Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Black's just controlling the centre here. I don't know how white's going to manage this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Tarezax posted:

It appears to me that Black is going to lose the capturing race in the mid left unless he prevents white from making an eye on his dragon. G9.

Even then, I dunno. White has many liberties.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Tarezax posted:

It appears to me that Black is going to lose the capturing race in the mid left unless he prevents white from making an eye on his dragon. G9.
g9 is the move I had in mind. After that AFAICT IFF Black forces White to capture g13, then Black wins the race (without even needing any ko threats)? It's tricky though, so I'm not totally sure.

Xom fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 14, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Also nvm about being able to win without g9, since Black has to let go of g13 to avoid losing the race (seki results instead), which is what happened in the actual game, resulting in W+6.5.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

silvergoose posted:

I uh missed the entire bottom row. I might still be right? I can't comprehend your image at 3 AM, sorry, and I'm also bad at this game.
It was directed at my actual play in that game, not at you. I'll edit it onto the end of my post where it belongs.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

The second book of Go is being delivered from Hong Kong for some reason, but I got my books today! There's also this free "Korean style of Baduk" that I might be interested in. Get ready for crazy fights and a kill everything mentality. :toot:

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

The second book of Go is being delivered from Hong Kong for some reason, but I got my books today! There's also this free "Korean style of Baduk" that I might be interested in. Get ready for crazy fights and a kill everything mentality. :toot:

Direction of Play is a great book, even with so many getting translated now. Don't know that Korean book; the only one I've read is the second '100 Tips for amateur players'. It was refreshingly good and surprising in the matter-of-fact way it just laid out a 'this is how you punish a play like this good' style.

Seems like there are too many books to choose from, now. Would love to hear how you get on with that one, freebie or not!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Read the poo poo out of A&D because if you don't know it backward and forward you won't be able to get to shodan.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
where were you able to find attack and defense for less than 60$? or are you just that hardcore

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
nvm, found that gogameguru has all the books.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Is A&D out of print or something? I got mine fairly cheap years ago.

Those are some good book choices. Direction of Play is the most beat-up dog-eared book I own. You can skip forward in chapters when he starts getting too deep into discussions. Great book.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
All of the books in that series are ridiculously expensive on Amazon, but on gogameguru they are all 17.99

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It'd be cool if they started to convert them to e-books. I like paper format better but if I could get a few books for $20 rather than just one, it would be worth it.

Then again like it'd be priced any better.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Excellent purchases Khel although I would have swapped direction of play for the second book of go, simply because you should fully internalise the fundamentals before a book like that. I sit for an age at the goban with that book and find myself going, 'Jesus this can't matter that much.' Its really detailed and the fundamentals series are much better choices. Direction is a Dan book imo

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Excellent purchases Khel although I would have swapped direction of play for the second book of go, simply because you should fully internalise the fundamentals before a book like that. I sit for an age at the goban with that book and find myself going, 'Jesus this can't matter that much.' Its really detailed and the fundamentals series are much better choices. Direction is a Dan book imo

I still bought it, but for some reason it's shipped from somewhere els, so I have to wait longer before getting it. :iiam:

uranus posted:

All of the books in that series are ridiculously expensive on Amazon, but on gogameguru they are all 17.99

Is A&D some weird, out of print rare book or is everyone just hoping you won't find Gogameguru?

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 15, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

A&D is standard fare for English go books, it just isn't sold well on Amazon because it's niche. GGG Store is where I buy all my books

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 15, 2014

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Kheldragar posted:

I still bought it, but for some reason it's shipped from somewhere els, so I have to wait longer before getting it. :iiam:

Is A&D some weird, out of print rare book or is everyone just hoping you won't find Gogameguru?

My guess is that GGG buys bulk from the go publishers and ship it and that's really cheap. Amazon keeps everything in small quantities in their warehouses and that's really expensive.

Maybe they even have the print licence and that's even cheaper.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I would use it just for the timestamps. Cgoban-h Edit: New link!
There's also a list of features here Thanks lemons!

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 17, 2014

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Black to live. Probably easy for most of you but it felt great to find during the game when I had barely any time left on my clock. edit: i found some more variations that i haven't considered it seems black still lives but it's messy so I'm a bit doubtful right now.

IMlemon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 15, 2014

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

IMlemon posted:

Black to live. Probably easy for most of you but it felt great to find during the game when I had barely any time left on my clock.

F19? I'm pretty bad so that might be completely wrong

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
h15 g16 h14 j15 f16 g15 e15 ?

wrong

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

uranus posted:

I think the prices on Amazon are for Ishi press originals.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

IMlemon posted:

Black to live. Probably easy for most of you but it felt great to find during the game when I had barely any time left on my clock. edit: i found some more variations that i haven't considered it seems black still lives but it's messy so I'm a bit doubtful right now.

It looks like the move is C19. This buys enough eyespace to then throwin for b at E19. It protects the miai throw-ins of C19/J19 and the cut at the weak area D17.

It's a tricky one but that's what I see?

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

impulse 7 effect posted:

It looks like the move is C19. This buys enough eyespace to then throwin for b at E19. It protects the miai throw-ins of C19/J19 and the cut at the weak area D17.

It's a tricky one but that's what I see?

Yes I think you are correct. I went over the variations in more detail after the game and I couldn't find a way for white to kill after c19. In game I played H17 first to threaten the sequence Under 15 posted. He threw in at C19 but after D19 both J19 and H15 give me life from what I can see. In the actual game he threw in at J19 I ignored to play H15 and connected.

IMlemon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 15, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

The point was to see how much I could remember.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I started playing Go with my friend about a week ago and he has wiped the floor with me, since he has about a year of playing experience while I'm a complete beginner. No matter, it has still been fun. So far we've played on a 13x13 board and he has given me nine stones in the beginning (I've always been black) and even with this the least I've been beaten with is by 22 points. But in that game I also managed to capture five stones from him, which is the biggest successful experience of strategic thinking in the game I've had so far.

I've played only ten games or so, but I've enjoyed Go and want to play more. :) I think about practicing against an AI, reading some beginner's guides and watching Youtube videos. I've yet to exhaust the OP's information and links also.

Speaking of which, where are those images in the OP from, like this one?

They are really funny and I want to see more. :) Is there a book where I can find them?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Rurik posted:

I started playing Go with my friend about a week ago and he has wiped the floor with me, since he has about a year of playing experience while I'm a complete beginner. No matter, it has still been fun. So far we've played on a 13x13 board and he has given me nine stones in the beginning (I've always been black) and even with this the least I've been beaten with is by 22 points. But in that game I also managed to capture five stones from him, which is the biggest successful experience of strategic thinking in the game I've had so far.

I've played only ten games or so, but I've enjoyed Go and want to play more. :) I think about practicing against an AI, reading some beginner's guides and watching Youtube videos. I've yet to exhaust the OP's information and links also.

Welcome to the game, and to a lifetime of addiction.

I should point out, however, that capturing stones is not a strategic matter, but a tactical one. Many a game has been lost by a player fixated on capturing a few stones and failing to think about whether or not that actually advances the larger strategic goal of taking more territory than the other guy. Generally speaking, in a high handicap game, if Black is capturing White's stones, it's because White intended to sacrifice them.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Rurik posted:

They are really funny and I want to see more. :) Is there a book where I can find them?

Google images search for "igo ukiyo-e" seems to do the trick.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

xopods posted:

I should point out, however, that capturing stones is not a strategic matter, but a tactical one. Many a game has been lost by a player fixated on capturing a few stones and failing to think about whether or not that actually advances the larger strategic goal of taking more territory than the other guy. Generally speaking, in a high handicap game, if Black is capturing White's stones, it's because White intended to sacrifice them.

No crap. this idea has made me kinda paralyzed when it comes to taking stones because I keep thinking "what if this is what they WANT me to do?"

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

If your opponet is playing Tengen, you must kill the Tengen stone. No matter what. Even if you lose the game.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

xopods posted:

Yeah, the samurai's name in the picture is Tadanobu, if that helps.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

No crap. this idea has made me kinda paralyzed when it comes to taking stones because I keep thinking "what if this is what they WANT me to do?"

The key is in remembering that not all stones are equal:

(1) Is it the cutting stone that's separating two of your groups? Is at least one of those groups weak? If so, then by all means, try to capture it.
(2) Is it loosely connecting other stones of the opponent's? Will attacking or capturing it split the opponent into several groups? If so, then by all means, try to capture it.
(3) Is it located in an area where you stand to make a lot of territory if your opponent fails to make a living group? If so, then by all means try to capture it on a large scale. (In this case, trying to capture too directly may allow your opponent to make sabaki and discard it to make other stones live in that area.)

If the stone is not doing one of those three things - cutting you, connecting himself, or reducing your territorial framework - then it is a garbage stone, and attacking it is likely a bad idea.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

xopods posted:

Thank you. :)

quote:

I can imagine this being so, but so far even capturing my friend's stones has been an achievement. I shall learn to crawl before I attempt to walk, or run for that matter.

quote:

Under 15 posted:

Yeah, the samurai's name in the picture is Tadanobu, if that helps.

Thanks, that helped! Ukiyo-e art looks cool and interesting, I'll have to make myself familiar with it.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I just played a game that turned out pretty even, so i think it would be a good game to post here for comments. Also, why did I screw my invasion up in the lower left corner? Should I have haned? (that group was really totally dead)

http://online-go.com/game/503024

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Svartvit posted:

I just played a game that turned out pretty even, so i think it would be a good game to post here for comments. Also, why did I screw my invasion up in the lower left corner? Should I have haned? (that group was really totally dead)

http://online-go.com/game/503024
I have comments for you—find me on KGS.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Are any iOS Go apps worth a drat? There are quite a few Go apps on the App Store but none of them look like they get much use.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

terre packet posted:

Are any iOS Go apps worth a drat? There are quite a few Go apps on the App Store but none of them look like they get much use.

SmartGo Kifu is the tits.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
My most recent full size game, played live this time. http://online-go.com/game/503248

I lost two huge groups pretty early on due to retarded idiot mistakes, but still managed to win it by 12.5. Mostly cause my opponent was really helpful in assisting me with constructing my borders.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

My most recent full size game, played live this time. http://online-go.com/game/503248

I lost two huge groups pretty early on due to retarded idiot mistakes, but still managed to win it by 12.5. Mostly cause my opponent was really helpful in assisting me with constructing my borders.
In the final position, Black has some cutting points that still need fixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Xom posted:

In the final position, Black has some cutting points that still need fixing.

yeah i was not confident in my ability to live after poking into the center.