Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Tanreall posted:

We need to figure out a day and a time to run our RvR group. I'm west coast but generally anything after 4pm PST (7pm EST) is good for me on weekdays. Weekends are mostly open and I'd like to try and get something going near euro prime so we can get a lot of fights. Post what works best for you. Expect that a guild group will run for at least an hour.

Edit: I'm going to run as a shaman.

Im around the same time. 7pm est weekdays and most of the weekend.

Aug Healer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.
Set aside Genesis for the moment and have been enjoying playing some Ywain Hib. Any Culties running around there still? I actually found an old level 20 toon (worked to get it there, no /level in those days!) on the archive server wearing Cult colors. First guild of my first MMO!

CactarHero fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 14, 2014

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Tom Powers posted:

I can't believe the name Xxthorxxfourtwenty was available.

Did you try it in German?

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Started a Runemaster on Genesis, but drat it seems like Mid is dominating. Do you guys expect it to level off? I hate playing for the dominating faction.

Meatsicle fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 15, 2014

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Meatsicle posted:

Started a Runemaster on Genesis, but drat it seems like Mid is dominating. Do you guys expect it to level off? I hate playing for the dominating faction.

It'll wax and wane. Hibernia was the overpopulated faction until Midgard capped all the relics in one night -- I think about 1/5th of Hibernia rerolled Mid after that. At some point Midgard will fill up with bads riding the bandwagon and the process will repeat.

On the other hand, no one plays Alb and I seriously doubt anyone but the most dedicated 8v8 premades ever will. They're apparently extremely hostile to "solo" (didn't come with a guild) players too, so it's kind of hosed.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I'm pretty sure Hib is still the most popular faction on the server. People who rerolled mid will just quit entirely at some point.

Everyone hates alb in this patch, even people playing alb currently. I just don't get the hate.

With that said Hib has some of the easiest classes to play and it's almost always the zerg faction on freeservers, I don't see that changing.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I recently joined <Roleplayers> for some EU time RvR. Been wrecking poo poo. Pulling 100k rp days. Hib is still strong, a couple of solid guild groups running. Alb is garbage at the moment. I'm down for RvR whenever during US time if I'm on.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Where did Woodhouse go?

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?

PriNGLeS posted:

Where did Woodhouse go?

Rerolled to alb, deleted my hero in <IKEA> and have sorc named Desua on alb in <Surprise Sex> along with some others.

Honestly haven't been playing last few days though, server stability has started wearing me down.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Woodhouse posted:

Rerolled to alb, deleted my hero in <IKEA> and have sorc named Desua on alb in <Surprise Sex> along with some others.

Honestly haven't been playing last few days though, server stability has started wearing me down.

It's had moments of quite solid stability. Better than it has been in the past couple of weeks. They added insta rvr porters.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
For those starting in Midgard you can /who "Emain Golf" to see who all is online in the goon guild, and I think any goon can recruit.

Lots of pubbies are getting banned and the popularity will decrease due to stability issues - which will make the server more stable.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 16, 2014

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?

PriNGLeS posted:

It's had moments of quite solid stability. Better than it has been in the past couple of weeks. They added insta rvr porters.

I'll probably jump on again Sunday/Monday and run an alb pug, if I could reroll mid I would though...ugh.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Whoever is playing as Intensify make a set of 102af 99% chain for me sans the chest as I already bought that from you.

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 16, 2014

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Tanreall posted:

Whoever is playing as Intensify make a set of 102af 99% chain for me sans the chest as I already bought that from you.

Intensify isn't an SA member, just fyi. Cool, honest dude though... you can trust him.

km_
Nov 15, 2005
Is Genesis a shard that closely tries to match what the official servers offer, or does it offer things like bonus XP and/or other bonuses?

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

km_ posted:

Is Genesis a shard that closely tries to match what the official servers offer, or does it offer things like bonus XP and/or other bonuses?

Its classic daoc but with faster exp.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

km_ posted:

Heavy bonus for grouping, and the more people you have the better. Full group xp is very very good.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Finally managed to get online some hours, with a decent exp party clearing out DF until mobs stopped respawning. Went from 18 to 29 in a couple of hours. Do not solo on this server.

Also many thanks Hawkeye for that chain gear. Still being butt nekkid at level 29 was kind of annoying (not that it matters much for a healer)

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

Evernoob posted:

Finally managed to get online some hours, with a decent exp party clearing out DF until mobs stopped respawning. Went from 18 to 29 in a couple of hours. Do not solo on this server.

Also many thanks Hawkeye for that chain gear. Still being butt nekkid at level 29 was kind of annoying (not that it matters much for a healer)

In my opinion DF is a huge waste of time seal gear is trash, XP is bad and you can make way more gold in a good malm group. +15 go to frontiers you will be making possibly twice the xp.

Kejek
Nov 19, 2006
Sorry I haven't been on much lately. I try to log in and usually spend 15-20 mins trying to get past the loading screen, and then give up. And evenings is when I'm usually doing other things, so my play time has been reduced to weekend days.

I'll try to log in when I can, I still want to play, but maybe taking a short break while they work some of these kinks out might be a good idea anyways.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
After server reboot I managed to get a full melee group together and headed to frontier. Lvl 36 now. Soon I will have to decide. Pac or aug.

If Uthgard relaunches I really hope they include the group bonus. It really improves the community and people are even glad to invite stealth.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Evernoob posted:

Im pretty much buck naked at 32 as a skald. :x Frontier mobs don't drop poo poo other than a few bits of random vendor loot.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Made the switch to Alb. I always liked their classes more and I like being the underdog. From what I understand this server will be dead once Uthgard relaunches anyway, so I'll prob hook up with you goons then.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Meatsicle posted:

From what I understand this server will be dead once Uthgard relaunches anyway, so I'll prob hook up with you goons then.

If Uthgard is stable, playable on weekends, and actually gives a flying gently caress about a US audience, I will jump ship the instant I can. Right now if something goes wrong when the mods are asleep, the server is completely unplayable.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

boho posted:

If Uthgard is stable, playable on weekends, and actually gives a flying gently caress about a US audience, I will jump ship the instant I can. Right now if something goes wrong when the mods are asleep, the server is completely unplayable.

By "if something goes wrong" you mean "when" because god drat origin is buggy.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
Made it to level 46.5 Yesterday. Was super excited to hop on today and do a few quests to get lvl 50, only to find out the damned "Melting the Ice" quest is bugged. Now I need to get another half level of xp or so and between the difficulty actually getting a group, and the constant crashes/mob bugs its just not happening this weekend. So sad and frustrating :/

For now I will agree with the Uthgard sentiment above. If these guys cant get a couple people in US prime time the ability to reset things I just don't see this working out long term.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Uthgard gives no fucks about any of the player population. Least of all NA.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
They finally took the server down for a reboot.

edit: Looks like there's another classic freeshard in the works: http://www.reddit.com/r/daoc/comments/1xuuic/daoc_camelots_legacy/

Meatsicle fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 17, 2014

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Meatsicle posted:

edit: Looks like there's another classic freeshard in the works: http://www.reddit.com/r/daoc/comments/1xuuic/daoc_camelots_legacy/
That sounds like a complete trainwreck waiting to happen.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Uthgard will be 10x worse than Origin.

Not only are they going to be using the same code to start with they legitimately give NO FUCKS AT ALL about the players. Some nice changes will be remaining on Origins (like the housing system we have now, decent alchemy, etc) which will be removed on Uthgard, either at start, or shortly after. It happened before and it will happen again.

Strictly classic is a dumb mentality to have. I think we can all agree there were some things that are best fixed.

If you're having troubles with Melting the Ice, I'm sorry, I had them myself - but it's ABSOLUTELY worth waiting for. Server freezes during euro primetime lead to missing spawns, but I think there's a daily reboot beforehand, if you can get on early someday, you'll be 50 shortly after. Alternatively, they've been rebooting in the evenings too, some days, due to bugs.

Edit: also, when doing melting the ice- DON'T GROUP. You need exactly 10 kills (step 11) or it messes up, and being in group sometimes leads to extra credit. You can just hit the elementals OUT of group and get 1 full credit.

Give it time - it will be improved. Uthgard will have the same problems.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 17, 2014

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tom Powers posted:

Not only are they going to be using the same code to start with they legitimately give NO FUCKS AT ALL about the players. Some nice changes will be remaining on Origins (like the housing system we have now, decent alchemy, etc) which will be removed on Uthgard, either at start, or shortly after. It happened before and it will happen again.

Strictly classic is a dumb mentality to have. I think we can all agree there were some things that are best fixed.

If you're having troubles with Melting the Ice, I'm sorry, I had them myself - but it's ABSOLUTELY worth waiting for. Server freezes during euro primetime lead to missing spawns, but I think there's a daily reboot beforehand, if you can get on early someday, you'll be 50 shortly after. Alternatively, they've been rebooting in the evenings too, some days, due to bugs.

The gently caress you talking about? Uthgard will not be using the "same code to start with". They'll be using the same stable code base they've been using for 10 years. Housing is implemented. Useful alchemy? Yeah, I guess. Same poo poo, just less charges. Who knows if they'll revert that back to what it should be.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

Uthgard gives no fucks about any of the player population. Least of all NA.
They at least tried for us NA players a bit. Lower port timers, RP bonus, etc. There just wasn't enough of us playing towards the end to make any use of it. :(

Tom Powers posted:

Uthgard will be using the code they've been customizing and everything for years now so it'll run far better than Origins. They seem to have changed their tune when it comes to the player base now that they have some competition but we'll see. Housing isn't going anywhere, they even mentioned it in the latest update for their revamp. Alchemy is staying the same as it was before I imagine. MAYBE 10 charge potions but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

kainashi posted:

Uthgard will be using the code they've been customizing and everything for years now so it'll run far better than Origins.
I find that hard to believe, and I don't trust anything they say.

There's a reason everybody jumped ship as soon as some competition was even mentioned, and similarly, why they haven't been able to fix basic game mechanics for years.

I'm more inclined to believe the few months they've gone down, they're simply changing the default DoL DB (which origins is using) to make it more patch-appropriate. I.e. nerfing things out of the gate rather than after when players discover them broken.

kainashi posted:

Housing isn't going anywhere, they even mentioned it in the latest update for their revamp. Alchemy is staying the same as it was before I imagine. MAYBE 10 charge potions but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I didn't mean Uthgard didn't have housing - I am well aware it did. I was referencing them downgrading housing systems after many years of being functional - week's worth of rent stored per house tier, crappy merchants, etc..

I'm pretty sure potions aren't going to be improved in any fashion, even though I really don't think they impact RVR all that much. Barrels maybe. But the pre-1.100 potions are just bad.

Edit: Not sure if it's 1.110 or when, exactly.. 3 charge, 2 min duration potions, which is what they were before the shutdown.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 17, 2014

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
If they manage to keep Genesis up and running, and stable, while increasing the population cap I won't be going anywhere. The state of the game as it is now, with the increased grouping bonus is close to the best memories I had from DAoC.

I do wonder if the population cap (currently 1100) divides the 3 realms equally, or a 600-300-200 imbalance is possible.

What kind of "machine" of a Server do I need to imagine they are running? Is this something that is easily build for a moderate amount of money? Or do they need special server architecture and a special agreement with their ISP?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I have imposed a 5% guild tax. This is to support a guild house, and that kind of stuff. I don't think it's that much really, especially since most people make the majority of their money from selling to merchants. If anyone has a really serious problem with this, please get in touch with me. Thanks ya'll!

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I was looking for an out of date (uthgard/genesis) crafting guide. I want to pick up armorcrafting but frankly I have no idea where to start.
Even 10y ago I never bothered with crafting, as I had some friends who were really into it and I just dumped all my salvage on them and they always supplied me with whatever equipment I needed.

Do we have a Guild Emblem btw? I am currently trying to find a cloak (no luck on vendors, and none have dropped for me yet)
And what are our mandatory guild colors?

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Evernoob posted:

I was looking for an out of date (uthgard/genesis) crafting guide. I want to pick up armorcrafting but frankly I have no idea where to start.

Do we have a Guild Emblem btw? I am currently trying to find a cloak (no luck on vendors, and none have dropped for me yet)
We've got 2 armorcrafters in the guild already, it's a huge goldsink, so probably better off going a different route unless you REALLY want to do armorcrafting.

We do have a guild emblem, no mandatory colors that I know of. Our emblem is kind of lime green with a dark green V and a mug/fist thing.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evernoob posted:

Even 10y ago I never bothered with crafting, as I had some friends who were really into it and I just dumped all my salvage on them and they always supplied me with whatever equipment I needed.

Just as an FYI, from memory here's roughly how much some of the different crafts cost to get to LGM.

WC/AC - 20-25p
Tailoring - 8-10p
Spellcrafting/Alch - 25-30p
Fletching - 15-20?

Point being, I'd think twice about it. Its a long, DULL grind unless you macro it, and it takes a lot of money to get started.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Tom Powers posted:

Edit: also, when doing melting the ice- DON'T GROUP. You need exactly 10 kills (step 11) or it messes up, and being in group sometimes leads to extra credit. You can just hit the elementals OUT of group and get 1 full credit.

Whens the last time you did it? It hasnt worked at all in the past few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah I tried to do MTI over about 4 days and the mobs are never spawned.

Just do the necklace and modernagrav chest piece quest instead, they work and its a nice chunk of xp (plus two items that are useful for templates at 50)

• Locked thread