Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

If you hit the button with two arrows pointing at each other, it'll combine all the fleets into one and display the total troop count on all the ships (this doesn't combine the armies, it keeps them separate and still lets you select them separately).

The button is grayed out since they're all in different provinces right now.

Edit: I just added them up by hand so I could see how many guys I'm sending to England.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007
If I bought CK2 on steam will expansions from gamersgate work with it? Getting tired of waiting for a steam sale on Old Gods...

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Nope! Steam CK2 and Gamersgate CK2 are incompatible, IIRC.

evvv: Oh, well it's cool that they've made it cross-compatible.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 16, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

nutranurse posted:

Nope! Steam CK2 and Gamersgate CK2 are incompatible, IIRC.

They should be compatible now. Just bought the converter and it gave me a steam key. Just check the DRM section and make sure it says steamworks first.

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.
Is there any current collection of all DLCs available? The only one I can find seems to have nothing Old Gods and afterwards included

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Is that a free Azerbaijan in the direct middle of the Mongol Continent? Those wonderful bastards. :allears:

The Wolfe of the Caucasus will never die

Greenllama posted:

Is there any current collection of all DLCs available? The only one I can find seems to have nothing Old Gods and afterwards included

I don't think there is one, at least not that I've seen. Hopefully they'll make an updated collection when Rajas is released.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Parallax Scroll posted:

The button is grayed out since they're all in different provinces right now.

Edit: I just added them up by hand so I could see how many guys I'm sending to England.

Were they all the troops you raised? You can see the total number of troops raised in the military screen. There will be something like 10k/20k when you raised 10k of your 20k total troops.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

Isurion posted:

If I bought CK2 on steam will expansions from gamersgate work with it? Getting tired of waiting for a steam sale on Old Gods...

In case anyone was wondering, I bought it and it just gives you a steam key since its a steamworks game like Gwyrgyn Blood said.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm trying to play this two-player over a LAN. Player 1 has most of the DLCs, player 2 just has the base game. I keep getting out-of-sync errors, sometimes half an hour can go past without one, sometimes it's once every five minutes or so. Occasionally a player will crash to desktop.

I've noticed that sometimes the game checksum changes as well, which gives you the "your version is not the same as the hosts" error message. This is fixed by exiting the game and going back into it.

Is there anything I can do to make this work better? It's not unplayable but it is annoying.

These are both Steam versions if that matters.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rajas of India idea: Play as the newly added Beta Israel, create the Kingdom of Israel, put every non-Ethiopian Jew into a refugee oubliette.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Gort posted:

I'm trying to play this two-player over a LAN. Player 1 has most of the DLCs, player 2 just has the base game. I keep getting out-of-sync errors, sometimes half an hour can go past without one, sometimes it's once every five minutes or so. Occasionally a player will crash to desktop.

I've noticed that sometimes the game checksum changes as well, which gives you the "your version is not the same as the hosts" error message. This is fixed by exiting the game and going back into it.

Is there anything I can do to make this work better? It's not unplayable but it is annoying.

The game checksum changes when you start a game, so if one person exits the game entirely (ie. crashing), all other players also have to quit the game entirely.

No idea on the out of synch issue though.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Were they all the troops you raised? You can see the total number of troops raised in the military screen. There will be something like 10k/20k when you raised 10k of your 20k total troops.

No, I raised all my levies, put the coastal ones into ships, and then wanted to get a total of how many troops that was to see if I needed to bring in my inland guys as well.

Sure there are workarounds, like I could dismiss all the inland troops first to get a total, then re-raise them, but you would think the game would have a way of telling you how many troops you currently have selected.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
CK2 Mod of the Year

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
If Rajas of India doesn't add a new Elephant unit I'm boycotting it and going on a hunger strike.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I did it

I united the isles as Alfred of wessex in one go. Sure I am now hated everywhere because I broke truces like a motherfuck.

Also I expelled the jews to take their money so I could kick Ivars rear end, he maimed me but I incapacitated him.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

So, I'm about 8+ years away from absorbing Castile, Leon, Galacia and big chunks or Aragon into my Kingdom of Navarra. I created Andalusia (prematurely) in preparation for creating Hispania. Now my thought is that I've made a mistake. Wouldn't it be good to have single duchy vassal kingdoms? I get the prestige and as long as I hold Hispania, they will follow my crown laws. And as long as I destroy Andalusia or use it as my heir's seat (maybe not possible since I own Todelo and Seville as part of my demesne) I should be sweet? I'm now in 2 minds since I never bother with de jure drift shenanigans normally. What would anyone else to in my position?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Bishop Rodan posted:

One of these days I want to engineer a scenario in which Europe ends up divided between the Mongols and the Aztecs and then converting to EU4, for a Renaissance Cold War without any nukes to dissuade people from turning it hot. :getin:

I did this, but it has some problems. The one time I ran an observe game of it, the Mongols and Aztecs never went to war. They got royal married, allied up, and then somehow the Aztecs wound up in a PU over the Mongol Khanate. So the Mongols couldn't declare war on the things around them and expand, and the Aztecs never declared war on anything outside the Americas. The Khanate also didn't really help out in the Aztec's wars because that'd have required building a fleet capable of transporting troops across the Atlantic and the AI hates doing that.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
You forgot to set them as natural enemies in the history file. Things generally don't happen unless you seed the history files.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I changed government types to make sure the Mongol Khanate didn't just fall apart, I changed tech groups, I did everything but mess with ideas and the natural enemies stuff.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Node posted:

If Rajas of India doesn't add a new Elephant unit I'm boycotting it and going on a hunger strike.

Good news, if PCgamer.com is to be believed:

quote:

CK2's sixth expansion, Rajas of India, will grow the map by 50% and add 400 new provinces, each with their own cabal of commanders, advisers, vassals children to be traded for political advantage. The rulers of India are mapped to three regional religions, which convey unique socio-economic boons upon their adherents, affecting their war-readiness, stability, and research competence. There's a new set of regional events to reflect the local festivities of the era, new jungle terrain and, inevitably, war elephants. It's plenty to be getting on with, but the most impressive thing about the expansion so far is how much of it Paradox are giving away for free.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/28/crusader-kings-2-rajas-of-india-first-look-massive-map-increase-new-religions-and-free-features/

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Will it be a new unit, though, or just a regional building that sticks a hell of a combat modifier on horse archers or heavy cavalry? That's still up in the air.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gort posted:

It'd be nice if they backported the EU4 multiplayer code to CK2 now that they are switching to using Steam for multiplayer anyway. I don't think I've heard anything of the sort though, which is unfortunate.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Will it be a new unit, though, or just a regional building that sticks a hell of a combat modifier on horse archers or heavy cavalry? That's still up in the air.

They wouldn't put elephants on the feature list if all it was going to be is a modifier. It has to be a new unit.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

BillBear posted:

They wouldn't put elephants on the feature list if all it was going to be is a modifier. It has to be a new unit.

but where will it fit? will they redo every single military screen to add a "war elephant" slot?

much easier to have them be Heavy Cavalry with a modifier, and a special unit model for retinues made entirely of them I guess.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I have to imagine Elephants will just be a cultural Heavy Cavalry as well.

Anyway, dumb question about save game compatibility. If I'm doing a succession game, do all players need to have all the DLC of the person who started, or do you just need the DLC that would be required to play at that point? Meaning for example, if I start a game with all the DLC checked, but am only playing as a Christian lord in 1100+, can someone without any of the DLC still continue with that save game? Do cosmetic ones count too?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Praying the 7th expansion adds Asia from China to Indonesia. You could totally do it, the China of this period could be modeled in the existing game without too many new features. China at the Old Gods start is drowning in problems that can be expressed in the existing game mechanics (wrong-religion wrong-culture vassals across half the country, locked to Agnatic Open) and is primed to fall apart. In fact Crusader Kings is probably the perfect game to do China in because "China" doesn't have to exist as an entity, CK2 can do the granularity and internecine conflict much better than other titles where it would be a megablob. And "China" or whatever states are in that regions have very stiff competition throughout the period, enough to keep it in check even as a player character nation.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Arglebargle III posted:

Praying the 7th expansion adds Asia from China to Indonesia. You could totally do it, the China of this period could be modeled in the existing game without too many new features. China at the Old Gods start is drowning in problems that can be expressed in the existing game mechanics (wrong-religion wrong-culture vassals across half the country, locked to Agnatic Open) and is primed to fall apart. In fact Crusader Kings is probably the perfect game to do China in because "China" doesn't have to exist as an entity, CK2 can do the granularity and internecine conflict much better than other titles where it would be a megablob. And "China" or whatever states are in that regions have very stiff competition throughout the period, enough to keep it in check even as a player character nation.

The hilarity that would be Ming-era China after an Old Gods start would be worth it enough.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Having all of Asia modeled might gently caress a bit with the Mongols coming from off the map, though. You'd have seen them the whole time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Having all of Asia modeled might gently caress a bit with the Mongols coming from off the map, though. You'd have seen them the whole time.

It's gonna be different with them now with the map expansion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You would just have tribal confederations as the top-level title in the whole Steppe region and have a decision chain available to high enough diplo/martial High Chiefs to create an Emperor title, vassalize other High Chiefs and start spawning doomstacks. This would actually be pretty historical, tribal confederations could usually be ignored aside from raiding (just grab the mechanics from Norse easy peasy) but would occasionally spawn doomstacks IRL.

I feel like China getting super loving blobby and then occasional collapsing in Agnatic Open mega-bitchfights or getting steamrolled by Steppe Nomad doomstacks using loving broken horse archer tactics is incredibly historical.

I think they've had enough practice modeling non-Catholic cultures with heavily tweaked mechanics that they're ready to take on China. I hope them saying they want to keep CK2 going means they're thinking about it as well.

As long as Chinese Baronies are called Commanderies.

Now I want to see all the event chains for Confucian emperors performing the ancestor rituals, or loving up hilariously and getting opinion malus.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 17, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly, I'd rather have a pure China spinoff game than to keep cramming things into CKII. Crusader Kings benefits from its tight focus, and I personally wouldn't want to see it spin into an EU-style kludge of features.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

Honestly, I'd rather have a pure China spinoff game than to keep cramming things into CKII. Crusader Kings benefits from its tight focus, and I personally wouldn't want to see it spin into an EU-style kludge of features.

:psyduck: Aren't you the guy who always argues in defense of 'feature diversity', even when the feature in question is of pretty debatable quality?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
So none of my Norse emperors can hold a great blot, despite having changed rulers. Is this a known issue, and is there a solution so I can get back to hanging dudes for Odin?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
So what are the triggers for when I can raise levies without pissing vassals off? Is it "defensive wars only and rebels don't count, or what?"

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Defensive wars (including rebellions), crusades (not Holy Wars, only genuine Crusades), or if you're an unreformed Pagan.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ulmont posted:

So what are the triggers for when I can raise levies without pissing vassals off? Is it "defensive wars only and rebels don't count, or what?"

Defensive wars/crusades, and they will still get mad if you are running a little offensive war on the side.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

BillBear posted:

That's how they've handled every other culturally specific unit and retainer. Give heavy cav some new model in a unit pack and you're set.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's gonna be different with them now with the map expansion.
I was under the impression that we were only getting the southern steppes, like around Khorasan and Bukhara and the like. To model the Yuan invasion you'd need Mongolia and all that junk north of the Himalayas and Tibetan Plateau. You'd need to go way farther north to get into the heart of Kipchak territory. North of the Aral Sea makes kind of a convenient border, once its stretched out to its not wonky proportions. (I got really depressed looking at maps for this because look at the Aral Sea in a PDS game and look at it now. That happened in the last thirty years.)

DStecks posted:

Yeah, I'd still like to see an expansion into West and East Africa since they were a real part of the Iceland-to-Bengal/Assam world that exists in CK2 now, but China is enough of its own discrete entity that any game mechanic that isn't entirely unique won't do it justice.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

:psyduck: Aren't you the guy who always argues in defense of 'feature diversity', even when the feature in question is of pretty debatable quality?

Wanting more flavour =/= wanting a drastic increase to the scope of the game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You could do China as long as you bend China to fit into CK2 rather than bending CK2 to fit China. They did a Republic though and those mechanics are different enough that I think they could manage the Imperial bureaucracy coming and going, which is the most important thing to get China right mechanically. Make the Imperial Examinations a decision tied to Crown Authority and use a tweaked version of republic elective mechanics when its in effect, but return to hereditary laws when crown authority falls or the appropriate character decides to abolish the system.

The examinations themselves are a perfect match for the decision system in CK2 because they're annual or triennial so "take the provincial/national examination" would be a neat event chain like feasts etc. As long as you aren't a city-type ruler in a Chinese-culture Empire where the ruler has fired the Imperial Examination decision the existing feudal mechanics would work just fine for China.

The thing is that I don't think Paradox is ever going to do a China game so CK2 is the best fit in terms of mechanics and time period. There's a nice mix of feudalism and special China-flavored mechanics options for this time period that don't involve banging too many square pegs into round holes like they had to do with EUIII's mess of a China expansion.

I imagine the Chinese-only bureaucrat flavored mechanics would be like an extension of Crown Authority, where the more benefits and power you accrue to the throne the more your vassals would be scheming to pull it apart. So like any big power, the more momentum China built up in state power the more likely it is to fly apart when an incompetent ruler comes in.

Really the only new mechanical things we're talking about are: a new succession mechanic, Imperial Examination, that can only be put in place by a high enough title holder of the correct culture; and moving Mongolia onto the map and making their doomstack empire building into a decision chain rather than a timed event. Everything else would be the same feudal mechanics just with new flavors of title name, new events and new opinion bonus/malus things to do with Confucianism or Buddhism or whatever. I don't see it being harder than The Republic or Old Gods at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
If they do expand the game to cover china, it's mechanics would also work for the Kara-Khitan, who were a steppe empire in central Asia that was very Siniciszed, being founded by refugees from the Liao Dynasty.

• Locked thread