Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
BAFTAs starting 21 GMT. Is anyone doing a thread?

I wouldn't mind a British palate cleanser after the last couple of U.S. shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't want to go into the thread because I want to avoid details, but is True Detective really going all Lovecraft?

I don't think it's meant literally, but the series is definitely fascinated by a sect of humanity and the aspect of the psyche that would render him as gospel, if that makes sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't want to go into the thread because I want to avoid details, but is True Detective really going all Lovecraft?

Nah, they've made it this far with absolutely no supernatural elements.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

With The Americans Did they ever just finally admit that they love each other? That whole thing really turned me off the show. I got tired of them flipping back and forth every week. Ohhh I love my husband/wife this week, but then he does something and now I will never love him/her again... Until next week when I fall in love with him/her again.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

PriorMarcus posted:

If you're specifically talking about things getting supernatural, in an interview the showrunner said:

quote:

But the important thing, I think, is that there is a realistic explanation for everything. [...] There’s no evidence to suggest that the things we’ve seen are the result of anything supernatural. Ritualism, some sort of worship is implied in the murder, but there’s nothing supernatural. Reality is the dread, and that’s probably where the line’s drawn. So we can touch these things and by doing so provide avenues for layers of meaning to settle and refract and resonate, but we don’t strictly-speaking break from the realist mode.

There were some other words in the paragraph about something happening to one of the protagonists in the second episode that I suppose I won't spoil. The spoilered bit is clearly an influence but I don't think its going to be a big part of whats actually happening.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's an ongoing issue. Their lives are complicated and she's still pretty much a true believer in the Soviet cause.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DurosKlav posted:

With The Americans Did they ever just finally admit that they love each other? That whole thing really turned me off the show. I got tired of them flipping back and forth every week. Ohhh I love my husband/wife this week, but then he does something and now I will never love him/her again... Until next week when I fall in love with him/her again.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's an ongoing issue. Their lives are complicated and she's still pretty much a true believer in the Soviet cause.

The end of last season is a pretty strong hint that regardless of whatever differences they have in loyalty to the cause, Elizabeth wants to be with Phillip. To me, telling her husband/partner to "come home" in the Russian she's forbidden from speaking is about as good as an "I love you." But yes, it is a complicated situation -- honestly their love for each other was never in question, their problems came from the way that love opened them up to be hurt in ways they just weren't ready for -- and I'd be surprised if they no longer had any differences with each other.

However, Joe Weisberg spoke about the general gist of Season 2 in a recent interview. To paraphrase: If the first season was the story of a marriage, the second season would be the story of a family. So it's kind of a good news/bad news situation depending on how you feel about the teen actors. Personally I think they're doing a fine job, so I'm down to see them try and lift heavier material.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 16, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My jaw just literally dropped watching the first episode of House of Cards season 2.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

My jaw just literally dropped watching the first episode of House of Cards season 2.
Your avatar really dots the "i" on that statement.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Usually if something shocking happens I will yell at the screen but this was so insane I was also completely speechless.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Brought to my attention by @ChadLindberg. Related to the current discussion insofar as looking at this is kinda like getting hit by a train.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 16, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DivisionPost posted:

Brought to my attention by @ChadLindberg. Related to the current discussion insofar as looking at this is kinda like (vague-ish) getting hit by a train.

I'm not that bothered myself but that spoiler isn't that vague and I kind of put two and two together to figure out a House of Cards twist.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not that bothered myself but that spoiler isn't that vague and I kind of put two and two together to figure out a House of Cards twist.

Still, I'm so sorry. I've edited out the parenthetical.

(I don't watch HoC, but I kind of wasn't surprised to hear about it since that was one of the major beats of the original series. I assume you figured it out that way?)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DivisionPost posted:

Still, I'm so sorry. I've edited out the parenthetical.

It's cool man, don't worry about it.

The picture however is so horrifying maybe you should be sorry. :stonk:

EDIT: Just saw you're edit and yep.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

I swear I picked the OH SHI thread tag without knowing anything about the season. I was as surprised as you were.

Just wait til you get to the last half of episode 4. It's like 20 minutes of jaw dropping further and further in slow motion.

Some people are saying season 2 isn't as good as season 1, and even if season 2 were just the first 6 episodes, that would not be true.

I just wish they'd filmed seasons 2 and 3 back to back so they could roll out 3 before the end of this year...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DivisionPost posted:

The end of last season is a pretty strong hint that regardless of whatever differences they have in loyalty to the cause, Elizabeth wants to be with Phillip. To me, telling her husband/partner to "come home" in the Russian she's forbidden from speaking is about as good as an "I love you." But yes, it is a complicated situation -- honestly their love for each other was never in question, their problems came from the way that love opened them up to be hurt in ways they just weren't ready for -- and I'd be surprised if they no longer had any differences with each other.

However, Joe Weisberg spoke about the general gist of Season 2 in a recent interview. To paraphrase: If the first season was the story of a marriage, the second season would be the story of a family. So it's kind of a good news/bad news situation depending on how you feel about the teen actors. Personally I think they're doing a fine job, so I'm down to see them try and lift heavier material.
I think despite the 'issues' in S1, I thought The Americans was a much stronger show than Masters of Sex, but mostly on the point of me being a history major and that it wasn't as true to whatever events it was supposed to have happened (despite knowing you adapt things for entertainment and not appease curmudgeonly nitpicky history majors), whereas The Americans is more of a period piece and probably one of the closest things to talking about arranged marriages as you can get with North American fiction.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sober posted:

...whereas The Americans is more of a period piece and probably one of the closest things to talking about arranged marriages as you can get with North American fiction.

That's why I was so into it. The spycraft stuff was cool, but you can tell that it really wanted to be a love story just as much as it wanted to be a spy thriller, and its love story is actually really drat clever: a couple that falls in love after 20 years in an arranged marriage, and how their newfound feelings jeopardize the purpose of that marriage. I think most people are confused when they criticize the so-called will-they/won't-they aspect; Phillip and Elizabeth are absolutely 100% in love with each other, and if they were asked by a hypothetical therapist, they'd probably admit as much without any hand-wringing. The drama isn't mined from that; it's mined from the two of them a.) having no idea how to handle their newfound feelings for each other while b.) treading carefully around a suspicious Russian bureaucracy. Trying to deal with all that makes them stupid and gets them hurt in ways they never expected to be. When Elizabeth sends Phillip away, it's partly because Phillip slept with his old flame and her distrustful nature kicked in, sure. But it's also because she thinks she can will things back to the way they were, where she wouldn't have such intense feelings and it wouldn't gently caress with her so much. She slowly started to come around as the season marched on, so by the time she gets shot and nearly dies, she can accept that she loves Phillip and simply can't get on without him. I found that to be uplifting and romantic in a way even the best prestige dramas simply aren't.

That's not to say that it's immune to criticism: if the mid-season relationship floundering doesn't work for someone at a gut level, no words can make it magically work. I'm just saying that I responded to something better than other people did; and even then, I admit that it works better when taken as a whole.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: This is all coming from my memory of the show, which is about a year old at this point, so I might be off base on some of these points. I was thinking about rewatching the pilot anyway...might even re-watch the whole season.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 16, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jamie Coots, the preacher from National Geographic's Snake Salvation, has died. The cause of death should not come as a surprise.

Here's the crazy thing: I knew Jamie -- He and his father were regular customers at the auto parts shop where I work. I didn't know Jamie was into snake-handling until he stopped by the shop this past summer about a week before it premiered and mentioned they were doing a TV show about him. I just knew them as coal miners: a patient, kindly lot that knew what they were looking for but weren't afraid to ask for help if they were stumped on car trouble. I mean, that was the extent of my interaction with them - I don't know what kind of picture the show paints of them, I still haven't had the chance to see any of it.

I work smack-dab in the middle of it and it's just one of those unspoken, understood rules that snake-handling preachers carry with them a certain amount of socio/psychological baggage, and I think Jamie knew that just as well as anybody. Just from keeping my ear to the ground, I don't think a lot of people around here view this as a tragedy; they're sad that it happened, but I don't think anyone didn't see it coming.

I'm not looking for any condolences, it's just one of those funny things you have to stop and reflect on when someone you've known on a fairly regular, friendly basis just flat-out stops being there anymore.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DivisionPost posted:

That's why I was so into it. The spycraft stuff was cool, but you can tell that it really wanted to be a love story just as much as it wanted to be a spy thriller, and its love story is actually really drat clever...

No, I had the same complaints during that stretch of the season then realized it wasn't primarily a spy thriller and it's more set dressing and promptly thought I was stupid for thinking otherwise.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I was planning on rewatching season 1 of House of Cards before starting season 2 since I haven't seen it since it first came out, but you guys are really making me want to just jump right into season 2.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I would rather sever my fingers than rewatch House of Cards s1.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I'd love to see some more spoiler-free thoughts on House of Cards in this thread, given how dangerous the main thread is spoiler-wise. I'm surprise the handful of people that have posted thoughts have been so positive-- I just finished the fifth episode, and while the first was fantastic I thought episodes 2-5 were varying levels of mediocre. It feels like season 1 was a high-stakes political thriller with eleventh-dimensional chess played by a hammy Iago, whereas season 2 (very vague spoilers about episodes 2-5) is mostly about day-to-day low-stakes political maneuvering by a bored Joe Biden.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I thought season two was good (not great) but I have much the same problem with it that I did with the first season of House of Cards; there's nobody to route for. Everyone is an assbutt, and the few characters who aren't deplorable are just going to get poo poo on through their entire existence.

Season two also suffers from a lack of Russo, who was a very impressive part of the first series.

I gave HoC S2 four-out-of-five stars on the Netflix rating tool. It's incredibly acted and spins a good yarn, but it is also unpleasant.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sober posted:

No, I had the same complaints during that stretch of the season then realized it wasn't primarily a spy thriller and it's more set dressing and promptly thought I was stupid for thinking otherwise.

But then you have utterly badass moments like the way Philip and Elizabeth dealt with the hitman that wouldn't step down or the "message" that Elizabeth delivered to Granny('s face) and you're totally okay with that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Holy poo poo the last episode of Hannibal was incredible and I have no idea how season two will be able to top it. However, the trailer looks like it might find a way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mancalamania posted:

I'd love to see some more spoiler-free thoughts on House of Cards in this thread, given how dangerous the main thread is spoiler-wise. I'm surprise the handful of people that have posted thoughts have been so positive-- I just finished the fifth episode, and while the first was fantastic I thought episodes 2-5 were varying levels of mediocre. It feels like season 1 was a high-stakes political thriller with eleventh-dimensional chess played by a hammy Iago, whereas season 2 (very vague spoilers about episodes 2-5) is mostly about day-to-day low-stakes political maneuvering by a bored Joe Biden.

...how could you say that about episode 4? That was absolutely amazing and out of nowhere, and Robin Wright deserves an Emmy nod.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yea man hannibal so good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just caught up on True Detective. poo poo, what a good show. That intro is amazing, too. Maybe the strongest start to an HBO show in quite a while.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I got really fed up with True Detectives five minutes into the first episode because the dialogue and acting were so exaggerated that I couldn't actually understand what the characters were saying.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I'm not looking for any condolences, it's just one of those funny things you have to stop and reflect on when someone you've known on a fairly regular, friendly basis just flat-out stops being there anymore.

Thanks for sharing this. It's always a nice reminder that the crazy characters we see on these reality shows are real human beings with history and relationships. We mock them so much, so it's good to remember they are people too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

I got really fed up with True Detectives five minutes into the first episode because the dialogue and acting were so exaggerated that I couldn't actually understand what the characters were saying.

You're a real ray of sunshine this page, scary ghost dog.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

scary ghost dog posted:

I actually kind of agree, but you get used to their mannerisms very fast. Harrelson is by-the-books Woody, but McConaghy has really stepped his game up.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

How ironic that this post is so exaggerated, I got fed up five words into it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I wasn't exaggerating with that description. It was like I had a fit while the camera was encircling the crime scene and it kept fading between that and characters soliloquizing about how weird they were. Next thing I knew my TV was tuned to 24.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The acting and accents are really thick and it will probably take you at least two or three episodes to adjust to it, but the single take heist in episode 4 is really amazing and you should pick up there if you dropped it in episode 1.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

scary ghost dog posted:

I wasn't exaggerating with that description. It was like I had a fit while the camera was encircling the crime scene and it kept fading between that and characters soliloquizing about how weird they were. Next thing I knew my TV was tuned to 24.

Between True Detective and Hannibal, ponderously dull thrillers seem to be the big thing nowadays. I saw the first episode of True Dick the other day and I kept asking myself "why do people like this boring mess?" Nothing was happening, there was no plot and the characters showed no emotion except 'abject boredom.'

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I actually really like Hannibal a lot. It could just be easier to enjoy because I'm already familiar with the characters, but I also think Hannibal is a genuinely transcendent show.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
While Hannibal had a very measured pace, it featured a new serial killer and new grisly murder each week in horrifying "puts Game of Thrones to shame" levels of gore. I don't know how you can call it ponderously boring. One episode even had a serial killer wire-fu fight.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Manos del Sino posted:

I thought season two was good (not great) but I have much the same problem with it that I did with the first season of House of Cards; there's nobody to route for. Everyone is an assbutt, and the few characters who aren't deplorable are just going to get poo poo on through their entire existence.

My girlfriend and I are about halfway through the first season and enjoying it, but I'm kind of surprised that she likes House of Cards so much when she hates It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for these reasons.

I'm really enjoying the first season so far, but I'm not sure how much I'll want to re-watch. The acting is top-notch, but knowing the resolution to the episode might make rewatching most of them a little tedious. Especially given how easy it is to predict things like (season one spoilers) Frank and his wife setting up the brick attack when they happen and the reveal thirty minutes later being completely unsurprising.

Of course I did make the mistake of reading all of the Cards Against Humanity entries in the House of Cards expansion, so that's ruined what should probably have been a lot of the most shocking moments in this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nothing shocked in the first season of House of Cards except maybe the cunnilingus scene.

• Locked thread