Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Too many jobs dammit. Salve maker's passive makes white magic amazing btw, it buffs that to heal twice as much. Performer is pretty neat, finding it quite useful in boss fights combined with Pirate debuffs, and it has decent enough stats to attack as a black Mage. I need to figure out how salve maker makes weaknesses because I'm still relying on a special move for that.

Valkyrie/Spellblade is so good I didn't switch her out when she hit 9, Ninja seems really good but I like what I'm using now.

I didn't have a good katana so my sword master was using Staff lore and that high attack staff you find in the lava area :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

When do I unlock more slots to put abilities in? Still stuck on 1 slot and it's kind of Mrgrgr.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When do I unlock more slots to put abilities in? Still stuck on 1 slot and it's kind of Mrgrgr.
You get one more after each Crystal.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Quantum Toast posted:

You get one more after each Crystal.

Oh, okay. I haven't even hit the first crystal, wherever that is. I just hit level 17 and just now got the airship.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay help me please, where are the level 4 black/time magic spells? I just cannot find them for the life of me, I've checked every town, even Grandship and I haven't seen it anywhere. I have the level 3 and 5 spells, and the level 4 white magic spells, but level 4 black/time are just impossible to find for me for some reason.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay help me please, where are the level 4 black/time magic spells? I just cannot find them for the life of me, I've checked every town, even Grandship and I haven't seen it anywhere. I have the level 3 and 5 spells, and the level 4 white magic spells, but level 4 black/time are just impossible to find for me for some reason.

Area outside the Swordbearers' fortress, off to the right.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know, I was overdue for a new avatar anyway.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Y'know, I was overdue for a new avatar anyway.

And it's facing the wrong way!

Still Elvis Ringabel is awesome as heck.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

And it's facing the wrong way!

Still Elvis Ringabel is awesome as heck.

Ringabel is too cool to face towards the post.

And/or I didn't even think of that gently caress poo poo drat

Edit: There, let us put this shame behind us.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 15, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Area outside the Swordbearers' fortress, off to the right.

Ah thanks, no wonder I couldn't find it, all it had was an item icon and I didn't bother to talk to him since I didn't need items. Had no clue he had other stuff for sale.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So... about that boss in the Fire Temple. Is there a strategy to beating him beyond pray he doesn't suck up all your BP and cast Drain 3 times in a row? I only beat him because someone in the thread mentioned damage that ignored defense would go through his shield. Cue spamming Takeover and Compounding, and even then it took me multiple tries. I get the way the fight is supposed to go, but... I dunno, is it just bad luck? Was 41 underleveled? I felt like I was missing something the entire fight even after I won.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Vampire's BP suck... does it ever work? It always sucks 0 for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rangpur posted:

So... about that boss in the Fire Temple. Is there a strategy to beating him beyond pray he doesn't suck up all your BP and cast Drain 3 times in a row? I only beat him because someone in the thread mentioned damage that ignored defense would go through his shield. Cue spamming Takeover and Compounding, and even then it took me multiple tries. I get the way the fight is supposed to go, but... I dunno, is it just bad luck? Was 41 underleveled? I felt like I was missing something the entire fight even after I won.

Nah, 41 isn't underleveled. I did it at 40 on Hard, but it took like five tries, and when I did pull it off I'm pretty sure it was just luck that he didn't do exactly what you described.

What really, really helped was having Agnes as a Salve-Maker/Performer. She spent most of her time buffing the team while the boss's shield was up, getting everyone's P.Def to 150% in time for them to survive an Energy Blast by Defaulting. Plus I went in with all my Specials charged, with 50% power boosts and lightning elemental on them. If the boss hadn't got a crit on Ringabel with the first Energy Blast I would've been able to take him down in a single shield cycle, but because Ringabel couldn't really contribute it took two.

That boss has a lot in common with Rusalka, the Water Temple boss, in that the fight really rewards learning the boss's pattern and then being ready to unload a just plain stupid amount of damage during the boss's (very, very brief) opening.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

MotU posted:

Really disappointed that Praline's battle music wasn't her stupid song

I really did like her battle chant. Here's the Japanese version as a full song.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Eddain posted:

Jesus, how popular is this game in Japan? That concert is bonkers.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bruceski posted:

The Vampire's BP suck... does it ever work? It always sucks 0 for me.

Nope

I've tried it on enemies and bosses at 2 and nothing ever lands. It's total garbage.

Despite what I said tempted to start NG+ already and wondering what the most fun way to go about it is. I'm arguing in my head that I should transfer all jobs/JP because I've mastered everything, but afraid that'll make it too boring. Not gonna transfer my levels as I'm 99 but so curious as to how to customize!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Harrow posted:

That boss has a lot in common with Rusalka, the Water Temple boss, in that the fight really rewards learning the boss's pattern and then being ready to unload a just plain stupid amount of damage during the boss's (very, very brief) opening.

The Fire temple boss has a Lightning weakness? Really? I thought it was Light because I kept hitting his weakness with one of my specials. Must have been the Demonslayer rider instead. Guess it's not totally out of left field though. The reason so many Humanoid enemies are weak to Lightning is the metal weapons they're carrying around, and he's got a ton of them sticking out of his... back, head, whatever. Would have made things a lot easier.

The information you get out of using Examine is incredibly useful, but it is such a damned waste of a skill slot otherwise. I think from now on I'm going to treat my first attempt on most bosses as a mulligan--go in with Examine, and if you lose just make a note of the information so you can come back with a useful skill instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eddain posted:

Actually, I'm reminded. What are the names for the various character's themes? The ones that play when they Special.

Hakkesshu posted:

This is pretty common for game concerts in Japan honestly. (Or anywhere but they're not very common elsewhere.)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Are there any asterisks I'm missing? I'm at the Fire Crystal boss in Chapter 3 and I expected that I would've gotten the quests for at least Pirate and Ninja by now.

e: VVV Thanks!

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 16, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Strange Quark posted:

Are there any asterisks I'm missing? I'm at the Fire Crystal boss in Chapter 3 and I expected that I would've gotten the quests for at least Pirate and Ninja by now.

You should have Pirate by that point. Ninja is Right after the fire crystal, as is Swordmaster if I recall

Character themes
Tiz : You are my hope
Agnes: Wind's Direction
Edea: Baby Bird
Ringabel: Loves Vagrant

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Strange Quark posted:

You don't get the quest for the pirate, you just come across it while exploring the sea. You want to look for dense fog. There's also one you can't get until Chapter 6.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

The battle medley goes beyond bonkers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRh2-SSXycc

Rangpur posted:

The Fire temple boss has a Lightning weakness? Really? I thought it was Light because I kept hitting his weakness with one of my specials. Must have been the Demonslayer rider instead. Guess it's not totally out of left field though. The reason so many Humanoid enemies are weak to Lightning is the metal weapons they're carrying around, and he's got a ton of them sticking out of his... back, head, whatever. Would have made things a lot easier.

The information you get out of using Examine is incredibly useful, but it is such a damned waste of a skill slot otherwise. I think from now on I'm going to treat my first attempt on most bosses as a mulligan--go in with Examine, and if you lose just make a note of the information so you can come back with a useful skill instead.

I like that the majority of the temple bosses have nothing to do with the temple's element. The first time I went into that fight I was expecting some kind of fire monster, so I had everything set up to do water damage, but nope! Big ol' brain demon with a lightning weakness. Guess that showed me.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Pirate is sort of a pain because once Datz mentions the ghost ship, you don't get any other quest markers. You're meant to find it soley based on his vague directions. It also doesn't look like a ship, so you may have sailed right past it without realizing. Turn off encounters and sail around Grandship at night; look for a fog bank.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Harrow posted:

The battle medley goes beyond bonkers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRh2-SSXycc

I like that the majority of the temple bosses have nothing to do with the temple's element. The first time I went into that fight I was expecting some kind of fire monster, so I had everything set up to do water damage, but nope! Big ol' brain demon with a lightning weakness. Guess that showed me.

Yeah, I got faked out by that too, bought 4 fire resistant rings and equipped them going in, and they end up being useless. At least he's not hard... after you get one-shotted by his energy blast move and realize you have to default the turn he comes out of his guard stance.

Also, that Bravely Default concert is pretty cool. I really wish more people would give videogame music credit, there is a lot of really good stuff out there (I'm a gigantic touhou music nerd).

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So, the valkyrie skill Decimate. Will it ever come in useful like on some boss who goes nuts once his health is really low, or is it a lovely useless skill?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

Pirate is sort of a pain because once Datz mentions the ghost ship, you don't get any other quest markers. You're meant to find it soley based on his vague directions. It also doesn't look like a ship, so you may have sailed right past it without realizing. Turn off encounters and sail around Grandship at night; look for a fog bank.

You can find it regardless of time of day. Apparently it shows up either directly north, southeast, or southwest of Grandship.

Also: what's the deal with level 80 Belphegor and level 99 beelzebub? Are they a lot harder than the level 20 and 10 versions?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 16, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Spiritmaster seems great regardless of its class abilities, simply because with the Yggdrasil Staff and Holy One, Cura is a full heal for my characters for only 7 MP.

Also man, first time getting wiped in a random battle, once the Liliths used Charm on Tiz and Ringabel it was pretty much done.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So i tried to fight the summoner boss and her summon wrecked my poo poo what's a good level/job set up current i'm around 21-22 and i've got Spell Fencer, Time Mage, White Mage, and Thief.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Am I missing something with the vampire castle? I'm on chapter 4, in my 60s with a 13/14 crew, and getting wiped by those freaking cerberi.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it possible to get whatever powers Khint has from killing him first, or does he just leave like a wimp?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
^^^Not the first 2 times you fight him

Hakkesshu posted:

Am I missing something with the vampire castle? I'm on chapter 4, in my 60s with a 13/14 crew, and getting wiped by those freaking cerberi.

Use a 14/14 Monk/Freelancer with natural talent and pressure point/mimic. At least that's what I did, but I was also lvl 99 and had maxed every class on every character at that point.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shyfted One posted:

^^^Not the first 2 times you fight him

Use a 14/14 Monk/Freelancer with natural talent and pressure point/mimic. At least that's what I did, but I was also lvl 99 and had maxed every class on every character at that point.

So when you run into him, don't even bother attacking him, just attack whatever goon is paying him so he leaves the fight and makes it easier?

edit: pretty pictures

edit2: How do I unlock these chests in the dungeons?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 16, 2014

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edit2: How do I unlock these chests in the dungeons?

The blue ones? You get a key in one of the later chapters.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
No, you still have to attack him (and you might want to beat him first so he leaves since he's an rear end), but you can't actually finish him for the asterisk until a later fight.

VVV Or not. Nevermind then!

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 16, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Khint leaves when the guy he's helping hits 50%. so ignore him.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Seems you get some notes added to the journal after the Red Mage fight. Never noticed them before. The last page is... interesting. Makes me think there's more to the Asterisks then the game's let on so far.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Rangpur posted:

The last page is... interesting. Makes me think there's more to the Asterisks then the game's let on so far.

Unless I missed it, there really isn't. They build up a pretty neat in-universe explanation for the job system, then completely punt on the how and why.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Hakkesshu posted:

My strategy was to make everyone except my healer into a Swordmaster, and set Slow World (Time Mage support skill) on one character. Have your healer default and everyone else use Nothing Ventured whenever any enemies have 0 or more BP: use the BP you've saved up to heal on turns where the enemy's BP is negative. Don't ever attack directly: beat them entirely through counterattacks, so that you don't get countered yourself.

It also really, really helps if you can use skills or equipment on everyone to resist fire damage to reduce the sting of Hellfire, and nullify charm and confusion to deal with the other enemies in that dungeon.

Alternative option: use the difficulty settings to turn off random battles entirely. The boss is tough, but not nearly as tough as the random encounters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Thuryl posted:

My strategy was to make everyone except my healer into a Swordmaster, and set Slow World (Time Mage support skill) on one character. Have your healer default and everyone else use Nothing Ventured whenever any enemies have 0 or more BP: use the BP you've saved up to heal on turns where the enemy's BP is negative. Don't ever attack directly: beat them entirely through counterattacks, so that you don't get countered yourself.

It also really, really helps if you can use skills or equipment on everyone to resist fire damage to reduce the sting of Hellfire, and nullify charm and confusion to deal with the other enemies in that dungeon.

Alternative option: use the difficulty settings to turn off random battles entirely. The boss is tough, but not nearly as tough as the random encounters.

Okay, thanks, I'll try this. It just seems like a weird design decision to suddenly make the random encounters so tough out of nowhere. It feels like endgame content, but I'm just over halfway through the game or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Seems you get some notes added to the journal after the Red Mage fight. Never noticed them before. The last page is... interesting. Makes me think there's more to the Asterisks then the game's let on so far.

Francis posted:

Unless I missed it, there really isn't. They build up a pretty neat in-universe explanation for the job system, then completely punt on the how and why.

Yeah I'm either missing something, or you're misreading that last page. Care to elaborate?

• Locked thread