Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was watching the new Jim Jarmusch movie about vampires where they go to a White Hills show and what is the singer/guitarist playing?!?!?

PLYTONEWOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The zoot suit sg looks pretty cool to me. Wonder why they decided to make them out of plywood, and still charge normal SG prices... I'd buy one for like 300 bucks.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dirt posted:

The zoot suit sg looks pretty cool to me. Wonder why they decided to make them out of plywood, and still charge normal SG prices... I'd buy one for like 300 bucks.

They do it because people will pay for it. Gibson makes guitars for people who really care about the name on the headstock.

strangemusic posted:

Your recording engineer will thank you. I know I would.

Depends on the sound I'm going for. I can always cut out ringing bass drum overtones but I can't add them where they never were

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

Orianthi is the best guitar player

No-one has responded to this statement out of nowhere, and with good reason. Orianthi has awful tone and plays the cheesiest, most predictable and derivative white blues licks imaginable. She's a shill for whoever will give her an endorsement, and obviously the fact that you're a cute young girl is enough to leapfrog over much better players into high profile gigs.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

apparently some guy makes this contraption that you can attach to your guitar to play it like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFdf2Dh4RH0

this is cool

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
It is ridiculously hard to find flatout ugly synthesizers.

killhamster fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 16, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

it is, but roy clark demonstrated how to do that without gizmos like 40 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xssnp7R51A&t=135s

also how to do a rasgueado with a pick

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Hi, I'm a pretentious nerdy gently caress and just bought myself a new instrument!

(No kidding, I actually did buy one for this purpose)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
[_]SATAN

[_]BODY

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

A shrubbery! posted:

Hi, I'm a pretentious nerdy gently caress and just bought myself a new instrument!

you stupid simple bastard

Chrpno posted:

No-one has responded to this statement out of nowhere, and with good reason. Orianthi has awful tone and plays the cheesiest, most predictable and derivative white blues licks imaginable. She's a shill for whoever will give her an endorsement, and obviously the fact that you're a cute young girl is enough to leapfrog over much better players into high profile gigs.

she sounds exactly like steve vai, so

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

[In a really cool and enlightened voice] I think your misogyny is clouding your views here and that you're really just taking out your frustrations on Orianthi because you just use a bunch of buzzwords and she's also pretty and successful

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

[X]SATAN

[_]BODY

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Chrpno posted:

You're a human being, quit making GBS threads on guitar players just because they're better than your hero.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

killhamster posted:

It is ridiculously hard to find flatout ugly synthesizers.

These are all awesome. I don't think you can intentionally make a synthesizer ugly. It's all plastic and metal to start with so you're not really destroying anything. Although, that satanic synth is hilarious and dumb as hell.

Some of the color schemes would fit right in with gear found at a Flaming Lips show.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I seriously want this:

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
is that an electric kalimba of some kind?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

A shrubbery! posted:

This picture combined with your red text pretty much assures that your my arch-nemesis.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

TONE GLUE.

Edit: I think they look pretty cool in a 60's Teisco kind of way, but that price is insane. If I remember right even the neck is birch ply.

Edit 2: Yup

Gibson posted:

The neck of the Zoot Suit is also constructed using multiple birch wood laminate pieces (each one approximately .075” thick), each dyed with a different color then compressed and bonded together to form one solid block of wood. By reorienting the dyed laminates opposite from the body, you can view the pin-stripe color pattern through relief designs that have been machined out of the head veneers, which also allows maximum strength to the overall structure of the neck.

And just for laughs,

Gibson posted:

Other Materials
The glue is a proprietary Type 1 glue that forms an everlasting bond, and enhances the tonal characteristics of the body.

$1999

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 16, 2014

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

HollisBrown posted:

This picture combined with your red text pretty much assures that your my arch-nemesis.

Don't worry, that was just some guy getting mad that I made fun of him for getting an Xbone. I just really like Anamanaguchi right now and have some spare cash to try it out as a little experiment!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
My pedal steel is pretty ugly, also bad rear end, but still ugly

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

HollisBrown posted:

Yeah, but pedal steel is so badass

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

HollisBrown posted:

Reminds me of a hostess trolley.

I currently have my frying pan guitar clamped up, the glue should have set in a few days so hopefully you'll all have something to laugh at pretty soon.

Edit:

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 16, 2014

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
brb I need to huff tone glue

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

OMG the Gibson "Tone Glue" thing wasn't a joke. I'm going to go outside and stare at the sun now. :suicide:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Deleuzionist posted:

brb I need to huff tone glue

Pretty sure that's what Gibson execs have been doing for a while now

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
formaldehyde is a well-known tone additive for glue

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

I seriously want this:

I have one of those that hasn't been modded all to hell (e. ha! literally). It's a Casio SK-1. Got it when I was like 6 years old (I'm pushing 35) and it still works.

E: Here's my unmolested SK-1 Sampling Keyboard:

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 17, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

I seriously want this:

satan. *plays e diminished*

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

satan. *plays e diminished*

B dim, white keys only dude.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KotITz6_Fvc

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Paul Gilbert is the only one of those rear end clowns that I don't immediately want to punch in the mouth.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

that sounds like the worst but his playing wasn't bad at all

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Paul Gilbert owns

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

HollisBrown posted:

Not enough pedals - no distortion, no nothing.

How many loving picks could you possible misplace during one show, with you guitar that's like ... a double guitar? (click for amazing)

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

empty baggie posted:

I have one of those that hasn't been modded all to hell (e. ha! literally). It's a Casio SK-1. Got it when I was like 6 years old (I'm pushing 35) and it still works.

E: Here's my unmolested SK-1 Sampling Keyboard:

Holy loving madeline. I so vividly remember the pre-programmed test song on that, and exactly how it sounds with burp, fart, and other "hilarious" sample sounds. Song is now stuck in my head -- does it have a name/artist so I can buy it??

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Rob Ford posted:

Not enough pedals - no distortion, no nothing.

How many loving picks could you possible misplace during one show, with you guitar that's like ... a double guitar? (click for amazing)

Dave Mustaine's face and hair make me irrationally angry.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HollisBrown posted:

Paul Gilbert is the only one of those rear end clowns that I don't immediately want to punch in the mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTq3YtZ5H7U&t=177s

King of Hamas
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW
So I'm reading an article about Martin Zweig and his $125 million dollar condo and I see this

what's up with the long yellow guitar dong

original article here: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/04/03/inside_martin_zweigs_125_million_pierre_triplex_penthouse.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

King of Hamas posted:

So I'm reading an article about Martin Zweig and his $125 million dollar condo and I see this

what's up with the long yellow guitar dong

original article here: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/04/03/inside_martin_zweigs_125_million_pierre_triplex_penthouse.php

Replica of a Prince guitar

• Locked thread