Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I've been playing your Rakdos Aggro list, should I play mono-B aggro instead? Looks like plenty of fun.

I absolutely love that rakdos aggro list. Have you been playing it with the singleton underworld cerberus? That cerberus is absolutely bonkers insane.

I've gotten a little gun-shy bout running rakdos humans. It was a definiteee (fringe) T1 deck before Born of the gods cme out. Now that Born is out I think that you can try testing with a couple Pain Seers in place of Shred freaks (awesome) or Spike Jesters (less good, but increases your huans count.

Post BOTG your matchup against Azorius Control and Mono-U remain awesome. Your R/G monstrous matchup is still pretty good. However your matchups against Esper and Mono-B get significantly worse. Partially because the good mono-B players have started main-decking Pharikas Cure (which is pretty brutal against Rakdos Humans) Also the addtion of Bile Blight and Drown in Sorrow are backbreaking against Rakdos Humans.

Now I'm not saying that it's dead as a deck, but it definitely isn't as strong as it was before the new set came out.

I am enjoying the hell out of this Mono-B Agent of Fates deck.

I am also probably going to build up a Golgari Aggro or Midrange list in the near future. Mostly because I want to drop a Sylvan Caryatid, while my oipponent has multiple Sylvan Caryatids, and then Bile Blight my own Sylvan Caryatid to kill all the Caryatids, mine and my opponents alike.

But these are just my opinion. What's the meta like in Calgary right now???

Korak posted:

Curious if you have tried some amount of Spiteful Returned for that little bit of extra reach as well as being a relatively cheap bestow creature?

No I haven't. Spiteful Returned is my absolute 100% favourite best card in BOTG limited. But I just don't think his power level is high enough for constructed. I'd Rather have my heroic triggers give out +1/+1 flying and Lifelink (Gift), +3/+3 and flying (herald), or +x/+x (nighthowler)

Spiteful Returned gives +1/+1, and offers no evasion. As nice as the two point life loss is, by itself a Spiteful returned will always be a 1/1 ground pounder, whereas Nighthowler can get HUGE, and Herald of Torment can eat Nightveil Spectres all day.

suicidesteve posted:

Because he's the closest thing to Juzam Djinn they've printed in years, that's why! I really want to try this deck out. Anything that lets me play him and Agent of Fates has to be good. After yesterday's attempt at 2 FNMs, I need to do something different. 5 rounds of creature screw and one round of mana screw, in a deck with 15 big threat creatures which never actually loses, and everyone playing netdecked control decks. So I guess the question is how does the deck do against control?

It's a very fun deck. The control Matchup is doable. Side in your Duress, your extra two Hero's Downfall, and keep your eye gouges in (Because Control loves mutavault beats) Try to land an underworld connections to keep up with their ability to draw cards. Use as much hand disruption as possible and try to just punch in for as long as you can. And if they still manage to make it to the long game, that's when you start the Gray Merchant power train..

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

This really sucks. In the future I'd put down a spare card for my opponent if they did that. I don't really get people that don't have tokens or token like replacement cards when they know their deck needs them.

I have about 40 tokens in my fat pack case I put my decks in. I have at least one of each standard legal token for this reason

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Just finished winning a match I should have been destroyed in against one of the dumbest opponents I've ever seen. He had a 6/6 hydra, some other 3 toughness guys, and an activated karametra out. I had a bunch of weaker junk on the ground, and the only flyer (1 power). He clearly should have just went in for the bloodbath attack, but he kept holding back because I had a 6/3 guy so I guess his hydra would die? Even if he was afraid I might deactivate his God, he wouldn't even attack with just his indestructible God to start clearing away my blockers 1 at a time.

We're both close to 20 life, I start pinging away in the air. I have no cards, every turn I draw land or some weak creature and usually play it so I can have more chump blocking when he inevitably comes to his senses. I even have that one green rare that has my top card face up so not only do I not have a trick, he knows my next draw every turn.

No attacks, he keeps passing the turn, I keep pinging away with my flyer. I eventually give my flyer some pants and start chopping away at his life 4 life at a time. 3 or 4 turns later I finally have lethal in the air for my next turn, and he concedes before his next turn. He missed at least 7 attacks with his God.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 15, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Northjayhawk posted:

Just finished winning a match I should have been destroyed in against one of the dumbest opponents I've ever seen. He had a 6/6 hydra, some other 3 toughness guys, and an activated karametra out. I had a bunch of weaker junk on the ground, and the only flyer (1 power). He clearly should have just went in for the bloodbath attack, but he kept holding back because I had a 6/3 guy so I guess his hydra would die? He wouldn't even attack with just his indestructible God to start clearing away my blockers, assuming he was afraid I'd somehow deactivate it.

We're both close to 20 life, I start pinging away in the air. I have no cards, every turn I draw land or some weak creature and usually play it so I can have more chump blocking when he inevitably comes to his senses. I even have that one green rare that has my top card face up so not only do I not have a trick, he knows my next draw every turn.

No attacks, he keeps passing the turn, I keep pinging away with my flyer. I eventually give my flyer some pants and start chopping away at his life 4 life at a time. 3 or 4 turns later I finally have lethal in the air for my next turn, and he concedes before his next turn. He missed at least 7 attacks with his God.

This is why you don't scoop. In Modern on Tuesday I was palying UWr against UR Faeries. I should win easily, but game 2 and 3 he stuck a blood moon. Game 3 I had a Thundermaw Hellkite in hand, though....but he had a Sword of Ice and Fire on his Spellstutter Sprite. We were racing for a few turns, I actually would win if I drew ANY burn spell but he was ahead....and then he suddenly stopped attacking :psyduck:. He wins as long as I don't draw burn, but he stopped swinging and gave me an extra six turns to draw one of my four Lightning Bolts or four Path to Exile (I did have my basic plains out).

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This is why you don't scoop. In Modern on Tuesday I was palying UWr against UR Faeries. I should win easily, but game 2 and 3 he stuck a blood moon. Game 3 I had a Thundermaw Hellkite in hand, though....but he had a Sword of Ice and Fire on his Spellstutter Sprite. We were racing for a few turns, I actually would win if I drew ANY burn spell but he was ahead....and then he suddenly stopped attacking :psyduck:. He wins as long as I don't draw burn, but he stopped swinging and gave me an extra six turns to draw one of my four Lightning Bolts or four Path to Exile (I did have my basic plains out).

I started living the never concede life fairly recently, and this is the first time I've stolen a victory in a board state that looked utterly hopeless. If I know I'll lose and its game 1 against a smart opponent, I might choose not to play a key trick 1 turn away from death so he doesn't see it, but I'll still play it out. Even before today, I've had several matches where I still ultimately lost, but my opponent gave me several extra turns where I really did have some outs (like sea God's revenge) that I could have drawn while he was patiently setting up the perfect flashy attack instead of just ending me quickly.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
So I finally made a Commander video featuring Zedruu. I do some pretty entertaining things in this vid, so it kind of shows off what it is possible to do while playing.

Since it was just uploaded, you may want to wait a little bit. It has to process the higher quality so you can actually read the cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RuA4WJNU3s

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Shgdsnag STOP.

This is becoming a very serious problem!

I don't even have the components for RG. I DON'T EVEN HAVE STOMPING GROUNDS.

:negative:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Shgdsnag STOP.

Hey. You don't want those Xenagos, I'll gladly take them off your hands.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Count Bleck posted:

Shgdsnag STOP.

Hey man just sell em and the other goodstuff you opened so you can BUY Stomping Grounds! :downs:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mezzanon posted:

But these are just my opinion. What's the meta like in Calgary right now???

It's half decks that utterly stomp Rakdos Aggro and Murdergoats and half decks that fold completely. I'm tempted to switch to Maze's End, but then I'm just losing to a different set of decks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Northjayhawk posted:

I started living the never concede life fairly recently

I had one of these today, and it also doubles as an "EDH simultaneously rules and sucks" story: I was at my LGS's monthly EDH grand melee (everyone sits in a circle, you can only affect the people next to you, multiple turns are happening at once in non-overlapping spots), and one dude has his Rhys Elfball deck which make thousands of tokens very quickly. I'm about to be in his sphere of influence (running my Sisay deck), so I tutor up Mindslaver and pop it against him so that I can send him the other way for a turn (or sac his entire board to...something).

Right before I'd take Rhys-guy's turn, the guy right before him starts digging like a madman for an answer. In these melees there's a rule that stops all "infinite" combos at 3 iterations, but this guy (Azami) takes a 20-minute turn doing what's technically not an infinite combo, but might as well be, and he eventually Blue Sun's Zeniths Rhys-guy for his whole deck, so on next draw he's out despite having 17000 life and about as many tokens. At this point everyone there is just giving Azami-guy the shittiest looks for breaking the spirit of the rule and being kind of obnoxious about it in the process.

"I" untap, and on my upkeep I sac Nissa's Chosen to the Eldrazi Monument "I" had in play :frogc00l: Needless to say I squished Azami guy (to a few cheers around the table), and then I turned the machine on myself because the store owner said he'd give me a pack if I killed myself as another player. And because another dude at the table had Mindslaver'd me and was going to take my next turn :shepface: So never concede, and also read what cards your opponents actually have in play because Azami-guy had plenty of chances to get Chosen out of play when digging for that USZ. Fun day all around, I even came out ahead because I made double my registration fee in the cards from my prize packs :toot:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 16, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

C-Euro posted:

EDH grand melee

This sounds simultaneously awesome and like something I'd never even fathom wanting to participate in.

edit: when you say you can only affect people next to you, I get what that means for targeted effects and attacking, but does that also mean that global effects or wraths only affect your neighbors, too? seems like the only way it would make sense for there to be simultaneous non-overlapping turns happening at once, but also just seems...weird...maybe because I've never done it :shrug:

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 16, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

En Fuego posted:

So I finally made a Commander video featuring Zedruu. I do some pretty entertaining things in this vid, so it kind of shows off what it is possible to do while playing.

Since it was just uploaded, you may want to wait a little bit. It has to process the higher quality so you can actually read the cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RuA4WJNU3s

Early on, why do people tap out all their mana sources at the end of their turns? Is there some common card they're playing around?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

If you get multiple combat steps (hellkite charger, Aurelia, Godo, etc) and manage to finish someone off and still have on left, does the next person in line become a valid target? This sounds interesting and I might suggest it at my LGS.

Sen-dart
Oct 9, 2012

Devor posted:

Early on, why do people tap out all their mana sources at the end of their turns? Is there some common card they're playing around?

It's so they can f8 though other people's turns saving time, if you have open mana modo assumes you might want to respond to everything everyone else does.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boxn posted:

Hey man just sell em and the other goodstuff you opened so you can BUY Stomping Grounds! :downs:

The funny part about this particular Xenagod is that I bought one for myself and one for my coworker because I didn't know it was his birthday about a week ago and he's been bugging me as a joke. He got Hero's Podium :haw:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mezzanon posted:

I am also probably going to build up a Golgari Aggro or Midrange list in the near future. Mostly because I want to drop a Sylvan Caryatid, while my oipponent has multiple Sylvan Caryatids, and then Bile Blight my own Sylvan Caryatid to kill all the Caryatids, mine and my opponents alike.

Yeah, this deck is that ruined my day yesterday and convinced me to stop playing standard and stick with Legacy on Fridays. I got creature screwed in almost every game I played, mana screwed in a few, and removal-screwed in the rest. In 7 rounds of mostly 3 game matches, I had maybe 4 good games. It's never lost in casual playtesting.

Mezzanon posted:

It's a very fun deck. The control Matchup is doable. Side in your Duress, your extra two Hero's Downfall, and keep your eye gouges in (Because Control loves mutavault beats) Try to land an underworld connections to keep up with their ability to draw cards. Use as much hand disruption as possible and try to just punch in for as long as you can. And if they still manage to make it to the long game, that's when you start the Gray Merchant power train..

Sounds awesome. I'll definitely try it out. It has my favorite 2 Born of the Gods cards (Eye Gouge and mini-Juzam) and my favorite Theros card (Agent of the Fates.)

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Playing at an event. Do Pack Rat tokens have the ability and count for devotion?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

OssiansFolly posted:

Playing at an event. Do Pack Rat tokens have the ability and count for devotion?

Yes.

They count as exact copies of Pack Rat.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OssiansFolly posted:

Yes. Pack Rat tokens are a complete copy of the Pack Rat that created them.

The card would be way less obnoxious if they were just */* Rats.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

This is true, but it also makes for some of the actual funniest footage.

If you don't believe me, I dare you to find official footage funnier than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0MiChxECoc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

MiddleEastBeast posted:

This sounds simultaneously awesome and like something I'd never even fathom wanting to participate in.

edit: when you say you can only affect people next to you, I get what that means for targeted effects and attacking, but does that also mean that global effects or wraths only affect your neighbors, too? seems like the only way it would make sense for there to be simultaneous non-overlapping turns happening at once, but also just seems...weird...maybe because I've never done it :shrug:

You only affect the people sitting next to you, so if I Wrath the people immediately on my left and right lose their creatures, but no one else does. That might leave a nice hole for the guys sitting two spots away though! While he can't see me, he sees what I do to the player between us.

As for multiple combat steps, I believe it's that you can only take out two opponents in one turn, and/or if you eliminate someone you don't "see" the person on the other side of that player until the turn passes. I can post a better write-up tonight, it's a little tough to explain on my phone.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 16, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Right before I'd take Rhys-guy's turn, the guy right before him starts digging like a madman for an answer. In these melees there's a rule that stops all "infinite" combos at 3 iterations, but this guy (Azami) takes a 20-minute turn doing what's technically not an infinite combo, but might as well be, and he eventually Blue Sun's Zeniths Rhys-guy for his whole deck, so on next draw he's out despite having 17000 life and about as many tokens.

Uh, couldn't he have just made him draw one more card and killed him there? The rule is if you lose if you have to draw a card that's not there, not only if you can't draw on your draw step, right?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

suicidesteve posted:

Uh, couldn't he have just made him draw one more card and killed him there? The rule is if you lose if you have to draw a card that's not there, not only if you can't draw on your draw step, right?

Yeah, but sometimes dumb people love to show off.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Finally got to play my rebuilt Krenko EDH deck today. Started comboing off turn four, turn five I had about 100 hasty 2/2 tokens, turn six I topdecked Coat of Arms. :getin:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I had a complete loving brainfart-a-thon today and it probably cost me finishing top 16 at worst in a 2500k prizepool tourney.

I'm 4-0 going into the 5th match against some kind of Bant Control Shell and playing MonoU. G1 I overwhelm him, G2 I'm winning on board but i haven't hit a master yet and he hits a mistcutter for 7. I have no answer (because brainfart 1 was not boarding any ratchet bombs) and was dead in three turns. G3 he hits a mistcutter turn 5 for 4 and Kills my slow hand with no master. So i'm 4-1.

Next match against MonoB I draw a NUT hand but accidently draw 8 cards (brainfart 2) Have go to 6 and have no land. My 5 card hand: Island Master Thassa Thassa Thassa. I lose.
Next game i have to go to 6 and have a decent hand but get Thoughtsiezed T1 and T2 and lose. 4-2

Last round I lose against BW control.

FML. Good day completely ruined.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

mcmagic posted:

Next match against MonoB I draw a NUT hand but accidently draw 8 cards (brainfart 2) Have go to 6 and have no land. My 5 card hand: Island Master Thassa Thassa Thassa. I lose.
Mulling to 4 is utter poo poo but I would have considered it over keeping that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Mulling to 4 is utter poo poo but I would have considered it over keeping that.

Yeah. After the game I thought i should've done that but against a sieze deck thats an auto loss pretty much anyway.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 16, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Yeah, but sometimes dumb people love to show off.

This was probably it TBH, he had done a ton of other stuff that turn (like clone a Palinchron with a kicked Rite of Replication, the Snapcaster it back cloning Snapcaster five times for...something) and I don't know if it was in service to USZ or if that card was his backup plan.

Alright, here's the rules as I understand/remember them for those grand melees-

1. Everyone sits in one big circle. You win a pack for each player that you eliminate either by killing the normal ways, or if they concede as a direct result of some action you take. and if you concede "you" stay in the game as a gimme (you can't do anything but your life total remains, and whoever takes that total to 0 gets the KO and the pack)

2. Players can only affect and be affected by the people directly to their right or left. If I Wrath, the dude across the table keeps his creatures unless he is "adjacent" in terms of people that are in the game. You cannot move outside your sphere of influence unless you are "pulled" beyond it. I'm a little fuzzy on what this means, but I know one example of this is that if a guy two spots from me Wraths I cannot respond to the Wrath, but if the player in between Wrath-guy and myself responds to the Wrath, I can respond in turn to whatever in-between-guy does. E: Static effects that you control also only work within your sphere (so if I have Gaddock Teeg in play, it only restricts the people in my sphere). A player who has conceded is still in the game for the purpose of spheres of influence, but nothing happens on their turn. Also, spheres do not change until the next turn, meaning that if I kill the guy on my right, I don't see the person on his right until the turn ends.

3. Turns are taken simultaneously at different parts of the table. In the interest of speeding things along, for example in a 16-person game four people are taking their turns at the same time. However, they are spaced far enough apart in the circle that they can't see one another and they don't overlap. My LGS has rectangular cardboxes they use for this; lay the box in front of you while it's your turn then stand it up in between you and the next player when you're passing the turn. When all boxes are standing, turn is passed and the next players lay their box down and the cycle continues. As people are eliminated, boxes are taken off the table to keep appropriate spacing. Sometimes this means one box doesn't move for a turn while the others do, other times someone has to skip a turn (but they usually make it so that someone who already has a prize pack or two loses a turn). Also, I don't think extra turns can be taken just to save headaches.

4. There are a couple store-specific rules to make things more fair and sensible:
-All infinite combos stop at 3 iterations.
-You can't run both Nevinyrral's Disk and Darksteel Forge in the same deck.
-You can't run Abyssal Persecutor since the other players in your sphere would simply ignore you.
-Turns are automatically passed after five minutes. If you do stuff at the end of the turn right before yours ("at EOT, I'll Top" for example) that counts towards your time.

I'm sure there are a couple details I missed but that's the general gist of it, the format's a lot of fun though it can be a bit tough to follow at first. Just think of it as a three-player EDH game where your opponents gang up on you, but where they in turn are also being ganged up upon. I can post a couple pictures tomorrow of how turns get passed around and such, if there's interest and when I'm not so tired.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 9, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I would take out the insatiable harpys and deathgaze cockatrice when you can and replace them with tormented heroes, you have way too much stuff in the 4cmc area and it will slow you down a lot. I would also take out read the bones and depend on underworld connections for your extra draws, throw some more land in there. Replace those ordeals when you get the chance too but thats ok since they were out of gift of orzhava. Cant do much more for now than what your shop has available! Looks like you made out cheap and you can always finish off the rest later.

so this is what I ended up playing with. I went 0-4 against my friends blue/white hidden strings, aqueous form, heroic hoplite, gods willing, detention sphere, bullshit-train.

needless to say I need to make some adjustments and practice this deck some more but it definitely felt like it's shaping up to be a lot of fun.

1x Erebos, God of the Dead
2x Herald of Torment
1x Erebos's Emissary
4x Gray Merchant of Asphodel
4x Pack Rat
3x Agent of the Fates
1x Insatiable Harpy
4x Tormented Hero

2x Eye Gouge
3x Pharika's Cure
3x Duress
3x Doom Blade
2x Read the Bones
2x Underworld Connections
2x Ordeal of Erebos
2x Whip of Erebos

21x Swamp
1x Nykthos

So I think maybe it's time to pick up some desecration demons and maybe some thoughtseizes when I get a chance.

I opened up a Brimaz so hopefully I can trade him in for some desecrations or something.

The first game I ended up getting mana screwed w/ 4 gray merchant's in my hand and only 4 mana in play by the time I died

the second game I had like 7 mana in play but not any creatures

one of the other games I ended up getting him down to 4 health with only 2 swamps out using tormented heroes before he was able to take them out and kill me in just a few turns.

So what am I doing wrong other than just needing to practice this deck more and adding a few more land to it? maybe it's just built improperly against his blue/white heroic hidden strings

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
You should be winning against that deck tbh, unless he gets lucky running a lot of mizzium skin you should be able to board in enough removal. Heroic dies pretty bad to black removal- doom blades, heros downfall, pharikas cure while they're still little, etc. Try making you a sideboard and adding some more removal if you keep losing, and crib notes from the long post about the aggro agents deck a few pages back. The "real" monoblack runs desc demons but the agents version doesn't. You could always get some and start shifting towards a monoblack devotion deck I guess but ideally you should be able to go even with your friend's deck with what you have. Was there one particular thing he was doing that was winning him games?

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

C-Euro posted:

I saw that the other day. This is going to out me as a horrible nerd but I took my girlfriend out to a really nice dinner last night, and afterwords the first thought that popped into my head "drat, that entire meal cost about as much as two Ports, what the gently caress kind of world do we live in?"

E: Jesus H the TCGPlayer average is $118 now :negative: Was it always so sought-after when it first got printed? I noticed it's banned in Block Constructed, for what little that means today.

The only upside to my precious legacy goblins deck being utter poo poo in the current meta is that the 4x wastelands and 4x rishadan ports are worth like $800 now.

So, I guess I 'win'.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Anyone else like modern but just get frustrated by the insanity of pricing? Cryptic command is a $40 card now apparently.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

jassi007 posted:

Anyone else like modern but just get frustrated by the insanity of pricing? Cryptic command is a $40 card now apparently.

Agreed. I had to get two Hierarchs to replace DRS in Pod. Ridiculous for just a mana dork.

Sad to say it's driving me to Legacy...if I'm going to be spending Legacy money anyway, why not.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

jassi007 posted:

I'm way more annoyed when a standard card is more than $5, it's a mediocre format and 90% of that 300 dollar standard deck is worthless a year later.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Complaining about a standard card being more then 5 bucks is really funny to me, since i started playing when return to mirrodin block happened

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Stinky Pit posted:

I'm way more annoyed when a standard card is more than $5, it's a mediocre format and 90% of that 300 dollar standard deck is worthless a year later.

:stare:

Even planeswalkers and poo poo? Even I don't expect hot dollar Standard cards to only be $5 ($15-20 would be reasonable for poo poo like good mythics).

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Sad to say it's driving me to Legacy...if I'm going to be spending Legacy money anyway, why not.

I have some bad news for you if you want to play anything with nonbasic lands in it. Trust me, you aren't spending Legacy money yet.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Grand Prix Paris top 8:

Miracles
Miracles
Miracles
BUG Delver
BUG Delver
BUG Delver
Reanimator
Painter

BUG Delver won in the finals against Miracles.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

JerryLee posted:

I have some bad news for you if you want to play anything with nonbasic lands in it. Trust me, you aren't spending Legacy money yet.

It's not all that terrible by comparison anymore. I'm not saying they're equal, but when you're already blowing over a grand on Modern when your deck might get shut down by a ban, it's not a huge stretch to switch to Legacy (example comparison: UWr in Modern is like $1200, Sneak and Show is $1800...not that huge a difference). Especially when you have multiple Modern decks you can combine into one Legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Pharohman777 posted:

Grand Prix Paris top 8:

Miracles
Miracles
Miracles
BUG Delver
BUG Delver
BUG Delver
Reanimator
Painter

BUG Delver won in the finals against Miracles.
Miracles player only lost in the finals, his other "loss" was a concede to a friend. 17-1 is really good for a deck he's been playing for the past two years.

• Locked thread