Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So, what's a good all around lens for the xt-1? I'll probably go body only, and since I'm house shopping I won't be able to go all out on a few lenses right off the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

fknlo posted:

So, what's a good all around lens for the xt-1? I'll probably go body only, and since I'm house shopping I won't be able to go all out on a few lenses right off the bat.

35mm f1.4 is pretty much perfection you can buy for $400-450 right now. Or if you are a zoom lens babby go with the 18-55 kit lens which you can usually buy for $300-350 on craigslist from someone.

the 27mm is pretty decent deal too at $200 currently but I would honestly pay the extra and get the 35.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

fknlo posted:

I agree with Keyframe. The 23mm f/1.4 is lovely too, though bigger than the 35mm.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
I wonder if Fuji is going to do a MKII of the 35mm to upgrade the focus motor. Would be nice if it were quieter and faster.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

krooj posted:

I wonder if Fuji is going to do a MKII of the 35mm to upgrade the focus motor. Would be nice if it were quieter and faster.

I was planning on buying one in the next week or two, so I'm guessing they'll announce it in three weeks.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

krooj posted:

They probably will, since in that interview he mentioned they were planning to refresh the lens lineup. And I second the 23/1.4 as an all-rounder lens because 35mm is usually more flexible than 50mm in most situations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

fknlo posted:

The 35 owns. That new 56 1.2 looks baller as gently caress but it's prob a little long for general purpose photography. As always it's a matter of what you plan to shoot mostly.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

fknlo posted:

I'll buck the trend and suggest going kit if you're new to the system. That 18-55 is a kit lens in name only and if it's the only lens you have for the system, you'll appreciate the versatility of focal lengths and IS.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

fknlo posted:

krooj posted:

I'll buck the trend and suggest going kit if you're new to the system. That 18-55 is a kit lens in name only and if it's the only lens you have for the system, you'll appreciate the versatility of focal lengths and IS.

Seconded. If you're not sure what focal length you like, a zoom kit lens is a good way to find out.

When you really want a prime, I think the 35mm is the most value for money Fuji lens.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
In that same vein, if I have the 35mm 1.4, what is a good second lens? I was thinking about getting the 55-200 3.5, but I've heard that the focusing speed on it isn't superb and I'm not sure I'll ever need the 300mm equivalent or whatever it is (what is that used for usually? Wildlife?).

So I was thinking I'd get the 27 2.8 instead, and wait to see if they come out with anything better, zoom lens wise? Or is the 55-200 actually decent?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Geektox posted:

In that same vein, if I have the 35mm 1.4, what is a good second lens? I was thinking about getting the 55-200 3.5, but I've heard that the focusing speed on it isn't superb and I'm not sure I'll ever need the 300mm equivalent or whatever it is (what is that used for usually? Wildlife?).

So I was thinking I'd get the 27 2.8 instead, and wait to see if they come out with anything better, zoom lens wise? Or is the 55-200 actually decent?

I actually tried the 55-200 today. IQ wise it is an amazing lens. It is not heavy and the IS works insanely well. That said I decided against buying it because 55-135 f2.8 will be out soon and it will be weather sealed. I decided to wait for that. The AF speed on the 55-200 goes from fast on 55 to hope you are photographing a statue on 200 on the X-E1. So you are not going to be taking pictures of birds in flight with that if that's the kinda thing you were hoping for.

I would also recommend against the 27mm if you already have the 35. It is literally the difference of taking a step back with the 35, save your money for another lens.

If you are ok with manual focusing samyang has a 85mm f1.4 which is amazing optically and is 135 equivalent. Mine arrives this week so I will tell you guys how it is when I receive it. You can also get some cheap MF glass at the moment and just throw it on the fuji with an adapter. I am still in love with my Nikkor 50mm f1.4.

On the wide end I decided to get the 10-24mm zoom. By all accounts it is amazing optics and build quality wise and it will save me the trouble of buying and carrying a 14mm and a 23mm.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geektox posted:

35mm, 14mm, 56mm, go for the best. And top it off with a lens cap 24mm

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Geektox posted:

What do you like to shoot?

Buying lenses isn't about filling up holes between 10mm and 600mm.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The 55-200 is a great lens but it really depends on what you want to shoot.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I think ideally I'd like to get better at shooting candids and street scenes, and eventually I'd want to get better at portraits, for my own use I really like the 50mm focal length. But right now I'm in journalism school where we have to shoot our own pictures for our articles, and so in the last while I've had to shoot everything from people to buildings to landscapes to sports, so I guess in a way I am just buying to cover a wide range.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you're looking for a fixed length lens to compliment the 35mm, you'll probably want something wider, like the 18mm. 50mm (equivalent) is workable outdoors but quickly becomes too long to work with when you have to step inside.

If you want a zoom lens to extend beyond the 35, the 55-200 really your only choice, though if you're not sure you'll be shooting lots of sports with it...meh.

Honestly you should have the 18-55mm (a.k.a. 24-70) in your bag at this point if you're a learning photojournalist. I've been using one for over 6 years and I'm only now considering myself at a point where I'm confident in dropping it from my lineup (and even then only because I'm trying to shrink my gear).

Fuji's releasing a proper 24-70 f/2.8 equivalent later this year, but it's probably going to be expensive as hell so I wouldn't hold out for it if I were you.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
So So So want that new 50mm converter for the X100. Hoping they also release a firmware for the original x100, but should work alright in RAW with EVF either way.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just sold my x-e1. :smith:

What am I going to do without a camera for two weeks? :negative:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
You only had one camera? :stare:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Poor baby. I have a mint Fujifilm DS-7 I can lend you.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Go down to goodwill and get set up for a two week film-cation.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

keyframe posted:

Just sold my x-e1. :smith:

What am I going to do without a camera for two weeks? :negative:

Still want a Fuji? Grab one of these and tote it around instead. Warning, it's not mirrorless, and will probably give you a hernia.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Hell I want a Fuji, they seem to be a nice company that'll actually backport some of their new additions and all that good stuff.
But then I looked at the price, and I must've gotten my Nex real cheap, because there's no way I can afford a Fuji and a few lenses.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

-Anders posted:

Hell I want a Fuji, they seem to be a nice company that'll actually backport some of their new additions and all that good stuff.
But then I looked at the price, and I must've gotten my Nex real cheap, because there's no way I can afford a Fuji and a few lenses.

Yeah if there's one thing about Fuji they're not cheap, well you could get a XA1 and some XC lenses but that's about it. I'm hoping the 27mm I just ordered is a good walk around lens as the 35 is a little large.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

-Anders posted:

You can get Fuji cameras second hand for dirt cheap. Never buy it new unless you need it right away like I do.

Fuji also runs sales more than any other company. Olly is still selling the EM-5 for 1k since release here. I think the most I have seen it drop is $50 during boxing day.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

-Anders posted:

Yeah, sadly the Fuji's are expensive as hell. You can get used bodies cheapish on KEH ($300-450) but even the kit lens costs way more than any used body.

edit: Now'd be a really good time to buy in actually, the X-A1 and X-M1 kits are cheapish new on Amazon or B&H because of a sale.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 17, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, sadly the Fuji's are expensive as hell. You can get used bodies cheapish on KEH ($300-450) but even the kit lens costs way more than any used body.

edit: Now'd be a really good time to buy in actually, the X-A1 and X-M1 kits are cheapish new on Amazon or B&H because of a sale.

You can buy the kit lens for $250-300 on craigslist.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

poopinmymouth posted:

So So So want that new 50mm converter for the X100. Hoping they also release a firmware for the original x100, but should work alright in RAW with EVF either way.

Have you tried the wide teleconverter?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fuji entry level and midrange bodies are about $150-200 more than the Sony bodies in the same class. Fuji lens are not more expensive than Sony lens in the same class, if you care to look.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

keyframe posted:

Fuji also runs sales more than any other company. Olly is still selling the EM-5 for 1k since release here. I think the most I have seen it drop is $50 during boxing day.

Uh, maybe off their own site, but Fuji is the brand I see on sale least often at actual retailers, and usually with minimal 10-15% discounts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is Fuji really that expensive second hand? If you factor in the 35 1.4 I bought it with, the body cost me about $300 on Craigslist.

I guess that's not fair since it was a bundle and if you just wanted a kit lens setup it probably wouldn't have been that cheap, but still.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I've seen quite a few deals on Fuji gear via B&H and Amazon. I don't really watch other brands though so I'm not sure how they compare. The deals that are going right now on the XF lenses are really good.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

keyframe posted:

You can buy the kit lens for $250-300 on craigslist.

Really? You live in BC too, right? I haven't seen it go for less than $400 in the last few weeks.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
e: nevermind, bad search skillz

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 17, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cacator posted:

In OLYMPUS NEWS they just announced a 7-14mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 prime. http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/02/12/new-olympus-7-14-2-8-pro-and-300-f4-pro-announced/

:slick: gently caress YEAH :slick:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DJExile posted:

:slick: gently caress YEAH :slick:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm sort of behind on my mirrorless knowledge, who is in the lead as far as a mirrorless system. Is Canon slated to replace that abomination known as the EOS M? Mirrorless is a thing I could get into if a manufacturer takes it seriously.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rcman50166 posted:

I'm sort of behind on my mirrorless knowledge, who is in the lead as far as a mirrorless system. Is Canon slated to replace that abomination known as the EOS M? Mirrorless is a thing I could get into if a manufacturer takes it seriously.

Olympus Fuji and Sony are taking it pretty seriously. Canon hasn't said anything official - I doubt they will abandon it completely, but I equally doubt they'll be super committed to it for a while to come - they were dipping their toes in the water for the future.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

rcman50166 posted:

They already did, but it was a japan only release.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/canon-unveils-eos-m2-in-china-and-japan-1204837

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rcman50166 posted:

Nikon and Canon aren't taking it seriously (yet) because they don't need to. The only companies that jumped on board are companies that can't/won't compete with the big two on the <$1k market. Mirrorless was Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic etc opportunity to break into the market another direction than the traditional DSLR. And why Canon/Nikon don't need to, because they would be competing with themselves in a market they are already crushing.

Fuji and M43 are taking it more seriously than Sony, which is taking it more seriously than Canon and Nikon.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 17, 2014