Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pokeyman posted:

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything I can do on my end. When you say "prompting" do you mean in the App Store's Updates tab? Or is it more in your face?

The App Store icon has a "1" on its icon, and when I click App Store and the "Updates" tab, it lists the Awful App but it just says "Open" and the icon won't change even after I've updated and opened the app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

101 posted:

I'd rather have it swipe back into the thread you've just swiped out of, personally

These aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Swipe on the thread cell to remove bookmark. Swipe from the screen edge to go into the thread.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

EugeneJ posted:

The App Store icon has a "1" on its icon, and when I click App Store and the "Updates" tab, it lists the Awful App but it just says "Open" and the icon won't change even after I've updated and opened the app

Try killing the App Store and re-launching it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
iPhone 4S, app was crashing on start up. Fixed it by deleting the app, reinstalling it. However the issue comes back if I go into dark mode.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IllegallySober posted:

Try killing the App Store and re-launching it.

Didn't fix anything

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm loving everything about the app except how often the bookmarks page refreshes and hangs while loading. It's frustrating to click a thread with one new post, read it, go right back to the bookmarks page and have it freeze for a few seconds while it refreshes, especially if I was just going to click on a thread right below the one I just read. Often I end up inadvertently misclicking because the threads load and change position.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Sometimes I click a bookmarked thread to see a new post, and I'll see a single post. Hitting back a page goes one full page back, skipping the page of posts on the same as the new one. What causes this?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Red posted:

Sometimes I click a bookmarked thread to see a new post, and I'll see a single post. Hitting back a page goes one full page back, skipping the page of posts on the same as the new one. What causes this?

By default, Awful only shows new posts in a thread. Look above the single post and you'll see a "Previous Posts" button; that'll load the rest of the page.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

Didn't fix anything

I had to log out of my AppleID then log back in before the update appeared. Or possibly logging out had nothing to do with it and waiting was all that was required. Regardless, the app store sucks and is buggy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kaethela posted:

If you open a thread and have it load only the last post of a page (because that's the next unread post) it becomes impossible to get to the next page by pulling up.

You can't do it in one swipe, but it will work if you use both thumbs to do a one-two "double jump" upward swipe. It's fun and easy :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Jotted down some +1s for the bug reports above. Keep 'em coming y'all.

By request I've uploaded dSYMs to GitHub for the last two versions. You can find them on the releases page. Here's 2.0.3, the current App Store version. And here's 2.0.2. (If this is gibberish to you: a dSYM helps a developer figure out what's causing crashes in an app.)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The app store bug where it kept asking me to install an old version has resolved itself - this morning it let me re-download the current version and then the update notification disappeared.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

The app store bug where it kept asking me to install an old version has resolved itself - this morning it let me re-download the current version and then the update notification disappeared.

Weird poo poo. Glad it's sorted!

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!
I'm having similar problems where the app crashes trying to load the main forums list. I have about 2 seconds (slightly longer if the app was freshly launched) to try and get to bookmarks. Apart from that, really appreciating the app, so thank you volunteer goons!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

PFlats posted:

By default, Awful only shows new posts in a thread. Look above the single post and you'll see a "Previous Posts" button; that'll load the rest of the page.

Ohhhhhhh, okay.

That works.

StuL87
Oct 21, 2008
The latest version feels a lot more polished even though I can't quite put my finger on the changes that make it feel that way! Thanks to everyone for a great app.

I have a request/suggestion that I think will improve the iPad experience by a massive amount. When selecting a thread don't expand the content panel to 100% width. Instead leave the bar with the forums, bookmarks, PMs, and settings buttons visible. That allows you to get back to the forums/bookmarks without having to hunt for the button because everything is always in the same place.

Thoughts and opinions?

NicktheNorse
Dec 30, 2004
Make it Fly!

spacetimecontinuu posted:

I love this app, but there's one thing that drives me crazy. When I'm reading a thread and have to turn off my phone or minimize the app for whatever reason, the app will refresh the page and take me back to the top whenever I unlock my phone or bring the app back up. It didn't always do this; the app would only refresh when I pulled the page up or down. This means that I lose my spot whenever I can't sit and read something all the way through.

Otherwise I absolutely love the app and can't find any problem with it.

pokeyman posted:

Unintentional bug. Working on it for next version :)

I'm using the latest version on an iPhone 5, and I'm seeing this behaviour. Whenever I open the app after having left it open mid-way down a page it scrolls me back up the the top, losing my place in the thread. Is this something that's been addressed yet? It might just be down to iOS's now seemingly poorer memory management, and then I suppose it might not ever be solveable.

Something else I wanted to check was the behaviour of the app in going to the last read message in a thread. If there are multiple pages in a thread and I've read a portion of a page (as in, I've scrolled half way down a page, say) and I change screens (say I change to another subforum or go settings or something), when I then want to come back to the thread (by way of, for example, my bookmarks) I get taken to the first unread post on the page after the one I had previously been reading. It behaves as if I had actually finished reading the previous page, even though I had only read half of it. It doesn't automatically remember how far down you've scrolled and then set that point as the "post last read" point.

I hope my explanation of that makes sense. I seem to remember that the iOS 6 version of the app didn't do this and correctly remembered your last read position mid-way down a page, but I might totally be mistaken and this may not ever have been possible in the iOS app.

Thanks for all your hard work on bringing us this app (FOR FREE!!), it's probably my most used app on my phone :)

NicktheNorse fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 18, 2014

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Can I go back to previous years' Comedy Goldmines (the subforum) using the Awful app?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

StuL87 posted:

I have a request/suggestion that I think will improve the iPad experience by a massive amount. When selecting a thread don't expand the content panel to 100% width. Instead leave the bar with the forums, bookmarks, PMs, and settings buttons visible. That allows you to get back to the forums/bookmarks without having to hunt for the button because everything is always in the same place.

I've been thinking about it, actually just before you mentioned it because I'm fixing up the iPad split view stuff. It just doesn't seem that helpful, because tapping the tab would have to show the forums/bookmarks list.

It would get around the current stupidity of Awful freezing for a second when it refreshes a forum or your bookmarks, but that's a bug that needs addressing head on.

NicktheNorse posted:

Something else I wanted to check was the behaviour of the app in going to the last read message in a thread. If there are multiple pages in a thread and I've read a portion of a page (as in, I've scrolled half way down a page, say) and I change screens (say I change to another subforum or go settings or something), when I then want to come back to the thread (by way of, for example, my bookmarks) I get taken to the first unread post on the page after the one I had previously been reading. It behaves as if I had actually finished reading the previous page, even though I had only read half of it. It doesn't automatically remember how far down you've scrolled and then set that point as the "post last read" point.

I hope my explanation of that makes sense. I seem to remember that the iOS 6 version of the app didn't do this and correctly remembered your last read position mid-way down a page, but I might totally be mistaken and this may not ever have been possible in the iOS app.

It's definitely fixable, just gotta get around to it. :) iOS 7 does seem a bit more aggressive about terminating apps, but that's no excuse for doing a poor job here.

Awful 1 (the iOS 5/6 version) didn't save state at all. If it got terminated, you were dumped back to the main screen on relaunch.

goferchan posted:

Can I go back to previous years' Comedy Goldmines (the subforum) using the Awful app?

Nope. Adding archives support is on the list but isn't in yet.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Ah does it use the archives interface somehow even for people who don't have archives access? Thanks for the response and thanks to you & all other contributors a LOT for the app by the way. I get a ton of use out of it and it's been cool to watch it grow and improve.

Edit: is there a way to remove the top/bottom bars when reading a thread? I know pinching used to work, but it doesn't seem to now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

goferchan posted:

Ah does it use the archives interface somehow even for people who don't have archives access? Thanks for the response and thanks to you & all other contributors a LOT for the app by the way. I get a ton of use out of it and it's been cool to watch it grow and improve.

Edit: is there a way to remove the top/bottom bars when reading a thread? I know pinching used to work, but it doesn't seem to now.

Yep that's archives, it's just free in the goldmine. When Awful gains archives support it'll magically start working.

Awful doesn't hide the bars yet but it's on the list.

StuL87
Oct 21, 2008

pokeyman posted:

I've been thinking about it, actually just before you mentioned it because I'm fixing up the iPad split view stuff. It just doesn't seem that helpful, because tapping the tab would have to show the forums/bookmarks list.

But I think that's the exact behaviour you would want:

1. Click thread to view => thread takes centre stage and takes 95% of the screen space (and why shouldn't it, that's what you're looking at and are interested in).

2. You finish reading the thread so need to find another one => press the forums/bookmarks button.

I think this is probably how almost everyone uses the iPad app because the current layout means the thing you are primarily focusing on occupies ~50% of the screen which just isn't enough. This would automate a manual process that currently involves two presses of a button that is not in a particularly accessible place, and as we have seen from reports in this thread, not intuitive either.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

That's not necessarily true, though. The two pane view is great for skimming through a bunch of threads quickly, like catching up on my bookmarks. I'd settle for the "fullscreen in portrait, split in landscape" mode of the old version, personally.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

That's not necessarily true, though. The two pane view is great for skimming through a bunch of threads quickly, like catching up on my bookmarks. I'd settle for the "fullscreen in portrait, split in landscape" mode of the old version, personally.

This is what's happening.

I do like exploring other ideas though, from time to time. I should probably be more hesitant to implement them in the future.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I honesty still think my iPad layout would work good if it was fully implemented. Nav bar always shows, posts view covers 2/3 of the forums / bookmarks pane after a thread is tapped, tapping or scrolling bookmarks / forums auto expands.

I'm always for more settings than you guys, but I think it's necessary because there's such a wide variation of use cases. So I'd also add a setting for iPad layout labeled "Hide bookmarks/forums", with the default 2/3 selected, and options for "completely" and "never" and I feel like all your use cases would be covered.

Edit: Disclaimer: I know the 2/3 isn't clever, intuitive, or beneficial over sliding the panel out, I just like it for whatever reason. Oh and if my route went with the settings item, it might be worth it to have landscape / portrait separated. I know that's a pain in the rear end though.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 20, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I honesty still think my iPad layout would work good if it was fully implemented. Nav bar always shows, posts view covers 2/3 of the forums / bookmarks pane after a thread is tapped, tapping or scrolling bookmarks / forums auto expands.

I'm not gonna say "no", but maybe "it's low on the list"?

If anyone wants to make it though, I'll toss it out in a beta.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Am I missing some way to see user titles? In awful.apk tapping on an avatar would enlarge it/show their title, maybe I'm just dumb but I can't figure out how to do it on my ipad here.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wrist Watch posted:

Am I missing some way to see user titles? In awful.apk tapping on an avatar would enlarge it/show their title, maybe I'm just dumb but I can't figure out how to do it on my ipad here.

We only have them in the user profile.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Possible bug report:

The iOS Games Megathread in Inspect Your Gadgets will not load page 432 (the most recent page) for me in the app no matter what I do. I'm not sure if something got posted there that the app can't load or what. Can someone else try to open that thread in the app and tell me if they can get it to work? For me, it attempts to load the thread and then brings up a blank screen with "end of the thread" and hitting previous posts does nothing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

Possible bug report:

The iOS Games Megathread in Inspect Your Gadgets will not load page 432 (the most recent page) for me in the app no matter what I do. I'm not sure if something got posted there that the app can't load or what. Can someone else try to open that thread in the app and tell me if they can get it to work? For me, it attempts to load the thread and then brings up a blank screen with "end of the thread" and hitting previous posts does nothing.

Definitely not just you. I'm on it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The Dave posted:

We only have them in the user profile.

Oh. In that case I guess I have a bug report: I can't see uer titles because trying to view user profiles instantly crashes the app. I also managed to crash the app again just now by trying to go back a page in a thread after crashing it by attempting to view a profile, but going back two pages and forward one fixed the problem. :iiam:

Other than that everything seems to work great.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh. In that case I guess I have a bug report: I can't see uer titles because trying to view user profiles instantly crashes the app. I also managed to crash the app again just now by trying to go back a page in a thread after crashing it by attempting to view a profile, but going back two pages and forward one fixed the problem. :iiam:

Other than that everything seems to work great.

Fixed that page of the iOS Games thread.

Are you on an iPhone 5S, iPad Air, or retina iPad Mini? If so, the profile crashing bug is fixed in the next version.

Not sure about that other crash, but we should have the crash report so we'll get to it some day :)

edit: Throw some love to theblackw0lf for editing out the troublesome character in a post on that page of the iOS games thread.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 20, 2014

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Would it be possible for you to post a to-do list for the app, so we know what features are upcoming? It might also help cut down on certain things getting requested/reported way too frequently.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kaethela posted:

Would it be possible for you to post a to-do list for the app, so we know what features are upcoming? It might also help cut down on certain things getting requested/reported way too frequently.

I intentionally don't do this for a couple reasons. One is I don't want to promise any timeline for any particular feature. The other is that I find "me too!" posts helpful for prioritizing.

If you're curious, there's a haphazard list of bugs and features on GitHub. I tend not to keep it up to date until someone's interested in writing some code or otherwise fixing things, at which point I open a bunch of new issues and Diabolik900 gets mad at me. Though I certainly have no problem with people opening issues or commenting on them. It just doesn't seem to happen much.

There's also a project.log thread where we talk a bit more about upcoming features. It's no todo list but it might slake your thirst a bit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Using the newest update of the app on my iPad mini with retina display, I had avatars and images turned off, so I clicked a user's profile to see their avatar, and the app crashes.

Edit: Hmm, I get a crash even when I turn images/avatars back on.

Red fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 20, 2014

StuL87
Oct 21, 2008

carry on then posted:

I guess orientation is key and I totally missed it in my post. It probably also explains why I'm finding the app so awkward to use - I used to operate in landscape mode but then my stand broke so now I'm a portrait user.

For what it's worth, I agree 100% with your last sentence and I'm glad to see that's where we're heading. Thanks pokey!

The Dave posted:

I'm always for more settings than you guys, but I think it's necessary because there's such a wide variation of use cases. So I'd also add a setting for iPad layout labeled "Hide bookmarks/forums", with the default 2/3 selected, and options for "completely" and "never" and I feel like all your use cases would be covered.

Edit: Disclaimer: I know the 2/3 isn't clever, intuitive, or beneficial over sliding the panel out, I just like it for whatever reason. Oh and if my route went with the settings item, it might be worth it to have landscape / portrait separated. I know that's a pain in the rear end though.

Wasn't the old version a 2/3 layout? I feel like we now have more information in the thread listing than before and I can't visualise it working at a narrower width in portrait mode. Would be very interested to see a mock up of this because I could also get behind this idea too.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Using the newest update of the app on my iPad mini with retina display, I had avatars and images turned off, so I clicked a user's profile to see their avatar, and the app crashes.

Edit: Hmm, I get a crash even when I turn images/avatars back on.

It's a mystery 64-bit device bug that only happens on device. It's fixed in the next version, but the profile is broken on 64-bit devices until then.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I would like to report a really goofy thing that has happened to the app since I became a mod, if this isn't something that I should disclose (like the other thing I posted a while back that chooch was helping with) let me know.

Somehow lovedump is on the forums list right above LAN and it crashes the app when I click on it. I have no idea how you guys would fix it since it only started happening when I got access to the mod only areas, but either way it's really funny to me.

And load times have been really weird lately, even when on wifi.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Every time I attempt to view someone's profile the application crashes. I'm running on dark mode if that helps. iOS7 on an iPhone 5S.

E: oops, just saw the posts above me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Instead of adding new features why not revert to the pre iOS 7 version of the app which worked flawlessly.

Congratulations on making the only app that freezes so hard I can't even quit it with the home button. Try viewing a profile lol.

And what's the point of filtering posts by a user if you can't unfilter by a post to get the context like you could in the old version.

• Locked thread