Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

I don't think there's any way that Clowney is around at 4. I think St Louis either takes him or trades back with a team that wants him. I guess I just can't see the first 3 picks all being qbs, which is the only way Clowney falls to 4.

Why would St Louis take Clowney?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What's the prevailing thought on Taylor Lewan? I haven't looked at him over much because the prevailing storyline around him is a Michgan man's Incognito, which sounds just loving awful. Seems to project well as a zone scheme RT with the possilbity to grow into a proper LT. It all sounds so appealing but for the neanderthal shitbird part.

Are his personality issues perception or reality?

After his teammate was accused of raping a girl Lewan threatened to rape her as well if she didn't drop the charges. His character issues are very real.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Disillusionist posted:

The BPAest of BPA picks. They might need him the least of anyone but hell, I guess you can always use ridiculous pass rushers.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

NippleFloss posted:

After his teammate was accused of raping a girl Lewan threatened to rape her as well if she didn't drop the charges. His character issues are very real.

:stare: that's hosed up

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Disillusionist posted:

I don't think they're going to take a QB in the first because I don't think they're ready to part with Bradford given how much money they owe him, and the fact that none of the QBs this year look like they would be a definite upgrade. That leaves either Clowney, a trade back, or over-drafting a position of need. Given that Clowney is the best prospect to come out since Luck I think they just suck it up and live with an embarrassment of riches on the defensive line, assuming they don't make a trade. Besides, I know their line was good last year, but having a guy on the edge who is strong enough to get by the tackle and also fast enough to chase down Kapernick or Wilson would certainly be more useful than an over-drafted offensive lineman.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

NippleFloss posted:

I am afraid to ask. ... do you have the source for this?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

smuggler posted:

I am afraid to ask. ... do you have the source for this?

Here you go

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

I don't think they're going to take a QB in the first because I don't think they're ready to part with Bradford given how much money they owe him, and the fact that none of the QBs this year look like they would be a definite upgrade. That leaves either Clowney, a trade back, or over-drafting a position of need. Given that Clowney is the best prospect to come out since Luck I think they just suck it up and live with an embarrassment of riches on the defensive line, assuming they don't make a trade. Besides, I know their line was good last year, but having a guy on the edge who is strong enough to get by the tackle and also fast enough to chase down Kapernick or Wilson would certainly be more useful than an over-drafted offensive lineman.

Clowney for the Rams is the most luxury of luxury picks. I don't think they're taking a quarterback either, which is why a trade down seems the likeliest (and wisest) decision.

I know we're months away from the draft, but CBS has Jake Matthews as their #2 overall prospect, so drafting him wouldn't be "over-drafting." Greg Robinson is #4. Watkins, Barr and Mack are all in the Top 10 as well. If you're a team like St. Louis that already has some pretty good talent and just needs to fill some holes, taking a Top 10 prospect #2 overall isn't a huge reach, especially if they're taking quarterbacks off the board entirely.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Disillusionist posted:

Because if every qb is dead you win by default.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Because if every qb is dead you win by default.

- Lions fans after 2011/2013 drafts

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Disillusionist posted:

- Lions fans after 2011/2013 drafts

The Rams line is better.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Chichevache posted:

The Rams line is better.

I guess once Bradford inevitably injures himself again, they can level the playing field by taking out Kaep and Wilson :shrug:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Holy poo poo the kid went to my high school

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

I read the comments :negative:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I don't follow football too closely but as a rams fan I would like them to take clowney because if he has a chance to be a generational de, I think the rams should take him, even if they already have a very good line.

Missing on him because you already have a good line seems silly considering how fluid the league is and how quickly a team's fortunes can change.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Doltos posted:

I made a big reddit thread for learning about the draft that I might use as the OP for the next thread here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1y0xkm/i_love_the_draft_you_should_too_heres_a_guide_to/

Please just stay over there, they'll appreciate your opinions on racial minorities much more too I imagine!

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Doltos is a treasure even if he posts on reddit. He has the rear end and thighs of a black man.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

MonsterWalk posted:

Doltos is a treasure even if he posts on reddit. He has the rear end and thighs of a black man.

He's a loathsome, offensive brute, yet I cannot look away

-Me reading all of Doltos posts

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MonsterWalk posted:

He has the rear end and thighs of a black man.

Yeah, and no matter how many times we tell him they're not property anymore he still won't let them go.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Well that was informative and horrifying. Did Lewan take karate lessons at Cobra Kai as a kid?

"Stop crying rape or I'll give you something to cry rape about." - A Person Born After 1600 CE

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

uggy posted:

I don't follow football too closely but as a rams fan I would like them to take clowney because if he has a chance to be a generational de, I think the rams should take him, even if they already have a very good line.

Missing on him because you already have a good line seems silly considering how fluid the league is and how quickly a team's fortunes can change.

Getting too caught up into one non-Quarterback player is silly. How often do generational players actually improve a team singlehandedly? Suh was a generational DT and he hasn't turned the Lions around.

Focusing on one player isn't the point. The Seahawks had the league's best defense despite not having a single player on their line that anyone would have considered a Top 5 player at his position. The Rams already have a pretty good defense that could be improved with better OLBs and safeties. They also need a lot of help on offense, which is why a LT would make sense if they're sticking with Bradford. Taking Clowney isn't going to win them more games because you're marginally improving your best unit. You're basically upgrading your backup DE spot with either Long or Clowney, depending on whoever starts, with the #2 overall pick.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Disillusionist posted:

Getting too caught up into one non-Quarterback player is silly. How often do generational players actually improve a team singlehandedly? Suh was a generational DT and he hasn't turned the Lions around.

Focusing on one player isn't the point. The Seahawks had the league's best defense despite not having a single player on their line that anyone would have considered a Top 5 player at his position. The Rams already have a pretty good defense that could be improved with better OLBs and safeties. They also need a lot of help on offense, which is why a LT would make sense if they're sticking with Bradford. Taking Clowney isn't going to win them more games because you're marginally improving your best unit. You're basically upgrading your backup DE spot with either Long or Clowney, depending on whoever starts, with the #2 overall pick.

Why would they want a LT? They just payed Jake Long a pretty big chunk of money to guard Bradford. Honestly I can't think of a single offensive piece worth taking #2 overall for them. They just drafted more WRs last year, and presumably whoever they draft in that position will need time to mature anyway, so he wouldn't be an immediate contributor. They seem to have found their new RB in Stacy, and they already have a TE. I don't know enough about the rest of their line to speculate on whether they need to upgrade there, but they shouldn't have to use the #2 pick for that. So really, who is actually worth that spot besides Clowney or a QB? Obviously trading down is something to think about, but I really can't see why they should pass up on Clowney.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Because Long sucks and they will probably cut him after this year as the deal was designed that way.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Long was pretty drat good last year, at least going by PFF and the Rams games I watched. They're not cutting him even after he tore his ACL. The real concern is the right side with Roger Saffold headed for free agency.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Benne posted:

Long was pretty drat good last year, at least going by PFF and the Rams games I watched. They're not cutting him even after he tore his ACL. The real concern is the right side with Roger Saffold headed for free agency.

I meant after next year, not this offseason. And I would assume he won't be ready to start the season either and with no RT currently, I don't think it is out of line for the Rams to take a tackle.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

creamcorn posted:

Please just stay over there, they'll appreciate your opinions on racial minorities much more too I imagine!

Yep, you sure told me!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What's the prevailing thought on Taylor Lewan? I haven't looked at him over much because the prevailing storyline around him is a Michgan man's Incognito, which sounds just loving awful. Seems to project well as a zone scheme RT with the possilbity to grow into a proper LT. It all sounds so appealing but for the neanderthal shitbird part.

Are his personality issues perception or reality?

To get it out of the way I think Lewan is a major rear end in a top hat, a headcase on the field, and we already covered the rape stuff. From an analysis standpoint, he has a good set of hands. Total mauler, puncher, what have you. Apparently didn't give up a sack last year but I don't see him succeeding at LT at the NFL level. I said the same thing about Jake Long coming out and I was proven wrong on that too. Kind of a straight line blocker, might lose to guys who can get past his hands. NFL DEs are super active against handsy OTs which is why guys like Levi Brown fail.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Why would they want a LT? They just payed Jake Long a pretty big chunk of money to guard Bradford. Honestly I can't think of a single offensive piece worth taking #2 overall for them. They just drafted more WRs last year, and presumably whoever they draft in that position will need time to mature anyway, so he wouldn't be an immediate contributor. They seem to have found their new RB in Stacy, and they already have a TE. I don't know enough about the rest of their line to speculate on whether they need to upgrade there, but they shouldn't have to use the #2 pick for that. So really, who is actually worth that spot besides Clowney or a QB? Obviously trading down is something to think about, but I really can't see why they should pass up on Clowney.

I assumed Long would be gone based on what I've heard so far. Even if Long is back next year at a decent level, I still wouldn't take Clowney. I'd trade down. Taking a WR would be the last thing I'd do, even after taking Clowney.

The only way taking Clowney makes sense is if he's as good as advertised right away. Then you trade Chris Long in the last year or next-to-last year of his deal when the cap hit isn't as big, hopefully picking up a high pick in exchange. I assume Robert Quinn sticks around in this scenario because I think he's the better of the two already and he's still on his rookie deal.

The other obvious option is to take Barr/Mack. I don't watch CFB so I can't tell you how good those guys are. I do know that they have a need at OLB. A front 7 of:

Ogletree-Laurinaitis-Barr/Mack
Long-Brockers-Langford?-Quinn

would be pretty nasty. Especially if they landed Aaron Donald with their 2nd first round pick.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Your third LB isn't really a full time player unless the Rams hate the nickel.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Rams have another pick in the first round at 13 if they really want to take an OL and they would probably get more value there.

Locking Clowney in for a cheap 5 years is definitely worth it, even if it's only a marginal improvement next year. He's really really good.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Hand Row posted:

I meant after next year, not this offseason. And I would assume he won't be ready to start the season either and with no RT currently, I don't think it is out of line for the Rams to take a tackle.

They have Joe Barksdale at RT and he did pretty well last year. Saffold was actually playing RG the last part of the year. The Rams don't really need an OLB since they're in nickel a lot anyway and have two good cover linebackers in Laurinaitis and Ogletree. I'm way down with the Rams drafting Clowney with the #2 and saving #13 for something they actually need more, unless they can get a ton for #2.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lol Joe Barksdale. Also, why are people saying that the Rams suddenly have receivers because they drafted Tavon Austin last year? They had among the worst in the NFL last season until a little later in the year when they caught their stride a bit. If they couldn't trade down, Sammy Watkins would instantly be their best one, and actually has size, so if they took him at 2, it wouldn't be that big of a reach imo. It'd be better than having a rotation of loving ridiculous defensive ends.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

creamcorn posted:

I give Doltos a lot of poo poo but this is dumb

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

Lol Joe Barksdale. Also, why are people saying that the Rams suddenly have receivers because they drafted Tavon Austin last year? They had among the worst in the NFL last season until a little later in the year when they caught their stride a bit. If they couldn't trade down, Sammy Watkins would instantly be their best one, and actually has size, so if they took him at 2, it wouldn't be that big of a reach imo. It'd be better than having a rotation of loving ridiculous defensive ends.

I thought they drafted two or three guys who have a ton of potential but haven't finished developing yet. Stedman Bailey for example.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
And as for guys who are taller than 5'10" and don't weight less than 200 pounds?

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Volkerball posted:

And as for guys who are taller than 5'10" and don't weight less than 200 pounds?

They have Brian Quick, Austin Pettis and Chris Givens. If you're saying they need a big receiver, they certainly don't need to get one at #2. They could easily have their pick of either Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin at #13.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JRizzle posted:

They have Brian Quick, Austin Pettis and Chris Givens. If you're saying they need a big receiver, they certainly don't need to get one at #2. They could easily have their pick of either Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin at #13.

I think they should try and trade down, and maybe take a receiver at 13 depending on who's left, but if they can't, Watkins wouldn't be a terrible pick, and then they could likely go BPA at 13. They're going to be making a reach anyways, unless they decide to go on a QB, Clowney, or Matthews.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?

NippleFloss posted:

The Rams have another pick in the first round at 13 if they really want to take an OL and they would probably get more value there.

Locking Clowney in for a cheap 5 years is definitely worth it, even if it's only a marginal improvement next year. He's really really good.

I think the point is, what will they get more value out of. I think the extra few picks is more valuable to them then the position they already have covered. Who knows maybe the Redskins want to trade another year of draft picks to them again.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The NFL draft grades sure suggest Aaron Donald is garbage. I thought he was a consensus first round or two pick after the combine?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the NFL draft grades are either incomplete or measured compared to current NFL players. Rookies have a long way to go before they're NFL caliber which is why teams get so excited when rookies contribute in their first year, or even star in their first year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Goetta posted:

The NFL draft grades sure suggest Aaron Donald is garbage. I thought he was a consensus first round or two pick after the combine?

As far as I know, he is. Most mocks have him as a mid-1st rounder for what it's worth.

• Locked thread