Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wish that foreign courts would return your heirs when they get left there through marriage. I matrilineal married my daughter to a mayor in Russia with good stats, and when he died she came home, but my granddaughters and future possible Queens of Navarra are sitting in some shithole in Russia not getting educated and this bumpkin mayor won;t send them home because they would be hostage to a foreign court. :downsbravo:

Ahahaha. One of the Princes that got left in the Russian city actually became mayor of that city and culture shifted to Russian...he also happens to be the only Genius born into my family all game and I would have considered temporarily changing to Ag-cog succession to ensure he inherited. :negative:

edit:

Look at this waste of an education and breeding.

edit 2: He came home because pagan Lithuania conquered the province his city was in. He's Russian, Orthodox and pretty much useless to me at this point, but I'll find him a nice wife with a claim. :)

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
In your playthroughs do the eastern pagan countries often solidify? I'm trying to prop up Russia or Rus as a strong pagan force in the east, but it keeps tearing itself apart.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Pretty sure there's a way to banish via console, if you take the route of correcting dumb gamey stuff that way.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dutchfool posted:

Breaking a truce is worth it if you can't do the above mentioned things by Main. Still, breaking a truce isn't that bad. The prestige hit is, imo, not bad at all. Prestige gives it's maximum relationship bonus at 2000 and isn't used for that many things. As a bonus, sine you're the emperor of a nearly restored Roman Empire already you should have no problem at all regaining prestige back very quickly. Breaking a lot of truces as a character that is about to die of age/an assasination is very much worth it.

The diplo hit is massively painful though.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Uncle Jam posted:

Its always awesome when the husband of the wife you're cheating with thinks the baby is his, when the skin color clearly shows otherwise.

I thought the game fudged skin color if you get the notification that the chump thinks the kid is his. One time my biological son came out using the ethiopian portraits though neither of his real parents used them (but the chump did) and so I chuckled at what was clearly a ruse and the world's most successful application of blackface.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dongattack posted:

In your playthroughs do the eastern pagan countries often solidify? I'm trying to prop up Russia or Rus as a strong pagan force in the east, but it keeps tearing itself apart.

It's reasonably solid in my game, but pagans get mandatory gavelkind and amplified short reign penalties, so they're usually not too stable in the hands of the AI. Maybe if you reform the religion, its chances will improve?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

It's reasonably solid in my game, but pagans get mandatory gavelkind and amplified short reign penalties, so they're usually not too stable in the hands of the AI. Maybe if you reform the religion, its chances will improve?

Hmm yeah, i did, like 300 years ago. I guess they just hate eachother.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

HenessyHero posted:

I thought the game fudged skin color if you get the notification that the chump thinks the kid is his. One time my biological son came out using the ethiopian portraits though neither of his real parents used them (but the chump did) and so I chuckled at what was clearly a ruse and the world's most successful application of blackface.

No, I always end up with as lot Nubians floating around my court, I have secretly bestowed the gift of dark skin color on many european aristocrats.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

No, I always end up with as lot Nubians floating around my court, I have secretly bestowed the gift of dark skin color on many european aristocrats.

...So you're saying my scandalous lover is probably, in fact, a double-liar?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Uncle Jam posted:

Hmm, idea for my next Abyssinia game: Convert all Celtic/Norse/Russian/Generic European ruling houses to darker skin tones.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
That gives me a great idea for what to do with my Mandingo dynasty.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Excelzior posted:

mean_time_to_happen = is 1200 months

Ruler's Stewardship :

Anything less than 5 multiplies it by 1.5 for each step, down to 0-1 (6075 months)
Anything above 9 reduces it by a quarter for each step, up to 13 (380 months)
Mongol culture lowers it by 60% if the year is before 1350

As far as I can tell there's a global reduction by 25% if the holders of the titles above yours match your culture.

By Rulers Stewardship do you mean me or the individual county rulers?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

By Rulers Stewardship do you mean me or the individual county rulers?

Individual county ruler. Also, note that the event pops on a per-character basis rather than a per-county basis, so if you want to convert a lot of counties quickly, it's best to have as many different characters with high stewardship holding the counties as possible

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Torrannor posted:

Hmm, idea for my next Abyssinia game: Convert all Celtic/Norse/Russian/Generic European ruling houses to darker skin tones.

This happened in one of my games without any help from me. I noticed one of the Rurikid rulers married a Levantine convert to Norse paganism. There were a few other Levantines in his court as well, not sure where they came from but after a few centuries eastern and northern European rulers were noticeably darker than the rest of Europe.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mustang posted:

This happened in one of my games without any help from me. I noticed one of the Rurikid rulers married a Levantine convert to Norse paganism. There were a few other Levantines in his court as well, not sure where they came from but after a few centuries eastern and northern European rulers were noticeably darker than the rest of Europe.

Yeah, when a ruler converts to a certain culture the game will start spawning courtiers of that culture. This made for a really interracial Egypt/East Africa in my last game as the Solomonids because one of the Abyssinian emperors I had turned Frankish (as did his whole line) because he was tutored under a wayward Frankish crusader who happened to end up in the Abyssinian court (if I recall correctly, the previous emperor had befriended him during a pilgrimage).

Cue dozens and dozens of Frankish men and women spawning all over the empire, intermarrying with all levels of noble society. I just wrote it off as the really strong Abyssinian empire playing host to would-be crusaders in a world where 9/10 of the crusades failed.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
When the game came out until a few expansions back I pretty much only played games with CK2+; now I am ready to get back into my beloved incest simulator! If you have an eye on converting to EU4 is it advisable to play a vanilla game or does the new ck2+ solve whatever conversion issues it creates? Also, is vanilla mode more fun now than it was during the time when playable Muslims were introduced?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
CK2+ is supposed to be fully compatible with the EU4 converter.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

When the game came out until a few expansions back I pretty much only played games with CK2+; now I am ready to get back into my beloved incest simulator! If you have an eye on converting to EU4 is it advisable to play a vanilla game or does the new ck2+ solve whatever conversion issues it creates? Also, is vanilla mode more fun now than it was during the time when playable Muslims were introduced?

I don't play EU4 myself but I believe the issues with CK2+ were worked out. Vanilla is much improved, and CK2+ is a bit worse due to having some stupid poo poo added to it. Factions and plots are still much better in CK2+ though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What happens if you grant a kingdom to a vassal Pope?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

What happens if you grant a kingdom to a vassal Pope?

I'm going to gently caress around with popes after the little Spanish Kingdoms in my buff Navarra drift under me and disappear. For some reason, despite not ever loving around with the College, half the cardinals are from my realm and I wonder if my campaigns against the moors have anything to do with it.

edit: I imagine you can't give a kingdom to a pope tho because they are a theocracy and you can't grant them kingdom level titles normally.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm going to gently caress around with popes after the little Spanish Kingdoms in my buff Navarra drift under me and disappear. For some reason, despite not ever loving around with the College, half the cardinals are from my realm and I wonder if my campaigns against the moors have anything to do with it.

edit: I imagine you can't give a kingdom to a pope tho because they are a theocracy and you can't grant them kingdom level titles normally.

Correct, you'll get the refusal "Cannot Grant more than one Duchy or Kingdom to a Theocracy" (their religious head title counting as the first)

Two questions :

1-why is the Fratecelli papacy duke-level and not king-level like the Catholic Pope?
2- is the Fratecelli pope programmed to give out his money more? if so, how charmingly appropriate :allears:

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.
Sheesh I just realized how many little subsects of religions are in this game which I've almost never seen actually get founded in my games. Using the ruler creator to force them in lol

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dutchfool posted:

Breaking a truce is worth it if you can't do the above mentioned things by Main. Still, breaking a truce isn't that bad. The prestige hit is, imo, not bad at all. Prestige gives it's maximum relationship bonus at 2000 and isn't used for that many things. As a bonus, sine you're the emperor of a nearly restored Roman Empire already you should have no problem at all regaining prestige back very quickly. Breaking a lot of truces as a character that is about to die of age/an assasination is very much worth it.

I had forgotten that the truce lasts only as long as the other person lives. Two stabs later and the Roman Empire was restored. Basileus Leon VI went on to help reunite much of the empire before passing away and leaving things in the hand of Hippolytos aka "the son of Satan" who unfortunately had many of his 'flipping towards evil' events before he came to the throne.

One thing that helped lower revolt risk was that I left him enough counties to create the Kingdom of Jerusalem. A few gifts of excess counties to bishops and instant 5000 prestige and 2000 piety. The crown authority revolt was put down thanks to cataphracts, witches, and 46 martial, and now everyone seems cool. How bizarre. Hopefully this doesn't all fall apart at some point.

Satan really shouldn't get a penalty for breaking a truce - I mean, he's Satan, what did you really expect when you signed that treaty?

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Rumda posted:

The diplo hit is massively painful though.

Who cares about the opinion of other rulers (Your vassals will not be affected, only independent rulers will IIRC) anyway? :cheeky: If you have land they want, they'll take it anyway, pretty much no matter how much they like/hate you. You will however not be able to marry into their family but that isn't a pain. Just marry a distant relative and murder everyone untill the relative is a suitable match should you really want it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I wanted to start a new game of CK2, and I've already done Ireland. Are there any other good or fun beginner/intermediate areas to start at?

Barbun
Aug 20, 2012
He's talking about Truce Breaker though, which gives your character -5 Diplomacy (the stat) for five years.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I wanted to start a new game of CK2, and I've already done Ireland. Are there any other good or fun beginner/intermediate areas to start at?

Iceland. Iceland, 1066 was my very first CK2 start, and I enjoyed it immensely. It's just so remote that you're mostly left alone to plot, dick around, and learn the mechanics, even if the rate of advancement in income and such is quite slow.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

One of the spanish kings in 1066 is considered the next step up, they pretty much all are all related so you can do some stab-shenanigans there, plus you have holy war opportunities. Otherwise, Venice is good if you want to try a republic (and have the DLC).

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Quoting myself here, seems relevant :p

Dutchfool posted:

"As for other fun/less isolated starts I would NOT suggest the Rurikid's. They all have claims on each other and it will require a lot of intrigue on your part to survive/conquer your claims. Instead I suggest the Hungarians in 867, they start with a massive army and will have no problem conquering neighbours for the coming years, which should get you enough land to survive once the army from the start is depleted.

In the 1067 start I suggest Matilda of Tuscany. You start with a TON of personal holdings and you will be an absolute powerhouse. You should aim to get all of Italy. Once you've got that become the king/queen of Italy and try to succeed in a indepence revolt or go and conquer Africa! She has a lot of interesting oppurtunities.

If you like conquering and managing a large empire, def. go for the Hungarian start. If you like to learn intrigue and go less easymode choose Matilda."

Barbun posted:

He's talking about Truce Breaker though, which gives your character -5 Diplomacy (the stat) for five years.

Ah. Well, that still isn't that bad, as an old ruler you will have not too many problems anyway and 0 diplomacy isn't bad at that point.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Duke of Lower Lorraine in 1066 is a really easy start. You have loads of land outside your de jure duchy, and a claim on the duchy of Upper Lorraine. Win the claim war for that and you have enough land to form Lotharingia right off the bat, and from that can push towards becoming Emperor.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What decides who wins a Crusade? I was leading in contribution, had won almost every battle myself and sieged pretty much the whole target, but when the war ended the Holy Roman Empire, who'd spent the whole Crusade embroiled in an independence war, contributing nothing, ended up with the spoils.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Claimants to the title of the Crusade target get priority over contribution.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
A really good 867 start is the count of nantes. You're norse, you start with about 2.5k event troops, and within about 20-30 years you can form the kingdom of brittany, which is pretty good, then convert to catholicism (because of all the catholics surrounding you). If you do it in ironman it's a good way to work your way up from count to emperor (within 300 years you can have most of francia if you get lucky with marriages).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Landsknecht posted:

A really good 867 start is the count of nantes. You're norse, you start with about 2.5k event troops, and within about 20-30 years you can form the kingdom of brittany, which is pretty good, then convert to catholicism

Well, yeah, if you're some kind of coward who doesn't deserve to be Norse

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Through no machinations of my own, my grandson who was captive in the wilds of Russia where he became mayor and got deposed by Lithuanian pagans, not only returned home, he managed to get elected Doge of my vassal republic. Now that's a comeback. :unsmith:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Are you opposed to playing a Muslim nation? If not try out the Sultanate of Tunis/Africa. It's got some rich provinces, only like 2 neighbors you have to worry about (and both of them will be fighting Christians forever) and you're in a good position to expand anywhere you loving please when it comes to the Mediterranean. If things work out well you can even blaze up through Italy via Sicily and show those dirty Catholics what's what. They're a pretty good nation for first-time Islamic rulers.

Don't stop till you go full jihad.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Through no machinations of my own, my grandson who was captive in the wilds of Russia where he became mayor and got deposed by Lithuanian pagans, not only returned home, he managed to get elected Doge of my vassal republic. Now that's a comeback. :unsmith:

And he immediately starts a faction. Crusader Kings!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

And he immediately starts a faction. Crusader Kings!

That faction didn't fire, but he joined someone else's claim faction and I released him at the end to get brownie points with my vassals. He was basically the only ruler to come out unscathed. I mean the guy spent about 30 years in my court begging for a title after spending most of his life before that in the wilds and then managed to get a pretty powerful one on his own. That deserves some leniency.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 16, 2014

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

The year's 1000 AD, dirty cathars control all of the -HRE-, West Francia's got an antipope, reformed Tengri have Tartaria, reformed norse have Scandinavia, england and skotland and even the Slavs are on the verge of either forming an empire or reforming their religion despite being wedged between all these powers. Byzantium has been pushed back to a greatly diminished Greece. What's the pope doing during all this? Well, a papal legate came by to my court looking for a suitable bride. The groom? Pope Innocent The Mad himself, though he doesn't actually marry them per se. Rather, he's been creating a collection of sorts. His court's filled with over a hundred female courtiers, almost all young women of marrying age, representing pretty much the entire female half of Europe's unlanded nobility. Looks like the pope has one hell of an end of days party planned.

-My friend's current game.

... Nothing cool ever happens to me :emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Greenllama posted:

Sheesh I just realized how many little subsects of religions are in this game which I've almost never seen actually get founded in my games. Using the ruler creator to force them in lol
Can you ruler-create more than one character? Like if you create one and go to another dude, will it just reset? I've never tried.

• Locked thread