Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JRizzle posted:

You cheer for a team that has a section of the crowd called the Black Hole where they dress up in costume. That's pretty loving college football right there.

It is, but instead of busting out horns, they play NWA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Volkerball posted:

It is, but instead of busting out horns, they play NWA.

No the play the Autumn Wind and act like it's god singing directly to their ears when it's in fact a dumb loving song

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Hahaha what. People claiming that any NFL game this year had a bette rending than the Iron Bowl is dumb as gently caress. That was one of the best endings of any game of all time and that's coming from a completely non affiliated fan.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Sorry we don't all jerk off to the SEC. It was a good game with a great ending but I've seen better.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Sorry we don't all jerk off to the SEC. It was a good game with a great ending but I've seen better.

nope

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

How is that an SEC jerk?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Quit being so prideful of the SEC, Oklahoma fans

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
not to mention Pup Bo suggested a Ravens game was better

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The game sucked, the ending was astounding.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
So the game was your reading and the ending was your posts

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm sure if Ed Reed had his 109 yard kick return happen against the Steelers in a playoff game, it would be just as uninteresting.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rap posted:

To be fair, that game did own, even if it meant nothing.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

No the play the Autumn Wind and act like it's god singing directly to their ears when it's in fact a dumb loving song

:yarr:

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Quandary posted:

Hahaha what. People claiming that any NFL game this year had a bette rending than the Iron Bowl is dumb as gently caress. That was one of the best endings of any game of all time and that's coming from a completely non affiliated fan.

I don't know of you saw the game, but it had the craziest ending I've ever seen, quite arguably the most intense and craziest ending to a game in NFL history. The iron bowl, which I also saw live, was a great game ending in a singular spectacular play. The last 3 minutes of the Min/Bal game had 5 insane plays all for touchdowns.

Rap posted:

Even the sun shines on a dog's rear end some days.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 16, 2014

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
the ending of the iron bowl was exciting yes, but at a rudimentary level it was just a bunch of (paid) guys not being able to cover what amounted to a kickoff return. i guess if you're a college football fan used to watching your #1 ranked team stomp eastern kentucky tech 70-7 every week it's exciting. but when you step up to a real professional level of football, it just seems amateur and dross

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Hardfl1p posted:

the ending of the iron bowl was exciting yes, but at a rudimentary level it was just a bunch of (paid) guys not being able to cover what amounted to a kickoff return. i guess if you're a college football fan used to watching your #1 ranked team stomp eastern kentucky tech 70-7 every week it's exciting. but when you step up to a real professional level of football, it just seems amateur and dross

Yeah, NFL teams never allow kickoff returns for touchdowns

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hardfl1p posted:

Yes I'd much rather watch a kickoff TD return in a professional football game where it is always close and competitive and not eventually pointless because the score is ultimately 43-8.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

They don't attempt the NFL equivalent of a 70 yard field goal with the game on the line, knowing full well it's gonna fall short and give the other team a chance to return it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Volkerball posted:

They don't attempt the NFL equivalent of a 70 yard field goal with the game on the line, knowing full well it's gonna fall short and give the other team a chance to return it.

If they thought they could make it yeah they would.

They also should.

They probably would also be a little more prepared for the return though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Baltimore-Minnesota game was completely meaningless, the Iron Bowl was for a chance to go to the national championship. It was way more exciting if you care at all about college football.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Democratic Pirate posted:

Yes I'd much rather watch a kickoff TD return in a professional football game where it is always close and competitive and not eventually pointless because the score is ultimately 43-8.

sorry one bad super bowl doesnt account for week after week of lovely college games. at least the nfl in general is competitive, and you cant look at more than half the games on the schedule and know the result before the game is even played

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

not in that "what is happening is this in the rules" way it happened in the iron bowl. again this discussion can be had until we're all blue in the face about it, but you either like college sports for the amateurity of it or dislike them for the same reason

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

If they thought they could make it yeah they would.

They also should.

They probably would also be a little more prepared for the return though.

If it was a 70 yard attempt in the NFL, I'd bet most coaches would knee it there and take it to OT. 90%+ chance you're giving them an opportunity to make a play rather than yourself. Especially in Alabamas case, where your kicker is a guy who has made all of one career field goals outside of high school, and was averaging 30% from under 40 yards.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Well this is a great conversation fellas but

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Who do you want the Browns to get at 4, Rap? Clowney?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hardfl1p posted:

sorry one bad super bowl doesnt account for week after week of lovely college games. at least the nfl in general is competitive, and you cant look at more than half the games on the schedule and know the result before the game is even played

I go to A&M, our defense was so lovely that I was nervous we'd lose no matter who we played :downs:. To bring this back to players in the draft, I liked watching Johnny Manziel clown on kids and make plays that will 95% not work in the NFL.

Hardfl1p posted:

again this discussion can be had until we're all blue in the face about it, but you either like college sports for the amateurity of it or dislike them for the same reason

Yeah this is going to be talking in circles so it's best to get back to draft talk.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I know nothing about the Rams or their Linebackers, is there a chance they may want Mack if they don't trade?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I'd just like to say the best ending to an NFL game this year was Matthew Stafford's fake spike, and the best ending to an NFL game in the past like 5 years was Matthew Stafford throwing the game winning touchdown on an untimed down with a separated shoulder to beat the Browns. Basically Matthew Stafford owns, peace

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Rap posted:

Well this is a great conversation fellas but

stick to the lgbt and bullying threads, if you dont want to read posts about football

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hardfl1p posted:

stick to the lgbt and bullying threads, if you dont want to read posts about football

This is the draft thread, which sort of undermines your point.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Volkerball posted:

Who do you want the Browns to get at 4, Rap? Clowney?

Yeah it's my understanding that he's the best prospect in the whole draft. Outside of him, I mean, I think I lean toward the pocket passer model so I'd say Bridgewater or Bortles but it's hard to say. A team could probably win with Manziel.

Mostly I'd rather not see us trade to move up. Want that second first-round pick more than I want Manziel over Bridgewater or Bridgewater over Manziel or whatever the preference is.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Hardfl1p posted:

that's a really good idea that i definitely like

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I don't think there's any way that Clowney is around at 4. I think St Louis either takes him or trades back with a team that wants him. I guess I just can't see the first 3 picks all being qbs, which is the only way Clowney falls to 4.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rap posted:

Yeah it's my understanding that he's the best prospect in the whole draft. Outside of him, I mean, I think I lean toward the pocket passer model so I'd say Bridgewater or Bortles but it's hard to say. A team could probably win with Manziel.

Mostly I'd rather not see us trade to move up. Want that second first-round pick more than I want Manziel over Bridgewater or Bridgewater over Manziel or whatever the preference is.

Yeah, there's a really small chance that trading their other first would end up worth it. I'm all in for Clowney, but I'd probably look towards Barr or something if he wasn't there. Not sure how I feel about drafting a top QB with a roster this lovely. Browns actually have enough pieces that they could make it work, with some luck.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

NippleFloss posted:

I don't think there's any way that Clowney is around at 4. I think St Louis either takes him or trades back with a team that wants him. I guess I just can't see the first 3 picks all being qbs, which is the only way Clowney falls to 4.

Yep same. I've seen mocks putting people like OT Greg Robinson in the top 3 and poo poo but I don't really buy it. In drafts lacking QBs, like 2013's, you might see some of these OTs as top picks because teams go the safe route (where Dion Jordan, Barkevious or Ziggy Ansah might represent the not-safe route). But in drafts with huge QB prospects, 2012 for instance, I think you see QBs and marquee skill players go together at the top (Trent, Justin Blackmon, Mo Claiborne). I think maybe teams start to think about impact guys they want if they can't have a QB.

Either way, even if that's not true, Clowney has the high rep to get taken in the top 3 for sure.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, there's a really small chance that trading their other first would end up worth it. I'm all in for Clowney, but I'd probably look towards Barr or something if he wasn't there. Not sure how I feel about drafting a top QB with a roster this lovely. Browns actually have enough pieces that they could make it work, with some luck.

Ol Walter suggests Sammy Watkins for the Raiders?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rap posted:

Don't think the Raiders are as desperate for a receiver as some of the mock guys have been making it sound. Almost had 2 1,000 yard receivers this season, and still have some up and coming young talent. If Watkins is BPA, gently caress it why not, but they'd be a lot better served going QB, front 7, or trading down.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?

Rap posted:

Yep same. I've seen mocks putting people like OT Greg Robinson in the top 3 and poo poo but I don't really buy it. In drafts lacking QBs, like 2013's, you might see some of these OTs as top picks because teams go the safe route (where Dion Jordan, Barkevious or Ziggy Ansah might represent the not-safe route). But in drafts with huge QB prospects, 2012 for instance, I think you see QBs and marquee skill players go together at the top (Trent, Justin Blackmon, Mo Claiborne). I think maybe teams start to think about impact guys they want if they can't have a QB.

Either way, even if that's not true, Clowney has the high rep to get taken in the top 3 for sure.

I don't think Clowney will be something to trade up for. It's much more likely someone will take a shot on a QB than trade for him. This is partly influenced that I want him on the Jags and would instantly hate whoever did that to my team forever.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I really, really don't like Barr and I don't think he is anywhere in the same league as Clowney

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
What's the prevailing thought on Taylor Lewan? I haven't looked at him over much because the prevailing storyline around him is a Michgan man's Incognito, which sounds just loving awful. Seems to project well as a zone scheme RT with the possilbity to grow into a proper LT. It all sounds so appealing but for the neanderthal shitbird part.

Are his personality issues perception or reality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Rap posted:

I like the other guy on Walters site more than him.

Mainly cause he still has the Texans taking Clowney; Though it is nice that he actually takes time to talk about the players.

• Locked thread