Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Signal posted:

I add to my oath one Warhound (sans head) and one Warhound-based objective marker, plus one Rhino. All in 6mm scale, from Forgeworld and GW respectively.

JerryLee posted:

:siren: I, JerryLee, oath to paint one Games Workshop Chaos Space Marine, and one Privateer Press Morvahna the Autumnblade, both 28mm :siren:

Accepted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
Is there a reason my oath hasn't been accepted yet? :ohdear:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Namenlos posted:

Is there a reason my oath hasn't been accepted yet? :ohdear:

It was! :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: :love: Happy Valentine's Day! :love: :siren:

I would have gotten each and every one of you cards (I've got most of your addresses) but I thought it would be better to share the picture album of January's completed oaths!

Check it out here - please look through it to make sure your complete oath from last month is in there. If it isn't, post here and let me know. I need to get the link to the judges, so please let me know by Saturday night if your completed oath is missing.

There were many dioramas completed last month as well (gotta get them point totals up!) but they are in a different album just for dioramas, since they aren't eligible for monthly voting and will be judged separately at the end of the season! If you've painted a diorama this season and don't see it in this picture album, post here and let me know.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Check it out here - please look through it to make sure your complete oath from last month is in there. If it isn't, post here and let me know. I need to get the link to the judges, so please let me know by Saturday night if your completed oath is missing.

I don't think I'm in there...? I'm in the diorama album, though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, oaths are judged only at the end of the season (so after April), I think you oathed the diorama only so that's why it's not in the monthly judging. I think this was explained to someone else last month and it is said in the OP as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Yeah, oaths are judged only at the end of the season (so after April), I think you oathed the diorama only so that's why it's not in the monthly judging. I think this was explained to someone else last month and it is said in the OP as well.

Yup I explained it again on January 25th in this post. You can make a diorama and be eligible for the Detektuv's Jurnal, etc. for that month, but dioramas aren't part of the monthly judging so if all you do in a month is a diorama, you can't win a judge's prize.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Vote: Red Shoe, jesus man.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I oath one Reaper Hellhound and two Center Stage Miniatures Hellhounds. They are (supposedly) all 28mm. There will be some light conversion work on them.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 15, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Maaaaan gently caress not being able to spray basecoat Bones. It's taken me basically all my painting time for February (only dark evenings left, and then only until Thursday when I'm gonna be forced to take most of a week off) and I've only JUST finished basecoating the fragging Hydra. Ugh ugh ugh. I stand a reasonable chance of finishing it but man this has been like... watching... paint dry, I guess. It's so bloody awkward getting paint in all those craggy little scales. I hope now that I've done that it'll go off a lot quicker - but I might struggle to complete this month, which is annoyinng because the Wizard is done and looking p. cool.

E: god I want an airbrush.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

thespaceinvader posted:

Maaaaan gently caress not being able to spray basecoat Bones. It's taken me basically all my painting time for February (only dark evenings left, and then only until Thursday when I'm gonna be forced to take most of a week off) and I've only JUST finished basecoating the fragging Hydra. Ugh ugh ugh. I stand a reasonable chance of finishing it but man this has been like... watching... paint dry, I guess. It's so bloody awkward getting paint in all those craggy little scales. I hope now that I've done that it'll go off a lot quicker - but I might struggle to complete this month, which is annoyinng because the Wizard is done and looking p. cool.

Krylon brand spray primer works fine on Bones. I had to find that out the hard way, but it works :v:

I hear ya on painting the Hydra, though. It's a nice model but a total pain in the rear end to paint by hand.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Achmed Jones posted:

I oath one Reaper Hellhound and two Center Stage Miniatures Hellhounds. They are (supposedly) all 28mm. There will be some light conversion work on them.

Accepted!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

I did a Reaper HD Crimson Red base on the Reaper Bones Hellhound above. I thinned it with this. One weird thing about spray-basing Bones is that it'll look like the paint isn't coating correctly, beading up, etc. Then you wait ten minutes and it dries smooth and opaque. It's quite strange, but as long as you're thinning with reducer instead of water you should be fine.

e: I'm sorry, I'm an idiot! I just saw that just that you don't have an airbrush, so you were talking about spraycans. Nevermind! I've only had bad luck priming Bones with Krylon, though. The paint was permanently tacky.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 16, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

NP. I spray primed my first few and a couple of them are actually STILL a little tacky even with 3 layers of paint and varnish, they stick to things and bits of paint come off D:

But I'm also finding that even plain old acrylic stays just a little tack for a LONG time.

Also, that painting this bugger went a LOT quicker once I'd got the base coats laid down. In the course of today I've done two layers of highlight on the body colour and most of one on the back and belly plates. It's looking good.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I've heard people generally have good luck with Army Painter spray primers. Have you tried that?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nah, not as yet.

TBH, except for this bugger I only have one big dragon left to do I think, and I have the right colours to finish that off by hand. I mgiht try the Army painter spray, but I'm a little leery of it given the results of previous sprays and the lack of agreement over certain of them.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I've been goofing around with priming my bones different ways and I think I'm sticking to my gesso. Krylon went on fine, but ended up tacky to the touch and then rejected the black wash I applied. Bare bones did similar with the wash, but held even worse. Gesso took to bones the best with no noticeable issues, with the wash staying where it should. Not really looking forward to having to hand prime all my big bones projects, but probably worth it in the end.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

When I'm OATH'N Feb 2014

4 War walkers (GW)
1 Dire Avenger exarch (GW)

6 Objective Beacons (Warsenal)
6 Access Terminals (Warsenal)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Iris of Ether posted:

I need to some time to work on a potential display board, so for now I'm keeping it light.

I, Iris of Ether, oath The Emperor from Crocodile Games. (28mm scale)

Thanks for giving me the chance to work on a New Year's Eve inside joke. :unsmigghh:

I'm making an oath addition of a drum set from Reaper Miniatures (28mm scale).

I need to get these bits off my desk. :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Iris of Ether posted:

I, Iris of Ether, oath The Emperor from Crocodile Games. (28mm scale)

I like where this is going :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Brock Samsonite posted:

When I'm OATH'N Feb 2014

4 War walkers (GW)
1 Dire Avenger exarch (GW)

6 Objective Beacons (Warsenal)
6 Access Terminals (Warsenal)

Iris of Ether posted:

I need to get these bits off my desk. :v:

Accepted!

NTRabbit posted:

I like where this is going :v:

I was a bit worried about this new theme so I'm hoping everyone is having fun with it :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reaper Bones chat: It is weird to me thespaceinvader that you're the OP of the Reaper thread, which includes the link to the Reaper forums thread that explain what works and what doesn't work for priming/undercoating, but you're still having trouble with tacky base coat. Are you using spray-on primers listed in that post as working?

Here's the list, if you guys don't want to click through:

quote:

Recommended aerosol spray primers and paints:

Army Painter white and coloured primers
Krylon Dual Paint + Primer
Duplicolor Sandable – slight tackiness possible
Rust-oleam Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2x – slight tackiness possible

Problem aerosol spray primers and paints:

Krylon white primer – doesn’t bond, stays tacky
Testors Enamel flat black – stays tacky
Walmart Valu flat white – stays tacky
Krylon Primer red-brown – stays tacky
Citadel spray

I think it'd be cool if we updated/added to this list in the Reaper thread's OP, actually, so if you're testing stuff and finding it not to work, let's get that information shared for everyone.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath complete

The gang's all here:

Close-up of Mom:

Mom from the side:

The kids are playing tug:

This is not my diorama entry - I'd like it to be judged for points this month. Jurnal is the tennis ball, the rope toy, and the fact that it's a group of hellhounds being freakin' dogs instead of demonic killing machines.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Best oath all months.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:pcgaming:OATH COMPLETE!:pcgaming:

I didn't want to do any 4th wall breaking on these boys, so I went with the Freehand theme for Tigurius' shoulder pad and the text on the Dreadnought.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Oath Complete!

There's a war brewing, and there's only one man ready - Hot-N-Ready - enough to fight it. :agesilaus:

Well now I'm in the mood for pizza.

The drumset has 'Zildjinn' brand cymbals. :3:

It hadn't occurred to me, but having a Caesar figure isn't exactly a poor complement for my band.

(Detektuv’s Jurnal is the Little Caesar...carrying a Little Caesar. Honestly, it's Caesars all the way down.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Reaper Bones chat: It is weird to me thespaceinvader that you're the OP of the Reaper thread, which includes the link to the Reaper forums thread that explain what works and what doesn't work for priming/undercoating, but you're still having trouble with tacky base coat. Are you using spray-on primers listed in that post as working?

Here's the list, if you guys don't want to click through:

I think it'd be cool if we updated/added to this list in the Reaper thread's OP, actually, so if you're testing stuff and finding it not to work, let's get that information shared for everyone.

I've edited the reaper OP and added the primer I use which doesn't work either.

Hopefully I'll be able to get this month's oath finished, but a nasty virus has knocked me back a couple days. I've been at home recovering, but not well enough to paint D:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
OATH COMPLETE

The 80th Regimunt of Fut is ready to brave the Deadzone.

The whole lot, including the objective crates - so many models they barely fit in my poor homemade light box.

Now for some closeups.

The two Ripper suits - Rainmaker and Mauler class. I deliberately left these guys looking shiny to make them look like scuffed up painted metal. in the second row Captain Charred stands happily on his ammo box with his two pet Mauler beasts on either side.

Here we have the rest of the boys. Two Goblin snipers along with a soldier and a pyro in the top rank, with three more soldiers in the bottom.

Now, for the Detectivs Jurnul, they are all wearing the colours of the 80th Regiment of Foot, as Victorian redcoats. For those of you who don't know what that looks like, here's my Dad modeling them (The Orcs are wearing the European Shako, which the 80th also had, but my dads group all preferred to wear the more Iconic white helmet of the Zulu War, because they are all big nerds.)

Is that enough of a 4th wall breaker?

Also I'd like to claim the I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 bonus for the objective markers!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I, Weirdo, oath a lucky group of thirteen dwarves, which are Games Workshop Dwarf models (a mix of Warriors, Thunderers and Miners). These guys are being used for my group's Dwarf Fortress inspired Dungeon World game (roll +potash).

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Final oath for the month: 1 Prime Axiom and an Ogre:siren:
Prime Axiom is Privateer Press, the Ogre is Reaper.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Iris of Ether posted:

Oath Complete!

It hadn't occurred to me, but having a Caesar figure isn't exactly a poor complement for my band.

(Detektuv’s Jurnal is the Little Caesar...carrying a Little Caesar. Honestly, it's Caesars all the way down.)

Grey Hunter posted:

OATH COMPLETE

Now, for the Detectivs Jurnul, they are all wearing the colours of the 80th Regiment of Foot, as Victorian redcoats. For those of you who don't know what that looks like, here's my Dad modeling them (The Orcs are wearing the European Shako, which the 80th also had, but my dads group all preferred to wear the more Iconic white helmet of the Zulu War, because they are all big nerds.)

Is that enough of a 4th wall breaker?

In case anyone is still wondering what to do for the Detektuv’s Jurnal, these are both great examples! Get weird, get creative! or just do a different Jurnal for a single point (instead of getting 2 points for doing the current month Jurnal)

Weirdo posted:

I, Weirdo, oath a lucky group of thirteen dwarves, which are Games Workshop Dwarf models (a mix of Warriors, Thunderers and Miners). These guys are being used for my group's Dwarf Fortress inspired Dungeon World game (roll +potash).

Red Shoe posted:

:siren:Final oath for the month: 1 Prime Axiom and an Ogre:siren:
Prime Axiom is Privateer Press, the Ogre is Reaper.

Accepted!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Some previews of the cool things I've been doing this month:

Head-counting spinner. I felt that getting the heads on and off was a bit of a challenge and a hassle in-play, so I went the whole hog and added a spinner. Simple construction, drilled out a circular cavity, cut out a (roughly) octagonal spinner bolted it on. Covered the head of the bolt in glue and added rocks to it.

Aaaand what's this? You'll have to wait and see when I post my completion pic (which does look a lot more likely now that I've had a day feeling a little better but not well enough still to go into work).

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

My hounds aren't listed as converted - could you add that to the spreadsheet, please? Thanks!

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:FUCKIN OATHIN THESE 5 LOOTAS AND 1 SPACE MARINE BY GW.:siren: The marine is my detektuv ingredient, you'll see, it's hard to explain.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

thespaceinvader posted:

Some previews of the cool things I've been doing this month:

Head-counting spinner. I felt that getting the heads on and off was a bit of a challenge and a hassle in-play, so I went the whole hog and added a spinner. Simple construction, drilled out a circular cavity, cut out a (roughly) octagonal spinner bolted it on. Covered the head of the bolt in glue and added rocks to it.

Aaaand what's this? You'll have to wait and see when I post my completion pic (which does look a lot more likely now that I've had a day feeling a little better but not well enough still to go into work).

I have a feeling I have no idea what's going on here.

Monoliths posted:

:siren:FUCKIN OATHIN THESE 5 LOOTAS AND 1 SPACE MARINE BY GW.:siren: The marine is my detektuv ingredient, you'll see, it's hard to explain.

Accepted!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Given that painting a mini has tired me out, I really don't think I would have made it into work, but I'm pleased to say oath complete anyway, given that it was looking decidedly hairy as to whether I'd get this guy done at all.

The Jurnal:

The water mage Richard of the Reeds is known for his odd inventions, but he's particularly proud of this one (others think it's a little weird): a reel of thin tissue paper beaten from the reeds from which he takes his name, for cleaning up spell components, bits of dead monster, wounds of your allies, and... yes, that too. (Yes, my mage has invented toilet paper, I hope this suffices, albeit it's kind of hard to get a clear photo of, but you can see my best attempt in the middle row far right).

I rolled a 1 etc:
The head counting spinner and the detachable heads on the hydra (also, though it's not pictured, the hydra can be removed from the base in order to knock it prone and/or let people share its space without moving the base, which is super-useful for big things in 4e, and something I've done with most of my recent large monsters).

Get Based Out:
The water effects on the mage's base I'm pleased with, though I wish I'd left the layers to cure longer (a LOT longer) as it looked a lot better before the differential drying kicked in and dragged it from a wall of water into a wave. Still doesn't look bad, but I'm not as pleased as I could be with it. I'll stick with it as my GBO entry, because I don't anticipate doing anything so imaginative again. It started out as a circular WotC 1-inch base (I used that one because it has vertical walls and I could thereby add the tape I used to make the mould) which I built up with card in order to give me space to fit the mini on. This is what the wooden block thingy was for incidentally, to hold the mould at the right angle so the water effects would form a wall rather than a puddle. I may have been better off with a two-part resin I think. But I don't have any of that.

I might go back and finish off the inside surfaces of the necks at some point, but the heads are a fiddle to get on and off to the point I'm seriously considering gluing them back in place. It definitely made the beast easier to paint, though. It was a mega frustration due in large part to having nowhere good to hold it where it wouldn't rub off already painted areas, no built in base, too big to stick to my normal painting bases, and I needed to get in underneath anyway. It has a lot of retouching for this very reason.

All still needs varnishing, but that definitely comes once I'm better and can... you know, breathe again.

I may be setting myself a death challenge next month trying to get an entire dragon done in the first weekend argh. I think I'll have to do some basecoating in advance if I can find the time lol.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, oath (somewhat belatedly) one Druid and one Angry Bear, both from Super Dungeon Explore by Soda Pop. Both are approx 28mm scale.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I oath for the month of February one GE high elf seaguard with banner.

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
I oath this Grot contraption for the month of Febuary (GW, 40k)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, oath (somewhat belatedly) one Druid and one Angry Bear, both from Super Dungeon Explore by Soda Pop. Both are approx 28mm scale.

Booley posted:

I oath for the month of February one GE high elf seaguard with banner.

Android posted:

I oath this Grot contraption for the month of Febuary (GW, 40k)

Accepted!

:siren: :siren: Tonight at midnight GMT is the deadline for submitting your February oaths! :siren: :siren:

• Locked thread