Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FadingChord posted:

Now all we need is a good Rick Moranis minifigure. Any nominations?

If you wanted to do the scene where he's being interviewed at the station after he's possessed, this might come in handy.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=43280&colorID=22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

FadingChord posted:

Now all we need is a good Rick Moranis minifigure. Any nominations?

Egon's face on a Hobbit body of some sort. Anything that puts him below the GB's in height.

edit: Goddamnit, now I NEED a modular firehouse, anyone have a spare they wanna sell or trade for a UCS B-Wing?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Finally saw The Lego Movie today, on my wife's birthday none the less. She is not a Lego fan but she knows I am, and everything else playing looked like crap or only rental worthy. The wife liked the movie, of course I absolutely lived it. Spoiler time:

I was surprised to see so much non-Lego usage, but in the end it makes sense given the plot. I love names for everything, like "the sword of exact zero". My favorite part of the movie was the Millennium Falcon simply because I am a Star Wars nerd and I remember how much the Millennium Falcon broke down in Empire Strikes Back.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Nevermind that, look at the classic X-Men!

http://news.toyark.com/2014/02/16/toy-fair-2014-lego-marvel-comics-114928

Though as far as Sentinels go, the one in that set is seriously pathetic.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Has there been a price released for the Ghostbusters set or at least any guesstimates?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rythe posted:

Has there been a price released for the Ghostbusters set or at least any guesstimates?

At a guesstimate, probably only a little bit more than the BTTF Delorean. Car looks about roughly the same size, give or take, maybe a few more bricks on top. 4 minifigs compared to 2. So maybe $40-45?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

That Bike Shop/cafe. Oh man.

poo poo, thought you were talking about a new modular :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

djfooboo posted:

poo poo, thought you were talking about a new modular :smith:

It could be made into one! I'm planning to!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Pretty sure I saw that Ghostbusters set being listed as $50 by multiple sites.

Yep, $50 USD/$60 CAD. Available in July.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Went to the movie again today, snuck a photo of the tiny space ships they had in the credits and of course ran home to build them.

Microscale ships from Lego movie credits. (Ran out of trans yellow) by mrxzzy, on Flickr

The big one is really boring and has terrible build quality.. some of the wing bits are only held on by a single stud. The small one is pretty cool though, I just ran out of pieces in the right colors. I always find myself short on trans yellow.

The one in the back is one I posted a few weeks ago for comparison purposes.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

Nevermind that, look at the classic X-Men!

http://news.toyark.com/2014/02/16/toy-fair-2014-lego-marvel-comics-114928

Though as far as Sentinels go, the one in that set is seriously pathetic.

The Sentinel is definitely piss poor, but 80's X-Men costumes? Yes please!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

LEGO MODOK! LEGO TASKMASTER! LEGO MODOK!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those are some pretty half assed builds. I guess they're just minifig sets with some random bonus bricks they had laying around the factory?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Sadly when it comes to the superhero sets TLG is aware enough of the fact that people really only want the figs anyway so they're basically throwing whatever they want together so they can claim it's a Lego construction set and not just a box of minifigs so they don't get sued by whoever has the rights to sell action figures.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The one thing I am super excited for aside from MODOK MINIFIG and Ecto-1 is the upcoming Hobbit sets.

But only if Smaug is a brick-built monstrosity and not some molded piece of garbage. He has to be a giant glorious heavy beast, not made of like 15 large parts.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm slightly sad I missed the Wolverine/Deadpool/Magneto/Chopper set.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Chairchucker posted:

I'm slightly sad I missed the Wolverine/Deadpool/Magneto/Chopper set.

From everything I've read, that's one of the recent sets that is an 'investor win' for resellers since they know everyone wants the minifigures. I keep hearing about guys who are sitting on stockpiles of like 60+ of them to slowly resell for huge profit.

Seriously, I need to stop reading about Lego investors-- it just makes me kind of annoyed. There is the whole angle of 'Wow, I wish I had spare money and time to make money off of flipping sets and use the profits to buy sets for myself' but mostly it just makes me angry to know that some nerd or some jobless dude who failed at day trading is laughing to himself for snapping up all of the 50% off sales at Target and reselling them online for relatively huge profits compared to what he spent. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth for folks like me who just want to enjoy the sets but don't have a ton of money to spend on full prices from S@H or such.

Oh well. That's the internet I guess. Anything that can easily be flipped for the slightest of profit will be milked dry in one microsecond. Bonus fact: most of these guys on this forum openly talk about how they are not actual Lego fans, they just love making money off easy flipping and price gouging.

Pictures from Brickpicker to fill you with jealous rage as to why things increase in price on ebay 200% as soon as they go out of retail sale:

poo poo like this makes me wish Lego would go back and randomly re-release old sets just to gently caress with these dudes.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 17, 2014

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Reminds me of the prick in this thread who bought 25 of those UCS B-Wings when they were half off.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

EvilJoven posted:

Sadly when it comes to the superhero sets TLG is aware enough of the fact that people really only want the figs anyway so they're basically throwing whatever they want together so they can claim it's a Lego construction set and not just a box of minifigs so they don't get sued by whoever has the rights to sell action figures.

This seems to me to be the case much more for Marvel than DC (though both have really sparse sets). I think it's because they've had the Batman license for forever, so they have to experiment a little more with him.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Reminds me of the prick in this thread who bought 25 of those UCS B-Wings when they were half off.

Exact same folks. The recent Walmart 50% Lego sale thread on Brickpicker was "Buy them all, regardless if you like the sets-- so including Galaxy Squad. Quick flips on Ebay for people who don't know to get to the store right at opening time to buy out the whole stock! Can't lose!"

It just makes me annoyed to know that there was even any Lego sets of stuff that I possibility actually want at 50% off (GS stuff is neat and hell I'd get it at 50%, but maybe not full price like better sets), but knowing folks like this exist just from reading that other forum make me not even want to check the stores since I figure they'll all be long gone.

It's like I'd rather be blissfully ignorant of my hypothetical savings loss or something :v:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Still can't decide if I should get Sea Cow or not.

Captain Invictus posted:

But only if Smaug is a brick-built monstrosity and not some molded piece of garbage. He has to be a giant glorious heavy beast, not made of like 15 large parts.

Smaug will almost certainly be molded. A shame, but the dragon in the new Castles line (who makes an appearance in the film) is pretty good for what it is.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I've been tempted to do that speculation thing with sets and/or minifigures. But ultimately it's too much work for too little profit and I can't be bothered. Lego is on such a roll now they bring out so many new sets a year and have so many new licenses that people are spoiled for choice and I just don't think we're going to see the inflated prices for discontinued stuff we once did with a few exceptions.

I can hop on Brickbadger and see sets I know I could flip for a profit (or even just the minifigures) most days, in the UK anyway, but eh... life's too short.

I wouldn't go to a store and buy up stuff though.

Captain Magic posted:

This seems to me to be the case much more for Marvel than DC (though both have really sparse sets). I think it's because they've had the Batman license for forever, so they have to experiment a little more with him.

Another factor is that DC tends to have more colourful villains and be slightly less based in the real world (or as real world as super-heroes get). So the Joker can have Joker's Whacky Helicopter with a big smiley face and crazy colours to pad out a Batman vs Joker set. Marvel characters tend to have more realistic settings and less iconic vehicles. Which makes for some pretty dull playsets.

These playsets (which are becoming more common in licensed, ie expensive, sets) also give kids a bit more bang for their buck by turning a 3d structure into a series of 2d walls to give the feel of an complete environment with a hell of a lot less bricks. I guess they're kind of 2.5d That said, these ones are still pretty boring. When done well these kind of sets can be really good. Compare last years Dragon Mountain (http://brickset.com/sets/70403-1/Dragon-Mountain) which I think was an amazing playset to that Marvel one and it's a world of difference.

Also... that bike shop is awesome. It's like My First Modular. So getting it for my kid.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 17, 2014

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Lego speculation is silly and I hope it bites people in the rear end something fierce.

I hbought 2 out of production sets and thankfully didn't pay much over RRP but I knew going into it I was going to have too. (8285 and 8258)

I have to like a set enough to pay regular retail price for me to generally buy it as a complete set. If it just has a lot of parts I want I will wait for it to go on sale but even then I will generally turn to bricklink and buy a gutted version that has no minifigs for 1/4 of the cost.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Captain Invictus posted:

The one thing I am super excited for aside from MODOK MINIFIG and Ecto-1 is the upcoming Hobbit sets.

Lego really needs to consider vignettes rather than playsets. The hillside of a mound of gold with just a highly detailed dragon's head peeping out from behind a column would make a fantastic looking piece, but we'll probably just get a dragon 1/20th the size it should be and four gold pirate coins.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Because kids love vignettes!

Some AFOL targetted display scenes for popular licenses would be cool though. Scale, aqnd the lack of consitancy, is a big issue in the LOTR line for me. I'm not going to buy a black gate set where the gate is about three minifigures tall, if that. Again kids don't really give a drat, but I always thought a consistant scale Lord of the Rings Archetecture line would be awesome.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Inspired by the Lego movie's 'build whatever the gently caress you want out of whatever the gently caress you want' message, and particularly by it turning random things like saloons and garbage trucks into flying machines, I decided to put the spare parts from my Lone Ranger set to use.

I don't really have any other Lego so it was easy to stay on theme, but tricky finding suitable substitutes for things like the propellers.

Bonus cat action shot

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gravy Jones posted:

Because kids love vignettes!

Some AFOL targetted display scenes for popular licenses would be cool though. Scale, aqnd the lack of consitancy, is a big issue in the LOTR line for me. I'm not going to buy a black gate set where the gate is about three minifigures tall, if that. Again kids don't really give a drat, but I always thought a consistant scale Lord of the Rings Archetecture line would be awesome.

Isn't the point of lego to just build that stuff yourself if you want? That's why nerdfests like brickworld does so well.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I think the point of Lego varies a great deal from person to person. Which is one of the reasons its so popular. Scratch-building an accurate architecture scale Minas Tirith MOC isn't my thing.

VVV Well maybe not Architecture scale (my bad there), more like Architecture style. Desktop models of famous fictional landmarks.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 17, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well yeah, but in the case of sets that lego would literally never sell because it would be 10,000 grey bricks and 20,000 white ones, the only option is to scratch build it. :v:

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Well the new ghostbusters car looks pretty cool, and appears to be using some clever tricks here and there that i haven't quite yet worked out.

Shame it uses some parts from 2014 wich aren't in LDD yet though.

Because i may have been reverse engineering it for a while. since last night or so, spent about 3 hours on it total so far.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
MetalBeard's Sea Cow is up for sale to VIP members on Shop Lego now for $250. There's a DESIGN video for the set, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn that boat is a build and a half. It's basically one big greeble.

And it comes with the couch. :allears:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Personal favorite detail is the seasick Unikitty, but $250 is pretty steep. I mean, if I had the cash I'd totally buy it, but clearance purchases have eaten up pretty much my whole LEGO budget.

I mean, if I had one, instead of impulse-buying everything. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I personally am holding out to blow my wad on Benny's spaceship, which someone in here suggested will be availablr next month.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I have it in my shopping cart and can't decide whether to pull the trigger or not. I've promised myself one big expensive set this year and right now I want this, but I can't help feeling that a year from now I'll be regretting I didn't get the Parisian Restaraunt (which I think if gorgeous) or the big X-Wing (which is more iconic and timeless) instead. I just wonder if I'm caught up in the hype for the movie.

It's actually a fairly good price in the UK. Not sure why. Some sort of interntational licensing thing I guess.

Simpsons House is $200 US and £179
Sea Cow is $250 US and £169

:iiam:

And yeah, my kid really wants the couch. I was talking to him about whether or not I should get it.

Me: It's pretty expensive, almost two hundred pounds.
Him: I'll tell you what. I'll pay half (he's 6 by the way)
Me: Yeah, that's a hundred pounds. Do you have a hundred pounds?
Him: I'll tell you what. I'll give you ten pounds out of my birthday money for the couch.

He wants me to get the Town Hall though because he likes the people getting married. As far as display models go I think it's pretty ugly compared to the other modulars so he's gonna be disappointed there. I have added the little wedding set to my basket for him though.

Benny's Spaceship is a must buy for me as well, just for the classic space nostalgia. I've heard March too. Possibly two weeks from now when Sea Cow goes off VIP only which would be the 3rd.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 17, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gravy Jones posted:

Me: It's pretty expensive, almost two hundred pounds.
Him: I'll tell you what. I'll pay half (he's 6 by the way)
Me: Yeah, that's a hundred pounds. Do you have a hundred pounds?
Him: I'll tell you what. I'll give you ten pounds out of my birthday money for the couch.

That's great. Even if you don't buy the set, you should bricklink the parts for the couch for him.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

Personal favorite detail is the seasick Unikitty, but $250 is pretty steep. I mean, if I had the cash I'd totally buy it, but clearance purchases have eaten up pretty much my whole LEGO budget.

I mean, if I had one, instead of impulse-buying everything. :(

I'm not really into pirates stuff so not really interested in the Sea Cow but for the number of pieces $250 is not that bad. Any reasonable person knew it was going to be in that range once the number of pieces was revealed.

I ended up skipping the clearance stuff since Benny's Spaceship is supposed to be released in March and that's going to be in the $100+/- range.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

It's a shame that Artic Exploration mobile base has a truck with normal wheels, rather than treads. Still gonna get it probably, or maybe just that smaller set with treads.

I also went to see the Lego Movie this weekend, great film. So many fun little things and references, needs another viewing. A bit ironic though, how the whole start of the film is a satire on fitting in through consumerism while the movies itself is one big product placement.

This may not be the right place to ask, but has anyone tried the videogame based on the movie? I seems that game, unlike the other Lego games, only allow minifigs to articulate 'realistically'.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

This may not be the right place to ask, but has anyone tried the videogame based on the movie? I seems that game, unlike the other Lego games, only allow minifigs to articulate 'realistically'.

We're playing it at the moment. It's OK, and a lot of fun in conjuntion with the movie. It's almost like it's got about half the film in cut scenes. It will be interesting to see what they do at the end.

It's a similar format to the other games. Characters with unique abilities. Levels that you'll have to replay to get everything and, in this case, hub worlds with more extras and hidden stuff. That said it's not on the same scale as Lord of the Rings, Marvel or Lego City Undercover in terms of the world and what you can do. Visually it is, but the story mode is a lot shorter, there isn't nearly as much extras and places to explore. I think we'll be done with it within a week or two... and we're still playing LoTR, Marvel and LCU.

It's pretty funny in places. I've been laughing at a lot of the extra dialogue, which stays true to the spirit of the film. Oh, and Unikitty is amazing in it.

I hadn't noticed the realistic articulation thing, but you may be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I was curious how they would handle it as well, because that whole sequence would either be too long a cutscene or introduce some very weird gameplay. I think they handled it fine, I won't spoil it just in case.