within a 500 step limit and going through a maze that resets progress if you go the wrong way during single-tile wide straights.

quote:

outside of the area being gated with an entry fee and running out of funds.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They'll be here for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

The funds part can be overcome by codes though. The plan is to just outright give them Surf.

• Locked thread