Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Seems like quite a big metagame shift if Miracles is suddenly back on top. I guess it does a decent job ignoring TNN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yay Miracles is on the radar again! I always loved that greedy deck. The 10th place finisher which looks like a BUG POD list looks really fun too.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

Korak posted:

Miracles player only lost in the finals, his other "loss" was a concede to a friend. 17-1 is really good for a deck he's been playing for the past two years.

It was also a great final match.

Edit: That S&T Reanimator deck looks fun, too.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

JerryLee posted:

:stare:

Even planeswalkers and poo poo? Even I don't expect hot dollar Standard cards to only be $5 ($15-20 would be reasonable for poo poo like good mythics).

It's only relative. I've bought Forces, Duals, Power. I don't care to spend money on my hobby but if you ask me which bothers me more, paying 40 dollars for Cryptic Command, or paying 10 dollars for Polukranos. I'd rather buy the Cyrptic.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Haha, I love seeing the new decks that roll out with a new set. Just played a hilarious Dimir deck that's wincon I guess is dropping ridiculous amounts of devotion and then Gray Merchant. He kept using Fated Infatuation on Nightveil Spectre. I tried to use removal but he was maindecking Mizzium Skin (!!!), and then BAM, Gray Merchant for like 11, was laughing too hard to be mad. Pretty fun looking jalopy of a deck.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Just signed up for MTGO. It stinks that the only new player drafts are M14. Should I just trade my event tickets for something else or try to win packs in the newbie drafts and trade those?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

End of Life Guy posted:

Just signed up for MTGO. It stinks that the only new player drafts are M14. Should I just trade my event tickets for something else or try to win packs in the newbie drafts and trade those?

I'm pretty sure you can't trade your New Player tickets so you might as well use them. M14's not a bad draft format as far as core sets go, as I understand it.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

JerryLee posted:

I have some bad news for you if you want to play anything with nonbasic lands in it. Trust me, you aren't spending Legacy money yet.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/9641 :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My streak is over.

Today wasn't Xenagod. It was Ephara v:

But real talk how is everybody like BTT draft format? I'd like another opinion because my first draft involved opening Master of Waves and Phenax so my opinion is a little skewed.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 16, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Loot Pinata posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't trade your New Player tickets so you might as well use them. M14's not a bad draft format as far as core sets go, as I understand it.

I dunno, it's no M11, but it's also not 9ed.

Just pick every blue card you can and then maybe get green or black cards. White is awful in m14 barring the bombs.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Count Bleck posted:

My streak is over.

Today wasn't Xenagod. It was Ephara v:

But real talk how is everybody like BTT draft format? I'd like another opinion because my first draft involved opening Master of Waves and Phenax so my opinion is a little skewed.

I like it, especially since you open Born first, if you pick a black card from there, you won't automatically be in a slow deck compared to theros, where the cheapest Limited removal was 5cmc. I enjoy the format a lot, although I haven't played a ton yet, just one draft so far.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

C-Euro posted:

[...]
4. There are a couple store-specific rules to make things more fair and sensible:
-All infinite combos stop at 3 iterations.

Is this absolute, or per-turn? If I have a loop that lets me infinitely recur acidic slime, do I just get to blow up 3 lands and then stop, or is it three lands on my turn, three lands on the next player in my range's turn, etc?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I know there are few people on here who are into miscut cards. Someone at my local game store bought a Born of the Gods intro deck and got an entire deck of miscuts. Some weren't super interesting, but these were among the better ones. It looks like they are from the very bottom of the sheet.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Fish Of Doom posted:

I know there are few people on here who are into miscut cards. Someone at my local game store bought a Born of the Gods intro deck and got an entire deck of miscuts. Some weren't super interesting, but these were among the better ones. It looks like they are from the very bottom of the sheet.

I love cards that are on the bottom of the sheet like that. Would you sell or trade them? Did you pick these up from him, or are they still his? I'd be interested in the entire deck, really, but mostly these two.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

This is pretty neat. How viable is it as a deck? I don't care about going 4-0 or anything but if I can make Legacy players get feelbads I'm intrigued.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

What a Judas posted:

I love cards that are on the bottom of the sheet like that. Would you sell or trade them? Did you pick these up from him, or are they still his? I'd be interested in the entire deck, really, but mostly these two.

I like how it says Romans on the bottom of the courser.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's not all that terrible by comparison anymore. I'm not saying they're equal, but when you're already blowing over a grand on Modern when your deck might get shut down by a ban, it's not a huge stretch to switch to Legacy (example comparison: UWr in Modern is like $1200, Sneak and Show is $1800...not that huge a difference). Especially when you have multiple Modern decks you can combine into one Legacy.

That's why I found a relatively inexpensive Modern list to run, though that's also informed by the fact that I won't play it a ton or at least I won't play it in any sort of high-level competition. Prices are also high right now because of the upcoming Modern season, the Mox Opals I need for my deck were $30 a month ago and now they're pushing $45 (no I did not get them at $30 :negative:)

Speaking of budget lists, this looks fun as heck and I already own about half those cards. That and the fact that I've never really tried combo before in any format might get me to build this...

Archenteron posted:

Is this absolute, or per-turn? If I have a loop that lets me infinitely recur acidic slime, do I just get to blow up 3 lands and then stop, or is it three lands on my turn, three lands on the next player in my range's turn, etc?

I believe it's three times a turn, so you blow up three on your turn, then three on the guy next to you's turn (provided you have the resources to do so). If no one in your sphere is taking their turn I don't think you can do anything, or there's no real need to do anything.

And since I don't feel like packing right now, here are a few turn diagrams I promised earlier-

Numbers are players, and the red boxes are the turn markers. Since they're laying flat/parallel to the nearest table edge, that means players 2, 6, 10, and 14 are taking their turns right now. Note that there's at least two seats in between each turn marker, so a player doesn't have to worry about the two opponents in their sphere both taking their turns at the same time.

Players, 2, 10, and 14 are done so they put their marker upright in between them and the next player. Player 6 is still taking their turn and starting to receive dirty looks from everyone else. Once he's done, the markers get laid down and players 3, 7, 11, and 15 will take their turns. While waiting for turns to pass, you can do EOT stuff if the box is coming to you. So if I have my Sisay deck and I'm player 3, while we're waiting for 6 to finish I can tutor with Sisay and then untap her and everything else when my turn begins. It's not harshly enforced so if I haven't finished searching and everyone flips their boxes, I can finish tutoring and then immediately start my turn proper.

Some people have been taken out, so a box got removed to prevent turns from getting too close to each other on the table. In this case player 14 for example has players 13 and 16 in their sphere. As more people are eliminated boxes are delayed or removed as appropriate to maintain fair spacing, until it gets down to three people and things play out like a normal game.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 17, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

a dozen swans posted:

This is pretty neat. How viable is it as a deck? I don't care about going 4-0 or anything but if I can make Legacy players get feelbads I'm intrigued.

Combo decks are common in Legacy, you aren't going to give any Legacy players "feelbads" with Sac Lands Tendrils but you might have a lot of fun playing a cool format.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Only reason I know about Sac Land Tendrils is because it crushed Miracles in like 5 minutes on Joe Lossett's stream recently. It does have a 4-0 victory in a daily for what it's worth.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

What a Judas posted:

They're still in his possession, I think he's going to hang on to most of them. There's a special novelty of having Miscut Mistcutter Hydra.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Fish Of Doom posted:

They're still in his possession, I think he's going to hang on to most of them. There's a special novelty of having Miscut Mistcutter Hydra.

Can you let him know I would pay handsomely for a miscut Mistcutter Hydra? Find out how much it would take to get him to let that go.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

Combo decks are common in Legacy, you aren't going to give any Legacy players "feelbads" with Sac Lands Tendrils but you might have a lot of fun playing a cool format.

More 'I built this deck for <100' (I basically only need the Pasts in Flames and Petals) in the second-most expensive format.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

a dozen swans posted:

More 'I built this deck for <100' (I basically only need the Pasts in Flames and Petals) in the second-most expensive format.

One of my LCS does Legacy Wednesdays so I might build this when I'm good and ready.

My other LCS is planning on starting to do Legacy events on Saturdays because they're under new management (which admittedly has helped the place incredibly)

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

m14 is a decent draft format.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

demons. posted:

m14 is a decent draft format.

Even the best core sets aren't as interesting to draft as the expansion sets.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Why is Blackcleave Cliffs $6+?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Some Numbers posted:

Why is Blackcleave Cliffs $6+?

Sees play in the extra-budget version of Living End and probably other stuff.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Its one of the few Scars Fastlands that get play as a 4 of in Modern.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
For anyone interested, TappedOut is back online. I didn't quite realize how it nice it was to dick around with deck ideas on it until I couldn't use it for nearly a week. :ohdear:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Stinky Pit posted:

It's only relative. I've bought Forces, Duals, Power. I don't care to spend money on my hobby but if you ask me which bothers me more, paying 40 dollars for Cryptic Command, or paying 10 dollars for Polukranos. I'd rather buy the Cyrptic.

Kind of? I also value the amount of play I get out of cards. If I can pay $10 for a standard card and play as much standard as modern, my cost to my play is better. That said, I really like modern, and I try to spend my available magic time playing modern. I'm more whining about how prices have been jumping lately. I'm not talking things like blossom, I get that, but like cryptic. In general MMA reprints at rare seem to have introduced enough new stock to lower the price. So for cryptic to be going up, I honestly have a hard time believing its just players who want to play faeries. UBx modern fae isn't that good of a deck. Also my last point about how pricing has been hosed up latley, look at the price of lorywn, MMA, and the promo textless. $37/42/45 The lorwyn/MMA used to be like 25ish and the textless promo was $40. I'm not going by tcg mid or whatever, this is actual prices you can buy them at.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I used to love Standard but there's only so many seasons you can go through chasing rares until you start feeling a sucker. Also I have a lot less free time than I used to, so the eternal formats are easier to keep up with.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Cryptic has too many options for me to play a textless version.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

bhsman posted:

For anyone interested, TappedOut is back online. I didn't quite realize how it nice it was to dick around with deck ideas on it until I couldn't use it for nearly a week. :ohdear:

Yea I have been sitting on a budget from my tax return to build that Tajic EDH deck and couldn't access your card list until it came back online!

Smashing Link posted:

I used to love Standard but there's only so many seasons you can go through chasing rares until you start feeling a sucker. Also I have a lot less free time than I used to, so the eternal formats are easier to keep up with.

This is why I enjoy Murderhorse/goat/farm. It is cheap enough I can play it, but fun enough that I don't feel bad if it isn't a top 8 deck.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

jassi007 posted:

Kind of? I also value the amount of play I get out of cards. If I can pay $10 for a standard card and play as much standard as modern, my cost to my play is better. That said, I really like modern, and I try to spend my available magic time playing modern. I'm more whining about how prices have been jumping lately. I'm not talking things like blossom, I get that, but like cryptic. In general MMA reprints at rare seem to have introduced enough new stock to lower the price. So for cryptic to be going up, I honestly have a hard time believing its just players who want to play faeries. UBx modern fae isn't that good of a deck. Also my last point about how pricing has been hosed up latley, look at the price of lorywn, MMA, and the promo textless. $37/42/45 The lorwyn/MMA used to be like 25ish and the textless promo was $40. I'm not going by tcg mid or whatever, this is actual prices you can buy them at.

I'm sure there is some speculation going on, but I picked up my playset this last week because I wanted to get them prior to the Pro Tour because they were the last remaining expensive card that I needed for a majority of decks I wanted to play.

I don't think Faeries is going to dominate, but I do think it's going to be strong enough to shift the metagame slightly. That could lead to more control, which will result in a demand for Cryptics.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm sure there is some speculation going on, but I picked up my playset this last week because I wanted to get them prior to the Pro Tour because they were the last remaining expensive card that I needed for a majority of decks I wanted to play.

I don't think Faeries is going to dominate, but I do think it's going to be strong enough to shift the metagame slightly. That could lead to more control, which will result in a demand for Cryptics.

I know it is more likely due to pt, and GP Richmond. I have a feeling this is going to be a monster GP attendance wise and push magic toward modern harder. Then the PT season is modern for the summer, when everyone will be good and bored of standard. I just have been thinking of building a new deck and every direction I look prices are going up and up and it frustrates me. I bought cards off of someone here the Saturday before the ban announcement, by the time I got them next saturday they'd almost doubled in price. CAh-razy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fish Of Doom posted:

That's the coolest miscut I've ever seen and probably worth some cash to the right person. It even has the codename of the set on there!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Even the best core sets aren't as interesting to draft as the expansion sets.

Eh, m14 actually has some neat stuff though. R/B sac deck. The lifegain deck. Blue based control is always my favorite though, It's just a neat change of pace to have such a slow limited format. Hell, winning with elixir of immortality in limited is hilarious.

The fact that its probably the format I have won the most of in limited probably colored my perceptions.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 17, 2014

radialright
May 19, 2004
PINKU BENTO BOXU ^_^;;

mcmagic posted:

I had a complete loving brainfart-a-thon today and it probably cost me finishing top 16 at worst in a 2500k prizepool tourney.

I'm 4-0 going into the 5th match against some kind of Bant Control Shell and playing MonoU. G1 I overwhelm him, G2 I'm winning on board but i haven't hit a master yet and he hits a mistcutter for 7. I have no answer (because brainfart 1 was not boarding any ratchet bombs) and was dead in three turns. G3 he hits a mistcutter turn 5 for 4 and Kills my slow hand with no master. So i'm 4-1.

Next match against MonoB I draw a NUT hand but accidently draw 8 cards (brainfart 2) Have go to 6 and have no land. My 5 card hand: Island Master Thassa Thassa Thassa. I lose.
Next game i have to go to 6 and have a decent hand but get Thoughtsiezed T1 and T2 and lose. 4-2

Last round I lose against BW control.

FML. Good day completely ruined.

Holy crap I was just talking to my friend about her experience at the Portland PTQ, and she was telling me about playing MonoB and Thoughtseizing some guy who had a Thassa Thassa Thassa hand. Lo and behold...
I really hope that the world is this small.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Entropic posted:

That's the coolest miscut I've ever seen and probably worth some cash to the right person. It even has the codename of the set on there!

They aren't quite the best miscuts I've ever seen, but I think I may actually prefer them to the below miscut because they have the random data there instead of another card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

tzirean posted:

They aren't quite the best miscuts I've ever seen, but I think I may actually prefer them to the below miscut because they have the random data there instead of another card.

I would promptly crack that out of that case and play it. Droooool.

• Locked thread