Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Toronto condo market is about to get fuuuuuuuucked

https://twitter.com/ac_eco/status/435204680965029888/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Holy gently caress. From an internal TD presentation, no less.

I'm going to go on record: there's no way the banks will be materially affected by a housing downturn/crash, no matter how bad it gets. They are too smart. The taxpayer will be left holding the bag - I can feel it in my bones.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

I'm going to go on record: there's no way the banks will be materially affected by a housing downturn/crash, no matter how bad it gets. They are too smart. The taxpayer will be left holding the bag - I can feel it in my bones.

Just look at the US system for a classic example of moral hazard, on bright side is the banks and CMHC have better rainy day funds if something bad happens, while US leviathans like Goldman Sachs were over leveraged 32:1.

It's interesting how in the graph you see the number of new units spiking in 2014/2015 with ~70,000 total while it drops off greatly after those years.

I guess guess smart money bailed out a few years before perhaps leaving only the most gullible investor behind to hold the bag in 2014/2015.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 17, 2014

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Lexicon posted:

It doesn't take any intuition to know that. :)

Just watch for CHMC to start acting squirly.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

I thought the way this is supposed to work is that the CMHC has worked out the accounting so that all the money being paid is supposed to cover all of the (potential) defaults. Have I completely misunderstood the premise of the CMHC?

I hate the idea of 30 thousandaires living up their baller lifestyles more than anyone else but in actual fact, this is all supposed to be firewalled from the taxpayer, isn't it? (no sarcasm)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

I thought the way this is supposed to work is that the CMHC has worked out the accounting so that all the money being paid is supposed to cover all of the (potential) defaults. Have I completely misunderstood the premise of the CMHC?

I hate the idea of 30 thousandaires living up their baller lifestyles more than anyone else but in actual fact, this is all supposed to be firewalled from the taxpayer, isn't it? (no sarcasm)

It's basically a 500 billion insurance fund and also was changed fairly recently to not provide insurance for things such as HELOCs.

On side note Canada didn't get through the 2008 recession unscathed, there was a secret bailout in 2008. The government bailed out the main banks to the tune of $114 billion dollars:
https://www.policyalternatives.ca/newsroom/updates/study-reveals-secret-canadian-bank-bailout

Basically all the spin about the banks not needing help in a crisis is spin as shown by the above rescue package.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

etalian posted:

Just look at the US system for a classic example of moral hazard, on bright side is the banks and CMHC have better rainy day funds if something bad happens, while US leviathans like Goldman Sachs were over leveraged 32:1.

It's interesting how in the graph you see the number of new units spiking in 2014/2015 with ~70,000 total while it drops off greatly after those years.

I guess guess smart money bailed out a few years before perhaps leaving only the most gullible investor behind to hold the bag in 2014/2015.

While I agree that it looks scary on its face, this is honestly hard to interpret without comparison to previous years' versions of the forward looking charts. For example, if the market has historically reported expectations of builds well above actual builds, then this doesn't mean that much. It's actually very common for industries like this to look potentially oversupplied but not actually become so. For example, in the mining sector, if you looked at copper mine supply forecasts in say 2008, you might have reasonably concluded that copper would become oversupplied on the basis of in construction + planned projects through 2013. However, the changing economic situation as well as the vagaries of large project construction resulted in a huge number of these projects being deferred or cancelled and we continue to be in a relatively balanced market.

E: the dramatic decline is also not surprising given the construction cycle for a condo. If they only take 2-3 years to build, there's no reason to expect visibility on 2018 builds yet.

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

You are misinterpreting the chart. It's the number of units scheduled to be completed, not projected to be completed.

Edit:

Kalenn Istarion posted:

E: the dramatic decline is also not surprising given the construction cycle for a condo. If they only take 2-3 years to build, there's no reason to expect visibility on 2018 builds yet.

Exactly.

Linkletter fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 17, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Linkletter posted:

You are misinterpreting the chart. It's the number of units scheduled to be completed, not projected to be completed.

Yup basically 75,000 new condo units to be completed in the 2014-2015 timeframe,

I wish we had a similar nice graph for the Vancouver market.

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

etalian posted:

Yup basically 75,000 new condo units to be completed in the 2014-2015 timeframe,

Correct. So what this means is that the sudden decline after 2015 has to do with construction timelines, not any drastic change being predicted. There just aren't a lot of 2018 condos formally scheduled for completion yet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Linkletter posted:

Correct. So what this means is that the sudden decline after 2015 has to do with construction timelines, not any drastic change being predicted. There just aren't a lot of 2018 condos formally scheduled for completion yet.

Still multi-story Condos have roughly 2-4 year lead time once they get going which says something about the market.

On the bright side who's looking forward to buying some reasonably priced Canadian REITs?

etalian fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 17, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Linkletter posted:

Edit:

Exactly.

No, I'm not misinterpreting. A schedule is a projection. Invariably, some of the units scheduled for 2014/2015 will be deferred or cancelled. Without knowing the historical rate of this happening (ie, does the scheduled number always come in significantly higher than actual builds in a year), the scheduled builds for 2014 vs actual for 2013 is a less meaningful comparison.

Looking back to copper mine builds (numbers are made up because I can't be arsed to dig up the specifics right now), in 2008 the scheduled 2009 builds were 10 million tons of new capacity. Actual capacity built in 2009 was 8 million tons. In 2009, scheduled builds for 2010 were 11 million tons, including deferred 2009 builds, while actual builds in 2010 came in at 8.5 million tons, and so on. My point is that in markets like this with large, long gestation projects, a build can be sped up or more commonly slowed down while in progress should the builder need to respond to market conditions. Without knowing the historical propensity of condo builders to over-estimate their build completion rates, it's hard to conclude that the chart is bad, only that the forecast for this year is higher than historical actuals... Which might be perfectly normal. Hopefully that makes sense.

E: I guess what I'm saying is that chart would be much more meaningful if it showed a given year's scheduled builds, as of the prior year, in a dashed box above the actuals.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 17, 2014

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

A schedule is a projection.

No, it is not. A projection is partially based on scheduled numbers, but the similarity ends there.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Linkletter posted:

No, it is not. A projection is partially based on scheduled numbers, but the similarity ends there.

I could argue this further, but I won't as it's not relevant to the thread. Definition aside, my point about comparison of the numbers stands.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

Firewalling the average person is a nice thought, but ultimately very difficult. When something that takes up a significant percentage of your GDP goes up in flames the spillover effects are massive, you need to retrain people to other industries, deal with the direct costs of building overpriced units and so on. Even psychology changes- when something so many people were "certain" of changes, it causes a massive downturn in demand in all industries, which of course is real bad in consumer-based economies. Also, easy credit allows people to go into debt, so the current economic stimulation from people spending doesn't actually represent something that is sustainable.

It might not be all bad though, comparisons to the US crash are difficult to make because it doesn't look like Canada allows for the more dangerous types of mortgages like option ARMs and cash- out refis.* Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that point, but those are the types that cause downswings to become a lot bigger than they need to be- it allows people to "realize" their paper profits and spend it- then when the crash comes there's no way to get the money back because it really didn't even exist in the first place (can't bleed a stone).

*or they just aren't that common

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh I'm not taking into account 2nd and 3rd order effects. This is simply mortgage accounting I'm talking about. However I agree with you.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enbot posted:

Firewalling the average person is a nice thought, but ultimately very difficult. When something that takes up a significant percentage of your GDP goes up in flames the spillover effects are massive, you need to retrain people to other industries, deal with the direct costs of building overpriced units and so on. Even psychology changes- when something so many people were "certain" of changes, it causes a massive downturn in demand in all industries, which of course is real bad in consumer-based economies. Also, easy credit allows people to go into debt, so the current economic stimulation from people spending doesn't actually represent something that is sustainable.

There are others details too such as the CMHC deciding fairly recently to not cover HELOCs and looking at debt levels people are pretty much using their houses as piggy banks similar to the US bubble.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/Publications/PeriodicalsReleases.aspx

I was just reading the report on CPI for BC. It's essentially 0. I'm getting a humungous hard on for the impending lost decade of BC deflation.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

etalian posted:

There are others details too such as the CMHC deciding fairly recently to not cover HELOCs and looking at debt levels people are pretty much using their houses as piggy banks similar to the US bubble.

How are they doing so though? Like I said the main mechanisms in the US were the huge numbers of option arms (which allow you to roll the principal payments into the loan (thus your loan actually increases every year) or cashing out in a refinance, or HELOCs (thank you- forgot to mention them). But they don't seem to be present in canada as much- are these just done by private banks and there aren't good numbers on them? Are there any charts similar to this:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Pixelboy posted:

It doesn't take any intuition to know that. :)

Just watch for CHMC to start acting squirly.

Yeah, agreed. I only make the claim because there has been talk in months past in this thread that the banks would blow up when the crash eventually comes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Yeah, agreed. I only make the claim because there has been talk in months past in this thread that the banks would blow up when the crash eventually comes.

I don't get that. The CMHC, if anything, has been complicit in setting up this disaster out of profit motive. Why would they care at this point? They don't give a poo poo about the taxpayer.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

enbot posted:

How are they doing so though? Like I said the main mechanisms in the US were the huge numbers of option arms (which allow you to roll the principal payments into the loan (thus your loan actually increases every year) or cashing out in a refinance, or HELOCs (thank you- forgot to mention them). But they don't seem to be present in canada as much- are these just done by private banks and there aren't good numbers on them? Are there any charts similar to this:

I think the Canadian equivalent to some of those would be the flexible mortgages that have payment holiday options in them.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I don't get that. The CMHC, if anything, has been complicit in setting up this disaster out of profit motive. Why would they care at this point? They don't give a poo poo about the taxpayer.

Can you rephrase your point? I don't think you're refuting what I'm saying, but I don't quite get what your point is.

(I agree the CMHC is complicit, but not out of profit motive - rather out of incompetence and organizational scope creep).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ocrumsprug posted:

I think the Canadian equivalent to some of those would be the flexible mortgages that have payment holiday options in them.

It's a good job the people taking these "payment holidays" couldn't do an NPV calculation if their life depended on it. A very costly decision.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Cash-out refinancings are very doable in Canada. All you need is an appraisal showing the new value of the home and a willingness to (at least threaten to) go to a new bank. Banks continue to have a hard-on for adding mortgages to their balance sheet. Spreads for them are not bad right now in spite of the low mortgage rates on offer. I'm not suggesting that this is a thing that people should do as an individual, but it is possible to do.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Can you rephrase your point? I don't think you're refuting what I'm saying, but I don't quite get what your point is.

(I agree the CMHC is complicit, but not out of profit motive - rather out of incompetence and organizational scope creep).

That's what I mean. Somehow the CMHC board warped itself into insuring garbage out of profit motive.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That's what I mean. Somehow the CMHC board warped itself into insuring garbage out of profit motive.

The mortgage racket is a really great business until the whole thing comes crashing down.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's been discussed in this thread before but I'm suffering enormous angst about how the CMHC does what it does. Imagine if BC MSP suddenly acted for-profit? What in loving gently caress

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

It's been discussed in this thread before but I'm suffering enormous angst about how the CMHC does what it does. Imagine if BC MSP suddenly acted for-profit? What in loving gently caress

It seems possible to me that a government-run insurance scheme could be both profitable and socially-useful, or at least not socially-harmful. Although I'm not a fan of ICBC, I think it fits that definition.

Same with CMHC - if it were properly pricing its risks, it could still be profitable to its owner (the government), useful to the banks as a hedging mechanism, and not a massive driver of moral hazard.

With CMHC in place and functioning correctly by sound underwriting principles, a Canadian bank's willingness to offer a mortgage with a 19% down payment through 21% should be roughly a continuous function of the down payment. The fact that there is a massive discontinuity implies a huge consumer surplus to the bank in the value of that insurance => underpriced risk.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

etalian posted:

It's basically a 500 billion insurance fund and also was changed fairly recently to not provide insurance for things such as HELOCs.

On side note Canada didn't get through the 2008 recession unscathed, there was a secret bailout in 2008. The government bailed out the main banks to the tune of $114 billion dollars:
https://www.policyalternatives.ca/newsroom/updates/study-reveals-secret-canadian-bank-bailout

Basically all the spin about the banks not needing help in a crisis is spin as shown by the above rescue package.
This has been posted and debunked a hundred times here. There wasn't any government bailout. Providing liquidity is fundamentally different from what happened in the United States. If it hadn't happened, the banks would have been just fine. You wouldn't have been able to get a new credit card or mortgage for quite a while, though.

Edit: Also it wasn't secret.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 18, 2014

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
A realtor friend of mine just posted this on FB:

http://www.timescolonist.com/sale-of-david-foster-s-5m-victoria-penthouse-would-set-new-record-1.856558#story-carousel

"Out of town investors" are snapping up Victoria's prime real estate!!! Buy now before you get priced out of the market!!!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/h...?service=mobile

Globe story about millenials buying poo poo they can't afford. Love the anecdote about the guy with a house who has to rent out 4 bedrooms to make ends meet. Dumb gently caress.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Globe story about millenials buying poo poo they can't afford. Love the anecdote about the guy with a house who has to rent out 4 bedrooms to make ends meet. Dumb gently caress.

I was going to post this yesterday, but after reading it I decided it was so retarded that it wasn't worth wasting a forum post on.

Does anyone else subscribe to the Landquest Realty newsletter? I find rural BC properties to be a good barometer overall in the province, and this month saw a massive correction in the market. Top end lost an average of $250k and even low end properties dropped by $10K-ish.

One massive development in particular, 350 acres on Bowen Island, had the developer throw in the towel and put it on the market. Originally at $5.9M, dropped to $4.8M now. Seems small, but that's a fuckoff huge drop in price for what's essentially a Vancouver suburb.

Rime fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 18, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

One could quadruple one's money in five years and I still wouldn't be interested in living like that. Imagine packing your 4 bedrooms with 4 strangers - a huge sacrifice at the altar of almighty Vancouver real estate. It is madness on a cultural scale that he can admit to this and barely anyone blinks an eye that this is a normal way to function.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

One could quadruple one's money in five years and I still wouldn't be interested in living like that. Imagine packing your 4 bedrooms with 4 strangers - a huge sacrifice at the altar of almighty Vancouver real estate. It is madness on a cultural scale that he can admit to this and barely anyone blinks an eye that this is a normal way to function.

I bet you Realtors love these stories precisely because they normalize idiotic behaviour like this. Shared mortgages also come to mind.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I bet you Realtors love these stories precisely because they normalize idiotic behaviour like this. Shared mortgages also come to mind.

Totally. I can't even describe the lengths to which I would go to avoid doing either of those things: I'd cram myself into an apartment, rent forever, hell, emigrate if need be.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2535685

Retailers catering to the middle class are packing up and out. That's because we all can't afford anything and shop at the dollar store or we pretend to be rich and pay for poo poo worth credit.

quote:

And in a phenomenon that sociologists and economists have been observing for years, he says watching rich people spend was contagious. Even though he no longer works in retail, Era says the people of his generation – ages 25 to 35 – are desperate for status and living on debt, and do not want to identify as "Sears people."

"It's either you want to live above and beyond your means, or you really absolutely cannot and so you really have to shop at stores like Wal-Mart," says Era.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2535685

Retailers catering to the middle class are packing up and out. That's because we all can't afford anything and shop at the dollar store or we pretend to be rich and pay for poo poo worth credit.

This article is bullshit. While the underlying dynamics might be concurrently true - I'd hardly hold up Sears and Eatons as paragons of successful, competent retailing. There are tons of retailers that are solidly middle-class that are absolutely thriving.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think things like department stores are closing up because they're essentially useless in this day and age. They don't hold enough stock that you can comfortably be assured the thing you want will actually be available, they rarely have competent, well-trained salespeople who know the products they're dealing with, and they are large and inconvenient to navigate. You're going to end up paying the same (or lower) prices at a retailer that specializes in whatever it is you want to buy, and you'll be a lot happier with the shopping experience.

Unless of course you already know exactly what you want, in which case you might as well just order it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They could also just be terribly run businesses.