Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Semi-related: Space Eureka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCtlqtFmKVA

Hace fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Can anybody tell me what are the specific musical inspirations for this series? I know that's something that Watanabe is big on, but I can't seem to pin down any particular influence outside of "Pop." I really like the 50's Beach-Movie call backs, but the music isn't really Hawaiian or surfer-esque. Also, do you think there's some particular meta meaning to the Hawaii influence, with this project being so heavily supported by the States?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Also, do you think there's some particular meta meaning to the Hawaii influence, with this project being so heavily supported by the States?

Nah, this episode in particular started production in January 2013 (possibly earlier), long before Adult Swim got involved. In fact here's a link to some production materials tweeted by Mihara that month - https://twitter.com/mictimiha/status/294721354534621185

Little bit of trivia about the surfing sequence - the entire thing was animated by Hironori Tanaka, the only part of the episode that wasn't animated by Mihara. If you were wondering why the models (its especially noticeable in Dandy's face) changed during that sequence, this is why. Tanaka is well known for both being really, really good and extremely prolific, working on tons of stuff every season.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

All I know is that Dandy made reference to a hawaiian bikini model from the 70s called Agnes Lum and she is fine as hell. I'm glad that the human race still cares so much about a small island chain on one planet even after exploring the entire galaxy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Can anybody tell me what are the specific musical inspirations for this series? I know that's something that Watanabe is big on, but I can't seem to pin down any particular influence outside of "Pop." I really like the 50's Beach-Movie call backs, but the music isn't really Hawaiian or surfer-esque. Also, do you think there's some particular meta meaning to the Hawaii influence, with this project being so heavily supported by the States?

Hawaii is similar to Japan in a lot of ways.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

scary ghost dog posted:

Hawaii is similar to Japan in a lot of ways.

Hawaii is also a very popular tourist destination for Japan, probably due to it being the closest US state.

vv Shut the gently caress up.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 15, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Hawaii is also a very popular tourist destination for Japan, probably due to it being the closest US state.

Including, of course, one very memorable flying visit in December 1941.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Better than Eureka Seven AO.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://space-dandy.com/blog/?p=371

Pretty much confirmed as split cour now since there's a cast talk event on July 26th with story previews.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

aers posted:

http://space-dandy.com/blog/?p=371

Pretty much confirmed as split cour now since there's a cast talk event on July 26th with story previews.

If that's true, I kind of feel like they're making a mistake. Is this show something people will want to come back to after a break?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Well, wasn't the show originally a one cour anyway until AS wanted more?

It may be less of a choice and more of a necessity.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I guess it's just following the trends set by Bebop and Champloo in that regard, then. Though admittedly those cases were more complicated than just that.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Oh Snapple! posted:

Well, wasn't the show originally a one cour anyway until AS wanted more?

It may be less of a choice and more of a necessity.

Adult Swim is a co-financer but that's as specific as they got. They never said "we funded another 13 episodes."

Srice posted:

I guess it's just following the trends set by Bebop and Champloo in that regard, then. Though admittedly those cases were more complicated than just that.

Bebop especially. Its Japanese television launch crashed on the runway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

livingfruitvirus posted:

If that's true, I kind of feel like they're making a mistake. Is this show something people will want to come back to after a break?

Why wouldn't they? Space Dandy is amazing.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
How many last resorts can one man have?!

So you reach the Speed Force/Dandy Buddha with homoeroticism and steamed dumplings?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MadRhetoric posted:

How many last resorts can one man have?!

So you reach the Speed Force/Dandy Buddha with homoeroticism and steamed dumplings?

As many as one man needs!

Seems legit to me. How else are you supposed to do it?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
That wacky races poo poo was great. Machine Head Space Dandy, Mr. Redline

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Man, those utena references.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Everything about this episode just worked so well, a perfect embodiment of what this show is all about. Hilarious, great action, lots of fun, and...that ending. THAT ENDING.

And I know it's way too soon to be asking for a soundtrack, but I really want that soundtrack.

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 16, 2014

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Yeah the soundtrack was loving bringing it tonight

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I liked the swipe at Disney's history of lawsuits.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of disappointed that there wasn't a Captain Falcon parody/homage, but I know he's more of a videogame guy and not a famous anime fella. Well, aside from THAT scene...

Great episode though. I love Meow as the worst ever pit crew.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Everything about that episode was great. I especially loved Eric Vale continuing his trend of voicing womaniziers named Prince, though at least this time he got to be successful and super-popular.

That ending, though. Goddamn, I saw where they were going with it and I just started laughing a full minute before my friends caught on. It was beautiful.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
That was amazing. This show is all I hoped for and so much more. I normally hate any show with a lack of continuity, but Space Dandy is different. It's really in a universe of its own.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sincx posted:

That was amazing. This show is all I hoped for and so much more. I normally hate any show with a lack of continuity, but Space Dandy is different. It's really in a universe of its own.

It's ahead of it's time, if this episode is anything to go by.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That was a fun episode, the thing that still gets me in this show is the minor poo poo they animate that they could easily have shortcut a lot more, like the audiences.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Was the race announcer also voiced by a male VA in the English dub? That was kind of jarring watching subs.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

pandaK posted:

Was the race announcer also voiced by a male VA in the English dub?

Yep.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
So dandy that he knocks the sparkles out of a bishounen's hair. That's my Dandy.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Zorak posted:

That was a fun episode, the thing that still gets me in this show is the minor poo poo they animate that they could easily have shortcut a lot more, like the audiences.

Does a heart good to see they're still putting all that Brotherhood money to good use.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
I feel disheartened at how so... mediocre this show feels to me.

It looks and sounds absolutely amazing. There are some real fun moments and I'm certainly not bored while watching it, but afterwards all I feel is just "eh, that was ok." I can acknowledge all the good stuff, but just don't find myself enjoying it as much as I should. I'm going to keep watching, though, just so I could see how wacky it all gets.

Also, the music is great. When are we getting the soundtrack? I need it.

Franz von Dada fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 17, 2014

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

pandaK posted:

Was the race announcer also voiced by a male VA in the English dub? That was kind of jarring watching subs.

It was a little weird at first, but I loved that little bit. It's an alien, just because it had feminine qualities according to a human mindset doesn't mean it has to be a woman.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kuroyama posted:

It was a little weird at first, but I loved that little bit. It's an alien, just because it had feminine qualities according to a human mindset doesn't mean it has to be a woman.

Its a flower alien, most flowers have parts for both genders.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its a flower alien, most flowers have parts for both genders.

Wow this show is deep in all the wrong ways.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I'm pretty sure that Dandy is super competent, it's just that his head is so far up his own rear end that he can't see half the time.

Also, there apparently continuity between this episode and the last, because Meow brings up that Dandy had made up the story about being a surfer from the previous episode. Cool.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The music at times reminded me a lot of the F-Zero soundtrack.

That was not the ending I was expecting, and it was transcendent.

Snodgrass Supreme
Nov 6, 2012

This episode was fantastic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I gotta give the Space Dandy writers for beating every single fanfic writer to the punch on creative language.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Promo #8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAUo5jHzIXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Epic meme win.

• Locked thread