Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Slate Action posted:

To be honest, for getting through the game Pidgeot isn't even the best Route 1 Pokemon; Raticate has similar Attack and Speed and can learn nearly every TM. Additionally, Ratatta gets the ridiculously overpowered Hyper Fang at level 14.

Aren't they both level 13 right now? Get hype for Hyper Fang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Remember when the timer was at 1d 11h, we had 3000 viewers, and we just got out of Mt. Moon? Those were the days. The next 24 hours were spent in and around cerulean.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Krad posted:

Final Fantasy 6 on Wait mode. In fact, I think there was a stream trying it out already.

The problem with that is that you lose all unsaved progress if you die, and you can't save at will like in Pokemon. Of course, given how compulsively this group saves, just being able to save on the overworld means they might not lose too much progress on death.

Of course, the other problem is that death kicks you back to the title screen, so they'd need to get it together to select their save and not continually start new games.

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.
I thought 6 was the Final Fantasy where death took you straight back to the last save point (even if you were say at the end of the game and your last save was at the start) with exp intact, possibly more?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

divide by zero posted:

I thought 6 was the Final Fantasy where death took you straight back to the last save point (even if you were say at the end of the game and your last save was at the start) with exp intact, possibly more?

Is it? I may be thinking of Chrono Trigger, then.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

divide by zero posted:

It is, yes. It'd still be basically impossible due to all of the random battles (and possibly even just Whelk, considering its mechanic).

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I think it's the 20-40s delay that's killing it mostly, yeah there are plenty of trolls, but the sheer amount of over compensating really hurts on parts that require precise control. Is the the stream delay hard coded into twitch?

Edit: Thinking about it the Pokémon trading card game on GBC would be perfect for this style of thing!

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
The only game I can think of that could even compare is the original Dragon Quest and even that's iffy because that's a ton of grinding needed and I can't imagine the chat coordinating well enough to buy things from the shop, assuming they could hold onto money long enough to use anything. The later games would be even worse because only the lead character comes back to life after a game over. At least pokemon teams work out of the box, no items needed. And fixing them up is free.

Also you wouldn't get nearly as many viewers. :colbert:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Cyberventurer posted:

Also you wouldn't get nearly as many viewers. :colbert:
Yeah, one of the reasons that this is so popular is that most people can relate to pokemon.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
did he put the TM back in? I saw tm30 in the inventory again. Or did we throw another one?

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
I'm absolutely baffled that Charmeleon evolved. How did they get through all the people mashing B?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Vermain posted:

It is, yes. It'd still be basically impossible due to all of the random battles (and possibly even just Whelk, considering its mechanic).

Trying to do a limit break against Vargas lol

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Volcano Style posted:

I'm absolutely baffled that Charmeleon evolved. How did they get through all the people mashing B?

You have to hold down B. So its impossible to stop an evolution because the game is just registering a bunch of quick button presses.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

What about a relatively simple game like Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest? I honestly can't remember if the static encounters respawn or not.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Volcano Style posted:

30 second time delay. Evolution can legit happen, assuming trolls don't get wise.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I think you need to hold B down for a while to stop evolutions, so there would have to be several B presses in a row which is pretty unlikely.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

NeuroticLich posted:

There is Twitch plays Pokemon plays Tetris going on as well, which is playing based on inputs for the first stream.

The chat in this channel is also a lot quieter than the main Twitch Plays Pokemon, for what it's worth. Plus you can still view the in-game screen.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Volcano Style posted:

The input is so slow that by the time people noticed the evolution starting, it was over.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The tree is actively trying to destroy us by bringing down the stream.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
wonder how long this will take...

AAAAaand we're stuck in the pokedex.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Someone suggested Dragon's Lair, that one might be doable, because some versions only listen for the right input and don't even regard the wrong inputs.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

How about Twitch plays Punch-out!! theres just enough legroom you could end up hitting the opponent at its sweetspot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
30 hours after I last looked and they're still stuck in Cerulean City?

Also, the number of viewers just keeps increasing? People aren't getting tired of it yet? Has there been any time (like, 4 AM) when the number of viewers actually decreased?

I hope some massive sperglord is keeping a diary of all the important events and when they happened.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

How about Twitch plays Punch-out!! theres just enough legroom you could end up hitting the opponent at its sweetspot.

I think nethack would be doable.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

precision posted:

Also, the number of viewers just keeps increasing? People aren't getting tired of it yet? Has there been any time (like, 4 AM) when the number of viewers actually decreased?

I hope some massive sperglord is keeping a diary of all the important events and when they happened.
You have missed so much action (and a lot of ledgejumping)

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Really, I'm just surprised they managed to name their Farfetch'd DUX.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

That is because it's a traded pokemon. :v: Traded Pokemon get a name already attached to them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

They traded with an NPC for it (still impressive in its own right), it came with that name.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

precision posted:

We got out of Cerulean in order to spend several hours trying not to jump over a ledge only to get sent back to cerulean by a :smug:dude anyway.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

It was from an in-game trade (the only way to get a Farfetch'd) that's always named DUX.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

They traded with an NPC for it (still impressive in its own right), it came with that name.

It's still really hard to beat ABBBBBK ( or loving Jay Leno the Rattata.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

precision posted:

Around noon PST the viewers dipped from 22k to 18.9k for around an hour, before going back up to 21k by 3pm.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Baron O Beefdip posted:

We got out of Cerulean in order to spend several hours trying not to jump over a ledge only to get sent back to cerulean by a :smug:dude anyway.

:smug: dude?

More like the meanest goddamn menacing trainer ever. Dude was too happy to kill Pidgeotto off. The bastard.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Have they been able to use a skill HM skill yet?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They got Cut onto Charmeleon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I think nethack would be doable.
I'm thinking a pinball game could work too because there's never any moment people wouldn't be spamming the flipper buttons, so there's no worry about delay.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

pentyne posted:

They've had some very efficient Cuts actually.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

pentyne posted:

They used it the first time we got past the tree. Now we have to duplicate the results.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is it normal for motor skills to degrade after wathcing this for a few hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The guy running it must hate money, because all he would have to do is make the chat sub-only for an hour and he'd make literally about $50k. I'm impressed that he's managed to resist that temptation.

• Locked thread