Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Megaman posted:

Is losing ZFS good in this case? What would I lose it to? Would I get the equivalent of RAIDZ3?

I love ZFS so I would consider it a (huge) step backwards in terms of having a robust filesystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Losing ZFS is never a good option. It really is the number one reason I built a NAS and store my files on it. I trust it more than NTFS, HFS or EXT whathaveyou.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Just in case someone is wondering, the OS lives in the array so its protected by the array.

What if I don't have an array but just use the drives as separate volumes?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Geemer posted:

I really don't know. By maybe volume 1.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Megaman posted:

What were you surprised about? It is the air wrap on the top? Or is that more than one drive, looks like only one to me, please don't tell me it's like 4 drives....please

Its a single drive in an air bubble sleeve that was obviously designed for this purpose placed in an appropriate sized box. My last hard drive purchase they wrapped in economy bubble wrap and packing tape, then threw in the bottom of a giant box with some wadded up kraft paper to fill the void.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

thebigcow posted:

Its a single drive in an air bubble sleeve that was obviously designed for this purpose placed in an appropriate sized box. My last hard drive purchase they wrapped in economy bubble wrap and packing tape, then threw in the bottom of a giant box with some wadded up kraft paper to fill the void.

I remember ordering 6 1tb drives at one time, and they all came in a box with no peanuts, and the cases were those plastic ones that are tight to the drives. In other words there was zero padding, the drives just clunked around in the box. Thanks Amazon! Luckily the drives were ok.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It's this thing, got one from Newegg last week:

And this is how Amazon shipped each red I ordered last week:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

phosdex posted:

It's this thing, got one from Newegg last week:

And this is how Amazon shipped each red I ordered last week:

Cause amazon is buying single units from Western Digital and shipping them in WD packaging. Newegg is probably buying bulk packs like this

And repacking each drive.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Geemer posted:

Doesn't matter, it's basically a Raid 1 array that you don't see that is mirrored on every disk.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

Doesn't matter, it's basically a Raid 1 array that you don't see that is mirrored on every disk.

I had my suspicions this would be the answer, thanks for the peace of mind.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hmm, shouldn't I have more space on the array available than this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Why did you put that 250gb drive in there. That'd what's loving it up.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Don Lapre posted:

Well it was all I had free lying around at the time. I have a 2TB I am copying things off of now I will replace it with. Looking at the calculator on the site, I figure it would be fine for the moment, clearly not :\

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Well it was all I had free lying around at the time. I have a 2TB I am copying things off of now I will replace it with. Looking at the calculator on the site, I figure it would be fine for the moment, clearly not :\

Yes I would a just put the two 1tb in and it would give you 1tb of space.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Isn't the point of Synology SHR that you can do exactly without wasting any space?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DNova posted:

Isn't the point of Synology SHR that you can do exactly without wasting any space?

No. The primary benefit to shr is it allows expansion. He can use the extra space by setting up a second volume though.

It is not like unraid where you can maximize space with different sized drives. It's using raid 5 and 6 for shr and shr2

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

No. The primary benefit to shr is it allows expansion. He can use the extra space by setting up a second volume though.

It is not like unraid where you can maximize space with different sized drives. It's using raid 5 and 6 for shr and shr2

Then I don't understand what this graphic is trying to say

If it means you have to actually create 4 volumes for that example case, then that is pretty silly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, each horizontal group is a volume.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Well that's much less cool than I thought.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't believe it's possible to have spanning+parity. It's either a choice of spanning, striping, parity or striping+parity.

I'd appreciate some ideas on how to go about moving 5TB of data off my current fileserver, preferably without an extra computer. The issue I have is that I want to get 4x4TB in raidz2 instead of my current 4x2TB in raidz1, but I don't have any spare computers lying around.
My thought is to:
1) connect two 4TB disks to my workstation when I get them
2) move all data off my fileserver onto them
3) remove all disks from the fileserver
4) connect three 2TB disks to my workstation and transfer from the two 4TB disks onto them
5) test if the amd n36l cpu is powerful enough to handle gzip, lzjb or lz4 compression (although i doubt it)
6) setup a proper raidz2 zpool with datasets instead of dumping everything in the default dataset
6) move all data from thre three 2TB drives over to my new pool in their respective datasets

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, I'd really misunderstood the SHR thing, it's a lot more restrictive when it comes to a single volume and various replacement/upgrading shenanigans than it looks.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

I don't believe it's possible to have spanning+parity. It's either a choice of spanning, striping, parity or striping+parity.

I'd appreciate some ideas on how to go about moving 5TB of data off my current fileserver, preferably without an extra computer. The issue I have is that I want to get 4x4TB in raidz2 instead of my current 4x2TB in raidz1, but I don't have any spare computers lying around.
My thought is to:
1) connect two 4TB disks to my workstation when I get them
2) move all data off my fileserver onto them
3) remove all disks from the fileserver
4) connect three 2TB disks to my workstation and transfer from the two 4TB disks onto them
5) test if the amd n36l cpu is powerful enough to handle gzip, lzjb or lz4 compression (although i doubt it)
6) setup a proper raidz2 zpool with datasets instead of dumping everything in the default dataset
6) move all data from thre three 2TB drives over to my new pool in their respective datasets

You're already several hundred dollars in on the new 4TB drives, so why not spend another ~$100 and grab an LSI HBA off eBay, flash it to IT mode, and connect all 8 drives to it. Now your problem is reduced to figuring out how to power the 4 additional drives, assuming your server's power supply doesn't have enough power connectors for 8 drives.

You should be able to easily flip the card on eBay when you're done migrating your data (zfs send | zfs recv) to recoup the cost, since they're very popular with ZFS enthusiasts.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 16, 2014

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes you should. It looks like you haven't expanded the array after adding one of the 1TB disks.

Basically, in this situation SHR should under the hood be a mdadm Raid 5 that is three partitions of 232.89, and a second that is two that are 698.62. So I would expect capacity of roughly 1164.4.

So not counting the lost space to the OS, basically the capacity of the largest disk gets taken away in parity, but the lower are available.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

Don Lapre posted:

This is not at all correct.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 16, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

Yes you should. It looks like you haven't expanded the array after adding one of the 1TB disks.

Basically, in this situation SHR should under the hood be a mdadm Raid 5 that is three partitions of 232.89, and a second that is two that are 698.62. So I would expect capacity of roughly 1164.4.

So not counting the lost space to the OS, basically the capacity of the largest disk gets taken away in parity, but the lower are available.

So it is how I thought it was after all?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, I ended up yanking the 250 and building a new array, but I'd really like some authoritative info on this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

You're already several hundred dollars in on the new 4TB drives, so why not spend another ~$100 and grab an LSI HBA off eBay, flash it to IT mode, and connect all 8 drives to it. Now your problem is reduced to figuring out how to power the 4 additional drives, assuming your server's power supply doesn't have enough power connectors for 8 drives.

You should be able to easily flip the card on eBay when you're done migrating your data (zfs send | zfs recv) to recoup the cost, since they're very popular with ZFS enthusiasts.
I don't know why I didn't think of that, that's a brilliant idea. Thank you :)
Only problem is, apparently WD Red 4TB are ~$50/piece more expensive in Denmark than in the US.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
What's the quickest way to move 2TB worth of data from a single drive in a DNS-321 to an true NAS solution? I've never quite been sure exactly what's going on, but rsync goes at about 475KB/sec from the DNS, no idea why. FTP the same. Dragging and dropping goes at about 4MB/sec, but even then, its going to take like a week and a half. Why things are going slow when everything shows a gigabit connection, i have no idea. There has to be a way for me to move 2tb in a reasonable amount of time using this old school DNS-323, no? I think the speed bottleneck is the old DNS323 (but even then ~450KB/sec? :gonk: ), but I'd rather not go find a spare computer to throw this data drive in, and move it over. Any suggestions would be appreciated :unsmith:

Edit: terabytes, not gigs

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 16, 2014

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

DNova posted:

So it is how I thought it was after all?

Yes

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sub Rosa posted:

Well there ya go.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Lots of confident misinformation in this thread then, I guess.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

DNova posted:

Lots of confident misinformation in this thread then, I guess.

welcome to the something awful forums.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've been kicking around the idea of building a home file server for backups and possibly as a media PC. I'm finally at the point where I have enough devices networked that a central location would be worth the time, cost, and effort. I also have some questions about proper network setup for security and management. Hopefully this is the place to ask, I didn't see any other threads that were more applicable.

Anyway, I have an XBox 360 and a couple PCs and laptops spread through the house, networked with a pair of WRT54GL routers flashed with DD-WRT (one as a client bridge) and a networked printer. I'd like to set up a NAS server that all the devices can access for media, automatic backup storage, and as a file server. I don't expect that they'll see heavy use, but I'd like them to be able to handle say a few people listening to music at the same time; we use Netflix or discs for most of our movies and don't often transfer large files between PCs. I'd prefer something that is very light on power consumption and mostly silent, since right now the access point is right next to the PCs. I consider myself fairly computer-savvy since I've built all my PCs and flashed/configured my network, so I wouldn't mind building and configuring something myself as long as it's not too involved. Though money isn't really an issue I'd prefer something less than $500 unless it's really worth it.

So, with that in mind, here are my questions:

• Does it make more sense to get a web storage solution rather than a home file server?
  • Is there a commercial desktop NAS that'd be worth my time, or is it best to build my own?
  • I realize this is a personal sort of question, but how much storage should I get? Average device size is 120GB, is 1 TB a decent size?
  • Redundancy is nice, should I get a RAID setup? What other options should I look for?
  • What should I look for in an OS? I've fooled around with Linux but I don't have much confidence actually using it yet.
  • Is it worth upgrading my network for gigabit capability? The PCs I have are new and capable of gigabit, but my Internet connection is el cheapo broadband.
  • Assuming I build one, should I get a case that allows for tool-less changing of drives? Hot-swapping drives? I'm not super hot at cable management, and an easily-upgradeable/flexible solution would be ideal anyway.

My last requests are more a solicitation for the best way to have a reliable, secure setup and automate things like backups as much as possible.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

My last requests are more a solicitation for the best way to have a reliable, secure setup and automate things like backups as much as possible.

If you're dealing with backups and/or media, you want local storage. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of data or particularly need a lot of power, so just get a Netgear ReadyNAS (built in software RAID), and upgrade your network to gigabit for quicker internal traffic speeds. The Netgear software will do everything that you've mentioned (backups, file storage) without having to learn Linux. Once you want to learn more, you can branch out. At least that's a start. If you want to go a little further, read back more of the thread as there are plenty of people who have tried it all in here.

dox fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 17, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

dox posted:

If you're dealing with backups and/or media, you want local storage. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of data or particularly need a lot of power, so just get a Netgear ReadyNAS (built in software RAID), and upgrade your network to gigabit for quicker internal traffic speeds. The Netgear software will do everything that you've mentioned (backups, file storage) without having to learn Linux. Once you want to learn more, you can branch out. At least that's a start. If you want to go a little further, read back more of the thread as there are plenty of people who have tried it all in here.

I dont know about the current readynas, but netgear really burned a lot of customers by not updating models that were less than a year old to the latest software and basically abandoning fixing the old software.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, what the hell am I doing wrong? The total size and available stats are exactly the same as BEFORE I added the 2TB drive in bay 4 yesterday...

edit: I followed the correct process, and iirc the wizard showed a new capacity of 3TB and change before I hit OK.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 17, 2014

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

I dont know about the current readynas, but netgear really burned a lot of customers by not updating models that were less than a year old to the latest software and basically abandoning fixing the old software.

Yeah, I don't see why you wouldn't buy a Synology or a QNAP these days, unless you are building your own.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hi again! I've been helping a duded with a build and I've decided the hardware and software I'm going with (home built Haswell Celeron with WD Reds and FreeNAS). The only thing that will shake my build is the ability to backup to an online service. What is recommended and how do I do it? It seems like I should be able to do one big multi-terabyte upload and then use snapshots from there.

How do I do it with FreeNAS, what are recommended services? Glacier? How much money can we expect to pay per terabyte?

Thanks!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
UGH, ok, I think there are some filesystem issues that are crashing the expansion of the array, but when I try this to repair it, it crashes...

synology> e2fsck -f -p /dev/vg1000/lv
*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (normal): 0x0000000000598c00 ***
Aborted (core dumped)

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

DarkHorse posted:

I've been kicking around the idea of building a home file server for backups and possibly as a media PC. I'm finally at the point where I have enough devices networked that a central location would be worth the time, cost, and effort. I also have some questions about proper network setup for security and management. Hopefully this is the place to ask, I didn't see any other threads that were more applicable.

Anyway, I have an XBox 360 and a couple PCs and laptops spread through the house, networked with a pair of WRT54GL routers flashed with DD-WRT (one as a client bridge) and a networked printer. I'd like to set up a NAS server that all the devices can access for media, automatic backup storage, and as a file server. I don't expect that they'll see heavy use, but I'd like them to be able to handle say a few people listening to music at the same time; we use Netflix or discs for most of our movies and don't often transfer large files between PCs. I'd prefer something that is very light on power consumption and mostly silent, since right now the access point is right next to the PCs. I consider myself fairly computer-savvy since I've built all my PCs and flashed/configured my network, so I wouldn't mind building and configuring something myself as long as it's not too involved. Though money isn't really an issue I'd prefer something less than $500 unless it's really worth it.

So, with that in mind, here are my questions:

Yeah
  • Does it make more sense to get a web storage solution rather than a home file server?
  • Is there a commercial desktop NAS that'd be worth my time, or is it best to build my own?
  • I realize this is a personal sort of question, but how much storage should I get? Average device size is 120GB, is 1 TB a decent size?
  • Redundancy is nice, should I get a RAID setup? What other options should I look for?
  • What should I look for in an OS? I've fooled around with Linux but I don't have much confidence actually using it yet.
  • Is it worth upgrading my network for gigabit capability? The PCs I have are new and capable of gigabit, but my Internet connection is el cheapo broadband.
  • Assuming I build one, should I get a case that allows for tool-less changing of drives? Hot-swapping drives? I'm not super hot at cable management, and an easily-upgradeable/flexible solution would be ideal anyway.

I just bought a Synology Ds214play for similar reasons last week with two WD 3TB Red drives, came to about $625. Setup is insanely simple - drop the drives in the toolless bays, plug in ethernet and power and turn it on. I've got redundancy, can serve media through Dlna, apps for tablets and phones, can install Plex, easy web based gui with no Linux tinkering required for configuration, lots of other options like online backup etc. I'm super happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the suggestions, that sounds like what I want.