Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Captain Walker posted:

Persona 2: Tatsuyaventures, man!

Bugs me that Atlus won't even say why they can't release EP PSP here, just "something something license contracts whatever." Maybe they can't say why they can't say? :tinfoil:

While I do agree that EP PSP not coming out of Japan is criminal, I was asking what hadn't been translated already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

We can add NINE and Giten Megami Tensei to the list of untranslated things, but that would require acknowledging they exist.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

TurnipFritter posted:

We can add NINE and Giten Megami Tensei to the list of untranslated things, but that would require acknowledging they exist.

Doesn't Giten have a lot of kanji in the script and is very hard to run on Windows?
From what I've heard of the plot it actually sounds pretty interesting, even if some of its decisions sound much better in a old comic book. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ChaosArgate posted:

What hasn't been translated at this point? [...] the Last Bible games?

Last Bible 1 was officially released in English as Revelations: The Demon Slayer for the GBC. Last Bible 2's GBC remake has a fan translation. Another Bible (a spin-off of the spin-off!) apparently has a fan translation, though I haven't played that one.

I don't think Last Bible 3 and Special have any translations though, yeah.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

There's also Ronde. But from what I've heard, it would take a very spiteful person to inflict that game on the English masses.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

ChaosArgate posted:

Devil Summoner 1 (but who cares about that)

I do v :( v
It's like Soul Hackers only the main character can do damage and loyalty's harder to deal with.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ChaosArgate posted:

While I do agree that EP PSP not coming out of Japan is criminal, I was asking what hadn't been translated already.

I meant the PSP-exclusive scenario where Tatsuya is doing stuff while Maya's on her adventure doing whatever Maya does in EP. Don't tell me, I just finished IS today and all I know about EP that wasn't in the first 5 minutes or the manual is that there's something called the New World Order.

Also, to whoever told me that the PSX translation was very different in its characterization from what you might expect in a Persona title:

I see no problem here :colbert:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
There are times in EP where the translated dialogue is kinda awkward and sometimes when it struggles with Japanese idioms, but otherwise it's pretty solid. Atlus didn't have very good editors back then, I don't think. They were also a little bit saddled by the P1 references, especially with the anglicizing that was done.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
ALso, Smt if... hasn't been translated yet. Supposedly Aeon Genesis are working on it, but they're working on like seventeen bajillion projects, barely ever finishing any.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
They just finished three recently. So they do finish projects, just somewhat slowly.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Booky posted:

Doesn't Giten have a lot of kanji in the script and is very hard to run on Windows?
From what I've heard of the plot it actually sounds pretty interesting, even if some of its decisions sound much better in a old comic book. :v:

I don't think there's any more Kanji in Giten than any other game from that era (and copious amounts of Kanji make stuff lots easier to translate besides) but the Windows port was garbage when it came out and isn't going to run reasonably on anything other than a Pentium 2 running Japanese Windows 95/98. Early Japanese Windows games are just plain programmed badly. The plot's interesting enough, if immensely hosed up--it's basically a Go Nagai manga in video game form. It has some nice mechanics and a huge world to explore, but the balance and pacing is terrible and it feels unfinished. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it's not really a good one either.

Megami Tensei 1 though is a really bad game--nice that it got a translation but it's not really worth playing. I'm probably one of the biggest 1st-person dungeon crawler fans on this forum and even I wouldn't want to suffer through it again.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Genpei Turtle posted:

I don't think there's any more Kanji in Giten than any other game from that era (and copious amounts of Kanji make stuff lots easier to translate besides) but the Windows port was garbage when it came out and isn't going to run reasonably on anything other than a Pentium 2 running Japanese Windows 95/98. Early Japanese Windows games are just plain programmed badly. The plot's interesting enough, if immensely hosed up--it's basically a Go Nagai manga in video game form. It has some nice mechanics and a huge world to explore, but the balance and pacing is terrible and it feels unfinished. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it's not really a good one either.

Megami Tensei 1 though is a really bad game--nice that it got a translation but it's not really worth playing. I'm probably one of the biggest 1st-person dungeon crawler fans on this forum and even I wouldn't want to suffer through it again.

Yeah, I think I heard a bit about how they don't really tell you where to go in Giten and that the very beginning of the game is just VR Training for a while until the plot starts up.

I remember you talking about MT1 being bad, though. The fusion chart (half the results are Dryads :v:) and dated layout probably make that game very painful.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
ATTN Eurogoons: Persona 3 FES is finally on the European PSN store!

Shockingly, unlike the Ghostlight-published PSP releases of Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, and Persona 3 Portable, it's not even 4 times as expensive as in the US! What crazy times we live in.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA9NAMXA4zY

This was posted on 4chan the other day. It's the announcement of all the Persona 3/4 games taken from the crowd. Notice how the crowd goes wild only when Yu is on the screen.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA9NAMXA4zY

This was posted on 4chan the other day. It's the announcement of all the Persona 3/4 games taken from the crowd. Notice how the crowd goes wild only when Yu is on the screen.

I like the reaction of "THAT'S IT?". Apparently the video didn't catch the P5 announcement.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, I still want to see a P5 announcement video like that. The Japanese always go nuts over stuff like that and I love seeing those videos.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Instant Grat posted:

ATTN Eurogoons: Persona 3 FES is finally on the European PSN store!

Shockingly, unlike the Ghostlight-published PSP releases of Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, and Persona 3 Portable, it's not even 4 times as expensive as in the US! What crazy times we live in.

As an addendum to this, it seems that Atlus are actually publishing it themselves, like they're doing with the digital version of Conception II. I'm liking this new self-publishing-in-Europe thing that Atlus has going on - maybe we'll actually get some of the upcoming Persona games in something resembling a reasonable timeframe!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Instant Grat posted:

As an addendum to this, it seems that Atlus are actually publishing it themselves, like they're doing with the digital version of Conception II. I'm liking this new self-publishing-in-Europe thing that Atlus has going on - maybe we'll actually get some of the upcoming Persona games in something resembling a reasonable timeframe!
Is this "Atlus" or "Atlus US"?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nate RFB posted:

Is this "Atlus" or "Atlus US"?

The SEN store page just mentions "Atlus" as well as Index. This is as opposed to (for example) the P3P page, which mentions Ghostlight as the publisher.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe that's the first change Sega is making to the company? At first I was under the impression the Conception II thing was more of a fluke since Atlus doesn't own the base game and Spike Chunsoft wanted a consistent localization. Flat out releasing Persona 3 without TecmoKoei is a whole different story.

E: A Nintendo Direct was scheduled for tomorrow, the 13th at 2PM PST, 5PM EST, 11PM BST for 3DS/WiiU games due out by the end of spring. Maybe a Persona Q announcement?

Dehry fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 12, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Nintendo Direct ended and there was no SMT IV Europe or Persona Q international news, but we got a new trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXe2EGTevs

Nanako appears in one scene, Fuuka heals the time like Rise does in Golden, it also explains the tiny characters. We'll get more info once one of the translators get a hold of it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Akihiko and Shijiro are shrinking in size, and don't even notice it. :allears:

That said, oh God, Kappei Yamaguchi's shrunken voice. :gonk: I'm getting Beast Wars Japanese dub flashbacks.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Friday Persona Q update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVSUZ2_4Qfo
Teddie translated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctuxObuZEZg
Aigis translated

As a bonus:
StrawberryCreme on YouTube should have an English version of 'Memories of You' up sometime today. Delayed indefinitely Here's her cover of Never More:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTB0H6DnBg

Dehry fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 14, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hey now, this is before P4 Arena. Aigis isn't supposed to have TROLL.exe installed yet, Atlus!

Also, nice to see Teddie's human form. Maybe we might be able to use that form in battle like The Golden allowed us to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dear god I forgot how much Teddie's Japanese voice makes me want to jam knives into my ears.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I'm finally getting around to P4G. Do you eventually get to fully analyze demons like in P3? Teddie doesn't tell you poo poo and I liked not having to experiment every time I saw something new.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Fooley posted:

I'm finally getting around to P4G. Do you eventually get to fully analyze demons like in P3? Teddie doesn't tell you poo poo and I liked not having to experiment every time I saw something new.

Not really, no. You can eventually get one weakness revealed, but it doesn't work like it does in P3.

E: guess it was added in Golden near the end of game. My bad.

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 17, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Not really, no. You can eventually get one weakness revealed, but it doesn't work like it does in P3.

This is a lie. You'll be able to see all of an enemy's stats with the third-tier Persona of your analysis person, but that's only available after the December dungeon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Dear god I forgot how much Teddie's Japanese voice makes me want to jam knives into my ears.
It sort of works for his annoying mascot form but hearing it come out of his human form is the weirdest thing ever. The English one worked a lot better because it sounded like a voice a human being would actually have while still being a little annoying/overbearing.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Strange Quark posted:

This is a lie. You'll be able to see all of an enemy's stats with the third-tier Persona of your analysis person, but that's only available after the December dungeon.

Not so much a lie as a mistake, but nonetheless it's very near the end of the game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://gematsu.com/2014/02/sega-dividing-index-two-companies-index-atlus

Sega is splitting Atlus from index starting April 1st.

Index Digital Media, formerly known as Atlus USA, is being renamed to Atlus USA again.

Index really had a bunch of businesses Sega proper didn't need like movie distribution among other things.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Does this mean Atlus USA will no longer be publishing Atlus JP games, which Sega will now publish or am I misunderstanding completely?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think they would have bothered to rename them if they weren't going to use them. They'd just axe them instead.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

hubris.height posted:

Does this mean Atlus USA will no longer be publishing Atlus JP games, which Sega will now publish or am I misunderstanding completely?

I think the naming part of it is just a disambiguation thing. Atlus develops games, Atlus USA localizes for NA, Index does whatever else Index Corp does.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/18/persona-director-shares-message-fans/

Like clockwork, the persona director issues a statement on the change.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

In other news, PQ will apparently have gameplay, of some sort. If you look closely, you'll see some... interesting things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

In other news, PQ will apparently have gameplay, of some sort. If you look closely, you'll see some... interesting things.

That gameplay is, as described, literally Etrian Odyssey + some Persona mechanics.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That gameplay is, as described, literally Etrian Odyssey + some Persona mechanics.

Well, yes. I'm not sure what else you would be expecting. The interesting part I was talking about is Chie appearing to summon Cu Chulain.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

Well, yes. I'm not sure what else you would be expecting. The interesting part I was talking about is Chie appearing to summon Cu Chulain.

So they're going to explain why the P3/P4 characters can only summon one persona and give them the power to summon more during the game?

It looks like someone else is summoning Jack Frost.

E: If you look at it, they never model the Personae and just show a picture...

Dehry fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

So basically Shin Megami Tensei If? :v: