Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

grack posted:

I had that exact bag for a while. It's comfortable, but I find camera backpacks with rear zipper access to be fairly annoying to use because you have to take it off and put it flat on the ground every time you want to take a piece of gear out. I ended up getting a Flipside series bag instead and liked it much better for dayhikes.

Yeah, my brother has basically the same bag. The only possible value of the opening back is perhaps to prevent pickpocketing or something. Makes the bag a massive pain in the rear end to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 29, 2020

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010
Happy Valentine's day!

I wasn't sure if this should be here or in the mirrorless thread, but here we go: I'm thinking of surprising my girlfriend and travel partner with a new lens for her Olympus EPL3. She's still using the kit lens and now it's not working properly (when she zooms in, the camera displays an error message about the lens), so I'd like to get her something new as a nice gift.

I use a point and shoot myself, so I'm not really sure what to look for in a lens or how to tell if a lens is compatible with her camera. A small lens would be better, since she normally keeps the camera in her purse and she got a mirrorless to cut down on size. We'll be travelling around south east asia soon, so I imagine she'll be shooting landscapes and street scenes mostly. She's a dabbling amateur right now: she often shoots on Auto, but she will spend time to manually set things for shots she really wants.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

CAMERA: Olympus EPL3
LENS SIZE: Smaller is better
PRICE: $500 or less, preferably
SHOOTING: Travel stuff, so mostly street scenes and landscapes

Thanks in advance.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is a fantastic travel lens, I've found.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The new 14-42 power zoom would be a good choice too, keep some flexibility but will make it easier to carry around in the purse.

e. http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-14-42...s=olympus+14-42

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 14, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The 20mm Panny would be my first choice as well. A really good all around travel lens.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Asking the thread is the best bet for finding something good, but if you just want to look at all the lenses currently available for her system, there is an easy way.

Go to https://www.bhphoto.com click photography -> lenses -> mirrorless system lenses. Finally, go to the filters and check off Micro Four Thirds and that will show you all the compatible lenses. From there you can filter it down more if you want.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Dad needs/wants a new camera. He's used to shoot an old Pentax K/M (I forget) so he knows what hes doing but hes just getting old and has moved onto cheap lovely digitals. Anyway, I wanted to get him a bridge camera in the next few months. I've been eyeing the FinePix S1 and thats about the extent of the budget too ($500). Anything else I should consider? Hi res EVF is a must. I'm willing to go shorter on the zoom for bigger sensor.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Bridge cameras are never worth it. It's the worst of both worlds. Big bulky camera with tiny sensors. Unfortunately, you're kinda hosed if you want a point and shoot with an EVF right now. There are lots of options if you want to get a mirrorless system with interchangeable lenses (micro four thirds/nex) but not much in your range for point and shoots.

However, if you're ok with an optical 85% view finder, there is always the Fuji X20. There is a lot to love about it with a bigger sensor, manual zoom, and fast lens with a 4x zoom.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
$500 puts you in used x100 range. If he doesn't need a zoom lens and buys something with a 22+ serial number, that is a hell of a sensor for $500.

I don't know if it counts as a bridge camera, but it is aps-c and can be full manual.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Does anyone know anything about the early (M42 manual focus) Vivtar Series 1 35-85 2.8?
I have Series 1 70-210 3.5 that I really like already. I'm going to be in Europe for 4 weeks this summer, and it sure would be nice to carry around 1 lens, not 3, but only if it is decent. This would be going on my spottie because I'm a nerd, and I like that camera. They're not particularly cheap (for non-Pentax M42 glass), so I don't want to just buy it to find out.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Haggins posted:

Bridge cameras are never worth it. It's the worst of both worlds. Big bulky camera with tiny sensors. Unfortunately, you're kinda hosed if you want a point and shoot with an EVF right now. There are lots of options if you want to get a mirrorless system with interchangeable lenses (micro four thirds/nex) but not much in your range for point and shoots.

However, if you're ok with an optical 85% view finder, there is always the Fuji X20. There is a lot to love about it with a bigger sensor, manual zoom, and fast lens with a 4x zoom.

The olympus stylus 1 is a pretty neat package for a bridge camera (it's basically an om-d with a fixed lens), but it's also expensive to the point that a used em-5 or equivalent would be cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-Digital-Camera-10-7X/dp/B00FZEJ3XG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392519284&sr=8-2&keywords=olympus+stylus+1

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

The olympus stylus 1 is a pretty neat package for a bridge camera (it's basically an om-d with a fixed lens), but it's also expensive to the point that a used em-5 or equivalent would be cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-Digital-Camera-10-7X/dp/B00FZEJ3XG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392519284&sr=8-2&keywords=olympus+stylus+1

Isn't the stylus 1 a small sensor?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nm posted:

$500 puts you in used x100 range. If he doesn't need a zoom lens and buys something with a 22+ serial number, that is a hell of a sensor for $500.

I don't know if it counts as a bridge camera, but it is aps-c and can be full manual.

This is a great answer. Bridge cameras are a bad concept as mentioned. The other option would be a cheap mirrorless or DSLR with a 30/2.8 or 35/1.8 or a 17-50 type lens.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 16, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

timrenzi574 posted:

It's a 1/1.7" sensor, the same as in the Olympus XZ-2 iHS

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

grack posted:

It's a 1/1.7" sensor, the same as in the Olympus XZ-2 iHS

That's what I thought - the OM-D's are m43, so much larger.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is a great answer. Bridge cameras are a bad concept as mentioned. The other option would be a cheap mirrorless or DSLR with a 30/2.8 or 35/1.8 or a 17-50 type lens.

Maybe not? People don't tend to like used stuff as gifts. In the end, what he wants is what makes the best gift. Get the bridge camera. I started on one. It's fine for anyone not looking to get serious and is incredibly versatile for a single device.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

DJExile posted:

The panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is a fantastic travel lens, I've found.

grack posted:

The 20mm Panny would be my first choice as well. A really good all around travel lens.

Wow, this lens looks amazing. My only concern would be the lack of zoom... but then again, if it was higher quality, you could just crop your photos. The Panasonic would be better for low light situations than the Olympus 14-42 power zoom that Mr Despair mentioned, right?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rcman50166 posted:

Maybe not? People don't tend to like used stuff as gifts. In the end, what he wants is what makes the best gift. Get the bridge camera. I started on one. It's fine for anyone not looking to get serious and is incredibly versatile for a single device.

A KEH EX quality X100 is $600, or a X20 is $429. It'll be identical to new, more durable, and better than anything that could be purchased new in the pricerange. It's a pro quality camera from 2 years ago, versus a consumer-grade sensor from today. An explanation of these facts should satisfy any who would otherwise do any comparison shopping (which it sounds like his dad is). An X100 has Program mode just like any other camera.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 16, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

timrenzi574 posted:

Yeah, I was talking more about handling and styling than exact specifics.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Paul MaudDib posted:

A KEH EX quality X100 is $600, or a X20 is $429. It'll be identical to new, more durable, and better than anything that could be purchased new in the pricerange. It's a pro quality camera from 2 years ago, versus a consumer-grade sensor from today. An explanation of these facts should satisfy any who would otherwise do any comparison shopping (which it sounds like his dad is). An X100 has Program mode just like any other camera.

I also had made the assumption that it was a gift. Upon reading the post again, it very well might not be. But absolutely. If you can convince someone to buy used, go for it. But nearly everyone I know prefers to buy new over better performing used stuff.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Chernori posted:

Wow, this lens looks amazing. My only concern would be the lack of zoom... but then again, if it was higher quality, you could just crop your photos. The Panasonic would be better for low light situations than the Olympus 14-42 power zoom that Mr Despair mentioned, right?

Yes, definitely. With your price range you could get the Panasonic off of Amazon and still have enough to pick up a used 14-42mm "kit" lens off of Craigslist.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rcman50166 posted:

I also had made the assumption that it was a gift. Upon reading the post again, it very well might not be. But absolutely. If you can convince someone to buy used, go for it. But nearly everyone I know prefers to buy new over better performing used stuff.

It's just my experience, but "trust me dad, I know cameras", along with a reasonable explanation, works on my dad. People understand that buying used can be cheaper, and KEH is totally upright on their warranty, and their higher grades are impeccable. Getting the younger sibling of a $1300 camera as-new with 6 month warranty is pretty nice, as would be any basic system. Any of their EX cameras are spotless. They grade really, really conservatively.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 16, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Even if it's a gift, you're kind of a doofus if you buy any camera equipment new with how large the used market is. We're not talking saving $20. It can easily add up to thousands over the purchase of an entire system.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Re: bridge camera

Thanks for the input guys. However, I think you're all over/under thinking it. My dad has been through it all with a film SLR in the 70s-90s. He's just old now. He doesn't want to spend a ton of cash on a system he's going to have to carry around, swapping lenses and sooner rather than later giving it up due to old age(his).

He mostly travels with mom and takes snapshots on his iphone because there's very little benefit for him to whip out his old mid range AA powered P&S.

I'd totally gift him my dusty D700 and a stack of primes but it's just not for him.

So having said that, what's the best bridge camera or super zoom P&S I can get for $500 that's going to be more useful than a iphone 5s camera some of the time for a old man that's just taking snapshots but knows how to handle a camera. I've been doing some more digging within fujis lineup and I still can't beat the soon to be released s1(zoom, size, features). The X-S1 looks interesting now that you can get it cheap but it's lower res LCD, limited zoom and just bigger size might be too much. I'm going to check it out in store today.

I just haven't gotten around to comparing to sony/Nikon/canon/etc yet.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
My dad is in his mid 70s and loves his Canon s110.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
That's not a bridge camera.

Take a look at the Canon SX50 HS. 50x zoom is pretty insane. I started off on an SX10 IS and enjoyed it. It has a manual mode as well, which I'm sure your father would be familiar with.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just look at guides on DPreview if that's what you want. I doubt anyone here has all that much time cross comparing bridge cameras.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

powderific posted:

Just look at guides on DPreview if that's what you want. I doubt anyone here has all that much time cross comparing bridge cameras.

Will do.

Just figured everyone's got aging parents/grand parents that would be best suited with a P&S or bridge.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

HPL posted:

My dad is in his mid 70s and loves his Canon s110.
Yeah, if you're open to a P&S this is the forum darling I think? I had a quick go with one recently and it seemed pretty sweet, we were in a blizzard though so maybe not the best conditions to test it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The s120 looks interesting. I already have a s90 and will probably hold onto it forever since it can shoot 720p24.

I'll just have to see if dad can live with ~100mm tele.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If he can live without the tele look at the RX100 original version. It's right near your price point and is a fantastic camera. That's my dad's dad camera and he loves it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I'd second the RX100. Personally, I don't know if I'd want to bother with small sensor point and shoots anymore since camera phones are pretty decent. If I'm going to bother carrying around another device, I'd like better files.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

powderific posted:

If he can live without the tele look at the RX100 original version. It's right near your price point and is a fantastic camera. That's my dad's dad camera and he loves it.

Yeah, that would be my rec if you need a zoom. Really nice camera and I don't think the rx100II added much.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
RX100mk2 added:

Tilting screen.

Hot shoe (allows use of flashes, EVF)

Wired remote control via the multi (USB) port and Sony's newer remote commander

NFC/WiFi shooting

Better sensor with faster AF/better high ISO performance.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
^^^ sup bro ^^^

Haggins posted:

Personally, I don't know if I'd want to bother with small sensor point and shoots anymore since camera phones are pretty decent. If I'm going to bother carrying around another device, I'd like better files.

Totally agree except you can't really go tele with a phone. Plus exposure control.

Btw, how does iphone 5s HDR mode stack up to the best P&S built in DR expansion (not offline raw converted/adjusted DR).

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 17, 2014

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
iPhone zoom lens mount

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ante posted:

iPhone zoom lens mount

Aw hell no.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

nm posted:

$500 is new low-end DSLR or mirrorless with kit lens on sale range. Another hundred bucks and you get a mint-with-box used prosumer DSLR with kit lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.