Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Sky Priority is sort of useful. I would pay say, $100 for FlyingBlue silver. But if you're only doing ten segments a year, why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The usefulness of status is proportional to how much you fly; if you have to go out of your way to hit status... It kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm not talking about throwing in an extra segment here or there or doing a mileage run to hit ultra mega gold instead of just ultra gold or whatever, but if you have to double how many planes you're taking, you're going to hit diminishing returns really fast.

Plus every time you transfer, you increase the chance of your luggage getting lost, which for some reason pisses me off five times as much when it's personnal travel.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

PkerUNO posted:

Considering Flying Blue's Silver tier is only 15 sectors a year, I reckon I have a good shot of hitting it. A far cry from anything anyone else in this thread has been doing but hey, it's a start! So my question: is Flying Blue Silver actually worth anything or is it more a case of "Gold or go home"?

The only time it matters for me is on early morning flights home with checked luggage so you can skip the line at the check-in desk (Sky Priority). If that doesn't happen for you I don't see the point in trying for status, just get the cheapest flights and wait 5 minutes before boarding. The plane's not leaving anyway.

On Paris - Amsterdam flights with KLM or Air France I think 50% have Silver or better status, there's no point at all.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

I was there 5 weeks ago, this couldn't be more incorrect. With or without express immigration it took 5 minutes. Exiting took even less. The worst part was the women's taxi (not misogynistic, just the worst taxi experience I've ever had by a mile. She couldn't find the burj khalifa, it's the tallest thing in the desert. )

OK. I'm just going by my good friend's account of entering at Dubai, but he could have entered on a business visa. I've never tried it myself.

sellouts posted:

Also if it's bedtime in your head is it the best idea to sleep? Won't that prolong your jet lag?

I won't get a full night's sleep, plus the people I'm seeing have a tendency to stay up so much longer than I usually do that it almost compensates for the time difference. :)

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

FrozenVent posted:

The usefulness of status is proportional to how much you fly; if you have to go out of your way to hit status... It kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm not talking about throwing in an extra segment here or there or doing a mileage run to hit ultra mega gold instead of just ultra gold or whatever, but if you have to double how many planes you're taking, you're going to hit diminishing returns really fast.

Plus every time you transfer, you increase the chance of your luggage getting lost, which for some reason pisses me off five times as much when it's personnal travel.

Yeah, I suspected as much. I'm not considering spending much more than like £10 per flight (plus I really like Schiphol airport), but I get that these schemes are really set up for business and super-frequent travellers. If I get Silver naturally, great, but I definitely won't be going majorly out of my way for what would be a minor upgrade.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608898

Good luck expensing it, but here are some cheapo passes if people want them. I don't have any long layovers coming up but if you do consider it. If your company doesn't let you expense booze, this might be good for you.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ventured in here to educate myself, but this thread reads like it's partially in a different language.

I'm most likely going to take a job with a massive US-based tech company, and I'm looking at about 25% (mostly domestic) travel. There's one thing I'd like to figure out as soon as I get started -- a way to get more legroom on my flights, because flying coach when you're 6'4" is borderline punishment. Forget business class, I'll be happy with the emergency exit row. This would be the first time I travel for work and I imagine most of it will be managed through the corporate travel dept. That probably means my ability to manipulate the logistics for upgrades is limited, right? Am I looking at paying for seat upgrades out of my own pocket?

Odds are that the answer will be "depends on your company's travel/expense policy." Thought I'd ask in case anyone has experience with the lower-end of business travel, both volume- and perk-wise.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Depends on your company's travel policy. In my experience, it's unlikely that you'll get anyone to spring for premium economy for domestic travel, but what do I know.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
When in doubt, ask. Let your boss know that you'd love to take the job but because you are 6'4" traveling economy is a concern for you and would the company be willing to pay for the upgrade. Since you only travel 25%, they will probably tell you to suck it up. But if they really want you, they may be willing to make an exception.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Most freaky flyer programs will give you freebie upgrades to their greater legroom econ seats as soon as you get status so you won't have to suffer long. I find it's worth going out of pocket if I have to.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
As a 6'5" 70% traveler, my advice is this: suck it up and learn to confront people (nicely) who decide to recline their seats onto your knees. And good luck getting your company to pay for first/business class. Those days are over.

Also fly southwest when possible and get A list if you can. The middle exit row seat is available 90% of the time into the B boarding group

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was booking exit rows as a gold on AA. So basic status will likely work.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I've found that booking early also helps tremendously when getting exit rows. Even 4 weeks out vs 2 weeks seems to make a difference.

Also, consider getting bulkhead seats where possible. On certain planes, it's more legroom that first class, and some even have space under the (first class) seat in front of you.

I'm only 5'7" so I don't have all of the aircraft models memorized.

Finally, I have a tall co-worker who has found that saying "So, would you like a massage? Sorry, I'm <insert height>." gets the point across if delivered well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

I've found that booking early also helps tremendously when getting exit rows. Even 4 weeks out vs 2 weeks seems to make a difference.

Also check within 100 hours regularly. Lots of people that are upgraded come from those seats. And bulkheads can usually be held by the airline under airport control so asking for one at check in can be ok as long as you have status or are otherwise entitled to them.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If I didn't have status, I can get econ comfort upgrade through my company. It doesn't hurt to ask really.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you all for the responses. Sounds like my worst-case scenario is either sucking it up and hoping for short flights, or getting upgraded if/when I get status. Best-case... who knows. I don't think they're terribly shy about spending, but most likely not to give a mid-level clown like me a few extra inches of legroom. Still, if I don't ask, I'll never know.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Got a targeted offer for a 100K MR signup bonus after $3K spend in 3 months on the Platinum Amex. No brainer to go for it, even if the annual fee ($450) isn't waived, right?

Also, if anyone needs a pair of United Club passes, let me know. I'll match the price of the Admirals' Club passes for sale above.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Pissingintowind posted:

Got a targeted offer for a 100K MR signup bonus after $3K spend in 3 months on the Platinum Amex. No brainer to go for it, even if the annual fee ($450) isn't waived, right?

Also, if anyone needs a pair of United Club passes, let me know. I'll match the price of the Admirals' Club passes for sale above.

A few things:

1. Concierge service is pretty awesome. Good service probably worth whatever you want in terms of doing the work for you getting reservations to restaraunts.
2. Free GOES (Global Entry Enrollment System) fee - $100
3. $200 reimbursement on fees - for me, I sign up for Southwest and then sell the gift cards if I end up not using them. You just purchase gift cards and then you see this in your statement:

4. You get access to the Centurion Lounges, which is pretty cool. Nothing like the old benefit for Admiral Passes or what not, but its still pretty awesome.
5. Free membership into Priority Pass, which can be worth it if you're traveling a lot.

Aux benefit - you get to sometimes think you're kind of awesome since you have an Amex Plat card.

So really, $300 in benefits the first year, ~$1000 in points basically, and a few other cool benefits.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Sky Priority: for times when the security line is 4 times longer than it normally is on a Monday morning.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm DFW based and the Centurion lounge blows the Admiral's Club away. Hot food, free quality booze (craft beers, some decent whisky), fast wifi, and best of all, it's not very crowded. Well worth the detour to terminal D.

And I really haven't been impressed with any lounge accessed by the priority pass but I probably just need to know which airports have a good one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I spent about 45 minutes in security at Logan Terminal A this morning. I need precheck really badly and the TSA won't tell me why I don't get it. Global Entry here we come! Precheck line wait was still about 15 minutes though.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I spent about 45 minutes in security at Logan Terminal A this morning. I need precheck really badly and the TSA won't tell me why I don't get it. Global Entry here we come! Precheck line wait was still about 15 minutes though.

My last trip flying out of Boston, the place was just dead. My colleagues had pre check and I didnt. For some reason the pre line was longer and I got through quicker. The mysteries of the TSA.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My home airport finally got a precheck lane this week. I always defer the scatter machine so this morning when I got the three beeps and went through the metal detector instead the TSA guys gave me a round of applause. It's a small airport so they've been feeling me up a few times a month for years.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Pissingintowind posted:

Yes, 100k is worth it. Keep the card through next Jan so you get the $200 airline credit twice.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

air- posted:

And I really haven't been impressed with any lounge accessed by the priority pass but I probably just need to know which airports have a good one.
There aren't a lot of impressive lounges in the US in general, IMHO. That said, I thought "The Club at ATL" was pretty nice, though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I used to have Priority Pass as a benefit of one of my cards, but it only included two free lounge accesses and then you had to pay $25 or so. Did that change?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

smackfu posted:

I used to have Priority Pass as a benefit of one of my cards, but it only included two free lounge accesses and then you had to pay $25 or so. Did that change?

The Amex Platinum lets you have access to these lounges (as well as the Centurion ones):
http://www.prioritypass.com/Lounges/

I do like how when I walked into the LGA AC, there was a huge sign that said "The AA World Elite card is the only credit card that can be used to access the AC as of" (whatever date in March that it ends)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

smackfu posted:

It varies by credit card.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

There aren't a lot of impressive lounges in the US in general, IMHO. That said, I thought "The Club at ATL" was pretty nice, though.

The new Delta SkyClubs at JFK and ATL are really nice.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The new Delta SkyClubs at JFK and ATL are really nice.

The big ones, at least. There's a couple broom-closet ones that aren't terribly impressive.

I like the one at MIA more than either AAdmiral's Club here.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Boom! US platinum bitches!

Granted, with the merger I'm sure something bad is going to happen but for now . . .

Things are good.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Oh god the Delta regular booking line vs the platinum desk are night and day. Four hours on the phone trying to book ATL-LON-KUL-LON-ATL with stops at each destination to no avail. The rep, supervisor, or global ticketing desk couldn't figure out how to make an itinerary I found online to book.

Got home and called the number on the back of my card. 10 minutes giving flight details to the platinum desk and I get a call back an hour later ready to take my credit card details.

Now if I can just trick KLM into giving my whole family Economy Comfort instead of trying to charge for the non-PMs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The big ones, at least. There's a couple broom-closet ones that aren't terribly impressive.

I like the one at MIA more than either AAdmiral's Club here.

Oh yeah there's one in Terminal B that is awful. But the newly renovated ones are nice.

Also, RDU was running a pilot of new food options for SkyClubs when I dropped in earlier this week. Pretty decent sandwiches and some nice chocolates. Nice to know that the giant price increase at least has some benefits.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh yeah there's one in Terminal B that is awful. But the newly renovated ones are nice.

Also, RDU was running a pilot of new food options for SkyClubs when I dropped in earlier this week. Pretty decent sandwiches and some nice chocolates. Nice to know that the giant price increase at least has some benefits.

ATL A17 had the sammies a few minutes ago, DFW had hard-boiled eggs this morning, and MIA had waffles and survey cards (waffles were good, survey cards were disappointing and nearly inedible.)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dude, if you are in the lounges, you are doing it for the free drinks. It's like first class domestic. Sure, the extra legroom is nice and I like being able to work on my computer . . . but the drinks are the real reason.

The Delta lounge at LGA used to have a rocking deal on Johnny Walker scotches too. Is that still in effect? It's been a minute.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't mind the free drinks but I'm definitely doing it to get out of the raging hellhole that is the gate area.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah absolutely. The drinks are secondary for me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Anybody else get caught up in the weather this last week? I was on a short Monday-Thursday trip and ended up spending all day Monday in various airports and then all of Thursday and Friday jumping around places trying to get home. Ended up flying into an airport 2 hours from home and driving back, got home a day and a half later than planned.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Thoguh posted:

Anybody else get caught up in the weather this last week? I was on a short Monday-Thursday trip and ended up spending all day Monday in various airports and then all of Thursday and Friday jumping around places trying to get home. Ended up flying into an airport 2 hours from home and driving back, got home a day and a half later than planned.

Yeah, I got nailed the past two weeks. Got stuck in JFK once and had to stay in the city overnight (Oh no!!!) and this past week my flight from JFK to AUS was cancelled, so again I had to stay in the city overnight (Double oh no!!), so actually it's been great for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't know if there is a better city than NYC to be stuck in on someone else's dime.