Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

BlitzBlast posted:

I checked the official Bandai website to see what's up, and apparently it rolls out on the 15th. So I don't even know.

SunriseWeb announced it on the official twitter for today too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I guess it just hit the shelves early then. Here's hoping MG Exia RII also jumps the gun, I don't want to wait till the 18th.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The only thing I've seen them mention by name for today otherwise was GM Sniper K9.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I already got it, and it'll be my last purchase until MG Turn X in May. Nothing you release can tempt me now Bandai, bring it. :colbert:

poo poo, I got ambushed by a third party. Just blew $70 on two GX-bit conversion kits, drat my love of Gundam X. :negative:

Seriously though, this is a pretty amazing deal considering the only other option is the hideously expensive B-Club mold.

EDIT: On the plus side, at least now I'm absolutely certain I won't impulse buy RG Exia. Or MG Build mkII. Or anything, hell I'm not even sure I'm going to pick up MG Turn X now.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 14, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For those who've built a Jesta Cannon, anyone finding the wrists are a little loose? The hands will sit once they're posed, but they pop out pretty drat easily on mine.

I'd also like to note that getting that teensy little shiny laser sight sticker on the big rifle was a challenge. That fucker requires black rituals and the damning of innocent souls to get into place.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd also like to note that getting that teensy little shiny laser sight sticker on the big rifle was a challenge. That fucker requires black rituals and the damning of innocent souls to get into place.

I can confirm this, hell it's why I haven't assembled the other gun yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

I can confirm this, hell it's why I haven't assembled the other gun yet.

Somehow, I managed to get the little fucker in there though :shepface:.

Thought it was a bit lacking without a shield, so I stuck the shield parts from the Amazing Booster on it. I also added one of the Amazing Weapon Binder's knives to the right hip hardpoint, just for something different. The standard "holding" hand can't hold it, the handle's a shade too thick, but it looks quite good. The left side's just got the beam saber holster.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

This Nu Gundam won't be just for show! Wait, it will mostly be for show.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

"Something something spacenoids."

Unfortunately I hosed up with the eye's waterslide.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm the best at making the Gundam. Only not really, I've been dragging on this forever. :sweatdrop:

The waterslide for the eyes was horrible, so I'm planning on replacing it with the foil sticker.

Also in some odd inverse of the Zeong, everything but the arms is done. Dunno why I haven't made the arms yet, I just haven't.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Today I discovered that GundamPlanet's showroom is within driving distance of my home.
There goes the rest of my disposable income.

On the other hand, does anyone have a link to that amazing Ver. Ka Nu Gundam that's heavily modded with all the added panel line details, and the multicolored effects on the backs of the fin funnels? I remember it was going around here a while ago but can't seem to find it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Here ya go.

edit: added non-lovely link.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 16, 2014

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Great, thanks much. I hadn't realized it sold for so much, that's kind of insane.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you've ever wanted an Ex-S, but don't have the time to make either the HG or MG look less terrible, this will probably interest you. It'll be out of scale with the rest of your stuff (1/200 or so), but it's pretty neat and cheaper than the actual MG even with GGinfinite's ridiculous markup.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Preordered it as soon as they had it listed last year because i'm a schmuck

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

Preordered it as soon as they had it listed last year because i'm a schmuck

Not just you. I have every one of the Standarts that they've put out. I had them all on my desk at work until the 9th set, then it got to be too much.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Speaking of, I just finished my MG Ex-S last night and I really don't get why people call it the final boss of the MG Line.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ex-S is legitimately the hardest MG gets due to its transformation and outdated engineering. The thing is that Gunpla is really, really easy.

Reive
May 21, 2009

So uh, I've never built any kits before (well besides a Ferrari Testarossa over a decade ago).
I've been real into Gundam Blue Destiny lately (and pissed the manga never finished the story arc :argh:) and noticed there's a 1/144 HGUC Blue Destiny Unit-1 for really cheap, knowing that HGUC's are fairly good for beginners and Unit-1 being a relatively simple design I think I want to get one soon.
But what all would I need to build it?
I know it's snap together pieces and I'd probably want a hobby knife to get rid of nubs, but I don't intend to do any painting, and due to the way its colored I don't know if panel lining would actually look good or not.

Thoughts?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You're in luck, I just finished editing that part of the guide.

quote:

Note: Almost all of the tools I suggest here have some sort of equally valid substitute. I want to avoid overwhelming you with options though, so I'm only listing what I consider to be the best picks.

The first tier is the bare minumum. You need a kit, micro flush cutters (Xuron 410s make a good budget option), a hobby knife (look for one with a cap), and superglue. That last one isn't needed if you stick to Gunpla, but if you want to get into ships or military kits it's needed.

The second tier encompasses basic touch-up tools. You'll want multiple grits of sandpaper (I recommend 400, 800, and 1200 for regular sandpaper, and fine/rough for sanding sticks), a mechanical pencil with 0.3mm lead, plastic cement, and disposable latex gloves.

The third tier has everything you might need to put on a decal. You want a cutting mat, clear tape, some sort blunt instrument, Pledge FloorCare Multisurface Finish (more commonly known as Future, called Klear in the UK), decal setter, some q-tips, and a source of clean water.

In between tiers three and four is a clear coat. I put it in here because I'd like you to buy a protective facemask along with it, and what kind you get depends. If you're planning on going the full nine yards into the hobby, definitely pick up a respirator. If not, a simple filter mask will do.

The fourth tier includes everything you'd need for painting: a degreaser, 90% or more concentrated rubbing alcohol, paint, paint thinner, paint cups, masking tape, and primer. You'll also want something to keep your pieces in the air while the paint dries; a lot of people do what I did here and rig something up with a styrofoam block and alligator clips, but you can buy something more official too.

You'll also need something to paint with. What you should use is somewhat complex though, so I'll get into that in the appropriate section.

The fifth and final tier is an assortment of various modificiation tools. This includes sheets of styrene plastic (colloquially known as "plaplate"), a pin vice with small drill bits, brass rods (not pictured) of the same size as the drill bits, modelling putty, add-on kits, a scriber, a base for a diorama, scale props, and an active imagination.

Also any kit benefits from panel lining.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

You're in luck, I just finished editing that part of the guide.

Also any kit benefits from panel lining.

Actually it's known as Pledge Multi Surface Wax now.

http://www.scjohnson.co.uk/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=7864

On a different note does anyone know how the hands are made on the master grade kits?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

On a different note does anyone know how the hands are made on the master grade kits?

Injection molded plastic, like the rest of it.

Many MGs have thumb and index fingers as separate ball jointed parts and the other three fingers as one piece with three ball joints in a grip shape, which means they hinge open and closed around a sword or gun handle. Many of them have a slot/groove mating setup with their weapons such that the fingers aren't taking all the weight of the weapon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man they just keep changing that.

Anyways, it depends on the kit. The classic MG hands separate the fingers into three components (thumb, index, the rest), the "fully articulated" hands (which first showed up on the Turn A IIRC) make each finger their own piece but doesn't let you bend the fingers, the bracket hands featured on the Wing vEW and Seed vRM kits separate the thumb and make the other four fingers a single, swappable piece, and the new Emotion Manipulators are actually fully articulated.

There are also some miscellaneous hands you'll see for certain kits. Anything with a hugeass weapon usually has an HG style hand specifically to grab it, the G Gundam kits had these rubbery, single piece hands, etc.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

the new Emotion Manipulators are actually fully articulated.

These are the ones I was wondering about, like how the injection mould it and have all this articulation.

At least they sound like the hands in the Sazabi Ka kit anyways.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They are. Sazabi vKa's version is the third generation (Nu vKa's is first, Jesta/3.0's are second), and from what I hear all of the faults but the weak wrists are gone now. They're made with ultrasonic welding, just like RG frames.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
So, what's a good stand for Robot Damashii (Side MS) figures? Can't say I'm impressed with Bandai's offerings.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
HLJ just sent me a payment request for Phenix, check your emails if you ordered there.

e: V jesus christ

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 17, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what a cool looking kit, and its on sale!

I wonder how they poured the plastic with that camo pattern?

:stare: F that

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's at the bottom of my to-do list

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bimmi posted:

So, what's a good stand for Robot Damashii (Side MS) figures? Can't say I'm impressed with Bandai's offerings.

Yeah, unfortunately the Stage Acts that you can buy separately suck balls. I have them, I use them, but I cannot in good conscience recommend them. The problem is they tried to make them modular, but it really killed their durability. Every Stage Act I own has cracking on the tubes around where they peg into the joints. The stands that occasionally come with SH Figuarts and the like have the long tubes permanently attached to the joints, which pretty much eliminates that problem and makes them really sturdy. Figmas usually include stands like those too. The problem is Bandai doesn't sell those fuckers separately and are only included with a handful of figures you don't want to buy (and if you did, you'd probably use the stand with that particular figure anyway).

Now, if you absolutely have to, I'd recommend getting the Stage Acts, but only using the first arm and attaching the figure directly to the joint at the top. Fortunately, most modern Robot Damashii have stand pegs built into the figure itself so you don't have to worry about the fiddly little arm-grabber-holder thing. Stay away from the thinner tube arms. They are the ones that like to crack and loosen.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Anyone know which stand is being used here?

edit: haha welp, I sure am not paying thirty-five $USD for a loving display stand.

edit x2: oh, that's for three stands… two more than I need though.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 17, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
tamashii stage act iv

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

muike posted:

tamashii stage act iv

Yeah, looks like I goofed. The Stage Act IV is the kind of stand I was describing earlier that's often included with figures. It's the 5 that's the piece of poo poo that I can't recommend in good conscience.

It's still like $21 for a set of three, though.

Edit: He can always get the Trident Stand for $14. No idea on the Trident's quality compared to the IV or V, though.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 17, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The last set I picked up I got for like 15 bucks, so it depends on the day I guess.

Quad Cape
Dec 24, 2012
i am a baddie and posted in wrong thread

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've just done some photoshop tests with the Dalong "compared to the size of a cigarette carton" images and wanted to confirm my findings if anyone can. According to the Gundam wiki, Reborns Gundam should be 23.3m tall, Sinanju 22.6m and Kshatriya 22.3m, but it seems the models are in reverse, with Kshatriya being noticably taller than Sinanju which itself towers over Reborns. Have I made a mistake or is scale or the wiki's info just way off there? I was hoping there would be some cross-compatibility of body parts besides the equipment.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

muike posted:

tamashii stage act iv

okay i was wrong it was act V that i was thinking of

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamash...hii+stage+act+v

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:flashfap:

At this point, if they don't make an MG Fenice, I think I might just end up kitbashing my own. The more I see, the more I want one.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've just done some photoshop tests with the Dalong "compared to the size of a cigarette carton" images and wanted to confirm my findings if anyone can. According to the Gundam wiki, Reborns Gundam should be 23.3m tall, Sinanju 22.6m and Kshatriya 22.3m, but it seems the models are in reverse, with Kshatriya being noticably taller than Sinanju which itself towers over Reborns. Have I made a mistake or is scale or the wiki's info just way off there? I was hoping there would be some cross-compatibility of body parts besides the equipment.

With the Kshatriya the wiki has the head height, which doesn't include the height it gets from it's wings. Don't know about reborns/Sinnju, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

With the Kshatriya the wiki has the head height, which doesn't include the height it gets from it's wings. Don't know about reborns/Sinnju, though.

Neither of them have anything that sticks up that much. Reborns has a couple of sabers that could give it an extra few feet.

For parts compatibility between the HGs the height difference is >5% so they're probably close enough.

• Locked thread