Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

a cock shaped fruit posted:

For those that care, I managed to contact the person who made TwitchPlaysPokemon

Should inform them that there are people begging for subscriber emotes for 'helix fossil' and 'dux'. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This Twitch Plays Pokemon idea is extremely dumb. It just goes in a circle over and over or keeps jumping off ledges because the internet ruins everything fun.

Edit: The RNG Plays Pokemon is far more interesting. ITS AT BROCK!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I see that RNG Bot managed to cancel Charmander's evolution at Level 16. That doesn't bode well.

e: unless he levelled up in a fight which he eventually lost...in which case I think you don't get the evolution?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I bet out of those 26,000 people there's at least one fun hating person who's just running a bot to spam the down button every 25 seconds, not even watching the stream.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Law posted:

Alright you're gonna have to explain. Preferably in gif form.

I only have it in Youtube flavour, sorry.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kirios posted:

This Twitch Plays Pokemon idea is extremely dumb. It just goes in a circle over and over or keeps jumping off ledges because the internet ruins everything fun.

Edit: The RNG Plays Pokemon is far more interesting. ITS AT BROCK!

So? :colbert: The twitch already has like 3 badges jerk. :colbert:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Should inform them that there are people begging for subscriber emotes for 'helix fossil' and 'dux'. :v:

Can't do copywright stuff as subscriber emotes.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Nition posted:

I bet out of those 26,000 people there's at least one fun hating person who's just running a bot to spam the down button every 25 seconds, not even watching the stream.

Hence why the RNG is far, far superior to the Twitch Plays Pokemon one. Honestly, it's pretty much unwatchable other than maybe checking on it every 12-24 hours to see if it's moved a screen or two:

Spoilers: It hasn't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nition posted:

There are actually likely dozens of people doing that. Out of 26,000 there are probably maybe half that chatting and maybe a third of that number do not want to see Red-bot succeed at basic ledge traversal at any cost.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
RNG made it to Brock three times so far. It will pass the turing test before the crowd in the other one does :allears:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Personally, seeing a random number generator "play" a game isn't nearly as interesting as watching thousands of internet people slap each other in the face repeatedly.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

It doesn't even have to be people doing it on purpose, although I definitely know some people are (because I am :v:) but a lot of people probably don't realize how big the delay is and are typing down when the character actually has to move that way, only to have it actually go through when it doesn't

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Kirios posted:

Hence why the RNG is far, far superior to the Twitch Plays Pokemon one. Honestly, it's pretty much unwatchable other than maybe checking on it every 12-24 hours to see if it's moved a screen or two:

You just came in at the wrong time you big fun sponge. We were making crazy progress before this one part and as soon as we get past we'll be right back on track.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hopeford posted:

RNG made it to Brock three times so far. It will pass the turing test before the crowd in the other one does :allears:
Honestly it would have beaten Brock by now if it was able to chain Embers instead of Leer and Scratch.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Law posted:

You just came in at the wrong time you big fun sponge. We were making crazy progress before this one part and as soon as we get past we'll be right back on track.

The more and more popular it gets the more people you're going to have on the stream troll the ever living gently caress out of it. This appears to have already happened.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kirios posted:

The more and more popular it gets the more people you're going to have on the stream troll the ever living gently caress out of it. This appears to have already happened.

Yes, that's true. Progress is still feasible regardless. :geno:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kirios posted:

Honestly, while there are some big sticking points like the ledge which is pretty much perfectly designed to be incredibly difficult for this, Twitch Plays Pokemon can make pretty good progress in places. There's just something about that slow drag towards progress that's amazing. After all, we've already made it past the ledge once; next time we should be able to beat both remaining trainers and drag ourselves to the next pokecenter.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Law posted:

Right after this is a dark cave we have no way to light up. I'm afraid Red bot is going to be on this route for a long, long time.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't like being the negative one in the thread, but some form of progress needs to be made here...this is unwatchable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pokemon has officially eclipsed the Hearthstone channel by about 4k. The 2nd most popular game on twitch doesn't even have a poster.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Kirios posted:

I don't like being the negative one in the thread, but some form of progress needs to be made here...this is unwatchable.

Well, please stick around and tell us how much you don't want to watch it some more.

TPP is fun because of the human element. I have no idea why you'd want to watch an RNG bot, and honestly the bot is progressing at about the same rate as TPP, look forward to it stalling at the same spots.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 16, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kirios posted:

Think of it like evolution. It takes a ridiculous amount of time for any noticeable change to take hold, but if you look away for a million years and come back, HOLY poo poo THOSE THINGS HAVE LEGS NOW HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

precision posted:

Think of it like evolution. It takes a ridiculous amount of time for any noticeable change to take hold, but if you look away for a million years and come back, HOLY poo poo THOSE THINGS HAVE LEGS NOW HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

I suppose if you look at these sort of things on a macro level it would be amusing to check in on it once a week and see where the bot / input script is at.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

precision posted:

Except instead of trying to grow legs and walk around it's actively trying to remove it's own legs and grow gills.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

For all intents and purposes, the crowd is basically a random button generator anyway. If you put 5 RNG videos next to the real one, I doubt you would be able to pick it out.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 16, 2014

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Kirios posted:

I was watching when there were 2k people on the stream, people were still trolling the gently caress out of it. It's pretty obvious this kind of thing isn't something you're ever going to enjoy, don't force yourself to watch it

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

drunken officeparty posted:

For all intents and purposes, the crowd is basically a random button generator anyway. If you put 5 RNG videos next to the real one, I doubt you would be able to pick it out.

It really isn't. It may look like it, but the inputs are mostly goal focused, with a few trolls, all delayed by half a minute or more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Magic Underwear posted:

It really isn't. It may look like it, but the inputs are mostly goal focused, with a few trolls, all delayed by half a minute or more.

The RNGPlaysPokemon is also progressing at a much faster rate than the TwitchPlays one, so that would seem to indicate that either the trolls far outnumber people trying to progress, or the attempt to progress is actually making things worse, or both.

(It's both.)

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
If anyone is still thinking about making a bot to spam the voice of all commands being input, I made these .wav files of all gameboy inputs earlier today with the intent of making said bot. Then I went out and got drunk and figured that would be dumb.

So if anyone is sober and dumb, feel free to use those.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

precision posted:

The RNGPlaysPokemon is also progressing at a much faster rate than the TwitchPlays one, so that would seem to indicate that either the trolls far outnumber people trying to progress, or the attempt to progress is actually making things worse, or both.

(It's both.)

I don't think you can say this until the RNG version has made it past this ledge.

Nition fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 16, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RNG is so close to beating Brock, it keeps falling one Ember short.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quest For Glory II posted:

RNG is so close to beating Brock, it keeps falling one Ember short.

How does it keep on reaching the gym? This RNG's suspicious.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

How does it keep on reaching the gym? This RNG's suspicious.

Almost every time it's gone there has been because it was led to the general area by the "you can't leave town til you beat Brock!" kid. Red-bot is led there, wanders around for a bit, and then eventually meanders inside.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CJacobs posted:

Almost every time it's gone there has been because it was led to the general area by the "you can't leave town til you beat Brock!" kid. Red-bot is led there, wanders around for a bit, and then eventually meanders inside.

So after this town, the bot's doomed?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AN RNG BOT HAS WON A BADGE!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

So after this town, the bot's doomed?

Yeah, pretty much. Gotta have faith anyway though! :buddy:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RNG bot will never evolve a pokemon though because it will always press B.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
If there are eight possible buttons (up/down/left/right/a/b/select/start) and the RNG needs to press right 12 times in a row to get past the ledge, and it gives input once a second (since inputs are ignored while you're walking between tiles), it should take on average over a thousand years.

I don't think a RNG is going to be as good as Twitch chat.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
The little robot that could :allears:

It will probably never get to Misty, but that was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Quest For Glory II posted:

AN RNG BOT HAS WON A BADGE!!!

A rigged RNG bot. :geno:

• Locked thread