Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Yeah, Ranger mode is glass cannon mode; the bullet sponge enemies only exist in the non-Ranger difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
e: Beaten, but I will add that the difficulty levels are weird as hell and depending on how good you are at various aspects of playing first person shooters, easier difficulties can be more difficult than the hardest difficulties. I would suggest trying out Ranger Hardcore as goons suggest and adjusting things from there if you're finding the game either too hard or too easy.

Robocop Horney fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 16, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm doing a let's play of this game if anyone wants to see a noob get scared of everything

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3588038

I 'm not very far in the game but it's beena really long time since a game's graphics impressed me

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 24, 2013

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
Hopefully someone can help me here; I'd like to play through Metro 2033 with an Xbox controller, but all the default control schemes suck. Is there any way to customize it more than just picking one of the defaults? Does Last Light have this same problem?

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Would anyone mind sharing a Ranger Mode save game file? Mine got messed up and I really don't want to replay a bunch of hours. :(
I was on the Bandits level I think.

If you have the ranger mode DLC you can just zip up your "C:\Users\YOUNAME\Documents\4A Games\Metro LL" folder.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I would, but I just overwrote my save for the umpteenth time.

One of these days I'll do a Shadow Ranger run without killing anyone.

One of these days, I'll remember that the duplet does not have ironsights on the right mouse button while idly trying to zoom in on an enemy during a long conversation.

One of these days....

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished this yesterday. Game looks sweet and is as enjoyable as 2033 or Stalker games for me. But I thought the stealth was just too easy and boring so I just used it to soften up the enemies before blasting them away. No good ending for me, but whatever, I died like a hero in a blaze of glory, none of this ET-save mebullshit :colbert:. A few sections were a bit annoying/not fun and the ending wave defense was a bit disappointing but overall, it was pretty great fun and made me all :gbsmith: that something nice came out from the motherland again.

Too bad you can only carry 3 weapons, while the AK and Saiga are basically the only ones you'll ever need, I missed out on some variety since my guns were tricked out with the drum mags and scopes so picking up random crap didn't feel like an improvement enough to drop them. Also the sniper rifles are useless, I carried around the big-rear end one in the last couple of levels but it was kind of pointless :(

A couple of questions:
How can you save Pavel? in the red square level? I tried to approach him but nothing happened, he died and the dark one said he understands that he can't be forgiven or something like that.

Did anyone play this with a GTX 650 Ti Boost? Supposedly it should be able to handle PhysX fine but if I enable it, the FPS take a poo poo and drop to single digits. Like, the second half of the benchmark averages 8fps instead of 30.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah, you're generally gonna want a dedicated physx card for games that have it (but don't, because while it's a neat gimmick it's not remotely worth it).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

mobby_6kl posted:

How can you save Pavel? in the red square level? I tried to approach him but nothing happened, he died and the dark one said he understands that he can't be forgiven or something like that.

Hit the "Save Pavel" prompt.

Also, this is the first game I played (I'm sure people are going to provide further examples) that allows you to stick the same weapon in several different slots, and that's kinda awesome. So if you feel that you don't need anything besides the Saiga, just carry 2 to save on reloads.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

hopterque posted:

Yeah, you're generally gonna want a dedicated physx card for games that have it (but don't, because while it's a neat gimmick it's not remotely worth it).

Untrue, for a good card physx is not that demanding. A 650 boost is not that great unfortunately.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
omg I hosed myself so badly because I am an idiot. In the church I sold everything I had to buy the fancy new gun that was available even though I couldn't afford ammo for it, I don't know why I did this but now I am really screwed. In the catacombs I have managed to get up the water wheel elevator by using my knife (and the like 3 ammo on the body near the elevator) but I am getting completely stomped by the big dude that collapses the bridge, hes not really something I can fight with a knife. Is there a trick to when to attack him?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I ran out of ammo in Ranger Hardcore mode (which is something that happened often) and had to knife that same guy to death. It sucked but it is a thing that can be done, just keep at it until he dies.

EDIT: I might have worn him down with bullets a little, I can't remember, but I DID finish him with a knife. It sucks because you don't get any real feedback that you're doing any real damage so it feels like it takes forever for anything big to die.

Roman fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 3, 2014

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Roman posted:

I ran out of ammo in Ranger Hardcore mode (which is something that happened often) and had to knife that same guy to death. It sucked but it is a thing that can be done, just keep at it until he dies.

EDIT: I might have worn him down with bullets a little, I can't remember, but I DID finish him with a knife.

hah, thanks. I will keep at it then. I am starting the fight with 0 bullets but I think I am going to turn the game down to easy until I get past this point. Thanks for letting me know it can be done.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It takes damage from running into the destroyable stuff. If it's destroyed everything it usually dies from just a few bullets, so I'm sure you could knife it like that.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is the DLC for this game any good? I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Mister Bates posted:

Is the DLC for this game any good? I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Generally speaking, I'd say no. I picked up the season pass because damned if I don't like 4A as a studio, but objectively speaking, the DLC is pretty weak.

That said, the Faction Pack is probably worth it for the Library mini-game and the Chronicles Pack is probably worth it if you want to know more about the stories of Khan/Pavel/Anna. Skip the rest.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Question - do you guys find multiple monitors actually detracts from the immersion of games like this?

I'm playing with a dual monitor setup and my second monitor having netflix blaring or even just a wallpaper pulls me out of the experience. I'm going to try turning it off so it's a black screen to see if it helps.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I really enjoy this game, but I can no longer play it at any kind of decent fps with my measly HD5540 to replace my dead hd4890 :\

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
For the longest time a multimonitor setup screwed my Metro game and forced it to be 1440x960, even without the second monitor being turned on, or made active in Windows.

To be honest, I don't think I could enjoy Metro in anything less than pure black room, headphones and a nice drink. Several times I had to quit the game due to a roommate playing minecraft in the same room.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Scyron posted:

For the longest time a multimonitor setup screwed my Metro game and forced it to be 1440x960, even without the second monitor being turned on, or made active in Windows.

To be honest, I don't think I could enjoy Metro in anything less than pure black room, headphones and a nice drink. Several times I had to quit the game due to a roommate playing minecraft in the same room.

Headphones - that's one thing I'm missing! Will have to slap some headphones on for this game.

I have to say, I picked it up on steam sale very cautiously because I didn't care for Metro 2033 that much. (The combat, pacing, everything was really off in 2033 and I didn't complete it).

I've enjoyed this game much, much more though. Not only does it look a lot better but it simply plays better too. It has better pacing, a better UI, and I really dig the throwing knives.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I felt that the two were essentially identical in terms of atmosphere, gameplay, narrative, and pacing.

(i.e. incredible, good, bad, terrible)

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
It felt more of the same for me too. Which I loved!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm about five or six hours into the game, just got to the bridge and now I'm having a strange technical issue.

There's a part where you go up a set of escalators, clear out some monsters and eventually come to a small room at the end of the path. As soon as I walk into that room, the game crashes to the desktop, with no error message or anything. When I try to restart the game, it asks if I want to restart in safe mode.

Until now I haven't had a single issue with this game; it was running great on my i3 3225/HD7850 with 8gb of RAM setup. It's the exact same spot every time, so I guess something in that room is making my computer freak out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Switching to DX9 seemed to work for the time being.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 16, 2014

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Roman posted:

EDIT: I might have worn him down with bullets a little, I can't remember, but I DID finish him with a knife. It sucks because you don't get any real feedback that you're doing any real damage so it feels like it takes forever for anything big to die.

I discovered you can't kill the dude in the first room. You have to make him knock down all the pillars and move to the second room. I made him knock down all the pillars there too. After that a single shot killed him.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If anyone's still playing this and wants to complete the Tower DLC, there's an incredible video guide out there showing you what do to so you don't get your rear end handed to you. It's for Ranger Hardcore, but I've been using it with Normal difficulty with no problems. You might want to swap out the Ashot with something else in Floor 3 if you're playing Normal or Easy, but otherwise his weapon suggestions are nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqLIDBd0JZg

It's a goddamn lifesaver because it shows you how to cheese the AI with ease.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Playing again but on Easy vanilla, due to PSN+ giveaway and I'm just running around punching people out. I think I've fired 4 shots at lightbulbs only.

This is clearly a different game and pretty fun, given my health is so absurdly high. I'm also using the revolver silence and revolver with a scope as my only weapons, just to see if it is possible.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 9, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
On Ranger difficulty this game becomes a knife-throwing simulator since the whole knives bouncing off equipment mechanic is gone.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Scyron posted:

Playing again but on Easy vanilla, due to PSN+ giveaway and I'm just running around punching people out. I think I've fired 4 shots at lightbulbs only.

This is clearly a different game and pretty fun, given my health is so absurdly high. I'm also using the revolver silence and revolver with a scope as my only weapons, just to see if it is possible.

You will need high magazine capacity weapons as a back up once they start throwing bullet sponge monsters at you. Human parts you can ghost or ko stab people all you want.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Party Plane Jones posted:

On Ranger difficulty this game becomes a knife-throwing simulator since the whole knives bouncing off equipment mechanic is gone.

Well, or sneaking around and knocking people out, which is even easier than that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the guns feel so good in this game that I always just go loud with the bolt-action rifle even though there isn't really any use for it

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

Well, or sneaking around and knocking people out, which is even easier than that

Yeah, but walking into a room and tossing 5 knives like a maniac before an alarm can be raised is good fun.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

the guns feel so good in this game that I always just go loud with the bolt-action rifle even though there isn't really any use for it

The devs did a fantastic job with the shotguns in this game. The Ashot is surprisingly powerful and fun to use, the Duplet feels a lot more powerful than it did in Metro 2033 and has a kickass four barrel upgrade, the Shamber is a fun and fresh take on the semi-auto shotgun, and the Azbats is incredibly badass and easily one of my favorite FPS shotguns of all time. The rifles are fun too, but unloading on some fucker with the Shambler or Abzats is something else.

The devs should seriously make a fast-paced FPS based on shotgun swing shots, ala Doom 2. They have the chops to make shotgun charging extremely fun.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
So I beat the game and dang the last act was underwhelming (D6 defense). I also ran up against the ranger ammo count limit way too often, which is pretty annoying, especially just having played Metro 2033 where I'd have enough ammo to sink a ship. By the end of the game I was practically swimming in MGR but couldn't really use it to buy anything since my guns were already upgraded. Then again, the only time I really used tons and tons of ammo was fighting monsters, not humans, since you can just knife all the humans anyways.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 16, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

So I beat the game and dang the last act was underwhelming (D6 defense). I also ran up against the ranger ammo count limit way too often, which is pretty annoying, especially just having played Metro 2033 where I'd have enough ammo to sink a ship. By the end of the game I was practically swimming in MGR but couldn't really use it to buy anything since my guns were already upgraded. Then again, the only time I really used tons and tons of ammo was fighting monsters, not humans, since you can just knife all the humans anyways.

One of my complaints with the game is that money doesn't seem very useful. You can get much better gear from scavenging than from purchasing, and the ammo caps means you can't blow all of your money like you can in Metro 2033. It's good that you can get another use out of it by shooting it, but it doesn't solve the basic problems with stuff on the ground being better. The only thing money feels useful for is rounding out your ammo and refreshing whatever throwable items you need.

Granted, this was also a problem in Metro 2033, but at least you could go buy like 500 shotgun shells with the huge money surplus you could get, then grab a Abzats and go nuts.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
The knife throwing is really stupid. Like you chuck a knife from pretty far away and it hits a guy in the leg and he just dies instantly without making any noise, and then you get your knife back. Metro is an immersive series and that's dumb as hell even just from a game perspective because it's so easy to kill everyone without making any sound or losing bullets.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

to those of you having a lot of money on hand: grab 2/3 assault rifles, switch all of them to military rounds, go nuts. Switching on some weapons is a lot faster than reloading -> :getin:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

The knife throwing is really stupid. Like you chuck a knife from pretty far away and it hits a guy in the leg and he just dies instantly without making any noise, and then you get your knife back. Metro is an immersive series and that's dumb as hell even just from a game perspective because it's so easy to kill everyone without making any sound or losing bullets.

I wish there were more ways to kill people with stealth instead of either using the knife takedowns or the throwing knife on them. Suppressed weapons alert everyone if you don't land a headshot, so you're better off using the throwing knife.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

closeted republican posted:

I wish there were more ways to kill people with stealth instead of either using the knife takedowns or the throwing knife on them. Suppressed weapons alert everyone if you don't land a headshot, so you're better off using the throwing knife.
Yeah, I think the stealth is fairly well done otherwise. It's just goofy when you perfectly one hit kill a guy wearing heavy body armor that can stop bullets but knives go right through it. Artyom must have a hell of a pitching arm

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

closeted republican posted:

It was fun in Metro 2033 when you had a suppressed weapon because even suppressed people would go around saying "What the hell was that?" if you shot it near them. That's gone in Last Light. It was one of the only reasons for using the pneumatic weapons over guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I recently 100%ed the DLC levels, so I figured I'd make a quick list of the best to worst DLC in my experience.

1. Stalker level
2. Pavel
3. Spider Nest
4. Khan
5. Developer's pack
6. Reich
7. Anna
8. Red
9. Tower

Generally, if you can get only one DLC, I'd get the Chronicles pack. It has two awesome levels and a good one. The Faction pack has the awesome Stalker level, but the annoying Red level and the udnerwhelming (but still fun) Reich level drag the Faction pack down. I would've rated the Red mission a lot more if it didn't have the idiotic "game over if you're caught" mechanic that should've disappeared in the early 2000s.

Tower sucks and should be avoided unless you wan to 100% the game's achievements. The Developer Pack is much better for shooting dudes without having to worry about the morality system because it gives you every gun right off the bat for free and it doesn't have bullshit Nosailes.

• Locked thread