Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lum posted:

Sup fellow resident of Wales :v:

Not been too bad where I am, lost power a couple of time last week, and tonight has had a couple of dropouts just long enough to flicker the lights but nothing major, though our home PCs, router and cordless phones are on UPSes.

The crosswinds are somewhat sketchy on the motorways, even before you get near the bridge, means everyone is driving in terrified panic mode.

Getting over that bridge was a little sketchy but I slept up until then (I'm so used to my lift into work almost crashing his car that I can nod off even when having to swerve a lot). According to my colleagues who were driving the van it was actually worse before the bridge. Barely anyone wanted to cross the thing it seems.

I still really should pick up welsh, if only because the signs screw with me. How do they turn two words into five? Just, so much :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Because they're not their things, they're the company's things.

This is acceptable to an extent, I think. Like, at the newspaper, I've seen maybe one lenscap in ten years, and we'd rather get the shot than pamper the gear (one guy's camera spent a month in the shop because it got too wet during a long shift in a torrential downpour, had to have all the electronics replaced), and we're not too concerned when we smack a lens into a doorframe or whatever; our personal gear, we baby, because we have to pay for it.

But the boss goes a bit overboard, he wrecks a body about every six months, and his lenses are constantly in the shop with really weird failures -- e.g., one time he somehow jammed the zoom ring. It focused perfectly, but would not zoom. The rest of us, aside from catastrophic accidents, have never managed to trash a camera or lens to the point of it being unrepairable (one of the guys dropped his hard enough to break a chunk off the metal frame, but it still worked fine). I've never broken anything, knock wood, but when the boss borrows my gear while his is in the shop, it doesn't quite work right when I get it back.

Though the boss wins at catastrophic accidents too -- once he had his camera on his shoulder when a car rear-ended his motorcycle. drat near killed him, and the camera fared worse. The body is still on the desk with all the other old/spare ones, with deep gouges across the top of the prism box (he tried to get the shop to swap the scarred top plate onto the replacement camera), every LCD cracked, and the lens up to the aperture ring still stuck in the mount -- the mount is warped so it won't come out. It still turns on and clicks the shutter, though, and that's why I bought a Nikon for my personal rig.

Agrikk posted:

I don't understand how keys pop off of laptop keyboards. Seriously folks. What the gently caress are you doing that makes a button that is designed to be pressed down pop UP off the keyboard?
My mom used to have a cat that used the old-style laptop keyboard (thin keys all flat-like, as opposed to the modern trend of keys that look like Chiclets sticking out of holes in the panel) as a scratching post and pulled off several keys.

If you have a cat and must let it in the same room as the computer, close the laptop whenever you leave the room.

AlternateAccount posted:

A manager that asks for a self eval just so that they can say YEP LOOKS GOOD and file it away is a dick.
Better than a manager that half-asses his eval of you. I've met my manager (at the not-newspaper job) maybe twice in five years, and when performance review time comes, I've worked my rear end off and carried the team, but I get the same score as the guy that does literally nothing if he can help it and cusses in front of the customers, because the manager doesn't know us and just does random 4s and 5s to make it look like he tried.

RyuHimora posted:

The only netbooks I see that you can still buy new have the shittiest processors imaginable, which I doubt anyone would be happy with.
Yeah. I have a 10" netbook (EeeeeeeeeePC something-or-other, touchscreen that spins around to tablet mode) and use it as a chunky ebook reader. My phone has more CPU/RAM. Come on, we have the tech to put a balls-out processor and 8 gigs of RAM into a 10" convertible with decent resolution. I guess the profit margins are high enough, and the market willing enough, for 15" 1366x768 laptops to dominate because they're good enough.

I've managed to get Windows 8 on the lil' guy, but none of the metro apps work because minimum resolution is 1024x768, and the touch-screen netbook is 900x650 or some poo poo. What's the point of having Windows optimized for touchscreens when it doesn't work on anything small enough that a touchscreen is useful?

Well, I guess selling new computers that it does work on is the point, but there aren't any good ones. Come to think of it, I think my phone (HTC Evo 3D) has better or equal screen resolution than the netbook standard, too.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, the EEEPCs had a screen resolution of 1024x600 for a while, which really sucked since Windows 8 runs on them pretty well due to the low-power optimizations for Windows RT. There's also zero reason to require 1024x768, which is a pretty low resolution anyway these days, on all metro apps.

(Probably time to end this derail.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

RyuHimora posted:

1024x768, which is a pretty low resolution anyway these days

Although it totally lives on in the most common and hated current 16:9 resolution of them all: 1366x768. Which is depressing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Even worse are the OEMs that call it HD.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Caged posted:

Even worse are the OEMs that call it HD.

It is, it's larger than 1280x720. Keep in mind that the current HD terms were introduced in 1992.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Install Windows posted:

It is, it's larger than 1280x720. Keep in mind that the current HD terms were introduced in 1992.

To be fair, that was never considered HD until marketers came along. It was just a normal, far from exceptional resolution.

Same with Ultra HD. That was always 7680×4320 until the last year or so, when 3840×2160 became "Ultra HD" too.

It turns out the first HD standards were >1000 lines

vvv I guess what my point is, is that 1080 was considered "HD", the lower resolution TVs were a cheap way to get consumers in with a lower quality experience. If you're talking from an engineering perspective, they would have wanted the TVs to be 1080i and nothing else, back then, one would imagine.

You can't say people weren't confused as poo poo over which TVs would do 1280x720, 1360x768, 1366x768, or 1920x1080, because they were, and that's not an engineering ideal.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 16, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HalloKitty posted:

To be fair, that was never considered HD until marketers came along. It was just a normal, far from exceptional resolution.

Yes, the marketers, from the early 90s, who were working at the companies that were creating the specs for the video and displays we're using today. They sure as poo poo weren't calling 1280x720 TVs when they finally hit the mass market in the late 90s "normal definition TVs" those things were called high definition.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

rolleyes posted:

I'm amazed the bridge is still open to be honest!

One of them is closed. The one closest to me >.<

spog posted:

That's because anyone entering Wales will feel compelled to spend all their money on the local culture1, entertainment2 and business opportunities3 and so have nothing left for the tolls.

1 None
2 None
3 None

Not quite none. You can go dogging up in the valleys :P

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lum posted:

One of them is closed. The one closest to me >.<

Not quite none. You can go dogging up in the valleys :P

VD. The best holiday souvenir.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

HalloKitty posted:

VD. The best holiday souvenir.

There are very few diseases that afflict both humans and sheep.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rolleyes posted:

I'm amazed the bridge is still open to be honest!

For the benefit of the American audience, the Severn bridge is not the only way into Wales but if you're coming from the south it's certainly the quickest.

How windy is it exactly, out there? Because that bridge is just under a mile and I don't see why you guys are making such a big deal.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

How windy is it exactly, out there? Because that bridge is just under a mile and I don't see why you guys are making such a big deal.

There's two of them. The shorter, older, one (currently closed) has no side guards worth speaking of to interfere with the wind, and problems are caused when incompetent drivers then overtake a lorry or pass one of the vertical supports and suddenly their car lurches in the opposite direction to the wind. It also has a road surface that consists of more patches and potholes than it does actual road.

The longer one doesn't have this problem, but it does have really wide bridge supports that create a lot of turbulance which causes a similar effect.

Both of them cross the Servern estuary which is, well, pretty drat big and can get rather windy.

tldr: lovely drivers don't know how to deal with crosswinds.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Here is an example of British weather at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmRYAqhf-pk

In an attempt to stay relevant, I rebooted an exchange server last night and lost connection to the other servers as well. I was panicking before I realised I couldn't connected onto the router either. The storm last night knocked out the line, phew!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Same with Ultra HD. That was always 7680×4320 until the last year or so, when 3840×2160 became "Ultra HD" too.
"HD Ready" was a label that annoyed me for the few years that 720p TVs had a market share. Ready for what, exactly? Buying a proper HD TV two years later?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

NZAmoeba posted:

F5, not exactly sure what model.

At my place we just moved a platform that hosts a load balanced pair of FTP servers from one F5 BigIP to another. The load balancer is doing port translation on active mode FTP data connections, and on the old one it would assign port numbers for translated ports in sequence, but on the new one, it's picking them randomly instead.

This wouldn't be a huge deal, except that we have some clients that do hundreds of file transfers in a single command session and open a new data connection for each transfer (and they're old mainframes, so we can't make their FTP client software behave properly and use just one connection). Why does this matter? Because apparently the RNG on a BigIP is utter poo poo and, despite having at least 64k port numbers to choose from, it will reassign the same random port number to a new connection a few seconds after it just used it for another connection from the same server to the same client. Since the old TCP session using that port hasn't been released by the server OS yet, the new connection fails, and that breaks the job on the mainframe. :argh:

Our network guy is testing turning off port translation on a new test VIP, so we'll see what happens, but we're not sure what will happen if we turn it off on the primary VIP, as the network config on this platform is fairly complex and it does a ton of traffic (literally millions of FTP transfers a month).

On an unrelated note, I'm gonna go visit the UK this May, assuming it hasn't all been blown away and washed up on the coast of France by then. :v:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Lum posted:

There's two of them. The shorter, older, one (currently closed) has no side guards worth speaking of to interfere with the wind, and problems are caused when incompetent drivers then overtake a lorry or pass one of the vertical supports and suddenly their car lurches in the opposite direction to the wind. It also has a road surface that consists of more patches and potholes than it does actual road.

The longer one doesn't have this problem, but it does have really wide bridge supports that create a lot of turbulance which causes a similar effect.

Both of them cross the Servern estuary which is, well, pretty drat big and can get rather windy.

tldr: lovely drivers don't know how to deal with crosswinds.

You think you have windy bridge problems? Try Washington State...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Paladine_PSoT posted:

You think you have windy bridge problems? Try Washington State...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

Hey, I'm like a mile from there right now. Amazingly, that dog the guy failed to save was the only fatality when the bridge finally collapsed. There's two spans there now, the second being completed about six years ago now.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Inspector_666 posted:

How windy is it exactly, out there?

Well the area where the bridge is had a red warning out, which means winds of 80mph plus. On that bridge, because of the prevailing wind direction, that would be an 80mph crosswind.

I know we don't get big impressive hurricanes like you guys but I'd still rather stay clear of that sort of situation.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

"HD Ready" was a label that annoyed me for the few years that 720p TVs had a market share. Ready for what, exactly? Buying a proper HD TV two years later?

Yeah, that's the sort of crap I'm talking about. They knew it wasn't HD, but wanted to put "HD" on it somewhere.

vv What was great about that was that even a Microsoft employee got burned by it and bought a "Vista" machine with no DX9 capability, and moaned about it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 16, 2014

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, that's the sort of crap I'm talking about. They knew it wasn't HD, but wanted to put "HD" on it somewhere.

"Windows Vista Capable" :haw:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

HalloKitty posted:

vv What was great about that was that even a Microsoft employee got burned by it and bought a "Vista" machine with no DX9 capability, and moaned about it

I had to explain that one to my parents at the time, man that was a pain. All "HD Ready" meant was "this TV will accept an HD signal and then downsample it to SD. Yay!"

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Three voicemails, a ticket and an email came in within 15 minutes of each other...

Kronos isn't working :supaburn:

When I call back, Kronos is working. I hate Kronos.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maybe it's because our Kronos install is on our AS400 but I've never gotten a call concerning Kronos in the decade I've been with the company. Of course we've only updated Kronos once during that time too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Collateral Damage posted:

Ready for an HD signal because there were hardly any in 2007.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I drove over the M62 summit on Friday coming home from Newcastle (for the benefit of people who don't know, it's signposted as the highest point of motorway in the country) I was behind a motorbike which was casually going along at an interesting angle.

Jumping back a couple of pages to the Dell power cable issue because I don't read too much during the week - I was specifically told to order the 120 desktops for my project early because Lenovo once had trouble getting hard drive screws for the little plastic mount they use and it delayed a different project.

The computers have been sat in my store since October and still haven't made it to many peoples desks yet. Hurrah.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Maybe it's because our Kronos install is on our AS400 but I've never gotten a call concerning Kronos in the decade I've been with the company. Of course we've only updated Kronos once during that time too.

We (they, I should say) never update Kronos here. The problem is java updates (usually, although not today). They can be disabled through group policy, right? Either they don't know that here or don't care.

Or they could update Kronos, so we don't have to have java 6u17, which as best as I can tell is from 2009 :ughh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't use Kronos in Windows, it's all done through green screen AS400 session, hence no Java :dance:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

rolleyes posted:

Well the area where the bridge is had a red warning out, which means winds of 80mph plus. On that bridge, because of the prevailing wind direction, that would be an 80mph crosswind.

I know we don't get big impressive hurricanes like you guys but I'd still rather stay clear of that sort of situation.

I'm pretty sure we got told it was going to hit 115 or so.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

GreenNight posted:

We don't use Kronos in Windows, it's all done through green screen AS400 session, hence no Java :dance:

Oh, I don't know what an AS400 is. But yeah, that's definitely why nobody has problems. loving Java :argh:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

Oh, I don't know what an AS400 is.

Look at this whippersnapper. :bahgawd:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Some people only know it as an iSeries, but yeah.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, i've been told I can't do my part of the work until another guy has done his job and he's going to have to redo a huge part of it (its taken him most of today). They'll pay me every hour I wait and I can do whatever until then so long as its in the practice.

Time to catch up on Supernatural and get paid for it, I guess! The way its going, i'll only be doing my hours worth at 10pm tonight.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

Time to catch up on Supernatural and get paid for it, I guess! The way its going, i'll only be doing my hours worth at 10pm tonight.

You mean tomorrow. You'll only be doing your hours worth tomorrow.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

angry armadillo posted:

I drove over the M62 summit on Friday coming home from Newcastle (for the benefit of people who don't know, it's signposted as the highest point of motorway in the country) I was behind a motorbike which was casually going along at an interesting angle.

Been a while since I've been up that way (gently caress the Leeds/Bradford tailbacks and gently caress the entire M60) but yeah it can get interesting up there. One of the few places I've had to lean over and look through the little area swept by both wipers because the rain was so hard that you needed the extra clearance to be able to see.

(No, the UK doesn't have the thing some parts of the US do where in sudden heavy rain everyone stops. If you stop in that situation someone who can't see will drive into the back of you. Besides it usually builds up more gradually here)

Don't have much on-topic to post since most of last week I've basically done gently caress all. No work coming in. Had one ticket on Friday though...

A customer calls, and asks about moving a piece of software I originally installed for them 10 years ago (literally 10 years) because the PC is getting old and slow (no poo poo, really?). Amazingly they still have the install CD!

I give them some simple instructions: Move the dongle to the new PC, copy over two directories, then install these two things over the top of the copied directories, job done.

4 or 5 phone calls later to clarify some stuff, and it’s happily installing away. I head off to drop my car at the garage, thinking it’ll be sorted.

Nope. Next call “Where do I plug in the dongle” “Umm, is it a parallel or a USB one” “It’s definitely not USB” “ok, parallel, plug it into the printer port” “It doesn’t have one”.

Turns out they ignored the first step in my instructions and then wasted an hour installing onto one of those tiny slimline laptop-based Dell desktops that don’t have any legacy ports.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Che Delilas posted:

You mean tomorrow. You'll only be doing your hours worth tomorrow.

Looks like it'll be that way. Not that I mind, i'm here to train the users on how to use the software tomorrow anyway, means they have to wait an hour. Not my problem, they can take it up with the data guys who are taking forever :shrug:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Lum posted:

Been a while since I've been up that way (gently caress the Leeds/Bradford tailbacks and gently caress the entire M60) but yeah it can get interesting up there. One of the few places I've had to lean over and look through the little area swept by both wipers because the rain was so hard that you needed the extra clearance to be able to see.

(No, the UK doesn't have the thing some parts of the US do where in sudden heavy rain everyone stops. If you stop in that situation someone who can't see will drive into the back of you. Besides it usually builds up more gradually here)

I've gone back the other way and I'm Newcastle again now. The M62 near Leeds has dynamic speed cameras now which I think works but luckily I can travel on Sunday night and avoid that poo poo

I've been doing a project for the last 6 months with a severe lack of tickets generally, I'm kinda looking forward to going back to the routine of it soon

I do have a meeting on Wednesday to discuss when my minion starts though!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I've been gone from work for a week and looking at my schedule tomorrow, I have meetings from 8am until 1pm. And a poo poo ton of tickets sitting in my inbox. Guess what users? Gonna have to loving wait.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have spent the last month trying to deal with a woman who has somehow landed herself a workweek of between 8 and 16 hours. Her office hours are something like 9-12 mon-thurs. Not that those numbers are a reliable gauge of when she will be there and pick up the phone. She's also forgetful; more than twice now she's told me she had all the paperwork she needed, only to call me the next day because she remembered something ABSOLUTELY VITAL. And of course, she is the only point of contact for an entire company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Javid posted:

I have spent the last month trying to deal with a woman who has somehow landed herself a workweek of between 8 and 16 hours. Her office hours are something like 9-12 mon-thurs. Not that those numbers are a reliable gauge of when she will be there and pick up the phone. She's also forgetful; more than twice now she's told me she had all the paperwork she needed, only to call me the next day because she remembered something ABSOLUTELY VITAL. And of course, she is the only point of contact for an entire company.

Not a client of mine, but we had a lady that would require, if you sent her email, to call her saying to retrieve it. Then she would discuss the email.

• Locked thread