Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

What a Judas posted:

I would promptly crack that out of that case and play it. Droooool.

Oh, if I had the money to buy it, that's exactly what I'd do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

What a Judas posted:

I would promptly crack that out of that case and play it. Droooool.

Out of curiosity, how do you play a card like that in a deck and not have it clearly stick out because of the size?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

qbert posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you play a card like that in a deck and not have it clearly stick out because of the size?

It probably is the right size. It's missing the bottom border

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but Magic action figures and these adorable looking "Pop! Vinyls" are coming in April and August!

Pop Ajani looks so cute.

Read the press release here.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

What Kirtar said. The card is normal sized, just miscut.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but Magic action figures and these adorable looking "Pop! Vinyls" are coming in April and August!

Pop Ajani looks so cute.

Read the press release here.

Nissa is definitely the odd one out there. Who the hell wants Nissa?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

There's always an elf player. Always. :stare:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Entropic posted:

If I had to guess they're going to start pushing her as a major character.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Calling it now: Ducks block is going to be all about Nissa. Introducing her years ago was actually a calculated move by R&D to foreshadow her being the chosen one to defeat the eldrazi/phyrexians/whoever simultaneously.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

bhsman posted:

Yeah, there always is. At my LGS, when new people came in to the store for Modern, they either had Burn or Elves. Other than that, the other decks are Merfolk, Kiki-Pod, Melira-Pod, Scapeshift, AIDs (Infect), and Jund which I play. I'm really curious why some people choose to play elves, it's strange to me.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Actually I'm guessing they just wanted an equal number of male and female characters.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Garruk, uh, ain't looking so hot... :geno:

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I wish to hell that the old misprinted FBB revised german forests printed onto plains were tournament playable. Such a sweet misprint.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Is anyone here in the western PA area? Specifically, near Midland? I'm here for a week for training and I have absolutely nothing to do. If you're around here and want to meet up for whatever format (except vintage because I'm not THAT rich,) or food or whatever, I have nothing but free time after 3 PM. I don't mind a little drive, like half an hour or so, but I'm not super interested in driving halfway back to Pittsburgh. Email (my name @ Gmail) is probably the best way to get a hold of me but I can check the forums and PMs when I get back to my hotel room.

And if it wasn't obvious from the above, I live not too far from Pittsburgh (around 40 minutes northish) so if anyone is in that area, I'm always looking for people to play with on my occasional day off from life. I usually play at the Mills mall but sometimes I'm at Nice Guys.

Edit: I seem to remember someone I've traded with/bought from/sold to a few times being in WV even, which might not be too far depending on where? I'm pretty new to the Pittsburgh area so I really don't know where much of anything is.

What a Judas posted:

I live in Baltimore. Come on down for a visit!

Ha, I wish. Traffic aside, I like it down there.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 17, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Is anyone here in the western PA area? Specifically, near Midland? I'm here for a week for training and I have absolutely nothing to do. If you're around here and want to meet up for whatever format (except vintage because I'm not THAT rich,) or food or whatever, I have nothing but free time after 3 PM. I don't mind a little drive, like half an hour or so, but I'm not super interested in driving halfway back to Pittsburgh. Email (my name @ Gmail) is probably the best way to get a hold of me but I can check the forums and PMs when I get back to my hotel room.

And if it wasn't obvious from the above, I live not too far from Pittsburgh (around 40 minutes northish) so if anyone is in that area, I'm always looking for people to play with on my occasional day off from life. I usually play at the Mills mall but sometimes I'm at Nice Guys.

I live in Baltimore. Come on down for a visit!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

Elfball guy from my latest EDH bout had Nissa in his deck, it was the first time I had ever seen that card played. During Zendikar they did hint at Nissa beginning to dabble in black magic to further her pro-Elf xenophobia, I have to imagine they left that open for a reason.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Boxn posted:

Yeah, there always is. At my LGS, when new people came in to the store for Modern, they either had Burn or Elves. Other than that, the other decks are Merfolk, Kiki-Pod, Melira-Pod, Scapeshift, AIDs (Infect), and Jund which I play. I'm really curious why some people choose to play elves, it's strange to me.

If you mean why people choose to play elves in Modern I have no idea, but Legacy Elves is a cool deck for handsome people.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
When I took Elves to a local Modern event, I had no delusions that it was like its cousin in Legacy and just treated it as an aggro deck. Though it did have the ability to cast a big rear end Banefire or Emrakul is the chance came, but I was more concentrated on attacking. What sucks was that there was someone that day playing a crappy mill deck and I was hoping so bad to play against them when I had maindeck Emrakul.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Yo judges, let me ask you a hypothetical question.

A card has the following text:

X cannot be countered.

If X would enter the battlefield and (insert some other condition here), instead X doesn't.

Assuming that the card were being cast and the second condition were met, would the game end at that point, since there's no way to clear the stack?

Edit: Clarified question.

Kraus fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 17, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Kraus posted:

X cannot be countered.

If X would enter the battlefield and (insert some other condition here), instead X doesn't.

Would the game end at that point, since there's no way to clear the stack?

It would probably become exiled.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007
Seems like it would go into your graveyard. Relevant rule:

quote:

608.3b If a permanent spell resolves but its controller can’t put it onto the battlefield, that player puts it into its owner’s graveyard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kraus posted:

X cannot be countered.

Assuming that the card were being cast and the second condition were met, would the game end at that point, since there's no way to clear the stack?

Edit: Clarified question.

Are you saying something tries to counter the uncounterable spell? If that happens it'd just resolve as normal.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

magicalblender posted:

Seems like it would go into your graveyard. Relevant rule:

That makes sense, because the spell would have to resolve for "enter the battlefield" to be true.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

rabidsquid posted:

If you mean why people choose to play elves in Modern I have no idea, but Legacy Elves is a cool deck for handsome people.

Yeah, I meant Modern Elves, I mean I think it's possible for some type of combo elves due to Beck, but still, it's bewilders me.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Entropic posted:

Since Garruk is the pale black and white colors like he is in the M15 promo art, maybe he'll be colorless or have some weird backstory in M15, so they're promoting Nissa to the main green planeswalker.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

a dozen swans posted:

Calling it now: Ducks block is going to be all about Nissa. Introducing her years ago was actually a calculated move by R&D to foreshadow her being the chosen one to defeat the eldrazi/phyrexians/whoever simultaneously.

She's even perfectly setup to be a great 1 mana planeswalker experiment on account of being an elf!

G - 1 loyalty - +1: Add G to your mana pool.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AegisP posted:

She's even perfectly setup to be a great 1 mana planeswalker experiment on account of being an elf!

The tragic part is Xenagos is a better Elfwalker than the Elfwalker.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

The tragic part is Xenagos is a better Elfwalker than the Elfwalker.

Deathrite Shaman is the best elf PW that will ever be printed and it's not even close.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AegisP posted:

But planeswalkers have to be flashy, so

G - 1 loyalty -
+1: Add G to your mana pool.
-50: Pull all the elves lands out of your deck and put them into play.

And while we're releasing tribal planeswalkers, I want a goblin. Coinflips must be involved.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ragnar34 posted:

And while we're releasing tribal planeswalkers, I want a goblin. Coinflips must be involved.

I believe you mean games.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
People tend to forget that Nissa was actually part of a deck that worked well against Jund until Jund players adapted (more blightning).

Also Mythic conscription :laffo:.

The real problem was that Nissa was just that much worse than Elspeth once the dust settled and people learned how to deal with the Nissa deck.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 17, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

In response to something being sacrificed, can I tap and use its ability? For example if I use Trading Post's fourth ability to sacrifice a ratchet bomb then tap and sacrifice the bomb on the stack? Would both abilities activate?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zoness posted:

People tend to forget that Nissa was actually part of a deck that worked well against Jund until Jund players adapted (more blightning).

I remember that deck as being played by someone that was pretty good in my area and it was my first major personal victory with Red Deck Wins. And that it sucked after its first like month of play.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

Samael posted:

In response to something being sacrificed, can I tap and use its ability? For example if I use Trading Post's fourth ability to sacrifice a ratchet bomb then tap and sacrifice the bomb on the stack? Would both abilities activate?

Not if sacrificing is a cost, and costs are everything before the colon on the card text.

For the example, trading Post's fourth ability is "1, T, Sacrifice an artifact: Draw a card." so anything before the colon happens before the ability "Draw a card." goes on the stack. Your ratchet bomb would be in the graveyard before you have an opportunity to respond to the "Draw a card."

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Vomax posted:

Garruk, uh, ain't looking so hot... :geno:

I'm guessing M15 picks up with Garruk the Veil-Cursed, although we probably won't get DFCs in the core set.

Fluff question about Nissa, since I wasn't around for RoE. Is she just supposed to be really stupid? The MTGsalvation wiki says that instead of reinforcing the hedrons, and broke them and released the Eldrazi because she thought they would run away for some reason. Was that better explained ever? Because a one sentence description makes it sound like maybe the dumbest thing any hero in MTG history has done.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

How far north of P.burg do you live? I have some family that lives north of the city in Ross Township.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Music For Cats posted:

Not if sacrificing is a cost, and costs are everything before the colon on the card text.

For the example, trading Post's fourth ability is "1, T, Sacrifice an artifact: Draw a card." so anything before the colon happens before the ability "Draw a card." goes on the stack. Your ratchet bomb would be in the graveyard before you have an opportunity to respond to the "Draw a card."

Actually, on this point - I've just picked up the bombs and haven't really played with them yet. When the sac cost is paid, does it immediately go into the graveyard? That is, can I crack a ratchet bomb set to zero (say, to kill some wave tokens), then with that effect on the stack, sac one of my own elementals/goats/soldiers to recur it back to my hand?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Boxman posted:

Actually, on this point - I've just picked up the bombs and haven't really played with them yet. When the sac cost is paid, does it immediately go into the graveyard? That is, can I crack a ratchet bomb set to zero (say, to kill some wave tokens), then with that effect on the stack, sac one of my own elementals/goats/soldiers to recur it back to my hand?

Yes, that totally works.

Anything on the cost side of the ability (before the : ) happens immediately when you play the ability. Anything on the effect side (after the : ) happens when the ability resolves.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ajani looks less like he has a scar and more like he's AGGRESSIVELY winking at you.

"Don't worry I'll enchant your cats WINKWINKWINK"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Boxman posted:

I'm guessing M15 picks up with Garruk the Veil-Cursed, although we probably won't get DFCs in the core set.

Fluff question about Nissa, since I wasn't around for RoE. Is she just supposed to be really stupid? The MTGsalvation wiki says that instead of reinforcing the hedrons, and broke them and released the Eldrazi because she thought they would run away for some reason. Was that better explained ever? Because a one sentence description makes it sound like maybe the dumbest thing any hero in MTG history has done.

Haha I was wondering this too. I'm inclined to believe she really is that stupid because Sorin is absolutely dumbfounded and just kind of goes "Holy poo poo, gently caress all of ya'll. I'm leaving"

• Locked thread