Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Northwestern sticker or Loyola Chicago for 8k/year? She plans on staying in Chicago and doesn't want to work in biglaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Direwolf posted:

Northwestern sticker or Loyola Chicago for 8k/year? She plans on staying in Chicago and doesn't want to work in biglaw.

I don't want to play for the Miami Heat either.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

I don't want to play for the Miami Heat either.

About 50% of Northwestern grads are picked up by biglaw firms.

Edit: And at Layola, that number is only 10%. Northwestern is basically a biglaw pipeline and Layola is a pipeline to the ominous "other employment" category. If she doesn't want to do biglaw but does want to practice law (what kind of law?) then neither are good options, but avoid Layola like the plague.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 16, 2014

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah there is absolutely no reason to attend Loyola. I graduated from there in 08 and outside of the lucky few to make it to biglaw everyone else is screwed.

In 08 a lot of folks were able to go to public interest jobs like state public defenders, but by 09 all the new hires had flipped from Depaul/Kent/Loyola to UChicago and Northwestern.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Direwolf posted:

Don't go, but Northwestern is much more likely to get her a reasonable paying job that isn't biglaw. Loyola is a pipeline to doc review or worse.

I hope "not big law" is not "panda law."

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
It's not panda law, I'm pretty sure, but she's just really wary of the debt. She's worked as a paralegal at a small firm here for the past year and a half and I think that's what she has envisioned - I think Northwestern sticker is the better deal, worst case she can suffer some biglaw to knock out the debt and lateral somewhere she actually wants to be (and I went there) but I wanted to hear from someone who went there to confirm.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Direwolf posted:

worst case she can suffer some biglaw to knock out the debt and lateral somewhere she actually wants to be

This is a hundred steps up from the worst case.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Loyola student spotted:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/chi/4206407056.html

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Direwolf posted:

It's not panda law, I'm pretty sure, but she's just really wary of the debt. She's worked as a paralegal at a small firm here for the past year and a half and I think that's what she has envisioned - I think Northwestern sticker is the better deal, worst case she can suffer some biglaw to knock out the debt and lateral somewhere she actually wants to be (and I went there) but I wanted to hear from someone who went there to confirm.

She's not thinking about what it actually costs to attend Loyola. I had a half ride there so my tuition was something like $14k a year, but the cost of living in Chicago is enormous. Even if you live with roommates in a crappy apartment, don't go out very much, and work during school (all things I did) you'll still end up with oodles of debt and no reasonable way to pay it off. NU is a million times better - either go to biglaw and pay the debt off fast, or go to public interest law and PAYE for 10 years. Way better than going to Loyola and finding yourself 50k, if you're lucky, in a field without debt forgiveness.

And of course, the teachers and administration at Loyola suck and have no interest whatsoever in helping you find employment. It was bad pre-08, I can't imagine it now.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

mastershakeman posted:

NU is a million times better - either go to biglaw and pay the debt off fast, or go to public interest law and PAYE for 10 years. Way better than going to Loyola and finding yourself 50k, if you're lucky, in a field without debt forgiveness.

I chose a full-price T14 over a full scholarship to a T2-3 and I don't regret it. The career opportunities are worth the money.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Direwolf posted:

Don't go, but definitely don't go to Loyola.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

She's not thinking about what it actually costs to attend Loyola. I had a half ride there so my tuition was something like $14k a year, but the cost of living in Chicago is enormous.

Don't forget the opportunity cost of wasting three years of your life not working and coming out the other end less employable than when you started :science:

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Swingline posted:

Don't forget the opportunity cost of wasting three years of your life not working and coming out the other end less employable than when you started :science:

you mean three years of learning to think like a lawyer

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Tetrix posted:

you mean three years of learning to drink like a lawyer

Well, it's not all bad.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

quepasa18 posted:

Does anyone know how ten-year forgiveness works when you're on a 30-year payment plan? I don't qualify for IBR. I'm getting the impression that because I'm not on IBR and because I'm making lower payments than the standard 10-year repayment plan, I don't qualify for the forgiveness.

Once my husband's loans enter repayment we'll qualify for IBR then. But I'd rather be three years into the ten now rather than waiting for them to start.

You're right that the time you spend on a non-IBR (or the newfangled "Pay As You Earn" plan, which I know nothing about because it came into existence too late to benefit me) doesn't count towards ten-year forgiveness, but you're probably wrong about not qualifying for IBR. If IBR would have you paying less per month than 10-year standard repayment, then you qualify for IBR, period.

Unless your loans are of the type that don't qualify for IBR/PSLF, in which case yeah, you're hosed.

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA
Sep 6, 2010
Got into UCLA, likely paying sticker price or near there. Next best offer is from Cardozo Law with a full ride. I'm from NYC, no undergraduate student debt, and parents are willing to help out in the realm of 20k/year for law school no matter where I go. Waiting on some other responses from t14 (and other) schools, but I applied pretty late and am not holding my breath for it. Leaning towards pulling the trigger on UCLA. Thoughts?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA posted:

Got into UCLA, likely paying sticker price or near there. Next best offer is from Cardozo Law with a full ride. I'm from NYC, no undergraduate student debt, and parents are willing to help out in the realm of 20k/year for law school no matter where I go. Waiting on some other responses from t14 (and other) schools, but I applied pretty late and am not holding my breath for it. Leaning towards pulling the trigger on UCLA. Thoughts?

Don't go.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

This, but if you decide to go for some reason, take a look at the placement statistics for each school. Cardozo places better than its ranking but as a median student you probably are better off at UCLA.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Draile posted:

Cardozo places better than its ranking but as a median student you probably are better off at UCLA.

This is true, but drat, paying sticker for UCLA while paying the cost of living in LA? I mean, even with the 20k/year from the parents, you're still going to be closing in on $200k in debt by the time you're done.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=ucla

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Do you have a job offer in hand that says in writing something along the lines of 'We will hire you after you get your law degree' ?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lote posted:

Do you have a job offer in hand that says in writing something along the lines of 'We will hire you after you get your law degree' ?

That wouldn't even matter since he'd be an at will employee.

Don't go to law school unless your parents are lawyers and want to hire you.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

What is this late application stuff? If you're set on going to law school, take another year to do everything right. Save some money, retake the LSAT (if necessary), and send out your applications early. No reason to incur $150k in debt at UCLA for a 70% chance of getting a meaningful law job when you could do the same thing at a better school a year down the line.

Law school is 3 years at $50k plus expenses per year. Remember that. Make sure you know whether there are any strings attached to the scholarships being handed out. They are often built so that a large fraction of those receiving them fail to qualify after their first year.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Also, do you plan on returning to the east coast? UCLA is not going to have the strength there as a similarly ranked east coast school. The only school that kind of defies regionalism might be yale. A stanford grad will have better options than a harvard grad out west and probably vice versa.

UCLA has a large west coast alum network, but I doubt it has nearly as much on the east coast.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Has anyone had any luck landing writing jobs as a former attorney? Like copyrighter or seo stuff. That sort of thing interests me but I would like to know how to change gears and make myself more appealing to a potential employer.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Sorry for accidentally ignoring your pm Enigma. Check yours.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIAnkrPgTvY

At the very least you need to wait, retake the LSAT this June, and reapply next year early.

Also between the two options you posted Cardozo is the better one (assuming the scholarship isn't GPA-restricted, get that fine print before they shove you in the Attrition Section with all the other scholarship students) because UCLA will still be 150k of debt easily between out-of-state tuition and LA living expenses and you probably don't have any West Coast connections. If you have to go then live at home and go for free. But don't go, especially if you applied late. Get better options.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 18, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Has anyone had any luck landing writing jobs as a former attorney? Like copyrighter or seo stuff. That sort of thing interests me but I would like to know how to change gears and make myself more appealing to a potential employer.

This actually literally was my path, but unfortunately I can't give you any applicable tips, as I sort of just lucked into it. A friend turned me on to a data entry temp project at this company, they hired me without even asking for a resume, and before the project ended, the copywriting job opened up. I applied for it and because I already had a reputation as World's Best Temp they hired me without caring about my past.

I will tell you this though, copywriting also sucks balls (at least it does at this company, but it's a weird drat company so maybe my experience isn't indicative) so you're not necessarily that much better off. But it isn't impossible.

Basically you'll want to position yourself as someone with a strong attention to detail, able to handle a large number of projects simultaneously while also being able to shift gears at a moment's notice, and also having strong communication skills, so you can collaborate with people from other departments, propose ideas, and offer and process feedback. A demonstrated ability to work with...let's call them "strong personalities" and handle pressure is a big plus. And obviously you'll need to write well. I suppose you can argue that all of these things can come from a career in law, you'll just want to prove that you can be creative, too. You'll also want to spell "copywriter" correctly ;)

I'm not sure how you're meant to break into it, though. I've been trying to bail out of my job (which I've been at for 3 years) and all the other copywriting jobs I look at demand several years of experience. I don't think it's a booming field, not the good jobs anyway.

You might try asking around in the freelancing threads in Ask/Tell. Maybe you can do some freelance work on the side to start things off and see if you can worm your way into something full time like that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Elotana posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIAnkrPgTvY

At the very least you need to wait, retake the LSAT this June, and reapply next year early.

Also between the two options you posted Cardozo is the better one (assuming the scholarship isn't GPA-restricted, get that fine print before they shove you in the Attrition Section with all the other scholarship students) because UCLA will still be 150k of debt easily between out-of-state tuition and LA living expenses and you probably don't have any West Coast connections. If you have to go then live at home and go for free. But don't go, especially if you applied late. Get better options.

I disagree to some extent. A T2 v. a just barely out of the T14 school makes that at best a wash, even comparing out of region v. in region. Yes, it will be a lot of debt, but the UCLA grad will probably get a job, somewhere. Maybe not where you want, maybe not in the field you want, but a job. Carbozo probably won't do that.

That said, the correct answer is not to go if the better option is $100k of debt for a job you might not want.
The UCs are stingy as gently caress with scholarships, and even instate represent a bad value unless it is Boalt.

I wouldn't go without an mid to upper T1 for free or a T14 at a discout. Maybe Yale, Harvard, and Stanford at sticker.

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA
Sep 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys, but I'm pretty set on going this year for various reasons. I don't really care where I end up post-graduation, and employment statistics for UCLA are comparatively way more reassuring than for Cardozo. Really not sure how to feel about the idea of waiting a year, living at home, then blowing like $1000 on reapplying to law schools when I'm already accepted at a t20.

Edit: the scholarship I have at Cardozo requires me to remain in the top 80% of the class, aka above a 2.97 GPA. But I think even regional ties don't outweigh competition from NYU/Columbia for biglaw jobs in the area.

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 18, 2014

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Thanks for the advice guys, but I'm pretty set on going this year for various reasons. I don't really care where I end up post-graduation, and employment statistics for UCLA are comparatively way more reassuring than for Cardozo. Really not sure how to feel about the idea of waiting a year, living at home, then blowing like $1000 on reapplying to law schools when I'm already accepted at a t20.

Most of this is reasonable, but you shouldn't ask the thread for advice if you've already made up your mind.

Also, I want you to come back to this post in three years and reread "I don't really care where I end up post-graduation" so you can marvel at how short-sighted you were.

Lots of people want to go to law school but so many of them don't realize that they're supposed to become lawyers afterward.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Edit: the scholarship I have at Cardozo requires me to remain in the top 80% of the class, aka above a 2.97 GPA. But I think even regional ties don't outweigh competition from NYU/Columbia for biglaw jobs in the area.

Why would you possibly care about spending $1000 to reapply when if you go to UCLA you will come out with over $100,000 in debt?

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Those various reasons probably aren't worth ruining your life for. You have a good shot at ruining your life by going to law school. Please stop, think more and let fear set in.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

I don't really care where I end up post-graduation
Including unemployed and unemployable?

Do you even want to be a lawyer?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I have $150,000 in student loans.

I have $1500 in payments every month.

I have 161 more payments to go.

That is what I got from law school.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Green Crayons posted:

Including unemployed and unemployable?

Do you even want to be a lawyer?

Technically not unemployed, since he wouldn't have a job to be unemployed from, and therefore not be eligible for the pittance that unemployment is. As such he wouldn't be counted in the official unemployment numbers! He'd just be jobless.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

I got offered a full ride at Cardozo in 2009 and not taking it was the single best decision of my entire life, hth.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

mastershakeman posted:

Technically not unemployed. . . As such he wouldn't be counted in the official unemployment numbers! He'd just be jobless.

That's not true.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

MoFauxHawk posted:

That's not true.

Yep. If you're looking for work and can't find it then you would count in the U3 statistics. How you got to the point of not having a job is irrelevant.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Really? I thought anyone not actually collecting unemployment wouldn't be on the u-3, including people that had been receiving benefits then lost them after they were cut off after 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Really? I thought anyone not actually collecting unemployment wouldn't be on the u-3, including people that had been receiving benefits then lost them after they were cut off after 6 months.

Anyone seeking work who does not have it is counted in the u-3. You may be thinking of the fact that "discouraged workers" - people who are so defeated by their lack of job prospects that they have simply given up looking - are not included in the u-3.