Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

It's a beautiful winter day at 62 degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How can you not post the pic?

I bet that's an absolute blast to ride, and now I'm wondering if anyone's looked at the logistics of getting the 550 engine into an RS250 frame (possibly with nitrous to replicate the power delivery of the original).

Oh yes, someone has, this Danish wizard:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?230056-My-R-SXV-550-project

I believe that thread did the rounds here a while back. It's been going 3 years.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

From the London motorcycle show:

Kawi Z1000

This bike is literally a cartoon. Even in person, it is a cartoon. I refuse to believe it is a real bike, even though I sat on it and everything.

It even turns into a spider when something flashes in its eyes

Here we have BMW truly outdoing themselves on their horrible headlight design

Here's James May's meccano bike from that TT special he did with Oz Clark.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Linedance posted:

Here we have BMW truly outdoing themselves on their horrible headlight design

I don't know, I think that looks pretty good. It looks like some sci-fi face whose origin I've forgotten, some man with something implanted in his eye, his 3/4 shot is the logo for a game I think. It's come a long way from the dog-meme-like 1150GS.

Linedance posted:

Here's James May's meccano bike from that TT special he did with Oz Clark.

Oooooo need to the watch that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ola posted:

Oooooo need to the watch that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV8Y1gIQv5w
Next time you have a spare hour.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Linedance posted:

From the London motorcycle show:

Kawi Z1000

This bike is literally a cartoon. Even in person, it is a cartoon. I refuse to believe it is a real bike, even though I sat on it and everything.

Slavvy this should be your next bike since your life sounds like a cartoon.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Oh yes, someone has, this Danish wizard:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?230056-My-R-SXV-550-project

I believe that thread did the rounds here a while back. It's been going 3 years.

I'm debating going full retard and doing that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

I'm debating going full retard and doing that.

Best 35 miles of your life

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

I saw one of these in person and it looked bloody terrible. Bonus points: the rider had a yellow safety vest and shorts on.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I finally found motivation to fix my winter time motorcycle replacement and use my new go pro (rip old go pro) so here is a video of me screwing around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VRi6btqW5M

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

nsaP posted:

When he does a burnout on it, it should make the Fred Flintstone running in place noise

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Graphics by Piet Mondrian

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
That's probably the only H-D in history to use Helvetica in its wordmark.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Snowdens Secret posted:

Graphics by Piet Mondrian
*mondriaan

Pretty appropriate with the dutch flag on the arms.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I mounted my camera to my helmet and blasted through the woods this morning, lots of fun :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfNctKW8Kfg

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Having never even seen a snowmobile:

1. How do you 'brake' to slow down? Does the caterpillar track just lock up and act like a big dragging thing to slow you down?
2. Is there a speedo and how fast are you going in the bits where you're just caning it in a straight line?
3. Does the road or machine get damaged if you drive over pavement?
4. Are there gears/clutch or is a scooter style CVT?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The brakes are on the drive train before the track but after the clutch, which is a CVT. It slows or locks the track, usually kicks it sideways or wiggles, which makes a hard stop tricky but lets you point the nose and throttle out easy enough if thats an option in the situation.

If you blow the drive belt on the cvt then no brakes.

There is a speedo and in that video I am going probably 30-50 through the woods and 80+ on the wide open field. I did touch an indicated 110+ today but thats a different video all together.

My track is studded and the road will wear down and bend the carbide studs but eh, it happens. It also wears the carbides on the skis. A larger concern is the liquid cooling system uses big heatsinks under the floorboards that rely on snow and slush kicked up off the ground to cool things.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

80+ miles per hour? :aaa:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The speedo is on the left and roughly at the 1 o'clock position is 60mph if you can see it.

At like 2:30 when i get airborne over that double humped hill I am going about 60 and hit 80 before the woods after which im going 50+ for a little distance

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thank you for giving us all a sweet two stroke serenade to quell our growing cabin fever

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

It will be a sad day when there are no more two strokes. My dream is to put a 500 2t dirt bike motor into my parts ex250 and have the best ninja ever.

I should have included it to begin with, but this is a 1998 Yamaha Vmax SX 700. It is a triple triple: triple carbs, triple cylinders, triple pipes. Stock, the exhaust goes like 3 to 1 into a muffler but this is a former drag bike so it has aftermarket pipes and has been jetted and clutched, which is resetting spring weights etc in the clutches to utilize the power band better. The pipes and tune make an estimated ~150hp but I don't know the exact amount.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is the best snowmobiling video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgd01qJjnR0

Always know what's under your snow

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

EX250 Type R posted:

500 2t dirt bike motor into my parts ex250

VMax-4 800 into an R6. That would be a bit bonkers.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Couldn't decide if this thread or gear thread:

Plastidipped my helmet, best $9 ever spent. With the white of the helmet, it only took 3 coats to get it uniform. You can see how thin it actually is over the AFX logo. this is good because the DOT sticker still shows through on the backside.

And contrary to most plastidip jobs where you just peel off what you don't want, I did actually tape off the plastics of the vents and whatnot.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That looks ace! I never worked with plastidip but I hope it holds up forever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Plasti-dip is pretty awesome. I used it on a few parts of my bike now, and it's pretty sturdy if you aren't actively trying to remove it.

Mydonos
May 27, 2013

Accordinspire posted:

What was she thinking she was wearing high heals? Who the hell does she think she is ultra violet?

crap can't find a pic but i'll share this instead since my buddy found it YEE HAW!

Very very very nicew :)

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Are we posting pics of girls riding in high heels?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

KARMA! posted:

That looks ace! I never worked with plastidip but I hope it holds up forever.

The best part is when it gets all gross from road muck (its a flat rubbery finish) I can just peel it off and redo it with the half can that's left over.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

EX250 Type R posted:

the liquid cooling system uses big heatsinks under the floorboards that rely on snow and slush kicked up off the ground to cool things.

That is really cool (no pun intended)

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
E: Whoops, totally the wrong thread

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 17, 2014

Mydonos
May 27, 2013

Show us your bikes

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

DefaultPeanut posted:

VMax-4 800 into an R6. That would be a bit bonkers.

My brother in law had a Vmax 4 800 two winters ago and that thing was an animal. 800cc 4 cylinder two stroke, it couldn't keep the skis down. It would just dig in, hook up, and rip.

My Sled

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
How does a snow mobile handle? I'm imagining a bunch of understeer, does getting on the throttle in a turn bring the rear end around?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Couldn't decide if this thread or gear thread:

Plastidipped my helmet, best $9 ever spent. With the white of the helmet, it only took 3 coats to get it uniform. You can see how thin it actually is over the AFX logo. this is good because the DOT sticker still shows through on the backside.

And contrary to most plastidip jobs where you just peel off what you don't want, I did actually tape off the plastics of the vents and whatnot.

That looks great and I think I'll be dipping my helmet as well, was already planning on doing some other stuff. As an aside how do you like that helmet?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Clitch posted:

I'm saying that in this instance the rider is a total shithead that posts himself being a shithead on Facebook to impress all of his shithead friends.

Just posting to update that they caught that guy:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Police-nab-suspected-reckless-motorcyclist-in-5242677.php

Police were responding to a stolen motorcycle tip, and it turned out to be him. The stolen bike wasn't the one in the video, though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

That looks great and I think I'll be dipping my helmet as well, was already planning on doing some other stuff. As an aside how do you like that helmet?

Thanks!

The FX39 is great, it flows a lot, it's light for what it is and it fits my gigantic melon very well. However, I believe they have an updated version, the FX-41, so I'd look into that if you're looking for an FX-39. I like the styling a bit better. One downside, is the Sena bracket doesn't fit very well on the side due to the shape so to get the comm unit stuck into it's mount you have to really push, or lift the bracket up while putting it in.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

tbb9 posted:

How does a snow mobile handle? I'm imagining a bunch of understeer, does getting on the throttle in a turn bring the rear end around?

Depends on the type of sled and the type of riding and conditions. On the trails here, there is a solid hard ice/snow pack that usually is pretty flat from our great volunteer grooming clubs. On a sled with no studs in the track, you can powerslide like a mad man and have a blast doing so. Mine has a studded track and while it usually is easy to get loose, it /can/ hook up and send you rear end over tea kettle. That's why you can see duct tape and cracked plastic in the videos.

Right now my trails are not groomed so hot, so there is basically a single track beat into the otherwise 1.5-2x the sled width groomed trail. Everyone being on the same line can make things dangerous on blind corners. I included a quick clip of that at the end of the second video as well. It felt a lot worse than it looks.

If the skis have no traction the sled will plow forward and a studded track will make this happen even with good traction.

Here is a quick clip of my screwing off in a sand pit. I didn't want to get mired in the snow so I didn't play much, but you can see how much the sled hates turning, mostly because of the studs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD7v4XFZ3BI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So what happens if you just tear off across a snow-covered paddock that isn't 'groomed'?