Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

1. Tell him to cool it and just trust that the reds will start to flow. If he continues to delay the kick, toss a yellow his way, too.
2. Punish him. If he'd slid out of the box in dry conditions, you would have.
3. Unapproved equipment. Wear all eleven hats on your own head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTAui5ToSu0

2) He could have punched it away/thrown it/let go, punish and keep the game going, monitor situation

3) Punch their smug faces and tell them to lose the hats

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1. See, this is where a similar system of refereeing to rugby union would be perfect. In rugby, the ref would call in both captains and have a stern word to them, which will be passed on to the team. They will also be told in no uncertain terms that the next offence will be a card, of a colour that will be decided then. Anyway, to answer the question, tell the captain to cool his jets and take the loving kick already, and send the next fucker off who tries to pull any poo poo.

2. Penalise him, free kick to opposition. Monitor situation and if it becomes a regular thing, abandon game.

3. Tell them to get rid of the hats. Make the manager wear all 11 hats, under threat of ejection to the stands if he loses any of them.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

1) Tell him to shut up, yellow if he keeps it up.
2) Let it go this time, give him a verbal warning.
3a) What's a parks game?
3b) This is soccer not baseball, take that poo poo off.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

1. Tell him you got this. Yellow card for dissent.
2. Penalize depending how far he went out. If it was barely, have a word. If it was a lot, free kick and monitor game.
3. Keepers can also use their hands and wear flamboyant kits different than the teams. You wanna wear a hat, be a keeper. Take em off or they forfeit.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Captain Trips posted:

3a) What's a parks game?

a game in a park

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh yeah:

Kieth Hakcett posted:

1) The captain should not be showing dissent in this way – and you may have to consider cautioning him, too – but he does have a point. You have applied the law, but you've failed to control the players' behaviour. Once you spotted what was happening – after the third caution – you should have called over the away side's captain and issued a firm, public warning against the use of this cynical tactic, making clear any further targeting of the winger risks a red card. As it is, deal with the captain's dissent, and point out that if his side refuses to take the free-kick then the game will be abandoned and the facts reported to the authorities.
Thanks to Tom Payne.
2) The keeper's handball was not a deliberate act, but it does need punishing – he could have adjusted his tactics to the conditions, so award a direct free-kick for careless action. As for the pitch: keep monitoring it to ensure the players' safety and to prevent the game becoming a farce. Stephen McAteer wins the shirt.
3) The law covers this: caps are not an accepted part of outfield players' equipment because they represent a danger when challenging in the air. The keeper can wear one; the others cannot. Thanks to Stephen Leitch.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Guess they got tired of the "easy" ones:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/20/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1) Uh, claim the shoe is an outside agent or something and restart with a dropped ball.
2) Play on. The assistant's dumbass flag is part of the pitch. If the assistant thinks the ball went out before it deflected back in, ask him why he was standing so far back. Throw the defender's shoe at him.
3) I want to say, "Play on!" but I bet Hackett is going to say that the missing flag is not up to regulations and blah blah blah stop the game immediately blah.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Stop play, coax the shoe to safety.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
1. Play on
2. Play on, yell at lino for being an idiot
3. Play on, laugh at guy who slipped

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I have a feeling it's been changed in recent years, but there is (or at least used to be) a rule whereby the ball had to move it's full circumference in order for a set piece to be taken. If it's only gone inches, then the ball may not be live.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Mickolution posted:

I have a feeling it's been changed in recent years, but there is (or at least used to be) a rule whereby the ball had to move it's full circumference in order for a set piece to be taken. If it's only gone inches, then the ball may not be live.

You are correct in the first instance. There is no longer any requirement for the ball to move a given distance on a restart, only that it is kicked and moves (and, only in the case of kickoffs and penalties, moves forward).

quote:

Keith Hackett's verdict
1) Stop play immediately, and restart with a dropped ball (positioning it on the six-yard line parallel to the goalline if the clearance took place inside the six-yard box). It was not a deliberate act, so you do not need to take any disciplinary action. Thanks to Cai Brockley.
2) What a mess. Your colleague is guilty of both a poor original decision, and some poor positioning here – the flag should not be hovering over the line like this when play is live. But as it is, you have no reason to stop play, so the onside player can continue his run on goal. The officials, and their flags, are considered part of the field of play. Thanks to Euan Hill.
3) First, the home side should not be screaming anything at you. Second, they are wrong. Referees are advised to continue play in circumstances such as this, so long as the displaced post does not interfere with play. Here, the action is now all happening up the other end of the pitch, so you have no reason to stop the game and risk denying a valid goal. Had the play returned to that corner, then you would need to intervene and award a dropped ball – but as it is you can wait for the next stoppage before having the flag replaced. John Askham wins the shirt.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Lamont Cranston posted:

You are correct in the first instance. There is no longer any requirement for the ball to move a given distance on a restart, only that it is kicked and moves (and, only in the case of kickoffs and penalties, moves forward).

Yeah, I had a feeling that rule wasn't there any more.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/27/you-are-the-ref-paul-trevillion

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1) Tough titties.
2) Give the basketball referee signal for traveling and award ball to the defense.
3) Tell the taker to quit being so stupid and just kick the ball while the keeper is in the air.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Didn't some Mexican player used to do the thing in the first panel all the time?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1) Punch both captains in the face and tell them to get on with it. Make note of it in your livejournal.
2) Cool goal, bro.
3) Punch the penalty taker for being such a dick.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Gigi Galli posted:

Didn't some Mexican player used to do the thing in the first panel all the time?

Yeah, somebody from one of the horrid countries did it at a World Cup once to avoid a tackle and the commentators went on and on about how this was the new Cruyff turn and now everyone would be doing it.

Then nobody ever did it again because it's loving stupid.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think I remember Darius Vassell doing that, maybe while playing for Villa. Only he went one better and actually rolled around on the floor with the ball between his feet for a little while to avoid defenders.

There was a youtube of this, but now I can't find it.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Cumquat Blanco used to do it.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

Tigren posted:

Cumquat Blanco used to do it.

Cuauhtémoc Blanco, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFu_sw99MUU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Keith finally woke up and posted:

1) Calling a game off is a very big step. As there are no safety issues here, go ahead and play the game, but ensure that all participants – players, staff, the crowd and the media – are aware that the system is not operational. Report the facts to the relevant competition after the game: they will decide if the result stands. Thanks to Eskil Carlström.
2) Goal. The player executed a clever move here. The only reason you would rule against him would be if he had been under direct challenge from a defender at the time. If a defender had been trying to hack the ball from between his ankles, that would have constituted a danger – and the striker, having created the dangerous situation, would be penalised. As it is, though, there is no need to intervene. Steve Longworth wins the shirt.
3) The Law simply states that the goalkeeper must stand on his line. He is allowed to move sideways along it, and to bounce up and down on it – but I would not allow him to make the crossbar vibrate like this: it's a clear distraction to the opponent and represents an unsporting act. Speak to the keeper and if he fails to respond to your instructions, caution him. Thanks to Andrew Courtenay.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/06/newcastleunited-laws-of-football

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1. Common decency says to consider the game as having stopped when the leg bones broke through the skin, so I bet Hackett's going to say something about head injuries and say the goal stands.
2. Stop the game, boot the twelfth man, fire the fourth official, and wind the clock back to when the twelfth man came on. No goal.
3. Is this really a question? The only part that matters is where the player was when the ball was played. The player was offside when the ball was played.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

CPColin posted:

3. Is this really a question? The only part that matters is where the player was when the ball was played. The player was offside when the ball was played.

Can't be offside in your own half, that's the point.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Edmund Honda posted:

Can't be offside in your own half, that's the point.

Yeah? The question clearly says the striker was standing in the oppositions half when the ball was played - nothing else matters, it's a clear offside and a stupid question.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
1) I'd sat no goal, if it's really such a horrific injury the game should stop immediately.
2) Send the 12th man off off and report to the authorities. You have hosed up massively and the side with 11 will probably be awarded the win.
3) Offside, obviously.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hegay posted:

Yeah? The question clearly says the striker was standing in the oppositions half when the ball was played - nothing else matters, it's a clear offside and a stupid question.

The striker was in the opposition half when the defender hoofed a clearance kick, but he returned to an onside position when it landed before playing it.

Page 31 of the official FIFA rule books states

quote:

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
• interfering with play or
• interfering with an opponent or
• gaining an advantage by being in that position

and I don't think he's actually doing any of those.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

1. Goal stands, it's not the striker's fault that the defender got hurt and the keeper ran off. Punch the keeper in the face for failing to play to the whistle and punch the striker in the face for lacking sportsmanship.
2. Wind the clock back to when the 12th man came on, boot him from the pitch, punch the manager in the face 12 times, disallow the goal and make a note of it in your match report.
3. He hasn't committed an actual offside offence, so no, don't intervene.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 7, 2014

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Vagabundo posted:

The striker was in the opposition half when the defender hoofed a clearance kick, but he returned to an onside position when it landed before playing it.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

1. Goal stands, it's not the striker's fault that the defender got hurt and the keeper ran off. Punch the keeper in the face for failing to play to the whistle and punch the striker in the face for lacking sportsmanship.
2. Wind the clock back to when the 12th man came on, boot him from the pitch, punch the manager in the face 12 times, disallow the goal and make a note of it in your match report.
3. He hasn't committed an actual offside offence, so no, don't intervene.

He has committed an offside offence. He interfered with play the moment he touched the ball.

quote:

“interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or
touched by a team-mate

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/37/04/27/interpretation_law11_en.pdf

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Vagabundo posted:

I would look up the definition of "interfering with play".

1) stop the game no goal, if the striker gets upset force him to look at the gross injury until he shuts up
2) depends on whether you've restarted play. If you haven't, disallow the goal, restart with a goal kick. If you have, you can't do anything (besides, obviously, removing the extra man). Either way report the circumstances and get ready to referee 8 year olds for a few months
3) yes intervene before that guy dribbles into loic remy's mouth

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

chaoslord posted:

He has committed an offside offence. He interfered with play the moment he touched the ball.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/37/04/27/interpretation_law11_en.pdf

But he has not actually touched the ball while in an offside position, and has actually returned to an onside position before becoming involved in play. He was offside when the defender hoofed a clearance up the field, but to say that he was in any way interfering with play at that stage is quite a stretch.

Plus there's also this from the link provided.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 7, 2014

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
1.) Play on and call the stretcher. If the game stops when a defender breaks his leg, then every defender would break their leg to stop the breakaway!
2.) If you've restarted with a kick off, tough. However, if they scored and haven't kicked off yet, you can take the goal away and book the 12th man for entering without permission. Restart with a goal kick.
3.) It's where he was when the ball was kicked. He gained an advantage from being in an offside position when the ball was kicked. Simple as that. Doesn't matter where he stands now or if he "interfered".

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

1. Play to the whistle. Goal stands.
2. Say gently caress it, abandon the game because literally everything you can do otherwise will get you lynched. Let the FA deal with it. This would've been more interesting if the side with 11 players had scored, though.
3. Offside.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Vagabundo posted:

But he has not actually touched the ball while in an offside position, and has actually returned to an onside position before becoming involved in play. He was offside when the defender hoofed a clearance up the field, but to say that he was in any way interfering with play at that stage is quite a stretch.

But look at the definition for offside you posted.

quote:

"A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:interfering with play or
• interfering with an opponent or
• gaining an advantage by being in that position"

By what you are trying to say, it is impossible to be offside unless you are challenging an opponent because at the exact moment the ball is played, you can't be interfering with play or gaining an advantage. It's physcially impossible by our definitions to be doing that. And the likelihood of being in contact with an opponent at that exact moment is very unlikely, too.

e: and your picture is irrelevant because the player doesnt touch the ball

Bio-Hazard posted:

He gained an advantage from being in an offside position when the ball was kicked. Simple as that. Doesn't matter where he stands now or if he "interfered".

Careful here. In referee talk, "gains an advantage" has a very narrow definition.

Specifically,

quote:

“gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball that
rebounds to him off a goalpost or the crossbar having been in an offside
position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having
been in an offside position

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

chaoslord posted:

But look at the definition for offside you posted.

By what you are trying to say, it is impossible to be offside unless you are challenging an opponent because at the exact moment the ball is played, you can't be interfering with play or gaining an advantage. It's physcially impossible by our definitions to be doing that. And the likelihood of being in contact with an opponent at that exact moment is very unlikely, too.

Well, we don't know if he was interfering with an opponent, or whether or not his side was gaining any sort of advantage by him being on the wrong side of the halfway line. Based on the information provided, it's probably safe to say he was just standing about, not really doing much at that stage, and FIFA's apparent interpretation of the law when it comes to "interfering with play" has an emphasis on whether or not the offending player has actually touched the ball while offside. Our guy, based on the information provided, hasn't actually done that.

chaoslord posted:

e: and your picture is irrelevant because the player doesnt touch the ball

The point is that the player was in an offside position when his team-mate played the ball, yet it's not an offside offence because he hasn't touched the ball while offside, much like the guy in the question. Should (A) be penalised for being offside as soon as his team-mate kicks the ball? According to FIFA's interpretation of the law, he shouldn't and I believe that interpretation is applicable here.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Well look at that!

I guess then I'd say he's interfering with play because he is the play, and he's offside when the ball is kicked.

quote:

“interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 7, 2014

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
A player coming back from an offside position when the ball is played to receive the ball in an onside position is a thing happens a lot, it has it's own little ref action to signify what's happened and everything. The only difference here is the player is coming back over the halfway line instead of back behind the last defender. It's clearly offside is what I'm saying. Once he touches the ball without anyone else getting involved that clearance effectively becomes a pass to him, when that pass was made the striker was in an offside position. I'm shocked that this is the one being discussed.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
1) if you give this goal you're a dick that's all I'm saying

2) idk the rules but you should disallow the goal and match report etc and if the rules don't say that as well the rule need changing. Assuming you noticed before play restarts ofc.

3) lol this one is so obviously offside it's madness to suggest otherwise itpo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Anyone who's watched more than one game of football knows that moving from an offside position when the ball is played to an onside position when the ball is received is still offside. It's a dumb question for dumb people.

• Locked thread