Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:laffo: From a US carrier? What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

They're more likely to charge the passengers for the repairs than to compensate them in any way.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Stealth Like posted:

They're more likely to charge the passengers for the repairs than to compensate them in any way.

Does the concept of general average exist in aviation? :getin:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

:laffo: From a US carrier? What do you think?

Nah they'll give you a $5 ($8 if you have elite status!) coupon if theres a 2 hour delay that is due to a mechanical problem.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ethiopian Airline Flight maybe hijacked?

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2014/02/breaking-ethiopian-airlines-flight-702-squawks-hijacking-reasons-unknown/

http://www.flightradar24.com/ETH702/2ba40ab

Been circling close to Geneva for a while.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Strange... watching it circle and now it is putting distance between it and Geneva at a pretty good clip.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

dietcokefiend posted:

Strange... watching it circle and now it is putting distance between it and Geneva at a pretty good clip.

It turned back 'round again.

:ohdear:

quote:

Aircraft apparently cleared for an ILS approach. What could be a hostage negotiator has been heard on the radio

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lined up with the airport, slowing, and descending, hopefully soon to be safely on the ground.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

The Locator posted:

Lined up with the airport, slowing, and descending, hopefully soon to be safely on the ground.

Not a moment too soon either, according to an update in that news link they only have a few minutes of fuel left by now.

quote:

AIRCRAFT HAS LANDED SAFELY

Hell yeah.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 17, 2014

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
So looks like it is on the far side of the airport or something given its proximity (or lack thereof) to the other aircraft on the ground.

Any ideas why no other media has picked up on it?

EDIT:

Pilots heard on radio stating they will be exiting via the aircraft flight deck window.

Thats gotta be fun if you're a passenger to see the pilots running away from the pleasure of your viewing window.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Reckon they let you keep pictures of Swiss-livery F-18's off your wing as a hostage parting gift? Or do the swat folks grab all the media out of your recording stuff.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Slo-Tek posted:

Reckon they let you keep pictures of Swiss-livery F-18's off your wing as a hostage parting gift? Or do the swat folks grab all the media out of your recording stuff.

I guess thats when you swallow your SDHC card and pray your bowels hold together until you get back to the privacy of your hotel room.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

dietcokefiend posted:

I guess thats when you swallow your SDHC card and pray your bowels hold together until you get back to the privacy of your hotel room.

I've done this every flight, for years, just for practice. Let me tell you, it's a lot more pleasant with MicroSD cards, CompactFlash ones don't go down well at all and let's not even mention 35mm

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like it was some kind of hijacking.

Geneva Airport now saying that police are still negotiating with hijackers. (10:32am)

e: Sounds like one of the pilots was the hijacker. Wtf.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 17, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've done this every flight, for years, just for practice. Let me tell you, it's a lot more pleasant with MicroSD cards, CompactFlash ones don't go down well at all and let's not even mention 35mm

Snowdens Secret indeed. :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BBC says 1 hijacker arrested and all crew and passengers safe on the ground according to Swiss 5-0

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

35mm is much easier via the other route. Protip: leave it in the canister.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
More info coming out now.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...2595012094.html

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah, isn't that where they keep the weather radar and all sorts of fancy electronics? What are the odds that got damaged?

The weather radar is probably toast. Who cares though, since he probably popped a pretty good hole in the forward pressure bulkhead. If it were a 777, they'd fix it, but on an MD-80?

He may have just killed an airplane.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They're ditching the MD-80s anyway with all the new A319s coming on board, that's just an accelerated retirement.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They're ditching the MD-80s anyway with all the new A319s coming on board, that's just an accelerated retirement.
What's the dude's address? I'd like to send him a thank-you note.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Is weather radar a downing discrepancy on an airliner? just slap another nose cone on there and don't turn it on I say

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

The weather radar is probably toast. Who cares though, since he probably popped a pretty good hole in the forward pressure bulkhead. If it were a 777, they'd fix it, but on an MD-80?

He may have just killed an airplane.

American's first reaction was probably to get Delta on the line.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

Is weather radar a downing discrepancy on an airliner? just slap another nose cone on there and don't turn it on I say

WX radar is deferrable on every airplane I've ever worked on. I have heard of flight crews refusing a flight if there is bad weather, and no radar, though.

Again, though, is be amazed if there is no structural damage there.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
I never tire of watching these high wind landings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x85YYLuCY4

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Depends on the weather. The weather radar is the least of their problems with that smash though. Like someone else said, that pressure bulkhead is probably in pretty bad way.
You also can't just go with damaged poo poo, or missing poo poo. You couldn't just remove the radar antenna and mount and fly it. To do so would require some pretty high level engineering and FAA authorization and would likely only be as a one-off ferry to main base for repair if they even let you at all. I don't know if that's where the MadDog keeps it's localizer and glideslope antennas, but that's a concern as well.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Man I hope I dont get in trouble for this...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

So is this within limits?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

Push the aircraft back a couple if meters, good to go!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just love the quote "I don't buy tires 'till I see wires"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

smooth jazz posted:

Dry or wet runway?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

smooth jazz posted:

Don't most tires have a warning layer? I say keep going just don't use your brakes :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You have a hook and tailchute, right?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Here's an article about the MD-80 and the tug. This happened at BWI, gate C7. The flight was to DFW.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...arshall-airport

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

0toShifty posted:

Here's an article about the MD-80 and the tug. This happened at BWI, gate C7. The flight was to DFW.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...arshall-airport

Translation: Baltimore to Dallas.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Typing out airport names the long way causes me physical pain IMO TBH LOL

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

this one made me laugh so hard

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FullMetalJacket posted:

this one made me laugh so hard

ITS WATCHING ME

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Big windy has such a derpy butt face. I love it. :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
So it looks like the co-pilot was an rear end in a top hat

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1y8qmh/iama_passenger_on_yesterdays_hijacked_plane_from/?sort=confidence