Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I just kind of wonder what things like art or music would be in the DC or Marvel universe. Superheroes seem like they would be the biggest celebrities to ever exist. They prove that there is life on other worlds or that gods exist which are kind of, you know, the biggest questions humans could ever have.

I've read enough stories about Batman beating up the Joker.

Well there's Dazzler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent posted:

McKelvie can only draw one type of face, can't he?

Yeah, I was reading through Fraction's Defenders, where McKelvie was the fill-in for a couple of issues and everyone was doing the exact same faces as in YA. I like him in general, but it's pretty grating.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

I agree, same with Notto.
Besides Captain Marvel, Kid and Teenage Loki what other redesigns has he done? Were the Young Avengers costumes all on him?

He did Wiccan's "demiurge" costume too didn't he? Or am I remembering wrong and Wiccan was wearing that one the whole time?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TwoPair posted:

He did Wiccan's "demiurge" costume too didn't he? Or am I remembering wrong and Wiccan was wearing that one the whole time?

No, you are right, the demiurge one is new. Did Hawkeye's costume came from YA or Fraction's Hawkeye? (I think she wore it in the one issue with the car chase)

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I'm reading through the Runaways and can someone help me fill the gap here.

Volume 2 #24 it's Feb 2007 and the last one written by Brian Vaughan. It ends with Ironman in the hostel and a cliff hanger. Next is Volume 2 #25 in April 2007 and the start of Whedon's run. But I have no idea how they got out of that situation or anything.

I read the Civil War cross over with Young Avengers and it didn't help. Am I missing something here or what?

Edit: maybe this belongs in the Q&A thread?

itskage fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 17, 2014

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Nope, Whedon decided to just skip that whole thing and just give it a mention in passing. The first of several terrible things about his run on the book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Angry Walrus posted:

Nope, Whedon decided to just skip that whole thing and just give it a mention in passing. The first of several terrible things about his run on the book.

Joss Whedon, for me at least is the ultimate "It could be really good, but it might suck, so I'm going to wait for reviews."

When he's on, he's on, but I'd rather read something from a new author I don't know much about with an interesting premise then give a chance to his books until I know they're good (and it's not like he hurts for cash, having directed one of the biggest movies of all time), plus I only have so much money to spend in a week.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Angry Walrus posted:

Thanks. At least I know I'm not missing anything. On one hand I'm glad I don't have to watch one author bull poo poo his way out of a situation another writer put him in, but on the other hand it's pretty drat lazy and awful for the reader.

His run wasn't very good, but the book as been going downhill since the end of the first volume. That was a thought out plot with some running mystery threads and everything after that just feels like sequel city.

At this point I just want to finish it out, but I don't think Whedon's part was much worse than the rest of volume 2. I just read the secret invasion cross over and I'm starting volume 3 now, but I doubt it gets any better (since it ends soon).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I've just seen a Kickstarter that actually looks pretty cool: Comic Book People: Photographs from the 1970s and 1980s

These are my favorite pictures from the Kickstarter page. I don't think I need to label them. :)

Love that mustache. :allears:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I keep seeing that Kickstarter making the rounds and I really wish there was a digital version being offered because I would jump on it immediately.

Clowes murder face and Hernandez' cool pose are too much.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
My comic shop is switching to a "pre-order/pre-pay" model for floppies so I think that this is finally my chance to stop buying loving physical comic books. Thank god.

If I only ever buy physical copies of Empowered and Hellboy (because DH's digital service is garbage) again that would be great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

My comic shop is switching to a "pre-order/pre-pay" model for floppies so I think that this is finally my chance to stop buying loving physical comic books. Thank god.

If I only ever buy physical copies of Empowered and Hellboy (because DH's digital service is garbage) again that would be great.

gently caress your shop. We ask for a credit card to keep on file in case you vanish and leave us with a month's worth of books but that's it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

itskage posted:

At this point I just want to finish it out, but I don't think Whedon's part was much worse than the rest of volume 2. I just read the secret invasion cross over and I'm starting volume 3 now, but I doubt it gets any better (since it ends soon).

Whedon's run isn't great but it feels like gold after reading Terry Moore's run. I actually like some of Terry Moore's indie work, but his work on Runaways is an absolute trainwreck. I think Kathryn Immonen might have been able to rehab the book, but it was cancelled out from under her and we'll never know.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. So if I just happen to be in your town and stop into that shop, I can't buy a comic book?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

chime_on posted:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. So if I just happen to be in your town and stop into that shop, I can't buy a comic book?

I'm assuming it means pull lists because anything else just sounds retarded.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Len posted:

I'm assuming it means pull lists because anything else just sounds retarded.

I think it means if you have a pull list you pay for it monthly before they place the order, so they do not get stuck with a poo poo load of comics/merch that might not sell.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
To be fair that's what I do through Midtown online. But they give a pretty hefty discount for doing that. About 30%.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It occured to me last night that almost no one calls Dr. Doom "Dr." in comics anymore. Everyone just calls him "Doom". I don't know if that's just an impression I get, but I feel like they've been more or less trying to ditch the nonsensical "Doctor" part of his name as much as they can get away with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

It occured to me last night that almost no one calls Dr. Doom "Dr." in comics anymore. Everyone just calls him "Doom". I don't know if that's just an impression I get, but I feel like they've been more or less trying to ditch the nonsensical "Doctor" part of his name as much as they can get away with.

Well obviously he wouldn't have ceased his studies. He's a Professor by now.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

NONE SHALL CHALLENGE POST-DOCTORATE DEGREE DOOM!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theflyingorc posted:

NONE SHALL CHALLENGE POST-DOCTORATE DEGREE DOOM!

FOOLISH RICHARDS! YOU HAVE INTERFERED WITH MY PLANS FOR THE LAST TIME! DOOM HAS TENURE!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I just kind of wonder what things like art or music would be in the DC or Marvel universe. Superheroes seem like they would be the biggest celebrities to ever exist. They prove that there is life on other worlds or that gods exist which are kind of, you know, the biggest questions humans could ever have.
There should be a comic book where Jay Z is a supporting cast member because in the real world, Jay Z would totally try to become friends with a superhero.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rhyno posted:

FOOLISH RICHARDS! YOU HAVE INTERFERED WITH MY PLANS FOR THE LAST TIME! DOOM HAS TENURE!

I have also always wanted Marvel to reveal an alternate dimension that contains Doctor Doom, D.D.S.

YOU FOOLS WILL REGRET NOT FLOSSING

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theflyingorc posted:

I have also always wanted Marvel to reveal an alternate dimension that contains Doctor Doom, D.D.S.

YOU FOOLS WILL REGRET NOT FLOSSING

THE ONLY HORROR WORSE THAN WHAT DOOM WILL UNLEASH ON RICHARDS IS GINGIVITIS.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Timeless Appeal posted:

There should be a comic book where Jay Z is a supporting cast member because in the real world, Jay Z would totally try to become friends with a superhero.

Jay-Z would have married Storm.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Timeless Appeal posted:

How about Eminem meeting the Punisher?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Punisher does not have friends but people that he is not currently shooting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mister Roboto posted:

How about Eminem meeting the Punisher?

That was a legitimately great comic and it was awesome seeing be-trenchcoated anti-social losers go insane over their idol crossing over with a "loving RAPPER".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kirby is obviously going, "Get a haircut, hippie."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

Kirby is obviously going, "Get a haircut, hippie."

Moore looks like he stormed the stage to shout "end the war, man" while Kirby just stares and thinks "So this is where comics are going. I have wasted my life."

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm seeing an eye-smile from Kirby. He looks pleasantly bemused at the strange jungle man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about that Sergio Aragones picture is that he looks like a Sergio Aragones character.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Madkal posted:

Moore looks like he stormed the stage to shout "end the war, man" while Kirby just stares and thinks "So this is where comics are going. I have wasted my life."

Kirby's way cooler than that, man.

quote:

TJKC: Probably one of the more positive things that happened to you when you came to the States was that you were able to meet Jack Kirby in person. What type of an impression did you get? What did he say to you?

ALAN: It was very brief. It was a bit of a tense time because it was during that panel where we were talking about getting Kirby's artwork back from Marvel. So I met Jack very briefly before or after that panel, but all I remember was that aura he had around him. This sort of walnut colored little guy with a shackle of white hair and these craggy Kirby drawn features. This sort of stockiness. I just remember him chatting with me and Frank Miller and he was saying in this kind of raspy voice, "You kids, I think you're great. You kids, what you've done is terrific. I really want to thank you." It was almost embarrassing to have Jack Kirby thanking me. I just assured him that it was me who should be thanking him, sort of because he had done so much to contribute to my career. He had a glow around him, Jack Kirby. He was somebody very, very special.

http://twomorrows.com/kirby/articles/30moore.html

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, Kirby wanted comics to progress and change and evolve. I feel like I might be making this up, but I think there was a quote from him about how the Kirby method was just doing something different from what he did.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

I'm seeing an eye-smile from Kirby. He looks pleasantly bemused at the strange jungle man.

That's his "sizing up" stare. He's determined that he can take Alan Moore in a fight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

That's his "sizing up" stare. He's determined that he can take Alan Moore in a fight.

I am convinced that Jack Kirby could take anyone in a fight.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Especially Moore. At the time he couldn't have been more than a level five Wizard, The King could beat him up in one Full Round Attack action.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Especially Moore. At the time he couldn't have been more than a level five Wizard, The King could beat him up in one Full Round Attack action.

Was this photo before or after Moore became a follower of the snake god, because with snake god powers I wouldn't be so sure.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

To be fair, it's an imaginary snake god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, it's an imaginary snake god.

Aren't they all?

• Locked thread