Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.

PrinceRandom posted:

They also tend to ignore the part where it also says do not trust intellect or logical discourse. To me it seems to appeal to a more holistic approach with a wise teacher but I see it get used as a "I don't need a teacher or anything because "
I've always thought of it like the Buddha saying to trust what you know, where know means what you can experience directly, e.g. when you feel sleepy you know that you feel sleepy by your own direct experience, you don't need a logical argument or a teacher to tell you that.

Take the precept on false speech, you can read this study http://news.nd.edu/news/32424-study-telling-fewer-lies-linked-to-better-health-relationships/ and conclude that you shouldn't lie, or you can try not lying and see for yourself if you feel better. With the latter you have direct experience, you can know if you feel better about yourself or not, just like you can know whether you are sleepy or feel happy.

Basically you don't need a theory of ethics or a teacher to tell you not to lie, you can just check for yourself that it feels bad and you should trust that.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Here's a teaser from the study:

quote:

New research from the University of Notre Dame shows that when people managed to reduce their lies in given weeks across a 10-week study, they reported significantly improved physical and mental health in those same weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Happy new year/day of Maitreya Bodhisattva. Remember to keep uposatha :v:

Green_Machine
Jun 28, 2008

Quantumfate posted:

I would suggest that the fruition of the world's karma trends towards skillful ends. More and more lives are being born as humans and given a precious chance, born into a time when the dharma can be transmitted with the click of a mouse. Humanity is experiencing a karma that allows them to engage in communication on a scale unprecedented. We have the vipaka of the world's knowledge in our phones. Humanity has the vipaka of mass exposure to buddhadharma.

I would say that the number of enlightened beings is growing as more and more walk along the path of the buddhadharma, so that eventually we arrive at the number of successful buddhists increasing. There's a fair number of monastics, but I'm unsure if there are more monastics now than in say, the time of the Gandharan universities.

There have been some huge population die-offs in human history. For example, the Plague of Justinian kill around 25 million people around the world and dropped the human population of the Mediterranean by around 25%. The Black Death wiped out around half the population of Europe and a third of the population of the Middle East. Both plagues cause a demographic collapse that resulted in further population declines in the generations following the main outbreaks.

In the times leading up to these massive human die-offs, had the world's karma trended towards unskillful ends? Maybe not enough beings had the karma to be born as humans in the mid 14th century?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Green_Machine posted:

In the times leading up to these massive human die-offs, had the world's karma trended towards unskillful ends? Maybe not enough beings had the karma to be born as humans in the mid 14th century?

I'm not a Buddha! I can't say with any certitude, but this is along the right line of thinking. Those who died in the plagues had the unfortunate cause of precipitating their own infection: Either through location, poor habits, etc etc. The effect was their infection and resultant death. Whether this was the manifestation of their karma for being born then? I cannot say.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

A lot of people mistake honesty for harsh speech when talking about Watts. Not that I'm flawless here, far from it.

Also I swear to god I hate the Kalama Sutra and yes I'm aware how bad that is. Holy poo poo though it's like the "Shiite White Buddhist Being Intentionally Obtuse" Sutra.

A Shiite Muslim was explaining to me a while back that there are branches of Islam (both extinct and extant) that believe, essentially, in a long, multi-life progression of the soul/being/whatever you want to call it complete with rebirth and everything? I.e. that beings are reborn again and again until they may eventually shed their shortcomings or whatever.

Since ya reminded me of that...

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

It seems common for more esoteric and mystical traditions to formulate beliefs like that. It may be specificaly the Druze he's thinking of. Kabbalist have something similar.

Edit: I don't know enough about the various Sufi orders to say for sure what they think.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
He was referring to Alawites specifically, I believe. The beliefs of now-defunct branches of Islam is about as broad as the now extinct branches of Buddhism, for that matter.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Buddhism thread, my name is WAFFLEHOUND, and I have a drinking problem.

No, not like that. I try my best to hold the precepts and for the most part I'd wager I'm really drat good at the whole not-drinking thing. Lately I've started to realize that a lot of my social life is suffering because of my desire to not drink; I'll still go to bars and such with people, but I make excuses for not wanting to be around drunk people, or I'll fade out early in the night. Compared to how I've been in the past I'm becoming, well, boring.

Last time I seriously took the refuge vows was mid-2012. I didn't have a single drink until the Super Bowl because I'm from Seattle and :hawksin:. At this point I'm not sure I'm not going to be a lot happier in my life if I just pretend that that particular precept doesn't exist. I'm not going to pretend for a second that Buddhism doesn't have a pretty blanket prohibition on alcohol/intoxicants from a karma perspective (though the expectation of laity following those rules is quite interesting, historically). I'm just trying to figure out what to do from here. I'm probably not going to go back to holding the precept for a while, since I'm really loving tired of the social consequences of not drinking (to me, at least) and I've just done >a year and a half without drinking which means I haven't drank for most of the last 4 years in total. I think I'm just time for a break on that front but not from Buddhism as a whole. I actually heard a great talk from the Dalai Lama when I took the refuge vows last, about how it's absolutely possible for the precepts to cause suffering if you're not in a place where you can wisely take them. And he was specifically referring to people who feel they need to drink. Kind of an "obviously not drinking is better, but sometimes not drinking can cause us to suffer in other ways which have a net negative effect compared to drinking because our practice elsewhere isn't there yet".

I'm not a monk, I don't really plan to be one, so, advice, Dharmagoons?

Not you quantumfate you've called me a heretic enough already. :buddy:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

This is general non-drinking advice rather than dharma advice, but as someone who's abstained from drinking for at least the last 15 years, some of which were spent in, of all places, New Orleans, I've confronted that problem many many times. You can decide to forego that precept, but how it will work out will depend a lot on whether your heart is really in the endeavor of social drinking, or whether it is instead a grudging concession that will make you feel bad, physically and ethically. I don't at all harbor animosity or judgment of people who enjoy social drinking, assuming it's not overtly harming them or those they interact with, but in my case when I did the social drinking thing it felt insincere and out of kilter with the direction I was going in, in addition to leaving me with a few nasty hangovers. So I ultimately decided not to do it again. What feels appropriate for you may very well differ.

What I did *not* decide to do, however, was forego socializing, even with those actively drinking. It's true that drinking is, in a way, a team sport, so there's the potential to feel or be left out, but what I found (and again your experience may differ) was that I could do just as well grabbing a soda or tonic water and lime In a tumbler, that I could have fun, and feel lighter and better doing so, without the overhang of the alcohol buzz, that I could enjoy being with my friends when they were sober and when they were not, and that I could be there both for myself and for others at the end of an evening when the time came for everyone to get home responsibly.

Best of luck to you.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Folderol posted:

It's true that drinking is, in a way, a team sport

I'm a geologist. We're goddamn olympians.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I have tried to phrase the following wall of text carefully so as not to promote the practice of non-virtue or encourage people to discard parts of the Dharma they don't like. Though I am not a great realized one with a perfect use of words, I hope that this achieves this aim and does not cause too much harm.

The precepts are ethical guidelines for good behavior that is consistent with Dharma and is proven to result in enlightenment. As a Buddhist, our goal is to attain enlightenment, either to attain liberation from suffering or for the benefit of sentient beings that they might attain liberation from suffering. That is the motivation, that's the goal, that's the aim. A bodhisattva abstains from non-virtuous behavior, and there is no way to make a non-virtue into a virtue. Drinking is non-virtuous, as even in moderation it encourages heedlessness, and even buying or selling it is considered an unskillful trade.

That said, you are not a great bodhisattva right now, and you don't have to be. You should strive to be, but you should do so in recognition of your own facticity. If you are not able to keep that precept, don't take that precept. If you don't want to take that precept, don't take that precept. There is no reason for you to do a thing you do not want to do.

You might recall a dude a year or so ago who decided he'd convert, but he'd maybe continue to drink in moderation because it would be terribly difficult on his friends if he didn't. That dude continued to drink for a while, and eventually realized, by his own experience (this is the heart of the Kalama Sutra discussed earlier), that alcohol was doing him no favors, even in moderation. He stopped drinking at that point. It's good, but he came to that on his own and when he was ready. There's no need to rush to these things.

The thing about precepts is that it is certainly virtuous to hold as many as one can. That's for the best! But it is not virtuous to take them with the knowledge and intent of breaking them. That's in fact deceitful. The advantage to taking precepts and knowing one will fail comes because while holding a precept, one accumulates merit at all times that they are holding the precept - even while sleeping and doing other things. A person who takes the non-violence precept accumulates merit even while asleep due to upholding that precept. A person who does not hold that precept, but who makes a decision not to be violent, has merit for making a good decision, but only at that point. But a person who goes "I will hold this precept but I plan on breaking it" is not really holding it.

I think there is a tendency to want to be perfect at Buddhism and I think that is good and noble and should be encouraged. But I think this also tends to do a lot of harm - people who would hold some precepts but not all, people who would carry even one aspect of Dharma, who instead carry on without it because they feel they can't "commit" or do "the whole package." Some people out there even discourage people from considering themselves part of the Sangha just because those people are not willing to define rebirth the same way! :v: But the fact is, the Dharma does not belong to anyone. It does not belong to the Sangha, or even to the Buddha. The Dharma is universal, it is a path that leads to the cessation of suffering. It is accessible to everyone. It should be followed to the best of anyone's ability.

If you're able to keep this precept of not drinking, you shouldn't drink! It is not virtuous to do so. It cannot be made virtuous. But recognizing our faults is part of the path, too. If you know you want to drink, and you don't think you can uphold this, or you think it's causing you too much suffering, then just drink. The world will not end if you do not hold that precept. Practice other virtues, and do your best. But be happy!

When asked what practices I should do, my teacher told me many times just "do what you can." I found this extremely frustrating, because I didn't understand. But it is as pertinent to you now as it was to me then, I think. Do what you can, dude. If you can not-drink, then don't drink, but if you must drink, then drink. When you drink, keep in mind the Dharma. I do not think it will be long before you realize that drinking does not offer what you think it does, and you will realize other ways to attain what you want. But, if you never realize that, okay then! You have had a good time.

I quit drinking because, having drank, and contemplating it, I realized it does not do anything for me of value. If I never drank, I could never have realized that, and I'd just be doing a thing because it says to. If you want to drink, it is because you haven't actually realized this either. Maybe if you drink, you'll come to realize it. I hope so, because it's non-virtuous, but I mean, brother, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 7, 2014

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.
I stopped drinking before I took the precepts. I used to be a big drinker and I loved to get real drunk at parties, but then I started with the whole mindfulness business, and when I was drunk I tried to be mindful of how it actually feels to be drunk. For me, being drunk doesn't actually feel good. Besides there's also saying things you regret and the hangover.

If you're gonna drink, I would suggest just paying attention to how it feels and what you say and do. I mean, giving up alcohol was so easy for me after doing this. Now I feel like I am free from alochol, I don't have to drink ever again, yay! :)

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
If you tried to eliminate drinking and it's still on your mind enough to write such a lengthy post about (just teasing), then you likely have unfinished business with it. I used to love drinking but it gradually lost appeal. Two of the biggest factors in that were losing contact with the friends with whose company I found drinking made a special treat and seeing drunk people commit really ugly violence to people they ostensibly loved.

Now it just doesn't appeal to me. If I try to drink and relive the feelings I used to get it makes me feel bad. I was much more partial to marijuana but that has lost interest for me too.

Green_Machine
Jun 28, 2008
I like Paramemetic's post.

I've given up all intoxicants not because I value the precept that rules them out, but because I want to be able at all times to do what I need to do to take care of my son (e.g. drive him to the hospital). Once he's 18 and out of the house, I fully intend to return to using intoxicants. I look forward to that every day. It never occurred to me that my actions count as following the precept; I merely have a higher priority now that supersedes my desire to get intoxicated. While I guess I could get intoxicated sometimes "safely" it's much easier and less risky to maintain a discipline that doesn't require me to make decisions on a case-by-case basis. So for now I follow a blanket "nothing ever" ban.

Maybe at some point I will change and decide to follow the precept. As it is, I plan to get intoxicated at the first "opportunity". That's where I'm at right now. The thought that I won't get high for many years is tolerable. The thought that will never get high again... I can't stomach that.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm not sure this is exactly the right thread to ask, but as far as I know there isn't a Christianity or religious history A/T thread so i'll approach it from this direction.

Why are Buddhism and Christianity so often compared or described as similar? I'm especially thinking here of ideas like Jesus being inspired by Buddhism rather than the two traditions developing independently of each other, which seem to me to be much more popular (relatively) in the West than Asia.

To be honest, i've been inclined to see this as a kind of revisionist history thing with a strong dose of orientalism, but i'd like to hear other people's opinions, either on the similarities and differences between the two religions or especially on the origins/popularity of the notion itself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kellsterik posted:

I'm not sure this is exactly the right thread to ask, but as far as I know there isn't a Christianity or religious history A/T thread so i'll approach it from this direction.

Why are Buddhism and Christianity so often compared or described as similar? I'm especially thinking here of ideas like Jesus being inspired by Buddhism rather than the two traditions developing independently of each other, which seem to me to be much more popular (relatively) in the West than Asia.

To be honest, i've been inclined to see this as a kind of revisionist history thing with a strong dose of orientalism, but i'd like to hear other people's opinions, either on the similarities and differences between the two religions or especially on the origins/popularity of the notion itself.
The Jesus story is not impossible, though the idea that Jesus wandered off for a stint in a Buddhist monastery probably is. However, Buddhism was 500 years old when Christ was alive, and I gather the Romans were at least vaguely aware of its existence.

I imagine the major connection between the two faiths nowadays is that both have strong monastic traditions.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Nessus posted:

The Jesus story is not impossible, though the idea that Jesus wandered off for a stint in a Buddhist monastery probably is. However, Buddhism was 500 years old when Christ was alive, and I gather the Romans were at least vaguely aware of its existence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_the_Roman_world

And there was an entire art movement that was a combination of Greek and Buddhist art.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Some of the Ashokan pillars talk about Buddhist monks being sent as far as Antioch and Alexandria, and name the Greek rulers of the time, etc. There was certainly contact but I think the idea that Jesus was personally influenced by actual Buddhist teachings is pretty hard to make an argument for. And I have certainly seen people try.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Kellsterik posted:

There is a Liturgical Christianity thread but it sometimes serves as a general Christianity thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554109&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

As to similarities. Both Jesus and Buddha were basically Ascetics, though I think that's about as far as you can take it because most Biblical writing and what Buddhist wrtiting I've read tend to be disimilar. Though some of the incompatibilities between them are more between orthodox Christian Theologies. The tradition I'm reading up on now, Process Theology, does deny a soul (as a sort of dualistic mechanism) and stress a God that can and does change.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 13, 2014

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

As to similarities. Both Jesus and Buddha were basically Ascetics, though I think that's about as far as you can take it because most Biblical writing and what Buddhist wrtiting I've read tend to be disimilar.

That's where I get tripped up. I know the contemporary Greeks were probably in contact with Buddhism, but I don't see a significant similarity between those Buddhist ideas and Christianity (that couldn't be explained by a closer tradition).

Thank you for the link, i'll check that thread out!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Quantumfate posted:

This is kind of a derail, I don't want to detract from this thread and belongs in the buddhism thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548558

Were you going to respond then?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Sure!

Rurutia posted:

I thought you were Buddhist? I was very close friends with a Buddhist from Taiwan with a very long lineage of his family being Buddhist. From what I understood, he definitely believed in a soul of some form. At least when he explained reincarnation to me, there was definitely a a soul of sorts. Isn't the reason why Buddhists are vegetarian because they believe in karma, and thus every animal they eat is a life where they will also be eaten?

To break this down: Not every Buddhist is a vegetarian, Theravada buddhists are actually pretty vocal about the non-vegetarian as a sort of response to that misconception. It rests on the idea that a monk dependent on alms should not reject a genuine compassionate gift of food just because it's made of meat. Mahayana buddhists are fairly commonly vegetarian, there's a section of the lankavatara sutra which implores followers of the buddhadharma to abstain from meat because it is an affectation that cultivates non-compassion, it requires death, and there is no fundamental difference between a human form and an animal form. Both are life.

As far as Karma, it does not work that way. If you eat an animal it doesn't mean you'll be reborn as an animal and be eaten, it's a system of causality. That which is a cause, has a result. That's karma. The result of a life of indulging in meat might be such that your actions lead your next birth into that of an animal to be slaughtered; but in no way is that because of retributive comeuppance. It's more something that would happen to be a result. Here's a short little summary of karma:

Quantumfate posted:

Firstly- Karma is the law that states that all our actions, whatever we do with our body, mind or speech have consequences.
To associate this as simple causality may be difficult, as there may be causality without requisite agency, though there is always a initiating cause(Hetu) and a resulting fruit of that effect (Vipaka).
This is related to Pratityasamutpada- which may be thus-understood as dependent origination.
Dependent origination affirms that all effects arise dependent upon multiple causes: nothing exists outside of causality. All effects have a cause and this runs in stark contrast to Hume's Occasionalism; that is to say that all things arise because of either one or many causes that precipitate the event while an occasionalist viewpoint holds that results are effected only incidentally to the percieved cause- an outside agent(usually a divine agent) percipitates the effect, which is not dependent upon the cause.
To view karma as an arbiter that determines effects to be assigned to the cause is wrong view. Karma is the arising of effect, not the occasion of effect.

To understand karma as arisen, and not as occasional or coincidental to causal relationships you need to understand dependent arising.

More specifically, we interpret pratityasamutpada to have twelve specific originations that determine the karmic arising-
Ignorance of that-which-is, of emptiness (1).
Leads to: Fabrication of agency for that-which-is where there is none (2), Bodily, vocally and mentally are these fabrications produced.
Leads to: Consciousness. Six (Eight(3)) consciousnesses arise from the five sensate inputs and the mind-input as a creation of the fabrications. These fabrications about that-which-is state an ego-that-is, rather than that-which-is. Karmically this says we exist as a phenomenon independent of observation, when such cannot be this means we suffer for attachments to ego by consciousness and fabrication about that-which is, but consciousness-
Leads to: Name and Form- We have five means of naming- Feeling, perception, attention, intention and contact. The body of these methods of naming is derived from the four unarised dependent elements that are axiomatic and cannot truly be further broken down- For the buddha fire, earth, air and water(4). Which as applied might be understood as the four states of matter.
Leads to: apellation of the Six-Sense-Media- Interpretation by eye, ear, nose,tongue, touch and mind
leads to: Contact- The Phenomenon that arises from the intermingling of Media, the phenomenal object and the consciousness of that media acting to observe the phenomenal object.
Leads to: Feeling- The six sensate interpretations that arise from action between the Sensate media and the consciousness.
Leads to: Craving of feeling to interpret that-which-is
Leads to: Clinging- Ways of grasping for craving: Sense Clinging, View Clinging, Ritual clinging and Self Clinging.
Leads to: Becoming- Conditioned upon clinging this is the link between life and death, the way that things arise as things, becoming by sense, becoming by form, becoming by formlessness
Leads to: Birth- Birth as any arising or coming-to-be, a new person, a new status, a new anything.
Leads to Jaramarana: Age, death, decay, and all the suffering thus. I prefer the pali here, because an enlightened one does not age. They have realized there is nothing that ages, and aging, being a phenomenal relationship ceases when observation of aging ceases. There is a skin which wrinkles, decays, dies, but this is an empty thing.

If this chain is not, then there can be no karma to arise. Karma can be more deeply understood as that which bears fruit effective upon this chain. Without the chain, no karma, without karma, no chain. If you are ignorant of the fundamental reality, you suffer. If you suffer there is karma. Karma is tied only to samsara. What makes this difficult is that is wrong to say that karma arises only because of this chain. Both are concurrently, tied to each other, without one, no other. but they are not the same.

Dependent origination is the assertion of a causal relationship between phenomenon and participation, of a causal relationship with Karma. From ignorance, ultimately is suffering.

1. ignorance is the denial however slight, that things are inherently devoid of a reified self.
2.A relationship of phemonenal participation that creates a thing which would have a reified self, but by virtue of being cannot be reified
3.A reference that mahayana yogacara philosophy embraces a further division of the mind consciousness into ideative, obfuscative and karmic mind-consciousnesses.(Shut up paramemetic there are eight consciousnesses )

Three false-views of Karma
1) all happiness and all suffering, all future happiness and suffering, all past happiness and suffering is a result of karma. No human volition may effect karma resultantly. I.E Karma is deterministic
2)all dharmas are the direct effect of a supreme agent. I.E Karma is governed by a deity.
3) All happiness, suffering and all dharmas have no cause, are random.

Causal relationships of a Karmic instance
In every instance of karmic arising there is a relationship with the direct causal input- the karmic cause- and other causes which allow that instance to arise.
There are six causes of dharmas
1) All phenomenon that are not the karmic result. Potent causes in this category are the actions that give rise to karmic cause, impotent causes are the actions that allow the karmic arising to occur, mother causes are those actions which allow the prior two actions to occur.
2. Causes simultaneous to the karmic result, a characteristic and that which posesses the characteristic.
3. Other simultaneous causes, those causes which do not necessarily arise concurrent with the karmic effect and do not necessarily relate to characteristics but these are those causes that share the same motivational consciousness and conscious perceptive environment as the karmic effect.
4.Those causes that result in a similar effect, but not the actual effect. If the karmic fruit is a moment of violence, this cause would in this instance bear fruit of violent-moments, but NOT the violent moment that is the karmic fruit.
5. Causes that are driving of other or even the same karmic effect by sharing the same ideative attachment, but which do not relate to that.
6. the karmic cause, which effects a direct result.

There are four conditions as well, of the karmic causal relationship:
1. The conditions of all the above causes save the first.
2. those consciousness-participations which predicate the dominant, karmic conditions.
3. Those conditons which generate the arising of consciousness aspects, much like the dependent arising aspect of contact. An object-dependent conditioning.
4. the karmic conditions!

And finally five co-arisen results in the karmic relationship!
1.Those direct Karmic Results thus arisen from the input of the sixth causative type.
2. effects concordant with the karmic cause
3. the result of predominance wherein all arisen dharmas are conditioned by all other dharmas, a sort of reified fruition.
4. those results which are effected by another's dharmic agency
5. that result which is a cessation of all other results.

Now; regarding his conception of the soul- This is either a means of simplifying it, of misunderstanding on your end, misunderstanding on his or his family's end or just straight up being wrong about what the majority of the faith agrees. One of the fundamental tenets of buddhism, and I mean since the time of the buddha and across all divisions of buddhism, is the concept of Anatta. No-self. There is no solid persistent self. Now, in mahayana and vajrayana buddhism (and mahayana is the most common in Taiwan) there is the concept of Tathagatagarbha, "Buddha-ness". It's the capacity for every being to be enlightened, the absolute unmediated nature of a person free from suffering and liberated. All sentient beings have this, and it might be apprehended as a sort of soul to simplify things without getting into a large theological debate, but it's not quite. Rather than something which is, an inherent aspect, it's more an ultimate reduction, an apophatic expression of a semantic, though not ontological, self.

Tied to this is that Buddhists do not believe in reincarnation, there is nothing to incarnate across lifetimes. Rather the concept is that of rebirth. A succession of linked births and lives that each have their own arising sort of self as an extension of consciousness.

Also tied to that is the mahayana/vajrayana concept of alayavijnana, or the mindstream. Both posit a continually experiential sort of consciousness (consciousness here meaning the way in which we mediate the world and how we relate ourselves to it) that persists across births. This is not however a permanent or essential fixture of a being as much as it's a way of classifying a karmically interdependent chain of events that condition the various mind-arisings across births.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I don't know if this is the right thread, I was looking for the meditation thread but couldn't find it. Anyway, that meditation thread led me to try out Zazen, and I finished my fourth session yesterday.

Something happened on the third time, that still keeps me thinking. Basically I don't know what I experienced, but I felt (and still do) very humbled by it. The best analogy I came up with, was picturing myself swimming in the ocean, and suddenly finding that the Mariana trench is underneath me. It wasn't really negative or positive, there was just this awareness of depth. I don't know if "complexity" might describe it, I think "depth" is better. There was no fear, just depth. Are there any words/concepts in buddhism, that might describe the experience? (I haven't talked to anyone about this yet)

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll

midnightclimax posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread, I was looking for the meditation thread but couldn't find it. Anyway, that meditation thread led me to try out Zazen, and I finished my fourth session yesterday.

Something happened on the third time, that still keeps me thinking. Basically I don't know what I experienced, but I felt (and still do) very humbled by it. The best analogy I came up with, was picturing myself swimming in the ocean, and suddenly finding that the Mariana trench is underneath me. It wasn't really negative or positive, there was just this awareness of depth. I don't know if "complexity" might describe it, I think "depth" is better. There was no fear, just depth. Are there any words/concepts in buddhism, that might describe the experience? (I haven't talked to anyone about this yet)
Take a gander at the concepts of jhana and samhadi:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-samadhi/
You're the only one who can really decide what you felt, and at least in my experience, no word comes close to describing a meditative experience. For example, I could say that I've experienced the first jhana just based on other descriptions of it, but did I really? I don't know. It's sort of like trying to describe the sensation of a new color to other people.
But what you describe certainly sounds normal in the course of zazen. Don't worry too much about assigning labels to it.

Cumshot in the Dark fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 15, 2014

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

But what you describe certainly sounds normal in the course of zazen. Don't worry too much about assigning labels to it.

This, but also don't worry too much about reproducing it, either. A lot of people meditating begin to start looking for these really profound, meaningful meditative sessions, and get confused, thinking these are the goal.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll

Paramemetic posted:

This, but also don't worry too much about reproducing it, either. A lot of people meditating begin to start looking for these really profound, meaningful meditative sessions, and get confused, thinking these are the goal.
Ajahn Brahm used a good analogy for this in one of his books, likening it to a work week. You put in 4 days of work without receiving any wages on those days, but then on the 5th day you get your paycheck. Yet those 4 days are ultimately more important. The paycheck is just encouragement to keep on doing it. If you keep with this long enough, you'll begin to find the mundane or difficult sessions to ultimately be more instructive in your daily life.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Prickly Pete posted:

Some of the Ashokan pillars talk about Buddhist monks being sent as far as Antioch and Alexandria, and name the Greek rulers of the time, etc. There was certainly contact but I think the idea that Jesus was personally influenced by actual Buddhist teachings is pretty hard to make an argument for. And I have certainly seen people try.

at least two of the Jesusan parables are practically word for word the same as Gautama parables. The prodigal son and another I can't think of offhand.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

at least two of the Jesusan parables are practically word for word the same as Gautama parables. The prodigal son and another I can't think of offhand.

I dont recall ever seeing anything that identical, but if you think that is the case I would be very interested in seeing them. A lot had been said on the similarities between the faiths, but most of it that I have seen has been pretty vague and common to most other religions anyway for the most part.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I really like the part of Christianity where Jesus says God is irrelevant and the soul isn't real and I really like the part of Buddhism where it goes on about divine judgement for moral transgressions and how you die once then go to heaven or hell forever.

My personal favourite part is where the Jewish description of the messianic savior goes on about how he's a member of the Tribe and how the Buddhist descriptions of what makes a Buddha include discussing Buddha's foreskin because that's the single funniest bit of mutual exclusivity in the history of theology to me.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I really like the part of Christianity where Jesus says God is irrelevant and the soul isn't real and I really like the part of Buddhism where it goes on about divine judgement for moral transgressions and how you die once then go to heaven or hell forever.

My personal favourite part is where the Jewish description of the messianic savior goes on about how he's a member of the Tribe and how the Buddhist descriptions of what makes a Buddha include discussing Buddha's foreskin because that's the single funniest bit of mutual exclusivity in the history of theology to me.

I like the part about social drinking, where Jesus does make a comparison between John getting criticized for being abstinent and an anchorite and himself, the Son of Man who comes eating and drinking, and the idiots call him a glutton and drunkard.
Maybe you're just not looking in the right places to justify your lifestyle....

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Despite the fact that doctrinal differences between the religions are fairly severe, I think it would require a pretty strong series of parallel texts to show any kind of actual influence. The similarities tend to be pretty superficial from what I have seen: kindness, assisting the poor, nonviolence, shying away from a reliance or attachment to material things, etc.

You can find those tendencies in almost any faith. I dont know that any of Ashoka's missionaries established actual monasteries near the Greeks. Maybe they did, but the idea of direct transmission or even substantial influence of Buddhism on Christianity isn't something I have ever seen a good argument for.

But I'd be very interested in seeing any interesting parallels in the texts if anyone can find some.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Maybe you're just not looking in the right places to justify your lifestyle....

I'm going to tell people I'm not being a lovely precept-breaking Buddhist but I'm actively exploring new syncretic avenues with post-modern interpretations of communion in a Buddhist-Christian tradition.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Prickly Pete posted:

Despite the fact that doctrinal differences between the religions are fairly severe, I think it would require a pretty strong series of parallel texts to show any kind of actual influence. The similarities tend to be pretty superficial from what I have seen: kindness, assisting the poor, nonviolence, shying away from a reliance or attachment to material things, etc.

You can find those tendencies in almost any faith. I dont know that any of Ashoka's missionaries established actual monasteries near the Greeks. Maybe they did, but the idea of direct transmission or even substantial influence of Buddhism on Christianity isn't something I have ever seen a good argument for.

But I'd be very interested in seeing any interesting parallels in the texts if anyone can find some.

To be honest, I don't know that the overall Western mind-culture could even grasp the beauty of buddhism until relatively recently, so it probably never got any further west than, say, Iran, if that far?

But I wouldn't call those similarities superficial by any stretch, they are core tenets to human evolution. If people took those seriously, they wouldn't need religions, imo.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm going to tell people I'm not being a lovely precept-breaking Buddhist but I'm actively exploring new syncretic avenues with post-modern interpretations of communion in a Buddhist-Christian tradition.

Voila. I want a credit in your upcoming book of the same name

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

I want a credit in your upcoming book of the same name

I wonder if "Buddhism without Beliefs" is taken as a book name yet?

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

quote:

But I wouldn't call those similarities superficial by any stretch, they are core tenets to human evolution. If people took those seriously, they wouldn't need religions, imo. 

Superficial wasn't the right word for what I was trying to say. I meant that a lot of the ideas that people often point to as similarities between two faiths can be found almost universally across world religions.

I need to stop posting when I am distracted.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

Take a gander at the concepts of jhana and samhadi:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-samadhi/
You're the only one who can really decide what you felt, and at least in my experience, no word comes close to describing a meditative experience. For example, I could say that I've experienced the first jhana just based on other descriptions of it, but did I really? I don't know. It's sort of like trying to describe the sensation of a new color to other people.

Aha, interesting. Tbh I've done zero reading about zen & buddhism up to now, so still finding my way around.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll

midnightclimax posted:

Aha, interesting. Tbh I've done zero reading about zen & buddhism up to now, so still finding my way around.
Assuming you haven't read it before, this is a great resource: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe1-4.html

And a question for all the practicing Buddhist converts here: How did you end up choosing the particular school you wanted to follow? What was your conversion experience like in general?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I wonder if "Buddhism without Beliefs" is taken as a book name yet?

Well it's great, but it looks like unfortunately, that idiot Steven Batchelor has appropriated it.
"Batchelor...suggests that Buddhism jettison reincarnation and karma, thereby making possible what he calls an 'existential, therapeutic and liberating agnosticism." —Time magazine
Haha, ironic?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Well it's great, but it looks like unfortunately, that idiot Steven Batchelor has appropriated it.
"Batchelor...suggests that Buddhism jettison reincarnation and karma, thereby making possible what he calls an 'existential, therapeutic and liberating agnosticism." —Time magazine
Haha, ironic?
So this guy is like a Buddhist heretic, right? Is there some kind of Shaolin inquisition for that sort of thing? (To express the question in a serious form: How does the Buddhist community deal with things like that?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Nessus posted:

So this guy is like a Buddhist heretic, right? Is there some kind of Shaolin inquisition for that sort of thing? (To express the question in a serious form: How does the Buddhist community deal with things like that?)

They form groups called Secular Buddhist Association and invite him to speak.

Being very monastic, I would imagine traditionally when someone approaches "heresy" they would just get a lot of extra attention from the lead monks until they right the ship as it were.

There were some early ones who basically just got shamed out of existence, I think.

From what I've read of Batchelor he was just very arrogant when it came to monasticism and never really took any instruction seriously. At least that's the gist I got from this review of his Atheist book
http://buddhism.about.com/od/beginnerbuddhistbooks/a/batchelor-confession.htm

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 16, 2014